Anti-Conservative Bias in CBC and MSM

It’s so painfully obvious that the CBC, Toronto Star, CTV and most mainstream media are cheerleading for Trudeau.  The government-funded MSM is not a free press and is clearly fear-mongering, painting the Conservatives as extremist, this time because Poilievre shook hands with some anti-carbon tax protesters.  The Liberal shills will no doubt continue their propaganda on the CBC’s At Issue panel and in opinion pieces dressed as news all the way up to the election.

Jerema says it well:

”To any normal observer, Poilievre was endorsing the protesters’ stance on the carbon tax, a fact the Star’s Raj barely acknowledged, before she issued dire warnings about some nebulous far right threat that she stretches all logic to pin on the opposition leader.

‘There is no doubt people are tired of the Liberal government,” she concedes. But then, Raj goes on to claim that people being tired of Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, “doesn’t mean Canadians want to vote for a man who courts support from groups that spew hate.’”

National Post

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I would say it's probably a given that they support Trudeau but "obvious" "cheerleading" .. I don't see it.  It's also pretty difficult to provide objective evidence of subjectivity right ?

The MSM is more accountable than actual "shill" media, ie. paid-for advocacy outlets like Rebel Media and Press Progress.

The Star has been strongly Pro Liberal through the years.  But if you can find The Rebel or Press Progress making concessions like "there is no doubt people are tired of the PM" then post that too.

The best place to get news is RePolitics.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

What MSM aside from CBC is federally funded?

It's not that easy to find. https://tnc.news/2021/08/11/liberals-hide-names-of-media-companies-given-61-million-in-subsidies/

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/national-post-latest-edition/20230527/281745568761869

There are some strings attached however. They do want the recipients to adopt DEI.

If there is a choice between layoffs, or taking the handout, I can't blame them for taking the money. But who are they going to shill for? Trudeau who is now paying them, or PP who wants to stop it?

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ironstone said:

It's not that easy to find. https://tnc.news/2021/08/11/liberals-hide-names-of-media-companies-given-61-million-in-subsidies/

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/national-post-latest-edition/20230527/281745568761869

There are some strings attached however. They do want the recipients to adopt DEI.

If there is a choice between layoffs, or taking the handout, I can't blame them for taking the money. But who are they going to shill for? Trudeau who is now paying them, or PP who wants to stop it?

That's for traditional press, not electronic press. Canadian newspapers are by and large conservative, led by the National Post and Globe and Mail. 

So are you asserting that the National Post Kisses Trudeau's ass? CTV was mentioned in the OP.  That was founded by two conservative families working together. The Globe and Mail founded by the Thompsons... NP Conrad black...

"Additionally, the legacy media company FP Newspapers Inc. received $6.2 million in taxpayer funds from the Liberal government"

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

That's for traditional press, not electronic press. Canadian newspapers are by and large conservative, led by the National Post and Globe and Mail. 

So are you asserting that the National Post Kisses Trudeau's ass? CTV was mentioned in the OP.  That was founded by two conservative families working together. The Globe and Mail founded by the Thompsons... NP Conrad black...

"Additionally, the legacy media company FP Newspapers Inc. received $6.2 million in taxpayer funds from the Liberal government"

I'm not saying all the MSM supports Trudeau. I'm of the opinion that on the whole, the MSM is rather left leaning and they should not be receiving money from the government. Let them sink or swim on their own.

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I would say it's probably a given that they support Trudeau but "obvious" "cheerleading" .. I don't see it.  It's also pretty difficult to provide objective evidence of subjectivity right ?

The MSM is more accountable than actual "shill" media, ie. paid-for advocacy outlets like Rebel Media and Press Progress.

The Star has been strongly Pro Liberal through the years.  But if you can find The Rebel or Press Progress making concessions like "there is no doubt people are tired of the PM" then post that too.

Rebel Media is Canadas version of CNN all pro conservative and the Star is well, the Star LOL

Thing is all Canadian media is indebted to a point to the Liberals. They all got cash form them, twice.

Re-Politics is the most abusive conservative forum I have ever read. If you disagree there are a half dozen posters that will insult and swear at you and call you names to shame you. There is n news there, only very conservative based opinion.I go there to have a laugh.  If it were American, I would think they were all trumpists LOL

1 minute ago, ironstone said:

If the MSM and CBC are supporting the government because of money, then it is clear they would be supporting Mr. Poilievre since he is about to be their paymaster. Why would he want to lose that advantage? If the MSM were bought by the Grits, why is Mr. Poilievre about to win the biggest majority since Brian Mulroney and John Diefenbaker?  If he follows through with all the things he has said, he will end up with a squeaker of a minority in 2030. I don't think he is that stupid. When he is appointed in a few months, he will receive a briefing on the issues he faces and will continue the policies of his predecessor. (Minus the NDP policies) However, if he does cancel the support for daycare and dental programs and fires thousands of government employees, he will be building a "dump Poilievre" machine out of the gate. 

When I was in school, I was active in the PC Student Federation. I got to know a lot of guys like Mr. Poilievre. Heck, I was one of them. Everyone of us were destined to be Prime Minister. The difference is, Mr. Poilievre never matured beyond college level politics. It will be interesting to witness his learning curve after he is appointed. 

18 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

1. Thing is all Canadian media is indebted to a point to the Liberals. They all got cash form them, twice.

2. Re-Politics is the most abusive conservative forum I have ever read. 

1. I asked for a cite, I think.  When did CNN, Global, magazines, podcasts, private radio stations... get cash ?
2. You need to try the IGNORE feature.  I only see posts from thoughtful folks like you.

20 minutes ago, ironstone said:

I'm not saying all the MSM supports Trudeau. I'm of the opinion that on the whole, the MSM is rather left leaning and they should not be receiving money from the government. Let them sink or swim on their own.

That will kill all of the small town newspapers that are bearly hanging on. Without them, there will be no local news. Media is way more than politics. Political junkies like us have tunnel vision. We do not see the majority of what the MSM provides. 

We are too partisan. A political party is like a hockey team. Whether the CPC team or the Liberal team wins or loses has the same impact on our lives as whether it is the Flames or the Leafs. Governments have a very narrow range of choices in the conduct of government. Both Mr. Trudeau and Mr. Poilievre have promised to make big changes, but once in office, they find out that any change has a host of consequences, most of them unforeseen. The next government will behave the same as the previous one. 

4 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

No. They are indebted to the government. Soon, it will be the CPC.

I heard Jesse Hirsch - ex CBC - on a podcast talking about the culture and he said it's heavily biased towards "Government" itself.  ie. standards, bureaucracy, top-down decision making, ignoring the people etc.

That, to me, is a synopsis of Canadian business culture to a T.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

In Canada the only mainstream centrist and quite honest mainstream rag is National Post.  

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

The Globe hasn’t been conservative for some time, even if the dated zombie reputation says otherwise.  

18 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

No. They are indebted to the government. Soon, it will be the CPC.

Unlikely.  They were never friendly to the Harper Conservatives, and gushed for Trudeau in the early days.  The CBC is not the same sort of leftwing hackjob that the Toronto Star is, but they still do far too much editorializing and pro-Liberal coverage than they should for a public broadcaster.  

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

In Canada the only mainstream centrist and quite honest mainstream rag is National Post.  

You mean it says more things that you LIKE, and less things that you DON'T LIKE.  🙄

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

1. In Canada the only mainstream centrist and quite honest mainstream rag is National Post.  

2. The Globe hasn’t been conservative for some time, even if the dated zombie reputation says otherwise.  

1. And yet it's government funded.  And owned by Americans, majority ownership.
2. Ah yes, the changing landscape.... if something doesn't cheerlead Trump it's Marxist I hear...

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s so painfully obvious that the CBC, Toronto Star, CTV and most mainstream media are cheerleading for Trudeau.

This is why the CBC should be defunded and there should be no more subsidies or grants to the media by the government.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. And yet it's government funded.  And owned by Americans, majority ownership.
2. Ah yes, the changing landscape.... if something doesn't cheerlead Trump it's Marxist I hear...

1.  Good because Canada is permanently radical left-wing loony.

2.  I wasn’t a Trump fan.  You know this.  Nevertheless Trump is the lesser of evils in the next US election.  

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-election-2019/canada-s-600-million-media-bailout-a-guide-to-federal-tax-breaks-for-the-news-industry-1.4586082

The concern for bias is justified since the Liberals put Unifor on the Journalism and Written Media Independent Panel of Experts.

Unifor has a giant hate-on for the Conservatives.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blackbird said:

This is why the CBC should be defunded and there should be no more subsidies or grants to the media by the government.

Well... but... you accept the premise without evidence, based on your gut feel.  99% of my online life on another forum is convincing liberals and such not to do such a thing.

They know Trump is a bad man, so why offer him any justice.
They know vaccines should be mandatory so why not fire people who don't take them.

You are either for objectivity and political process or against it.  You seem to be against it.

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

1.  Good because Canada is permanently radical left-wing loony.

2.  I wasn’t a Trump fan.  You know this.  Nevertheless Trump is the lesser of evils in the next US election.  

1. Ok - so you SUPPORT government funding then for the MSM.  Got it.
2. Regardless, you thing the Globe is left-wing then you are staring out the Overton window at a landscape of your choosing.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ironstone said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/federal-election-2019/canada-s-600-million-media-bailout-a-guide-to-federal-tax-breaks-for-the-news-industry-1.4586082

The concern for bias is justified since the Liberals put Unifor on the Journalism and Written Media Independent Panel of Experts.

Unifor has a giant hate-on for the Conservatives.

Yes but it's a job program.  ALL governments in Canada are terrified as to how to keep employment up as automation and offshoring takes wide swaths of jobs away.

Pipelines, EV Plants, arms manufacturers... they are all government darlings.

I would really love more posters who don't see every single thing as a left-right war... Our challenges go beyond that in so many ways...

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Unlikely.  They were never friendly to the Harper Conservatives, and gushed for Trudeau in the early days.  The CBC is not the same sort of leftwing hackjob that the Toronto Star is, but they still do far too much editorializing and pro-Liberal coverage than they should for a public broadcaster.  

You mean it says more things that you LIKE, and less things that you DON'T LIKE.  🙄

No, it’s relatively honest. What says everything is that their writer Rupa Subramanya now does a lot with Beri Weiss’s Common Sense.  Weiss is actually an American on the left.  She got the work because she’s honest.  It’s not really about left versus right anymore.  It’s about the phoney woke elite managerial class versus the common working people.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

CTV used to be okay until Bell media took them over. The station has drifted left ever since.

When I look out the Overton window all I see is Michael trespassing on my lawn.