Should Marijuana Be Legal?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The reason it's so good is because we have the backbone to bitch about, and more importantly, work toward our freedoms. You are kind of sounding like you take it all for granted. That's how you lose it.

Sorry, I don't take a single thing for granted in Canada. I find it embarrassing that with the state of the world today, the biggest problem many Canadians have is legalizing (sort of) weed.

Sorry, I don't take a single thing for granted in Canada. I find it embarrassing that with the state of the world today, the biggest problem many Canadians have is legalizing (sort of) weed.

Ad what would make you jump to this ridiculous conclusion that it is seen as such a big problem? I suggest most of us really don't care beyond the fact that having the law still in pace can have an overly detrimental effect on someones life if you do happen to encounter a cop who wants to actually enforce it.

I very seldom smoke weed but if I do it's when I am having a pint at the pub with friends and we step outside to the street as with all the cigarette smokers.

You think they'll allow smoking weed on the streets? They want to give weed the same regulations as alcohol and they don't allow alcohol in the streets - so....

You keep assuming that I'm against this. All i'm saying is that it's not gonna do what you think. I wish I was an idealist, then I'd agree with you. But lets be honest, safe injection sites are little more than band-aids. And...The cost to do that nationally would be astronomical.

The cost is less than hospitalization of an overdosed person.

Plus, less spread of infections, including stds and hiv, which costs taxpayers.

Saves money, saves lives.

This is one of the many problems I have with the Conservatives. Safe sites should be a no brainer. Weed should not be an issue.

Just to play Devil's advocate, what makes you so sure that legalizing will make everything better? Why would legalizing reduce consumption and deaths? Are people using heroin just because it's not legal?

The hard drugs I mentioned should be decriminalized, not legalized.

It works because you take the money from the fines handed out for posession and consumption, and the money saved from prosecution and put it towards treatment and education. It also helps to stop treating drug addicts like an immoral, evil, subculture and treat them like sick people because they are way more likely seek treatment.

We know it works because its been tried... The policy I outlined was implemented in portugal in 2001. Heres some of the results.

8budc1zmvbnjvnxi2pnjt8qbisvp3ctjahonch39

trly2yvtiwi9uz5ixabemtimx0minsihj37j0myr

HIV infections attributed to drug use compared to EU.

0ljdalorqaq3huuzhcvuhrvcunnavag8khktfzlh

You know what went UP though? The number of drug users seaking treatments.

And a widely cited study published in 2010 in the British Journal of Criminology found that after decriminalization, Portugal saw a decrease in imprisonment on drug-related charges alongside a surge in visits to health clinics that deal with addiction and disease.

http://mic.com/articles/110344/14-years-after-portugal-decriminalized-all-drugs-here-s-what-s-happening

As for your previous post...

Isn't it funny that when talking about health we always hear that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. We strive for prevention, to catch something early, to work out and keep our blood pressure down/our cholesterol low etc.etc., but the argument for hard drugs is; we'll collect money from you and when you finally OD on smack, we'll be waiting.

Im glad you mentioned blood pressure and cholesterol! You are right... we educate people about these things and teach them to have a healthy diet and to excersize... and drugs like the one I mentioned should be the same. We should teach people that using them is a stupid thing to do, just like we teach them that smoking and drinking, and not excersizing, and eating crappy food are stupid things to do. This just reinforces my argument for changing the way we deal with drugs.

And despite the fact we work hard to educate people about blood pressure and cholesterol, we know that its still going to be a problem so we have treatment readily available.

Edited by dre

Why not? You can smoke a cigarette on the street.

It's been said over and over that they'll use the same laws as they do for alcohol, that means "Not outside, not in public", If you're doing it in public, you'll get fined. But, like cigarettes and unlike alcohol, you can't smoke indoors because of second hand smoke - so, whats left? It basically allows you to "buy and carry".

It's been said over and over that they'll use the same laws as they do for alcohol, that means "Not outside, not in public", If you're doing it in public, you'll get fined. But, like cigarettes and unlike alcohol, you can't smoke indoors because of second hand smoke - so, whats left? It basically allows you to "buy and carry".

The point being, once again, is that nobody will, or should , go to jail or have a record, for doing something that the overwhelming majority of the population has long ago deemed to not be criminal.

I find it funny that you think this is the biggest problem. Nobody said it's the biggest problem. It's just the topic of this thread.

• 5 months later...

How about a one stop law for substance use?

The prosecutor said in a legal filing he deserves six months in prison because he grew the plants in a room adjacent to one occupied by his teenage daughter.

Am I to understand there's no penalty for producing your own booze in the same dwelling children occupy?

I was wondering what everyone thinks of pot being legal. I think it should be, its less harmful than alcohol. Why should the government be able to tell me what I can and cannot do.

Why not?

Its not like it kills people.

The real question is, should we be policing peoples life styles, and why should those people who lead unhealthy lifestyles not pay more for their publicly funded health insurance.

If there are proven links between pot use at certain levels and health effects resulting in treatment requirements people should pay for those costs, much like people who drink in excess or smoke cigarettes or eat a high fat diet, or high sugar diet etc..

We should insure peoples drug usage does not negatively effect the non using population, like any other drug.

As far as recreational use of anything, as long as it isn't spilling over to cause public distress and alarm, such as instances of alcohol abuse that leads to public intoxication fines etc.. There should still be a factor in orderly society and protection of that order.

But no we shouldn't be telling them what to do, but we should be putting the costs on to them.

This means tracking people who purchase goods that are linked to ill health if they use public health insurance.

There is no way to do it perfectly.

If it correlates that there are no health problems caused, or it reduces health costs we should give users rebates on their health taxes, much like those who lead a proactive lifestyle that promotes healthy living.

Putting people in jail for having pot is just a waste of tax dollars in itself.

Canada is wasting its money policing drugs like marijuana and mushrooms.

It is the harder more addictive drugs that should be of concern.

A strategy of harm reduction and rehabilitation is key.

There is no reason I am aware of that pot should be criminal to possess or use.

I think if anything, a proactive strategy at getting pot breathalyzers out to the police, so that pot public intoxication and dui's can be better enforced, funded from the proceeds of pot sales is a good first earmark.

Making available vapourizers and promoting healthy marijuana use to continue to fuel the reduction of smoking carcinogens is another.

Increasing fines for making drugs available to minors who are not your own is another major step that should be taken that isn't.

We need to focus on controlling society by managing it, not by enforcing a brutish and inhumane way of treating people who opt lifestyles that do not damage society but rather only jeopardize their own wellbeing as we view it. People should be free to make their own lifestyle choices but we must insure it doesn't spill over to society in general.

You know people need to be educated how long pot will stay in their system just like alcohol, and establish a legal limit for driving or other activities such as operating machinery.

Lets be clear people are already, but we could be proactive in both public education and harm reduction campaigns that can be fuelled in by sales.

You know in addition to police, we should also be getting information from Judges because often they are the ones seeing the cases that involve drugs, charges under the drugs and substances act and would be aware of how the illegal use is spilling over into the public, and how legalizing and controlling drug sales will effect prior problems with the drug trade.

You know will ending the drug trade, make organized crime less likely to spill over into the general public?

You know I would highly recommend peoples healthcards be required for sale of pot, and that a record of their purchases of pot, and alchohol and cigarettes all be tracked as health statistics for health tax purposes. I could see this done for diet, or other known unhealthy activities to better gather statistics and assign costs for use.

Edited by nerve