10% of Toronto population now rely on Food Banks

One in 10 people in Toronto are now relying on food banks, twice as many as the year prior, a new report finds.

Food bank usage has smashed another record this year, with more than 2.5 million visits between April 2022 and March 2023 — a 51 per cent increase from the year before — and there are no signs of slowing down, according to this year's Who's Hungry report from Daily Bread and North York Harvest food banks.

Daily Bread and North York Harvest indicate in the report they are anticipating Toronto food bank visits in 2023 will surpass three million visits.

"We are in a crisis as a city," Ryan Noble, executive director of North York Harvest Food Bank, told CBC Toronto. "We're in real danger as a community, when we have one in 10 of our residents needing to turn to food banks."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/one-in-10-torontonians-now-rely-on-a-food-bank-1.7027318

---

Canada's economy is not doing good. The food is too expensive, the Internet/Phone plans are too expensive, rent/housing is too expensive. Salaries are stagnant.

Now, 10% of those living in Toronto rely on food banks to feed themselves.

Has it ever been this bad 8 years ago?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/one-in-10-torontonians-now-rely-on-a-food-bank-1.7027318

---

Canada's economy is not doing good. The food is too expensive, the Internet/Phone plans are too expensive, rent/housing is too expensive. Salaries are stagnant.

I don't think it's been this bad ever, at least not since teh great depression.  Its kind of weird tho because the usual indicators are a little wonky. Normally to look at the economy you would look at things like employment. Well, employment is relatively high, But because inflation is having a larger effect than the numbers would suggest you get people Unable to afford food and unable to afford rent despite the fact that they are working.

It's this weird thing where people aren't going bankrupt in large numbers like you'd expect just yet but everybody is just barely hanging on by a thread. Homelessness is up, food bank use is up in most parts of Canada. People are doing what they can to get by

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

No.  Similar stories elsewhere but Canada seems particularly bad.  God forbid you should be renovicted in this environment.

The number of homeless people sleeping in metro stations in Montreal is continuously increasing. Every week I go to the office downtown, it seems like there is one more person sleeping on the floor of the metro station added to the others who were already there the weeks before. It's even tougher in other cities than in Montreal apparently.

And what you said about renovictions is so true. I'm very glad to be able to afford a rent increase and to be able to be a homeowner starting next year, but not everyone has had my luck.

I started sending more and more cans of non perishable food to the organizations in my neighborhood who help the hungry, I might start voluntary work on the week ends.

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

And what you said about renovictions is so true. I'm very glad to be able to afford a rent increase and to be able to be a homeowner starting next year, but not everyone has had my luck.

Before I finally bought I was renovicted twice, the first time my rent went from $1000 to $3000.  Then I bought before I had to try to rent again...

31 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I started sending more and more cans of non perishable food to the organizations in my neighborhood who help the hungry, I might start voluntary work on the week ends.

Good for you, you're inspiring me to do more.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, herbie said:

Q: How do you tell the number of people using Food Banks from the number of people relying on them?

they're not the same

According to articles written by the CBC and also CityNews, the word relying was used.

29 minutes ago, herbie said:

Q: How do you tell the number of people using Food Banks from the number of people relying on them?

they're not the same

That is one of the most desperate attempts to try to downplay the disasters the libs have created  that i've seen in ages.

People are in trouble due to this gov'ts insensitive practices and policy and all you can bring is 'but but but TECHNICALLY that would COULD mean....."

Just now, CdnFox said:

That is one of the most desperate attempts to try to downplay the disasters the libs have created  that i've seen in ages.

People are in trouble due to this gov'ts insensitive practices and policy and all you can bring is 'but but but TECHNICALLY that would COULD mean....."

It's also that the demographic that relies the most on this food is; 18-44 years old, working class with full time jobs, according to Food Banks.

I don't think they would go there if they had the means to. I mean, I don't go there... Would you if you had the money to pay for food?

You have forms to fill, you have to prove inability to pay for your bills, it's a process out there to get food from those food banks.

1 minute ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I don't think they would go there if they had the means to. I mean, I don't go there... Would you if you had the money to pay for food?

literally word for word the first thing i thought.

OF course nobody goes to the food  bank if they don't have to.

The fact that 10 percent has to is beyond concerning.  And they are all young or at that age where they still have children at home. Which means its' the families or those about to have one who are struggling.

8 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

And they are all young or at that age where they still have children at home. Which means its' the families or those about to have one who are struggling.

We will get to the promised economy of Star Trek but probably as Klingons - as for the wee ones we should keep the old adage about everything they learn in kindergarten but we might want to teach kids they should get used to beating their weaker peers if they ever expect to get ahead.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

We will get to the promised economy of Star Trek but probably as Klingons - as for the wee ones we should keep the old adage about everything they learn in kindergarten but we might want to teach kids they should get used to beating their weaker peers if they ever expect to get ahead.

Rats - i was hoping for ferengi

My mom was a big fan of rules of acquisition that says Exploitation begins at home.

No one hanging outside the Beer Store's offered to sell people boxes of food for $20 cash. No F350 4x4a ever pull up when the Food Bank's open. No one ever heeded the 'ther's no shame' and got their produce and canned goods there to afford a steak at the Soopermarket.

That's the attitude one must adopt. You either have it all or you have nothing. It's humanly impossible top make do or adapt.

OTH try arguing to a store manager that they don't have to by law toss out $10000 worth of cheese cuz the coolers lost power for 8 hours. You know how those unopened pkgs of cheese go poisonous if left out of the fridge overnight.

I agree the number of Food Bank users, hell the very existence of Food Banks is an indication of failure on the part of govt and society. But of course any solutions like liveable wages or UBI must be pooh=poohed and belittled by a lot of those complaining about them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

---

Gas is too expensive. N. Gas is too expensive. Hydro is too expensive. 

Because every business in Canada pays more for all those things, and all of their employees need raises, everything is more expensive. 

I hate to interrupt this crying fest, but if we can judge from the study a Scarborough food bank made of its clientele (it operates five food banks) the problem has little to do with our economy. According to their study 95% of their clients were not born in Canada. What's more 72% have only been in Canada a year. And, of course 65% are foreign students.

So here's a few ideas to deal with this. First, you start insisting on stringent economic abilities for those who want to study in Canada. They have to show they can support themselves. Second, stop letting in so many goddamn refugees. Third cut back on refugees, foreign students, foreign workers AND immigrants.

Presto, housing will suddenly get a lot cheaper!

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/08/03/new-report-from-scarborough-food-bank-paints-unsettling-picture-of-food-insecurity/

9 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

I hate to interrupt this crying fest, but if we can judge from the study a Scarborough food bank made of its clientele (it operates five food banks) the problem has little to do with our economy. According to their study 95% of their clients were not born in Canada. What's more 72% have only been in Canada a year. And, of course 65% are foreign students.

So here's a few ideas to deal with this. First, you start insisting on stringent economic abilities for those who want to study in Canada. They have to show they can support themselves. Second, stop letting in so many goddamn refugees. Third cut back on refugees, foreign students, foreign workers AND immigrants.

Presto, housing will suddenly get a lot cheaper!

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2023/08/03/new-report-from-scarborough-food-bank-paints-unsettling-picture-of-food-insecurity/

Makes me wonder what the default rate is going to be on student loans in a few years. Especially with interest rates rising. The problem is probably even worse than we realize

5 hours ago, I am Groot said:

I hate to interrupt this crying fest, but if we can judge from the study a Scarborough food bank made of its clientele (it operates five food banks) the problem has little to do with our economy. According to their study 95% of their clients were not born in Canada.

====

We ordinary Canadians -like ordinary Swedes- are among the richest people in the world.

Imagine a world federal government with a progressive tax - ordinary people in Sweden and Canada - give 60% of everything we create, to the rest of the world.

Huh?

Individuals in Alberta pay taxes to the Quebec government.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:36 PM, QuebecOverCanada said:

---

CBC?

These various CBC people receive $1.2 billion each year. Our taxes pay these people. Two points:

1. These CBC people always want to control us.

2. They hate people like Poilievre.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1