OCCUPY

WWWTT

IBut heres the thing... the protesters dont really have to do ANYTHING AT ALL! If they are right and the current system in unsustainable then the system will collapse on its own. If they are wrong... and the system IS sustainable, and our economic system is sound... then we see robust economic growth, lots of jobs, and plenty of tax revenue for services. If that happens the occupiers will just go home.

This assumes they want the system to collapse. I wouldn't be surprised if some do but that was not the original intention behind this movement as I understand it. They wanted change, not collapse.

As far as the present occupiers are concerned, it is time to go home, if they have one. For those who are serious about making positive changes in the system, it is time to regroup and become more organized and coherent. Right now "Occupy" has been pretty much highjacked by other interests which have little to do with improving the present economic system or the well being of the average working stiff.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

I just read the list. About 33% of it is various levels of crazy (9/11 truth, pulling out of NATO and trade agreements etc.) and the rest is stuff already pursued by other parties (it sounds like they want to get rid of the wheat board, by the way, so there's at least one CPC thing on there).

For the non-crazy things, the shopping list is expensive. Canadians just won't want to pay for those things, whether it's the 99% or the 1%.

There's an outside chance this thing will lead to a discussion on what we do pay for today, how much it costs, and whether we should be paying for other things instead.

I too just reread their “demands” and I'm trying to find something that might appeal to Conservatives.......

9. We demand that supply management of agricultural products be ended.

As you mentioned, the Wheat Board

15. We demand the installation of a proportional representation system in all municipal, provincial and federal elections. We demand the adoption of Swiss-style direct democracy and Nunavut-style consensus-decision-making into all political processes.

Well not in it's entirety, but perhaps the PR experiment could be tried with an elected Senate

26. We demand that "none of the above" be an option on all electoral ballots.

Sure, why not.

29. We demand massage, dental and eye care be covered under the health care system.

I’m sure my wife, a dentist, would benefit.

30. We demand an end to gender and racial discrimination in the workplace. We demand pay equity and employment equity. We demand equal pay for different but equivalent work.

Does than included Unions compared to the private sector?

31. We demand the right of self-determination for all indigenous nations. We demand a speedy resolutions to all outstanding land claims acceptable to all parties concerned.

Didn't we do that with Quebec? And I’d be in favour of ending all land claims, the establishment of self government on reserves and the end to the department of Aboriginal affairs.

39. We demand that prostitution be legalized and regulated as it is in New Zealand.

Sure, why not.......As long as it can be taxed.

53. We demand the removal of all the red tape around the growing of industrial hemp.

By all means.....

But, as a taxpayer, I demand the Government evict them first from public land.

Guest Derek L

Paying homage to the movie v for vendetta. They want to act out the last scene where the crowd marches in the street. Unfortunately, they have no crowd...

I admit, I haven’t seen the entire movie, but with what you’re saying, their costumes/masks are akin to Trekies?

Paying homage to the movie v for vendetta. They want to act out the last scene where the crowd marches in the street. Unfortunately, they have no crowd...

There are a few things on that list that call back to movies, especially documentaries such as The Corporation, Loose Change, and Gasland.

But, as a taxpayer, I demand the Government evict them first from public land.

Then start your own protest with this as your first of demands.

Go down to your local municipal public square and set up a tent.

Makes perfect sence to me!

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

Guest Derek L

Then start your own protest with this as your first of demands.

Go down to your local municipal public square and set up a tent.

Makes perfect sence to me!

WWWTT

I have no need to, the, the Campers in Victoria, Vancouver, Quebec City and now Calgary will soon be gone……..I heard those in Saskatoon have already left….

I have no need to, the, the Campers in Victoria, Vancouver, Quebec City and now Calgary will soon be gone……..I heard those in Saskatoon have already left….

Do you believe that they will not be coming back?Say April when the weather warms up.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

I meant to continue the OCCUPY protest.

WWWTT

I asked this earlier, do their demands/proposals lose merit when they are not living in tents? If so, wouldn’t the creditability and commitment of said movement come into question when they leave due to the elements?

Let me ask you something Wild have you yourself actually gone down to an OCCUPY protest and talked with some of the people there?

WWWTT

Nope! I live in Hamilton and there don't appear to be any such protesters here!

Sorry, but I just don't feel the cost of gas and time to drive to Toronto and pay parking just on the off chance I might find an intelligent protester is worth the effort!

I have to earn a living and what little disposable income I have I save for a couple of beer in a blues joint once in a while.

However, since it's apparently important to YOU perhaps you'd pay my expenses? Or at least spring for a few beer?

Nope! I live in Hamilton and there don't appear to be any such protesters here!

Sorry, but I just don't feel the cost of gas and time to drive to Toronto and pay parking just on the off chance I might find an intelligent protester is worth the effort!

I have to earn a living and what little disposable income I have I save for a couple of beer in a blues joint once in a while.

However, since it's apparently important to YOU perhaps you'd pay my expenses? Or at least spring for a few beer?

Ill buy you a beer Bill, or a few! You gotta get yourself to BC though :P

I asked this earlier, do their demands/proposals lose merit when they are not living in tents? If so, wouldn’t the creditability and commitment of said movement come into question when they leave due to the elements?

I would assume that this protest will lose steam/punch with the season change.

I don't think merit of why they are protesting is dependant on how they protest.

WWWTT

It sounds like you are already half way to understanding why these kids are protesting.

WWWTT

Guest Derek L

I would assume that this protest will lose steam/punch with the season change.

I agree, and I stated as such a few weeks ago in one (or two) of the numerous threads on the subject……..A lack of resolve in their beliefs.

I don't think merit of why they are protesting is dependant on how they protest.

Then why not leave the campsites? The public wants it, the cities are going to do it.........No one is saying they can't return every single morning and go at it till dark......This might also help address the falling numbers and the winter.

I agree, and I stated as such a few weeks ago in one (or two) of the numerous threads on the subject……..A lack of resolve in their beliefs.

Then why not leave the campsites? The public wants it, the cities are going to do it.........No one is saying they can't return every single morning and go at it till dark......This might also help address the falling numbers and the winter.

I guess we will just have to wait and see after they take their winter time out.

Until then its only speculation.

WWWTT