Romney, The Inevitable Nominee

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. If Romney gets the nomination, which looks all but certain barring catastrophe, it will be a very close election. Both are closer to the center and both are decent candidates, and so swing-voters will have an interesting time deciding.
I wonder how close it will be. I happen to think that it's not so close and Obama will win. But what do I know?

I agree that both Romney and Obama are decent, honest men who respect rules. No one knows now who will be President in 2013 but everyone knows that the US will inaugurate a president in January 2013.

Compare this situation with Russia, China, Europe, Africa or South America. The US presidency is uncertain but it is stable. Other States aspire to stability hoping to control uncertainty. They attempt to be certain but are unstable.

America, what a country! It is stable but uncertain.

----

For those who believe that the "fix is in", in Russia, China and too often in South America, leaders pick their successor.

Is there any evidence that Obama and Romney have colluded?

Informed people around the world marvel at America's stability, and its uncertainty. For over 200 years, this mathematical marvel is truly a shining light.

Edited by August1991

I too was surprised that he didn't mention this.

Anyone writing for the N.Y. Times assumes a casual reader who does not have the time or experience to refute little details like that. In his usual publication, Commentary, he'd never omit discussion of that kind of issue.

But the most recent one-termers - Bush I and Carter - were felled by recession. Ford was too, I guess, but he was a no-termer never having been elected to Vice President or President.

In the case of Carter the economy was perceived to be in an inflation more than recession at election time; the recession came later. And Bush I's recession was very mild.

In Bush I's case, I think it was due more to the fact that Clinton was a very good candidate and "Republican fatigue" had set in. We usually switch parties after 8 or the most 12 years. The 20 year Democratic run from 1932 to 1952 was fueled by Depression and war and was extraordinary. Same with the 1861 to 1881 Republican run. That was fueled by the Civil War and the resulting exclusion of then usually Democratic states from voting.

Carter was also felled by a combination of a good candidate and overall chaos; economic and foreign. I think Obama faces a slightly less-good candidate, but similar chaos. Time will tell.

big deal:

Ron Paul Receives Pivotal Endorsement of South Carolina State Senator Tom Davis

COLUMBIA, S.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- 2012 Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul received today the key endorsement of tea party favorite and South Carolina political heavyweight, state Sen. Tom Davis (R-Beaufort).

His endorsement also is viewed as a political game-changer by many in South Carolina Republican Party circles.

big deal:

Ron Paul Receives Pivotal Endorsement of South Carolina State Senator Tom Davis

COLUMBIA, S.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- 2012 Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul received today the key endorsement of tea party favorite and South Carolina political heavyweight, state Sen. Tom Davis (R-Beaufort).

His endorsement also is viewed as a political game-changer by many in South Carolina Republican Party circles.

Like I've already said in another thread you've posted this in. Senator who?

Like I've already said in another thread you've posted this in. Senator who?

i thought you followed politics beyond the foxnews headlines. if you did, you'd know tom davis to have been one of the most sought after politicians in south carolina by the gop candidates. davis is quite popular with the tea party. santorum also acknowledges davis' importance and that's why he called his endorsement a 'big deal'.

Newt Gingrich had a fantastic debate. I figured Romney had South Carolina locked up. I'm thinking now that Newt could actually win it.

Yes, but there's Thursday. And this go-round the voters are focusing on electability. Mitt is electable; not so much Newt.

I may be out on a limb here, but Romney may not be the first politician who has told lies.

True, and that's almost being apologetic to the current culture within politics. There is another politician on that stage who is consistent in his speech and says the same things now as 30-40 years ago. The other clowns on stage have not been consistent from week to week. Anyone who has payed the slightest attention to these debates know and understand that. If you want integrity and consistency, there is only one reasonable choice.

Romney is a psychopath that will say anything that is needed to get elected. How many times has he flip flopped on issues already? People actually want this lying clown as President?

A politician who will say anything to get elected, this isn't exactly a news flash, all politicians will say anything to get elected. Calling him a psychopath is a bit of a stretch though.

Are you suggesting that Ron Paul is the only reasonable choice? Hasn't he said some pretty off-the-wall statements?

A politician who will say anything to get elected, this isn't exactly a news flash, all politicians will say anything to get elected. Calling him a psychopath is a bit of a stretch though.

He will say things to get the cheers of the current crowd in the local he is in. Maybe more sociopath than anything, which is another form of psychopath.

Are you suggesting that Ron Paul is the only reasonable choice? Hasn't he said some pretty off-the-wall statements?

Name one candidate who has not said some off the wall things. Pay attention to how they are speaking as well. If they sound like they are giving a speech, they are doing nothing but spewing off talking points. If they are talking like you and me while stating their views, chances are they really believe in what they are saying.

Bachmann was a perfect example of a talking point robot.

He will say things to get the cheers of the current crowd in the local he is in. Maybe more sociopath than anything, which is another form of psychopath.

Name one candidate who has not said some off the wall things. Pay attention to how they are speaking as well. If they sound like they are giving a speech, they are doing nothing but spewing off talking points. If they are talking like you and me while stating their views, chances are they really believe in what they are saying.

Bachmann was a perfect example of a talking point robot.

So if they are giving a speech they are allowed to say off the wall things? But if it turns out that they are saying lies, then that's crossing the line?

I do agree that they all say off the wall sounding things, but some more than others. Perhaps the media, always looking to report something eye catching, has turned us into a bunch of 'gotcha' fans.

So if they are giving a speech they are allowed to say off the wall things? But if it turns out that they are saying lies, then that's crossing the line?

I do agree that they all say off the wall sounding things, but some more than others. Perhaps the media, always looking to report something eye catching, has turned us into a bunch of 'gotcha' fans.

Exactly. To me, actions speak much louder than words as a politician. So when I look at what Romney's done as a governor, as a business leader, as a manager, and in the Olympics, it gives us a good body of work. It shows us how he would manage and govern as a president and as a leader. Soundbites from speeches or debates from things said now, or 15 years ago aren't that relevant in my mind. A resume matters more.