Rememberance day...

Army Guy

I will be at the National Memorial this year. I have been there before and it seemed more of a show for TV than a Memorial Service. We will see this year.

The Service with the most meaning to me has been at the National Military Cemetery at Beechwood.

They did not grow old as we, that are left, can grow old.

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the ceremony in Ottawa.  The priest who spoke had quite a moving speech.  He quoted a rabbi who I guess was the former Chaplain as saying that these fallen represent the best of Canada.  He referenced the importance of having our right to express our beliefs publicly.  I thought he was very inspiring.  There was a francophone speaker and a woman who went on about differences and inclusion.  I guess she was an equity officer?  Still, quite moving.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

I will be at the National Memorial this year. I have been there before and it seemed more of a show for TV than a Memorial Service. We will see this year.

The Service with the most meaning to me has been at the National Military Cemetery at Beechwood.

They did not grow old as we, that are left, can grow old.

I've spent a few ceremonies at the national Memorial, years ago, it was interrupted by a guy walking up and spitting on the CO...I was surprised at how he remained very calm and collected, much better man than myself i think i would have taken him to the ground...

I never did get to see the national military cemetery. would love to one day...  

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

at the going down of the sun and in the morning

we will remember them

Victoria Patricia

Dileas Gu Brath

80001600_12.jpg

Amen brother, we lost a great man and a great athlete that day, may he be in dinning and drinking with his fallen comrades.  

12 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I've spent a few ceremonies at the national Memorial, years ago, it was interrupted by a guy walking up and spitting on the CO...I was surprised at how he remained very calm and collected, much better man than myself i think i would have taken him to the ground...

I never did get to see the national military cemetery. would love to one day...  

Amen brother, we lost a great man and a great athlete that day, may he be in dinning and drinking with his fallen comrades.  

I find the National Memorial ceremony to be very "correct". Quite a lot of the folks are the because they have to be there and a few onlookers.

The ceremony at the Military Cemetery is a bit more sombre and respectful as you are amongst those that served and passed. Everyone there  has a personal reason for being there.

While I have not experienced combat and not lost any friends in conflict, I do remember those in SAR that lost their lives saving others. "That Others May Live".

• Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, Army Guy said:

I know it is not fashionable nowadays, but if your inclined Please share a pray or thought for those that have sacrificed everything and came home in a flag draped coffins, or where injured and lets not forget those that left at little of ourselves over there...Pray that they have peace where ever they maybe.

we will all be together again

over the river under the shade of the trees

the brothers to the left and right of us

on the road to Calvary

Ducimus

• Like 1

Let’s not forget these were normal young people stuck in a nightmare not of their making. Here’s a song from the Great War to the tune of What a Friend I Have in Jesus:

When this bloody war is over,
No more soldiering for me,
When I get my civvy clothes on,
Oh, how happy I shall be.
No more church parades on Sunday,
No more begging for a pass.
You can tell the sergeant-major,
To stick it up his bleeding …

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:03 PM, Army Guy said:

I hope those that want to, get a chance to attend some form of ceremony...

To me, this 11 November memorial has been a pointless reminder of Versailles. It decided nothing.

The current world was decided in 1945.

====

IMHO, Europe collapsed between 1914 and 1945. There were no two wars. It was another Thirty Years War.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, August1991 said:

To me, this 11 November memorial has been a pointless reminder of Versailles. It decided nothing.

====

IMHO, Europe collapsed between 1914 and 1945. There were no two wars. It was another Thirty Years War.

I think it was intended to remind about the tragedy of WW1 that we should not have such a war ever again. Not that it worked, of course.

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

I think it was intended to remind about the tragedy of WW1 that we should not have such a war ever again. Not that it worked, of course.

In the future, no one will speak of World War I and World War II - people will speak of the "European Wars", as we now speak of the Napoleonic Wars - or the Thirty Years War.

5 minutes ago, August1991 said:

In the future, no one will speak of World War I and World War II - people will speak of the "European Wars", as we now speak of the Napoleonic Wars - or the Thirty Years War.

Way things look these days, I predict in the future people will only whisper about these things in caves.

;)

On 11/13/2023 at 11:57 PM, August1991 said:

====

11 November, Remembrance Day, is not about the politics of a region, it is all about those that lost their lives in service then and now.

• Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 12:57 AM, August1991 said:

====

The global powers picked Nov 11, becasue it was the date that the first war, the war to end all wars ended...that dates  meaning has nothing to do with Versailles or any of the treaties signed on that day...it was chosen so we could have one day a year to remember those that stepped up and served their country....why is that so hard to wrap your mind around...it could have been any day of the year...it does not signify any one conflict, instead it represents all of them. 

NOV 11 was chosen to remember ALL those soldiers globally that have served their nations, in all conflicts, going back  back to the first days our nations soldiers enter the battle field on our behalf.... fields of Abraham, Boar war, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, every peace keeping mission, Afghanistan, Iraq, Syria and any future conflict we may be in...any conflict that Canadians have served in.... 

WWI decided a lot of important things, you just have not researched that period of time hard enough to find out...it may not mean anything to you personally, but I'm damn sure it meant something to those that were there and fought and died on European soil...it was their war, not yours or mine, but theirs...

Our job is to remember them...not to judge them, or their war, but once a year to offer a pray or think of them and maybe offer them your thanks...

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 3:06 PM, Army Guy said:

The global powers picked Nov 11, becasue it was the date that the first war, the war to end all wars ended...that dates  meaning has nothing to do with Versailles or any of the treaties signed on that day...it was chosen so we could have one day a year to remember those that stepped up and served their country....why is that so hard to wrap your mind around...it could have been any day of the year...it does not signify any one conflict, instead it represents all of them. 

NOV 11 was chosen to remember ALL those soldiers globally that have served their nations

===

As a date, 11 Nov 1918 is the worst. It decided nothing.

The Versailles Treaty of 1919 decided nothing - despite that foolish woman's best seller - and in many ways created the next war.

To me, there was a 1914-1945 war. Another 30 years war. 

===

WWI decided a lot of important things, you just have not researched that period of time hard enough to find out...it may not mean anything to you personally, but I'm damn sure it meant something to those that were there and fought and died on European soil...it was their war, not yours or mine, but theirs...

====

WWI decided nothing.

In the future, no one will refer to WWI or WWII.

Nowadays, we refer to the Thirty Years War 

The global powers picked Nov 11, becasue it was the date that the first war, the war to end all wars ended...that dates  meaning has nothing to do with Versailles or any of the treaties signed on that day...it was chosen so we could have one day a year to remember those that stepped up and served their country....

Agreed.

===

I have walked various war cemeteries.

2 hours ago, August1991 said:

As a date, 11 Nov 1918 is the worst. It decided nothing.

The Versailles Treaty of 1919 decided nothing - despite that foolish woman's best seller - and in many ways created the next war.

To me, there was a 1914-1945 war. Another 30 years war. 

Your answer , does not speak to my questions or remarks....