The many problems with Electric vehicles.

8 minutes ago, taxme said:

I am always right. 😇 I asked you as to what all the streets in Canada and America would look like if we all drove around in EV's and all needing a charging station to top up our EV's while sitting on the streets? There would have to be hundreds of millions of charging stations on the millions of streets and those EV's would be sucking up electricity like hell. I would not want to own an EV in California because they have plenty of electricity shortages.  

And when we have EV's and air conditioners and all the other hundreds of thousands of different electricity eaters out there that are needing energy, where or how will we be able to get all the electricity required to keep everything that uses electricity up and running? I do not think that what i said above has anything to do with my imagination. It is just hard questions that needs to be answered. The problem with you is, just go and do it, and to hell with what happens later. 

The trouble is that if EV lovers like you get their way, I will be the other way around and i will be the one looking for a gas station every fifty miles or more. 

I do visit YouTube now and then, and there are many videos showing on YouTube the many problems and dangers and the not so great stories about how EV's are more of a nuisance and a waste of time and money that EV's have become.

Go ahead and check it out yourself on YouTube. Those EV videos are very interesting indeed to watch. 

We have also seen reports of people with EVs having to get the batteries replaced and told it would cost as much or more than the price of the car.  This sounds insane.  They better come up with something better than that.

Glad you're still here and didn't let the nutjob chase you away.  One option is to put him on the ignore list.  

8 minutes ago, blackbird said:

We have also seen reports of people with EVs having to get the batteries replaced and told it would cost as much or more than the price of the car.  This sounds insane.  They better come up with something better than that. 

Only the ignorant don't know that plug in hybrids combine most of the best of both worlds at a cost in the middle.

And the batteries are a lot cheaper to replace because they aren't nearly as big.

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Glad you're still here and didn't let the nutjob chase you away.  One option is to put him on the ignore list.  

Those batteries can cost up to $20,000.00. I can buy a battery for my ICE vehicle for around $150.00. I do not believe that they can come up with something better. No one here can convince me that EV's are the way to go. I would not want to own an EV living in the bush, where if i go for a drive to check something out, and it's 40 F below zero, i could be in big trouble because the cold can drain the battery of it's juice very fast. 

If Hertz-Rent-a Car is trying to get rid of it's fleet of EV's, than that should tell everyone that those EV's are not all cracked up as they are supposed to be. EV's were only meant to be driven in the city, and not meant for the bush. Just saying. 

No one is going to chase me away. I am one real and true conservative that cannot be scared off. I prefer not put anyone on an ignore list. If i did, then i would not have any fun sparring with the likes of Robocop or rebounder. LOL.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Only the ignorant don't know that plug in hybrids combine most of the best of both worlds at a cost in the middle.

And the batteries are a lot cheaper to replace because they aren't nearly as big.

I assume the report that said it would cost as much as the car cost was referring to a used EV.  It couldn't possibly cost nearly as much as a new EV, could it?   Better find out and make sure before buying an EV.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I assume the report that said it would cost as much as the car cost was referring to a used EV.  It couldn't possibly cost nearly as much as a new EV, could it?   Better find out and make sure before buying an EV.  

Generally the batteries in an EV make up 1/4 of the cost of the vehicle. However that is a dated estimate.

Also, people put reconditioned batteries in used EVs. where the bad cells are replaced, rather than complete new ones.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, taxme said:

I am always right. 😇 I asked you as to what all the streets in Canada and America would look like if we all drove around in EV's and all needing a charging station to top up our EV's while sitting on the streets? There would have to be hundreds of millions of charging stations on the millions of streets and those EV's would be sucking up electricity like hell. I would not want to own an EV in California because they have plenty of electricity shortages.  

And when we have EV's and air conditioners and all the other hundreds of thousands of different electricity eaters out there that are needing energy, where or how will we be able to get all the electricity required to keep everything that uses electricity up and running? I do not think that what i said above has anything to do with my imagination. It is just hard questions that needs to be answered. The problem with you is, just go and do it, and to hell with what happens later. 

The trouble is that if EV lovers like you get their way, I will be the other way around and i will be the one looking for a gas station every fifty miles or more. 

I do visit YouTube now and then, and there are many videos showing on YouTube the many problems and dangers and the not so great stories about how EV's are more of a nuisance and a waste of time and money that EV's have become.

Go ahead and check it out yourself on YouTube. Those EV videos are very interesting indeed to watch. 

I tried to help you educate yourself and you didn’t watch the video. What are you so afraid of? It won’t bite you. Just start it and see what you think.  

On 1/25/2024 at 6:11 PM, taxme said:

Well, you clearly still haven’t watched the Engineering Explained video, which answers most of your questions.  

That’s the thing — you didn’t invent these questions. The DoE and many other experts have long ago figured this stuff out.  You aren’t the first person to ever sit down and think, “Huh, if all cars are electric, we will need to produce more electricity.”  So no gold sticker for you.  Watch the man’s video and educate yourself.  It’s not partisan, it’s just a clear engineering analysis of the situation. 

On 1/25/2024 at 3:39 PM, taxme said:

Those batteries can cost up to $20,000.00. I can buy a battery for my ICE vehicle for around $150.00.

Duh! And I can buy 48 batteries for my computer mouse for $20 at Costco

On 1/25/2024 at 3:11 PM, taxme said:

what all the streets in Canada and America would look like if we all drove around in EV's and all needing a charging station

Same as if they were full of dimwits with their gas tanks on E

I would not want to own an EV living in the bush

Duh #2.... gee why not?

On 1/25/2024 at 3:11 PM, taxme said:

I would not want to own an EV in California because they have plenty of electricity shortages.  

and we just can't supply more electricity... it's just too hard.... breins hurt thinking about it..

Hertz-Rent-a Car is trying to get rid of it's fleet of EV's

Because they got too many, a failure of business planning not of EVs

EV's were only meant to be driven in the city, and not meant for the bush

Remind Ford, Stellantis and GM of that. Might not have such a surplus if they built $30K city EVs instead of $150K F150s, Hummers and land yachts.

On 1/25/2024 at 3:59 PM, robosmith said:

Generally the batteries in an EV make up 1/4 of the cost of the vehicle. However that is a dated estimate.

Also, people put reconditioned batteries in used EVs.

Think about it: Supply and demand, all the batteries being made are going into new cars, not your local Lordco. Seen any MotoMaster ones yet? Course not, but yet and never don't mean the same thing. Seen any regulatory rules yet like they did with USB C and Apple?

You can choose not to buy one, or you can choose to f^ck everyone else up out f sheer spite. Just make sure you vote for a dimwit PM with no vision or alternative or a rapist demented fraud for Pres that will END ALL EVs and promise you jobs while they kiss what's left of the N American auto industry to China.

3 hours ago, herbie said:

Think about it: Supply and demand, all the batteries being made are going into new cars, not your local Lordco. Seen any MotoMaster ones yet? Course not, but yet and never don't mean the same thing. Seen any regulatory rules yet like they did with USB C and Apple?

You can choose not to buy one, or you can choose to f^ck everyone else up out f sheer spite. Just make sure you vote for a dimwit PM with no vision or alternative or a rapist demented fraud for Pres that will END ALL EVs and promise you jobs while they kiss what's left of the N American auto industry to China.

Pretty sure I'd be arrested for voting for ANY PM, cause I'm not registered to vote in Canada.

I bought a Hybrid primarily cause electricity in San Diego is among the most expensive in the US.

It's not here, we often sell it to California. It's also a Crown Corp. so if we think they charge too much, don't plan enough or revert to snivelling and whining, we vote out the govt for one that will do the job.
I'm simply reacting to the prevalent 'it's not 100% so it's no good", "not perfect right f*cking now so don't even think about it" attitude so many cantservatives seem to be infected with. No doubt if there were no EVS they'd be whining about ethanol in their gas, go back to lead.

I mean look at the stupid examples as if you'd drive any car with no fuel, or any car from LA to NY at -40 degrees and whine it took a little longer.

Like just guess what the highest selling car model was in 2023.

And we can't even find EVs on a car lot that you can drive home today, let alone "overflowing" with them.

1 hour ago, herbie said:

I'm simply reacting to the prevalent 'it's not 100% so it's no good", "not perfect right f*cking now so don't even think about it" attitude

Name one.  Show one person here who said anything like that. At worst people say it's not ready for everyone yet or it's not good enough for them personally.

Again - you have to lie and make shit up to try to prove a point that doesn't exist.

The only thing you react to is your tribalism and bigotry. The rest is a conjured fiction to support those.

Everyone says if it's good for you buy one. Everyone says it's good for some people.  But anyone with a brain can see it's not remotely close to ready to replace ICE just yet.

Are you ever going to learn so much as a smidgeon of civilized discussion or are yo only capable of ad hominem, distraction, red herrings and incoherent babble?
The entire point is that we are moving to reduce carbon emissions, that's all there is to it, like it or not. So we're moving away from 900 hp gas guzzling Chargers to get back and forth to work and Harleys that turn fuel into noise rather than horsepower. That means EVs, hybrids, fuel cells and hydrogen and over a decade to implement it. And if we don't by 2035, we'll be at least most of the way to. Thinking we can't is totally ignorant, thinking we shouldn't is beyond stupid and going out of your way to discourage others is simply a$$holic.

You're trying to claim someone who doesn't live in a cement cocoon in Lotus Land and has driven years round for decades for a living in gas, diesel and propane vehicles that the inconveniences of EVs are something exclusive to them and there are no such inconveniences with ICE machines for people that live in the real Canada where it gets cold for long times and 'brownouts' are laughable compared to rural outages. How you won't survive without your 6L F150 4x4 to get to the 7-11 and back and have never even used that 4x4 lever except to spin your summer tires the day it snows. We here will use an F350 hybrid, and plug it in same as we always have, one with a Tidy tank in the bed as the gas station might be 200km away and no gas at all to drive to the office for a safety meet, the Post office or the gas station for a beef jerky.

Me, i can manage today thru a foot of snow with a Wrangler that sucks back gas but 95% of my driving is well within the range of most BEVs now and I'm not gonna pretend I'm so butt poor I can't have a 2nd vehicle and use the Jeep just for road trips. I like driving and I like cars and I'm not squealing like a stuck pig because cars are evolving. You think my 1st '57 Chevy wasn't a steaming P.O.S. next to the 2005 Saturn Vue I just gave to my daughter? That my Dad wouldn't have shit himself comparing my Jeep to the one he drove in 1944 and cost double what his first house did?

Things change, and that's never gonna stop whether you like it or not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, herbie said:

Are you ever going to learn so much as a smidgeon of civilized discussion or are yo only capable of ad hominem, distraction, red herrings and incoherent babble?

Considering that all you do is ad hominem, distraction, red herrings and incoherent babble if we DO learn civilized talk it won't be from you.

Typical leftie - blames others for how he himself behaves constantly.

30 minutes ago, herbie said:

The entire point is that we are moving to reduce carbon emissions, that's all there is to it, like it or not.

And we will.  When there's something viable to move to.

For SOME - a handful - EV's are viable and they're making that decision.

EVENTUALLY the tech will be there to actually replace ice.  THat day is not today.

Cope harder.

On 1/25/2024 at 6:39 PM, taxme said:

Those batteries can cost up to $20,000.00. I can buy a battery for my ICE vehicle for around $150.00. I do not believe that they can come up with something better. No one here can convince me that EV's are the way to go. I would not want to own an EV living in the bush, where if i go for a drive to check something out, and it's 40 F below zero, i could be in big trouble because the cold can drain the battery of it's juice very fast. 

If Hertz-Rent-a Car is trying to get rid of it's fleet of EV's, than that should tell everyone that those EV's are not all cracked up as they are supposed to be. EV's were only meant to be driven in the city, and not meant for the bush. Just saying. 

No one is going to chase me away. I am one real and true conservative that cannot be scared off. I prefer not put anyone on an ignore list. If i did, then i would not have any fun sparring with the likes of Robocop or rebounder. LOL.

I think electric is fantastic for off-grid motorhomes, RV's and the like because you have one massive battery that can power everything. It's just a lot simpler to operate and use because you power the vehicle, the AC, lighting, heating, cooking, all out of the one battery. 

You're thinking you're genius-level smart cause you figured out that an electric vehicle can run out of electricity. Do you seriously think nobody every thought of that? Well, here's one for you, dum-dum: Gas-powered vehicles can run out of gas. It happens all the time!  And you can't convert sunlight into gasoline in an emergency. 

Edited by Rebound

23 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Considering that all you do is ad hominem, distraction, red herrings and incoherent babble if we DO learn civilized talk it won't be from you.

Typical leftie - blames others for how he himself behaves constantly.

And we will.  When there's something viable to move to.

For SOME - a handful - EV's are viable and they're making that decision.

EVENTUALLY the tech will be there to actually replace ice.  THat day is not today.

Cope harder.

I see EV’s on the road all the time. People have been driving them for years and years. My buddy bought a Lucid and he drove it coast-to-coast. Over 5,000 miles over the Northern AND Southern US and he never once ran out of electricity or had any difficulty finding a charger and getting charged. Not once. 

1 minute ago, Rebound said:

I see EV’s on the road all the time. People have been driving them for years and years. My buddy bought a Lucid and he drove it coast-to-coast. Over 5,000 miles over the Northern AND Southern US and he never once ran out of electricity or had any difficulty finding a charger and getting charged. Not once. 

Do you ONLY see EV's?  No? My point.

For some they will be a good choice, as i've said 5 trillion times now.  But they are no replacement for ice and wont' be till the tech improves significantly.

It would be quite the task to dredge up the data and show you folks how to access it. so just bear with me..

The top 3 states for EV ownership as a percentage of registered vehicles. Do you see a theme? Also, of households that have one... almost none rely completely on just one EV. Households that have an EV almost always have a standard vehicle as a backup. I find that interesting

1. NM

2. NV

3. WA

Edited by impartialobserver

24 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Do you ONLY see EV's?  No? My point.

For some they will be a good choice, as i've said 5 trillion times now.  But they are no replacement for ice and wont' be till the tech improves significantly.

I bought a Macintosh computer in the 1980’s. 

Holy crap! The people who used DOS computers just couldn’t stand Macs. They had every excuse in the world. “Nobody needs a GUI.” “Nobody needs a mouse.” Then they got a GUI and a mouse, although it sucked BADLY. I used to help people spend hours trying to set up graphics cards and printers on PC’s that were literally plug and play on Macs. It used to crack me up. 

You’re going to make every excuse in the world about why you don’t like EV’s. But the truth is, they work. I don’t have one, personally. I’ve had a plug-in hybrid since 2014 and I have a few ICE vehicles, but I don’t see anything particularly wrong with EV’s.  My biggest objection right now is that I won’t buy a Tesla because Elon Musk is a dickbag, and the only other interesting one is the Lucid. 

On 1/25/2024 at 9:58 PM, Rebound said:

I tried to help you educate yourself and you didn’t watch the video. What are you so afraid of? It won’t bite you. Just start it and see what you think.  

I do not need to watch your video. I have seen enough already about EV's and their problems.