Ban Pro-Palestinian Demonstrations

On 12/27/2023 at 6:50 PM, blackbird said:

There are no Charter Right to block highways, protest on private property (malls) and harass people.

Unless it’s to oppose COVID restrictions, in which case there is am unlimited right to indefinitely blockade border crossings and the streets of the national capital, no matter how much economic damage it causes and how many lives it ruins, is that correct?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Unless it’s to oppose COVID restrictions, in which case there is am unlimited right to indefinitely blockade border crossings and the streets of the national capital, no matter how much economic damage it causes and how many lives it ruins, is that correct?

Never said that.  I said it was illegal to do those things and I never supported it.  I support the opposition to the Manchurian Communist dictator.

2 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

No, you have to stop as soon as a judge says you must.  Such cases are common and always the authorities get a judicial order requiring the protesters to go away.

That never actually happened in ottawa.  Nobody actually ruled it wasn't legal. They were never told by a judge that they were in violation and had to stop.  THe closest they came was the honking, and when the judge orderedt hey stop

Strange that, wouldn't you say?

• Like 1

Just now, TreeBeard said:

Did you support the trucker protests in Ottawa? 

At the time I did not support the protests in 2022, but since that time, I have modified by view and do have some sympathy and agreement with their opposition to the little dictator.  I don't think the vaccine mandates were justified in all circumstances and I don't agree with seizing people's bank accounts simply for making a donation to the Freedom Convoy.  Do you agree with them seizing anybody's bank account?

12 minutes ago, blackbird said:

At the time I did not support the protests in 2022, but since that time, I have modified by view and do have some sympathy and agreement with their opposition to the little dictator.  I don't think the vaccine mandates were justified in all circumstances and I don't agree with seizing people's bank accounts simply for making a donation to the Freedom Convoy.  Do you agree with them seizing anybody's bank account?

I’m not talking about vaccines and the reason for protest.  

Did you support them blocking the city streets?

19 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Did you support the trucker protests in Ottawa? 

I never agreed with the occupation of Ottawa and still don't agree with it.  I don't think they should have brought trucks into Ottawa or honked horns. 

2 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

I’m not talking about vaccines and the reason for protest.  

Did you support them blocking the city streets?

No.   Why are you evading the reasons for the protest?   Do you support Trudeau seizing bank accounts of people who donated a few bucks?

Edited by blackbird
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Do you support them seizing bank accounts of people who donated a few bucks?

I support the legal seizure of any criminal’s bank account. 

I also support the seizure of bank accounts of people who fund illegal operations like the truckers or Hamas. 

4 minutes ago, blackbird said:

I don't think they should have brought trucks into Ottawa or honked horns. 

And I don’t think pro-Palestinian protestors should block traffic. 

Edited by TreeBeard
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

These were not convicted criminals.  There were people who were not charged with anything and committed no crime who had their bank accounts frozen.  The Trucker's Convoy was not an illegal organization.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

How were the people who had donated to the truckers convoy criminals exactly? Which criminal code did they violate? Were they charged or informed?

What you really mean is you support dictatorship and violating human rights as long as it involves someone you don't like.  Typical leftie.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, blackbird said:

These were not convicted criminals.  There were people who were not charged with anything and committed no crime who had their bank accounts frozen.  The Trucker's Convoy was not an illegal organization.  

Of course it was.  The leaders are all on trial and will be convicted.   I have no sympathy for people who fund illegal activities like the occupation of Ottawa, or Hamas.  

6 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Of course it was.  The leaders are all on trial and will be convicted.

The people who had their bank accounts frozen are not on trial and have never been charged

What a lying scumbag you are.  Trying to justify what happened like that,

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Of course it was.  The leaders are all on trial and will be convicted.   I have no sympathy for people who fund illegal activities like the occupation of Ottawa, or Hamas.  

So protesting is bad in your creepy totalitarian vision of society?

The truckers had the right to protest and so do Palestinians.  You don’t get to have different rules for the groups you like.

Either you support free speech or you don’t.  Obviously violence is another matter.

The courts can and do shut down highly disruptive activities, though in Canada they generally let much more go if it’s an Indigenous railway blockade or BLM riot.  Too much radical left ideological capture in Canada.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The truckers had the right to protest and so do Palestinians.  You don’t get to have different rules for the groups you like.

Neither group should be allowed to block traffic.  Clearly, the truckers were on a different scale happening for weeks on end while the pro-Palestinian protestors are not nearly as disruptive.  Rules should be applied equally though.  

I don’t agree with either group!  lol

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Either you support free speech or you don’t.

Every right has limits. 

6 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

So protesting is bad in your creepy totalitarian vision of society?

Nope. Protesting has limits though. 

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

The Truckers Protest was a loose organization of thousands of people who heard there was going to be a protest against the little dictator and they were not convicted of a crime and most did nothing illegal.  A few involved in the occupation were charged and being tried.  But the overwhelming majority were not charged or convicted of anything.

• Like 1

I also support the seizure of bank accounts of people who fund illegal operations like the truckers or Hamas. 

What are you gonna do with Kamala Harris, who pimped a bail fund to get violent rioters back on the streets at a time when innocent civilians were being assaulted, billions of dollars worth of property was being destroyed, gov't buildings were being seized, criminals were claiming sovereignty over parts of US cities, and cops were getting killed? 

If a private citizen gives $50 the the entirely peaceful bouncy castle protest and loses all access to all of their own earned money, what do you do to Kamala, TB? What she did was worse by orders of magnitude...

Edited by WestCanMan

37 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Absolutely.  I don’t want people funding terrorism. If someone is funding Hamas, don’t you want that stopped?

You are being ridiculous.  You equate Hamas with the trucker's protest?   Protesting is not illegal.  It has nothing to do with terrorism.  Give it up.  You are incapable of rational thought.

Edited by blackbird

27 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Neither group should be allowed to block traffic.  Clearly, the truckers were on a different scale happening for weeks on end while the pro-Palestinian protestors are not nearly as disruptive.  Rules should be applied equally though.  

I don’t agree with either group!  lol

Every right has limits. 

Nope. Protesting has limits though. 

Honking and blockades were dealt with through courts and police without the totalitarian Emergencies Act, freezing bank accounts, and other creeptoid violations of our Constitution.

Palestinians can protest.  Violence and clear verbal abuse are not okay.  Hamas are clearly terrible and any organization that uses murder to advance its cause without declaring war, including and especially of civilians, must be recognized as terrorist in nature.

I don’t know the legislation around protests that support terrorist organizations.  I understand that unfortunately terrorist organizations are seen by some as freedom fighters, and the population that the organization claims to represent is somewhat stuck with such groups as their representatives.  However, Hamas was democratically elected, which means that a significant portion of Gazan voters support a terrorist organization.  Though I imagine many Gazans who supported Hamas in the past wouldn’t have supported what happened on October 7.  I’d like to think that anyway.  I’m really not sure.

40 minutes ago, blackbird said:

You are being ridiculous.  You equate Hamas with the trucker's protest?   Protesting is not illegal.  It has nothing to do with terrorism.  Give it up.  You are incapable of rational thought.

Do you want people’s accounts frozen who fund terrorist organizations like Hamas?

Do you want people’s accounts frozen who fund terrorist organizations like Hamas?

No - you charge them with a crime if they are  a listed terror organization. That's how law works.  Freezing people's accounts WITHOUT due process is NOT how teh law works - that's how scumbag authortarian liberals who want to repress legitimate demonstrations work.

Hamas is a listed terrorist organization. It is and should be illegal to donate to and support them. If someone does deal with it within the law.

If they are not breaking a law then you leave them alone and they can support whom they like.

I don't understand why the left hates freedom so much

3 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Absolutely.  I don’t want people funding terrorism. If someone is funding Hamas, don’t you want that stopped?

The truckers were/are not terrorists. Was you eating a pretzel when applying that logic

• Thanks 1