Should Marijuana Be Legal?

5 hours ago, Boges said:

The upfront cost on liqour production is huge. Especially quality liqour. Not just stills but warehouses to age the liquor. 

If you could buy single malt scotch from a guy on the street, without having to pay an excise tax, people would be all over that. 

You can.

You can buy anything you want on the black market. Semis full of anything and everything, including booze, 'go missing' and are sold surreptitiously all the time.

Most people prefer to buy legal, not stolen property.

Most people would prefer to buy legal Marijuana too, as shown repeatedly in high percentages of people who would prefer it legalized.

Once it is legal, police will be all over the illegal trade. Most people will prefer to buy legal for that reason. 

I'm not buying your arguments against legalization.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Newfoundlander said:

(Why you'd make up the quote I striked out I don't know)

There's a difference is stores selling medical marijuana and just selling it to whoever walks in the door. 

If you read the thread further up you'd know.

One thing I would be against is selling pot at the liquor store. Marijuana has nothing to do with liquor, and needs a different type of store to be sold properly. Also that liquor is a far more harmful substance. Liquor kills, either by cancer or directly alcohol toxic overdose. If they decide to sell weed at the liquor store it will just show how brainless they truly are.

9 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

One thing I would be against is selling pot at the liquor store. Marijuana has nothing to do with liquor, and needs a different type of store to be sold properly. Also that liquor is a far more harmful substance. Liquor kills, either by cancer or directly alcohol toxic overdose. If they decide to sell weed at the liquor store it will just show how brainless they truly are.

I think dispensaries should be allowed, in a liquor store or any other store, but must be walled off with a lockable door (ie. not just a counter). Store staff should be certified, and must be present during the operating hours of that walled off unit. Wal-Mart can have a dispensary if they want, but the same rules apply. It would be like one of the hair cutting places they have, but you would need certified staff and the product must be sold within that unit.

7 hours ago, Omni said:

It should be a concern as THC levels vary and CBD's are being bred out, which is what you need if you are using pot for medical reasons. Bottom line, you don't know what you are getting from the black market.

That's why people feel compelled to establish personal growing rights.  Why should they trust some Big Pot Corp any more than a street dealer, both are only in it for greedy self-interest.  I'm afraid the long sordid history of customers/clients/constituents, etc. being lied to is just too long and sordid for many people to ever overlook again.

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

That's why people feel compelled to establish personal growing rights.  Why should they trust some Big Pot Corp any more than a street dealer, both are only in it for greedy self-interest.  I'm afraid the long sordid history of customers/clients/constituents, etc. being lied to is just too long and sordid for many people to ever overlook again.

As I've already opined, I suspect that the new legislation will allow you to grow your own weed similarly to how you can produce your own wine/beer for example. If I wish to go buy it, I would prefer a regulated Big Pot Corp. than a street vendor. 

6 hours ago, Omni said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are. Medical pot can already be grown at home.

Recreational use is to the government as the proverbial pea that plagued the Princess was. No matter how thick the mountain of pillows or legal/moral/ethical precedents for getting off people backs - the state/Princess will forever remain in a boundless discomfort zone.

Ironically...plead a sore back and presto. Anyone can be a Princess.

Edited by eyeball

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

As I've already opined, I suspect that the new legislation will allow you to grow your own weed similarly to how you can produce your own wine/beer for example. If I wish to go buy it, I would prefer a regulated Big Pot Corp. than a street vendor. 

I'm not holding my breath on that score. Trudeau and Blair seem to be a pair of real vindictive bastards.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Recreational use is to the government as the proverbial pea that plagued the Princess was. No matter how thick the mountain of pillows or legal/moral/ethical precedents for getting off people backs - the state/Princess will forever remain in a boundless discomfort zone.

Ironically...plead a sore back and presto. Anyone can be a Princess.

Legalize it, tax it, keep kids out of jail, carry on. Easy.

5 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm not holding my breath on that score. Trudeau and Blair seem to be a pair of real vindictive bastards.

I don't see them as vindictive bastards, but more to the point, why wouldn't they allow for home grown for personal use. Can you imagine a bigger waste of police resources than having them snooping around to try to find a half dozen plants in someones basement?

7 hours ago, Boges said:

I love how we're supposed to respect regulations and pay taxes like good boys and girls when we've been ignoring a criminal code law for a long, long time.

This is the degradation of polity that I mentioned above. Its occurred due to years of deeply scornful attitudes and laws. The Man has been an object of ridicule for just too long now in millions of people's eyes.

4 hours ago, jacee said:

You can.

You can buy anything you want on the black market. Semis full of anything and everything, including booze, 'go missing' and are sold surreptitiously all the time.

Most people would prefer to buy legal Marijuana too, as shown repeatedly in high percentages of people who would prefer it legalized.

Once it is legal, police will be all over the illegal trade. Most people will prefer to buy legal for that reason. 

The problem is that the government will see this market as a cash cow, and divide it up between them and their big business friends. This is still better than prohibition but its nowhere near an ideal situation. They SHOULD just take the same rules that apply to carrots and apply them to weed. You can grow it yourself, or a business can grow it. If you sell it to your friends or at a booth at your local farmers market in small amounts then no big deal. If you want to be a major distributor you need to follow some rules and submit yourself to government inspections.

The government should just do NOTHING. Remove it from the list of prohibited substances, and just see what the market does.

26 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I was smoking tobacco at age 13 and I have emphesema.

That is very unfortunate. Recent developments show that tobacco companies already knew that the stuff gave you serious disease as far back as the 1950's. They purposely concealed this information. Alcohol is even worse, contributing to a large number of head and neck cancers as well as others. It's not just cirrhosis. And yet even today, most people are unaware of this. These two substances should be heavily controlled in the interest of public safety. Marijuana is less harmful than tobacco or alcohol, although it is not completely harm free. Long term heavy use can be damaging to the vital organs of the body. The public should be educated about the relative harm of these 3 substances.

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

Exactly. These fools are talking about a minimum age of 25 or something like that. To "protect" the young developing brain. That's ludicrist.

I was smoking dope at age 12, and I'm completely fine.

If you are you are damn lucky and we shouldn't ignore the proceeds of medical research. Smoking dope at 12 is dangerous, especially with the high THC and low CBD levels we see today.  

14 hours ago, jacee said:

You can.

That all depends on the pricing model used. If it's a lot more than the comparable street price. No Fricken way people are going to buy in. 

I'm not opposed to it. I just believe the way governments in Canada over regulate things like this will mean it won't be the cash cow they hoped. And governments will have to spend a fortune enforcing their new pot monopoly. 

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

Apparently recognizing sarcasm isn't one of yours. See what that early smoking does!

Lol show me where you were being sarcastic in this, bubba riley.

20 hours ago, Omni said:

If you are you are damn lucky and we shouldn't ignore the proceeds of medical research. Smoking dope at 12 is dangerous, especially with the high THC and low CBD levels we see today.  

You are answering rationally to my jokes. Powned ya nigga

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/marijuana-task-force-highlights-1.3894219

So all that money spent on this taskforce and no recommendations on pricing? What good is that? 

They do recommend that they don't sell cannabis at the same place as selling alcohol. Obviously these aren't binding anyway, so I still predict Ontario will lob this softball to the Unions at the LCBO and allow them to sell it there. 

It's good that they won't clamp down on someone that wants to grow their own, that would be utterly unenforcible anyway. 

You also see how a Canadian model will differ from what we see in the US with a recommendation that nothing sold should appeal to children. Meaning that certain edibles wouldn't be allowed.