Ontario terror suspect railed against ‘far-left,’ cited ‘grooming’ conspiracies immediately after killing Muslim family

10 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I’m saying the judges aren’t always neutral.  Some prosecutors are blatantly political.  The NY cases are over the top political.  It at least looks like some of these cases won’t see the light of day until after the election.  

Judges are definitely much more partisan in the US. That's because many of them are elected unlike in Canada. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Aristides said:

Either you believe in due process or you don’t. It isn’t optional according to your personal bias.

No I didn’t.  Justice isn’t universal.  If you don’t see that, you’re a fool.  I wish it was otherwise.  Part of the problem is the partisanship for sure.  Another part of the problem is equity:  fairness is not sameness. It’s given judges a green light to apply the law differently to different people based on what judges think people deserve as opposed to the extent to which a law is broken.  Juries do this now too.  I understand looking at histories of good or bad behaviour, hardship, etc., but it seems that some figures are targeted because they’re disliked or given light sentences because of shared political perspectives.  It’s complex and case by case.

Edited by Zeitgeist

14 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

No I didn’t.  Justice isn’t universal.  If you don’t see that, you’re a fool.  I wish it was otherwise.  Part of the problem is the partisanship for sure.  Another part of the problem is equity:  fairness is not sameness. It’s given judges a freen light to apply the law differently to different people based on what judges think people deserve as opposed to the extent to which a law is broken.  Juries do this now too.  

Nothing is perfect but what is your alternative? Judgements can be appealed, no single judge or jury is unaccountable.

19 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It’s the system we have and better than most, but it doesn’t always work for everyone.

It works very well for the likes of Trump who basically have unlimited resources to use the system. Eve more so when his cult is bankrolling his defence.

It isn’t just political, a lot is just outrage over what happened on Jan 6, Trumps attacks on election officials and workers and attempts to prevent the peaceful transfer of power.

Edited by Aristides

This was a Canadian tragedy. Why are some of you bringing in foreign politics? 

I doubt the accused is mentally ill. Like many people who do terrible things, I suspect he wanted to be noticed and live out a violence fantasy. After the war, the surviving Nazi concentration camp guards underwent psychiatric examinations and few showed any mental abnormalities.

The source of the misinformation that led to his action was neither left or right wing. The source is from psychopaths who post this garbage in order to make money. They are the same scammers who promote the false narratives that deny climate change etc.

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

It works very well for the likes of Trump who basically have unlimited resources to use the system. Eve more so when his cult is bankrolling his defence.

It isn’t just political, a lot is just outrage over what happened on Jan 6, Trumps attacks on election officials and workers and attempts to prevent the peaceful transfer of power.

I wonder if Biden and Son’s acceptance of hundreds of thousands of dollars from China, Ukraine, and others have compromised him in any way.  I wonder if his party is protecting him.  They certainly aren’t allowing other candidates to debate him.  January 6 had its excesses, but throwing hundreds of people in jail, sentencing some to decades in jail, and attempting to imprison the former president over it is clearly politically motivated.

53 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I doubt the accused is mentally ill. Like many people who do terrible things, I suspect he wanted to be noticed and live out a violence fantasy. After the war, the surviving Nazi concentration camp guards underwent psychiatric examinations and few showed any mental abnormalities.

The source of the misinformation that led to his action was neither left or right wing. The source is from psychopaths who post this garbage in order to make money. They are the same scammers who promote the false narratives that deny climate change etc.

You make too many assumptions here.  Define “deny climate change”.  Stop pretending that there’s one position on climate change.  People can believe in climate change and have a wide range of opinions about the extent of human impacts and what to do about it.  That’s not crazy or misinformation.  Saying that it is causes outrage.  

57 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

in fairness, it was a very foreign act for a Canadian to do

this is not the sort of act  one would expect from a Canadian

it does seem to be something imported from America

the American culture war spilling over the ramparts

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You make too many assumptions here.  Define “deny climate change”.  Stop pretending that there’s one position on climate change.  People can believe in climate change and have a wide range of opinions about the extent of human impacts and what to do about it.  That’s not crazy or misinformation.  Saying that it is causes outrage.  

The greenhouse effect has nothing to do with politics. It is chemistry and physics. Belief is irrelevant. The process of how greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and water vapour affect the re-radiation of energy is a scientific fact. You can test it in any undergraduate lab and the results are measureable and predictable. The planet is heating up faster than the normal natural processes can adapt.

How we respond to the rapid heating of the planet is politics.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The greenhouse effect has nothing to do with politics. It is chemistry and physics. Belief is irrelevant. The process of how greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and water vapour affect the re-radiation of energy is a scientific fact. You can test it in any undergraduate lab and the results are measureable and predictable. The planet is heating up faster than the normal natural processes can adapt.

How we respond to the rapid heating of the planet is politics.

But the science is inconclusive in terms of human impacts and the potential for mitigation, mainly because of the volume of variables and our limited ability or rather inability to measure them everywhere all the time.

For example, what is the CO2 absorption rate of underwater plants and algae in all oceans/seas?  Is the absorption rate growing or falling?  More CO2 should result in more oxygen producing and CO2 absorbing plants.

Is the rate of volcanic activity increasing or decreasing?  Where?  How does that impact overall GG emissions?  How much of this is absorbed locally by plants?

Where are we in terms of interglacial warming or cooling and sunspot activity?

Are we able to account for all of the impacts of El Niño and the anomalies like the cooling Pacific patch?

Those are just factors that help us separate out natural versus human impacts.

Actually reducing human made greenhouse gases is another can of worms.  What level of sacrifice is required to do this in the short, medium and long term?   It’s highly arguable that impoverishing people in the short term to make reductions will prevent us from developing better, cheaper solutions in the long term, as poverty makes us less educated and technological.

The bottom line is that climate action has to actually make a measurable difference and it must come cheaply or it will stop happening.  Living standards always trump fuzzy probabilities.

29 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The process of how greenhouse gases such as carbon dioxide, methane and water vapour affect the re-radiation of energy is a scientific fact.

It's not a scientific fact that man is the cause of it.  It could be caused by radiation from the sun or from space which varies over time.  You are assuming man is the cause.  It has never been proven.  That is not science.

24 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The bottom line is that climate action has to actually make a measurable difference and it must come cheaply or it will stop happening.  Living standards always trump fuzzy probabilities.

the top down centrally planned authoritarian model has already failed

as all it is inciting is a populist revolt in the exact opposite direction

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

the top down centrally planned authoritarian model has already failed

as all it is inciting is a populist revolt in the exact opposite direction

Yup.  The Canadian federal government has become a bloated, overreaching, inflationary, ineffectual mess. The amount of bureaucrats has increased 40-50% under Trudeau. They’re constantly throwing taxpayer money at causes to which Canadians haven’t consented and are driving up the cost of living through rampant immigration, carbon taxes, added regulation, and inflationary overspending.  What’s more, they impose their creepy radical left activism on employers, schools, and families. They denigrate and attempt to criminalize political opponents. They can’t even get the basics right.  Crime is up.  Lines run out the mall entrance to passport offices, internationally Canada is ridiculed for bringing nothing to the table except “gender language”.   Quite simply, people are worse off and the government doesn’t seem to serve Canadians.  I hope the next government slashes taxes and reduces the scope of federal programs to keep these creepy activists from destroying our families and our living standards.

Edited by Zeitgeist

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yup.  The Canadian federal government has become a bloated, overreaching, inflationary, ineffectual mess. The amount of bureaucrats has increased 40-50% under Trudeau. They’re constantly throwing taxpayer money at causes to which Canadians haven’t consented and are driving up the cost of living through rampant immigration, carbon taxes, added regulation, and inflationary overspending.  What’s more, they impose their creepy radical left activism on employers, schools, and families. They denigrate and attempt to criminalize political opponents. They can’t even get the basics right.  Crime is up.  Lines run out the mall entrance to passport offices, internationally Canada is ridiculed for bringing nothing to the table except “gender language”.   Quite simply, people are worse off and the government doesn’t seem to serve Canadians.  I hope the next government slashes taxes and reduces the scope of federal programs to keep these creepy activists from destroying our families and our living standards.

I would suggest that the origin is that the general population no longer upholds its own system of governance

Canadians have ceased to uphold Constitutional Monarchy & Westminster Parliamentary Supremacy

mechanisms which would constrain government from becoming an out of control leviathan are no longer in use

but Canadians don't actually have an alternate system of governance

so the result is no governance at all, rather just an ideological free for all with no constraints whatsoever

• Like 1

We are straying off topic. My point was that I do not believe the accused is mentally ill. (I am not a psychiatrist) He seems to have been influenced by the people who make a very good living publishing misinformation. Psychopath is a person who lacks empathy for the people they cause harm to. In this case, the family who were murdered. I will emphasize that guilt or innocence of the accused has not been tested in Court and until that happens, he is innocent until the court process is complete and a determination is made.

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I would suggest that the origin is that the general population no longer upholds its own system of governance

Canadians have ceased to uphold Constitutional Monarchy & Westminster Parliamentary Supremacy

mechanisms which would constrain government from becoming an out of control leviathan are no longer in use

but Canadians don't actually have an alternate system of governance

so the result is no governance at all, rather just an ideological free for all with no constraints whatsoever

When a minority government feels like a dictatorship, well, clearly we’ve lost the plot. 

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

clearly we’ve lost the plot. 

well case in point with this terrorist attack against the Muslim family

I don't think this man is insane

this is simply what the breakdown of civil order looks like

as the system of governance degenerates into chaos

violent extremism inevitably starts to encroach at the margins

33 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I hope the next government slashes taxes and reduces the scope of federal programs to keep these creepy activists from destroying our families and our living standards.

I don't expect this will be the case

you only have to look at the Conservatives in Ontario

there has been no curtailing of massive government intervention across the board

the Conservatives simply intervene on behalf of their own overbearing faction of entrenched interests

take for example the "housing crisis"

the Liberal & Conservative solutions are practically the same

it's just a question of which party is going to massively intervene in the free market

after decades of government intervention there is what has caused the problem in the fist place

• Like 1

These occurences are pretty rare in Canada. When an attack against members of a particular faith community occurs, other communities rally around the victims. I recall when a Synagogue was spray painted with anti-semetic symbols, the local Islamic and Christian communities helped clean it up. That was just one of many instances that come to mind. Among the religious organizastions in Canada, there is far more unity than disunity. 

Our problem is a small group of mostly men, who feel ignored and isolated in society and who think hurting innocent people will get them the attention they crave. I mentioned Nazis after the war were found to be mentally normal, but another revelation of the studies was that many had one common trait. Banality. These were people who were non-entities in society and the NSDAP gave them a vehicle to become "important." Your local SA-Fuhrer may have been a junior bank clerk in his day job, but nobody messed with him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Psychopath is a person who lacks empathy for the people they cause harm to.

I think we're past the point of discussing psychopathic people. Institutions become less empathic over time as well when power or profits motivate them.

Big political parties and movements are no different. And like people they eventually dehumanize their competition based on the perception their competition is trying to cause them harm.an unavoidable consequence of where we are. It cannot be avoided now.

5 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I mentioned Nazis after the war were found to be mentally normal, but another revelation of the studies was that many had one common trait. Banality. These were people who were non-entities in society and the NSDAP gave them a vehicle to become "important." Your local SA-Fuhrer may have been a junior bank clerk in his day job, but nobody messed with him. 

but that was ultimately all incited by the collapse of the German monarchy

Imperial Germany had the highest standards of living in Europe and so the world

Imperial Germany instituted the world's first welfare state

Imperial Germany was happy, confident, prosperous & unified

when the war destroyed the monarchy, there was no alternate German system of governance

the Wiemar Republic was chaos

and when the money printing to pay for the war incited hyperinflation

there was a complete breakdown of civil order

German society simply divided into two militarized factions

German history and system of governance was effectively erased, practically overnight

the NSDAP simply filled the void left in the wake

• Like 1