Should Marijuana Be Legal?

I can, I would like to walk around with an assault rifle and my .45 semi. Just to, you know express my liberty.

Why are you so sure guns and liberty go hand in hand? Did you know that just about everyone in Iraq possessed guns throughout Hussein's dictatorship?

Edited by eyeball

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The real shame here is the myopic focus on marijuana. Marijuana should be legalized and taxed... no question about it.

But we need to look at other drugs as well. Cocaine, meth amphetamine, and heroin should be decriminalized, and criminal persecution should be replaced by midemeanors with small fines attached (similar to parking tickets or seatbelt fines)... money that could be used to make treatment readily available. And the entired recreational drug consumption management file should be taken out of control of departments of justice and moved to departments of health.

This would drastically reduce consumption, and drastically reduce the ammount of drug related deaths and drug related HIV transmission.

At this point it should be clear to everyone that the conservative approach of making drugs a moral and cultural issue, and crackin down and getting tough is not working... drug addiction should be treated as a health issue.

Decriminalize ALL of it... How on earth have we been so stupid for so long.

Just to play Devil's advocate, what makes you so sure that legalizing will make everything better? Why would legalizing reduce consumption and deaths? Are people using heroin just because it's not legal?

The real shame here is the myopic focus on marijuana. Marijuana should be legalized and taxed... no question about it.

But we need to look at other drugs as well. Cocaine, meth amphetamine, and heroin should be decriminalized, and criminal persecution should be replaced by midemeanors with small fines attached (similar to parking tickets or seatbelt fines)... money that could be used to make treatment readily available. And the entired recreational drug consumption management file should be taken out of control of departments of justice and moved to departments of health.

This would drastically reduce consumption, and drastically reduce the ammount of drug related deaths and drug related HIV transmission.

At this point it should be clear to everyone that the conservative approach of making drugs a moral and cultural issue, and crackin down and getting tough is not working... drug addiction should be treated as a health issue.

Decriminalize ALL of it... How on earth have we been so stupid for so long.

In general, I would agree and in fact I would say that it makes sense to legalize most drugs. I would suggest that health and criminal experts study them case by case and recommend approaches that would deliver the least harm to society; including harm to the people ingesting the drugs, impact to personal liberty, overall cost, and associated crime impacts.

For example, it may well be cheaper and less harmful for the government to simply give addicts heroin and a safe place to inject. That would take money away from organized crime, reduce the impetus for people to steal to support their drug habits, reduce associated policing and court costs, ensure that the drug content and purity was controlled and ensure that help is on hand in case of accidental overdoses. It also allows for counseling to be available when the addicts decide they want to quit.

I understand that this would be controversial but we need to get past the the mentality that says we can just control peoples behavior through big brother tactics. Short of implementing a police state, it doesn't work.

^ It's an opinion - one that, like yours makes no sense.

No, it's a fact. Guns offer zero protection from dictatorship and no guarantee of liberty whatsoever.

Three weeks ago, Chatterbox wondered aloud how Iraq could be a police state given that, according to Neil MacFarquhar of the New York Times, "Most Iraqi households own at least one gun." Chatterbox had been given to understand, by the National Rifle Association, that widespread gun ownership was a Jeffersonian bulwark against unfree government. Why did it fail in Iraq? Chatterbox invited readers to explain. Here are the answers he got: Iraq's Rebuke to the NRA

So your opinion doesn't make any sense at all compared to mine.

Edited by eyeball

Again, I'll preface by saying "i couldn't care less about legalizing drugs". OK!

Now, to think that society's problems will go away by legalizing is pure pie in the sky thinking. The safe injection site in Vancouver could barely hold it together with the overdoses and whatnot. But great, that's Vancouver, what about the rest of the junkies, the ones in Prince Rupert, Port Hardy, Chilliwack or any other smaller community? Do you know how many billions it would cost to open and staff (Doctors, Nurses, Chemists, maid service and cleaning staff) safe injection sites all over Canada? I know, more than policing - wrong! Not to mention followup and counselling. We can barely staff hospitals and you think our nurses would be better off injecting heroin into hundreds of junkies everyday? Whatever, I guess it would worth watching.

Again, I'll preface by saying "i couldn't care less about legalizing drugs". OK!

It's your disdain and lack of respect for individual liberties for things that make you go meh that's at issue.

It's easy to imagine someone like you wondering 'why all the fuss', over a few cracked heads when things like the emancipation of women, blacks, gays, and booze were under way. You've thrown up such a ridiculous string of premises for something you don't care about that what you don't care about is what matters now.

Why the hell do conservatives always feel this deep seated need to try and block, stall and delay every single effort of people to get out from under the thumbs of the state? What the hell's wrong with you people anyway? Whatever it is the effects of it are disturbingly obvious.

It's your disdain and lack of respect for individual liberties for things that make you go meh that's at issue.

It's easy to imagine someone like you wondering 'why all the fuss', over a few cracked heads when things like the emancipation of women, blacks, gays, and booze were under way. You've thrown up such a ridiculous string of premises for something you don't care about that what you don't care about is what matters now.

Why the hell do conservatives always feel this deep seated need to try and block, stall and delay every single effort of people to get out from under the thumbs of the state? What the hell's wrong with you people anyway? Whatever it is the effects of it are disturbingly obvious.

How am I blocking or stalling anything? I'm just pointing out that it won't be all milk and honey like you people seem to think.

P.S - Do you honestly think that supplying drugs to junkies is gonna help them "get out from under the thumbs of the state"? That's just laughable!

Now, to think that society's problems will go away by legalizing is pure pie in the sky thinking. The safe injection site in Vancouver could barely hold it together with the overdoses and whatnot. But great, that's Vancouver, what about the rest of the junkies, the ones in Prince Rupert, Port Hardy, Chilliwack or any other smaller community? Do you know how many billions it would cost to open and staff (Doctors, Nurses, Chemists, maid service and cleaning staff) safe injection sites all over Canada? I know, more than policing - wrong! Not to mention followup and counselling. We can barely staff hospitals and you think our nurses would be better off injecting heroin into hundreds of junkies everyday? Whatever, I guess it would worth watching.

For someone who couldn't care less, you sure have a lot of opinions. Which would be fine except that without exception, they are almost all misguided or just plain wrong. Go and do some research on insite before you spout off. There is a reason that health authorities support safe injection sites.

For someone who couldn't care less, you sure have a lot of opinions. Which would be fine except that without exception, they are almost all misguided or just plain wrong. Go and do some research on insite before you spout off. There is a reason that health authorities support safe injection sites.

You keep assuming that I'm against this. All i'm saying is that it's not gonna do what you think. I wish I was an idealist, then I'd agree with you. But lets be honest, safe injection sites are little more than band-aids. And...The cost to do that nationally would be astronomical.

Being born in Canada (under any government) is like winning the lottery and all you people can do is bitch about how hard done by you are because you can't smoke weed legally. Talk about 1st world problems. There are people getting slaughtered all over the world right now, I'd say we've got it pretty good.

The reason it's so good is because we have the backbone to bitch about, and more importantly, work toward our freedoms. You are kind of sounding like you take it all for granted. That's how you lose it.

It's gonna be hilarious when weed gets legalized because you guys will realize that you can't just spark up wherever you want. You'll end up sitting in your basement in front of the Xbox high fiveing your buddies and talking about how free you are and how you changed you world - it's gonna be classic.

So if it's legalized why would I have to go to my basement. Your comment is classic, but not in the way I suspect you were trying for.