US soldier throws puppy from cliff

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a day goes by that I don't want to throw a dog over a cliff, especially accessory dogs, sweaters and handbags and all. Woosh. Thud.

The dog in the video was cute, though. I hope that Marine meets an IED with his name on it.

Yes, because the appropriate penalty for killing an animal should be death.

:rolleyes:

Anyways, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but there have been doubts raised as to the authenticity of the video. One of them being the fake squealing of the dog.

....Anyways, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but there have been doubts raised as to the authenticity of the video. One of them being the fake squealing of the dog.

It was mentioned, but the rabid delight in condemning the US military rushed ahead of any investigation. Animal rights folks demand that even prank cell phone videos include the obligatory disclaimer:

The “No Animals Were Harmed”® End Credit Disclaimer is awarded only to productions that were monitored by American Humane’s Certified Animal Safety Representatives and which meet or exceed the strict standards laid out in our Guidelines for the Safe Use of Animals in Filmed Media.

It was mentioned, but the rabid delight in condemning the US military rushed ahead of any investigation. Animal rights folks demand that even prank cell phone videos include the obligatory disclaimer:

The “No Animals Were Harmed”® End Credit Disclaimer is awarded only to productions that were monitored by American Humane’s Certified Animal Safety Representatives and which meet or exceed the strict standards laid out in our Guidelines for the Safe Use of Animals in Filmed Media.

Not only that, but they suddenly turn into proponents of capital punishment. Except of course to murderers and rapists. Ahh liberal logic. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

:lol:

I'll reserve judgement until I have the facts, not just video. If he did throw the puppy off the cliff he'll be shunned by his peers for a life time. He might as well resign because he'll have a target on his back whilst in the military.

I'll reserve judgement until I have the facts, not just video. If he did throw the puppy off the cliff he'll be shunned by his peers for a life time. He might as well resign because he'll have a target on his back whilst in the military.

Maybe yes...maybe no. Forces in Afghanistan have been cited for burning Taliban corpses....were they dead or alive?

I agree with everyone that this guy is a sick person. These guys who have been in combat especially are sick mentally and usually sent back to the battlefield on anti-depression medication that can make a person feel and do things like throwing a pup over the cliff. Can anyone imagine what it must be like some of these guys who don't want to be there and want out? If this war ever ends and these guys come home , wait 6 months to a year and they'll be shooting people here just like they did what the guys came back from Nam.

It must be nice to sit back and make final judgement on a kid who we have never met....with little to none of the info we would need to really judge him, or convict him... but that happens alot around here... In this case he's an american, and a soldier... and he fits nicely into our favorite pass time of "bashing" our niebours to the south, and the Iraq war...

I don't condone his actions, they lacked judgement, and humanity, and disrespected the uniform and organization he represents and worked so hard to be apart of....but at most he is guilty of abusing an animal....Not murder or rape...but abusing an animal...and deserves to be punished if guilty, not put to death, or voted off the island, like some sugested....the system should be offering this guy the help he needs...both mentally, and physically.

Our nations have long since gotten comfortable with the notion of sending it's citizens into combat. failing to relieze that it is these same soldiers are going to need care when they return, and when care is offered, it is to little to late ........Todays soldiers have volunteered, and are normal people just like everyone on this board, they come from across the country and from a broad spectrum of back grounds. there not already killers or the dreges of our nations, but normal people like you and me.......It is War or combat that changes them..And unless you've experianced combat you won't understand. it is as close to hell as you can come...and watching saving private ryan does not count.......the experiance changes them forever...We as a nation need to own that problem, and we need to do more to solve it....

I don't see this soldiers actions as a crime but more of a cry for help....one that we need to act upon before his actions have bigger consquences...

It must be nice to sit back and make final judgement on a kid who we have never met....with little to none of the info we would need to really judge him, or convict him... but that happens alot around here... In this case he's an american, and a soldier... and he fits nicely into our favorite pass time of "bashing" our niebours to the south, and the Iraq war...

Well yea...but what's this guys excuse? War in Alberta?

29 horses die of starvation, 101 saved from Alberta ranch

An animal welfare organization seized 101 starving horses from an Alberta ranch, but it was too late for 29 others that died of appalling neglect.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2008/03/09/alta-horses.html

I think the real issue here is that the soldier personifies everything negative about the current USA.

And when you are running around the world "tossing innocent puppies" and "enforcing freedom and democracy" -- this is the response you can expect.

And our ranchers are held to a higher moral standard than your soldiers so I say prosecute the bastard with the horses -- he certainly should know better, being that animals are his life. The soldier, of course, being of lower moral standard, need not rise up and face his actions at all, after all he's just a grunt right? NOT.

I think the real issue here is that the soldier personifies everything negative about the current USA.

And when you are running around the world "tossing innocent puppies" and "enforcing freedom and democracy" -- this is the response you can expect.

As opposed to tossing "guilty" puppies? :blink::blink::blink:

And our ranchers are held to a higher moral standard than your soldiers so I say prosecute the bastard with the horses -- he certainly should know better, being that animals are his life. The soldier, of course, being of lower moral standard, need not rise up and face his actions at all, after all he's just a grunt right? NOT.

No they aren't...Canada has some of the weakest animal abuse laws in the world, and is famous for animal abuse.

Kill babies....NOT PUPPIES!

*doesn't*

*understand*

*sarcasm*

So I guess you do hold Canadian ranchers (or whoever the horse guy was) to a higher moral standard than your soldiers? Hmmm... Thought you were one of those rah rah troops kinda guys -- guess I was wrong. *shrug*

So I guess you do hold Canadian ranchers (or whoever the horse guy was) to a higher moral standard than your soldiers? Hmmm... Thought you were one of those rah rah troops kinda guys -- guess I was wrong. *shrug*

No, Canadian Forces fight next to our "soldiers" for "freedom and democracy"......defending your right to abuse animals it would seem.

Kill babies...NOT PUPPIES!

You are correct.

I just absolutely love to rub America's nose in its own shit.

And people like you who would defend the soldier and make excuses for his behaviour just make it so easy. *shrug* :lol:

You are winning the race to the bottom -- congratulations.

Ummm. I dont know if you are reading the same thread I am, but people were defending the American forces not the soldier.

Anyone hear any word yet as to the authenticity of the video? If it was real then as I've said before this persons behaviour is indefensible. If it is indeed fake then the only harm done is to the USMC, though it does indicate that this guy and his friends have a somewhat unbalanced sense of humour.

I read yesterday that it is still under investigation.

It's just a god damn dog - a carnivor and scavenger by nature - dogs do not have "unconditional love" - they have unconditional hunger and will eat your face for the most part if you go into a coma - having said that..and I do like dogs - but - where is the outrage when a baby is tossed off a bridge onto the 401 highway from an over pass? Forget the god damn frinking dogs and save the humans - YOU must relize when you give human rights to a dog - human rights for humans degrade till we are all damned dogs.

Guest American Woman
Anyone hear any word yet as to the authenticity of the video?

I check snopes for an update. It's posted there as "undetermined" regarding authenticity right now, but I imagine that will be updated to "true" or "false" accordingly once a determination has been made.

I, for one, wonder why it's taking so long to make the determination. I hope this isn't another issue that will just fade away with time with no resolution. I'd like to know if it's real or fake. I actually thought it looked fake from the onset, which is why I did a search to see if there was any question about the authenticity. But if it is a fake, I'm sure that will come out. If we don't hear any more, I think that will 'say' it was authentic.

Army Guy, you made a lot of good points; and jefferiah, you are right. Any support in this thread is for the troops, not for the soldier's alleged actions.

I check snopes for an update. It's posted there as "undetermined" regarding authenticity right now, but I imagine that will be updated to "true" or "false" accordingly once a determination has been made.

I think the guy who did it said that they normally shoot dogs that are doomed to suffer, but this time he got creative and tossed it over the cliff. Strange how 100,000 innocent people can die in a war and all anybody cares about is a stupid dog.

Guest American Woman

If it's true that they usually shoot dogs that are doomed to suffer, perhaps that's what happened in this instance-- and the dog was already dead. But I do believe people are capable of caring about both people and animals. I know I am. <_<

But I do believe people are capable of caring about both people and animals. I know I am.

Spot on. You just nailed it.

The reaction that I've sean so far appears to be quite polarized. If you care about animals you obviously don't care about starving brutalized people. I fail to see the connection myself.

I, for one, wonder why it's taking so long to make the determination.

Investigation of the death of a dog is far harder than the death of a man. If the victom was a man, the investigators would always be able to find some his friends or relatives for getting information. But from where they could find the dog's friends? They would hardly be sure the dog have ever existed if the dog's corpse has been eaten by a vulture or something and the soldiers denied what they threw off the cliff was a real dog.

I hope this isn't another issue that will just fade away with time with no resolution. I'd like to know if it's real or fake. I actually thought it looked fake from the onset, which is why I did a search to see if there was any question about the authenticity. But if it is a fake, I'm sure that will come out. If we don't hear any more, I think that will 'say' it was authentic.

I don't think American government needs cover this event up if it was the action of an individual soldier. But I remember I have ever read some articles which described that some western armies used the way of killing animals to train their commandos "brutal", because most western kids were grown in "civilized" environment and was supposed not brutal enough to be a good soldier. They think if a soldier was not brutal enough to kill a dog or rabbit, how would they expect him to trigger his gun at the first moment as he met an enemy soldier in battle field? perhaps this soldier is not a common soldier, he is the one of those who were trained to do this without any guilty feeling to perform special assignment. This is why they posted the video on the internet and were not aware they were making trouble for themselves.

From another point of view, I technically also feel some detials of the video is suspicious. The all video was obviously recorded by a mobile phone or a mini digital camara but the puppy's whine was too clear even if she has gone as far as at the bottom of cliff. I think the microphone of the soldier's cell phone must be very sensitive or there maybe were other causes beyond what we could see from video.

Edited by xul