Romney, The Inevitable Nominee

NY Times

FOR the next three months, the political press will engage in an extended masquerade, designed to persuade credulous readers and excitable viewers that the Republican presidential nomination is actually up for grabs. ... barring an unprecedented suspension of the laws of American politics, Mitt Romney has this thing wrapped up.

Reading this, I am disillusioned that the campaign is so designed for maximum spectacle but there isn't much doubt as to the result.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're disillusioned because the Republicans have a lacklustre field of unwinnable candidates, but they're going forward with the primary process anyway?

I'm disillusioned that the news networks are making a game of this, when it does seem that there is only one choice. That's a conflict of interest, i.e. making up news that isn't real.

I'm disillusioned that the news networks are making a game of this, when it does seem that there is only one choice. That's a conflict of interest, i.e. making up news that isn't real.

If the Mormon church tells him to shun certain people, will President Romney obey?

You're disillusioned because the Republicans have a lacklustre field of unwinnable candidates, but they're going forward with the primary process anyway?

They're only unwinnable if US voters decide they want Obama for another term. I think if there was a reasonable republican candidate, they'd go with him/ her.

I don't think Perry will go the distance, but Cain still has some momentum. At least in the way he's being portrayed by media on the web.

They're only unwinnable if US voters decide they want Obama for another term. I think if there was a reasonable republican candidate, they'd go with him/ her.

I don't think Perry will go the distance, but Cain still has some momentum. At least in the way he's being portrayed by media on the web.

Cain lost his chance of beating Obama when he told a TV camera that unemployed people have only themselves to blame for being unemployed, and poor people have only themselves to blame for being poor.

If the Mormon church tells him to shun certain people, will President Romney obey?

Good question. Kinda like the same questions put to John F Kennedy when he ran for President. Will his loyalty be with America or the Vatican. I can't believe there are still bigots like you around in society. :rolleyes:

Good question. Kinda like the same questions put to John F Kennedy when he ran for President. Will his loyalty be with America or the Vatican. I can't believe there are still bigots like you around in society. :rolleyes:

The Catholic Church never ordered its people to shun those the Church didn't like, including immediate family members. The Mormon Church does this on a regular basis. My questioning that doesn't constitute bigotry, its a symbol of a mind that questions, something you have long lacked in your fanatic adherence to Republican talking points.

Good point...now I know why the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (LDS) has been running ad campaigns in certain US markets. These are directed at the bigots out there specifically, and the general public for awareness of the issue. This may or may not help candidate Romney, but hard core religious bigots won't be so easily convinced.

The Catholic Church never ordered its people to shun those the Church didn't like

Never? You might wanna reexamine history before you state such a premise. Some homosexuals might disagree with your assessment, as would others, like say umarried pregnant women, women opting for abortions, and couple's that opted for divorce.

Anyways, you really don't care about his religion. This type of questioning is just used as a disguise to hide certain types of bigotry. I'm just suprised that it's still going on. In a way it's very similar to the birther movement.

JFK answered frank questions from FDR Jr. about his Catholicism. The candidate said that if elected president, he would take his oath to uphold the Constitution on a Bibleand thus if he broke that vow, he would not only deserve impeachment but would also be "sinning against God."

At one level, Kennedy seemed only to be pleading that his loyalty to country preceded his loyalty to any religious dictatesthat he could be trusted.

Slate

I had no idea it was 1960 all over again. :rolleyes:

Sad.

Edited by Shady

Never? You might wanna reexamine history before you state such a premise. Some homosexuals might disagree with your assessment, as would others, like say umarried pregnant women, women opting for abortions, and couple's that opted for divorce.

Yeah...it was laughable when I read that too. And that doesn't include the Middle Ages! ;)

Reading this, I am disillusioned that the campaign is so designed for maximum spectacle but there isn't much doubt as to the result.

it's like an NFL game, 2hr's of air time but only 12 minutes of actual game time...all those talking heads need to fill up the dead air time with endless chatter to convince you something exciting is happening...

as you say it's all over Perry is dim bulb racist birther...Cain and his "9-9-9 err no I meant 9-0-9","It's the unemployed's fault that they're unemployed" is done...Bachmann is just better looking Palin and a religious wack-a-doodle...the only other viable candidate is Paul and his message is to honest for american right to accept..

it's like an NFL game, 2hr's of air time but only 12 minutes of actual game time...all those talking heads need to fill up the dead air time with endless chatter to convince you something exciting is happening...

Apparently it works, as not only do Americans watch the show, so do Canadians like you.

If you went back and looked at NYT articles about four years ago, it looked like Hillary Clinton had the nomination locked up too. She was far ahead in the polls. Even I thought that she would lead the Democratic ticket.

And then, things changed.

Let's wait and see.

----

BTW, the bigger question in my mind is whether Obama will get re-elected. Despite the bad economic numbers, I think that he will.

If you went back and looked at NYT articles about four years ago, it looked like Hillary Clinton had the nomination locked up too. She was far ahead in the polls. Even I thought that she would lead the Democratic ticket.

Indeed...I thought the same thing. There is a reason we play the games instead of just skipping to a general election. There is no better test for a candidate's mettle. People like Dion or Ignatieff would never make it to the finish line.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Cain lost his chance of beating Obama when he told a TV camera that unemployed people have only themselves to blame for being unemployed, and poor people have only themselves to blame for being poor.
That's just black talk-radio schtick. If Cain ever won the nomination, I don't think it would matter since other factors would matter more. Edited by August1991

If you read the NYT article, it's not about poll numbers (Cain is ahead) but about money and whether they are electable. The logic seems sound to me.

That's just black talk-radio schtick. If Cain ever won the nomination, I don't think it would matter since other factors would matter more.

Sure... other factors like him saying that they should electrocute Mexicans, or that a community should be able to ban a Mosque or that abortion should be illegal or that the poor should pay more taxes than they do now, and the rich should pay much less.

Also ... apparently that smoking is cool.

Why does a flat tax scare you? He's the only one with an original easy to digest plan for the voters. What do the other guys have?

It doesn't scare me one bit, but even the other Republicans know that it's not going to work. Also, it's not original ... we had flat tax proposals in past elections too.