Why Canada Sucks Now

On 5/22/2023 at 6:46 PM, TreeBeard said:

The 1st video is a bunch of incoherent ramblings which boils down to “Canada isn’t exactly how I want it to be, blah blah vax inference blah blah”.  

After that one, I really couldn’t be bothered.  

A lot of these opinions about how Canada sucks can be summed up as follows:  “the party I voted for didn’t get in power. Trudeau sucks.  I can’t call people insulting, racist, homophobic names anymore without consequences” ….

Canada has moved on from you clowns.  Deal with it. 

Trudeau is the biggest racist bigot in power today. And Canadians have a right to be pissed off, he is destroying our country with his stupid post natural state crap. He doesn't gave the mandate to do this stuff. Call a election now!!

44 minutes ago, PIK said:

Trudeau is the biggest racist bigot in power today. And Canadians have a right to be pissed off, he is destroying our country with his stupid post natural state crap. He doesn't gave the mandate to do this stuff. Call an election now!!

What if he called an election and nothing changed, like the last time?   I think we should just wait for the election date to come around and have one then.  

Edited by TreeBeard

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

I wasn’t replying to your post about grocery prices.  I was replying to someone else.  

How do we compare in all those things to the UK?

UK has a carbon tax.  UK has a higher debt and deficit than Canada.  

So, tell us which regulations you think is causing the difference in prices.  I know for a fact that our smaller population spread out in a country much larger than the UK does lead to higher transportation costs.  Do you disagree with that being a factor?

Yes I disagree, as the cost of living with regard to wages, prices, and purchasing power is lower in the US, which has more widespread inhabited landmass than Canada.

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yes I disagree, as the cost of living with regard to wages, prices, and purchasing power is lower in the US, which has more widespread inhabited landmass than Canada.

You’re simply wrong.  

The food that Americans eat is not transported nearly as far as ours.  
USA has a much larger network of railways, which is significantly more efficient than trucks.  
more of Canada’s food is imported than the USA.  
The USA produces food in some regions in the winter.  Canada has to import more in the winter.

One source says the average meal in USA travels 1500mi  https://foodwise.org/learn/how-far-does-your-food-travel-to-get-to-your-plate/#:~:text=It is estimated that the,large quantities of fossil fuels.

For Canada, it’s 3000km (1875mi) https://nutritower.com/blogs/news/how-far-does-our-food-travel#:~:text=In most cases%2C our produce,produce can be grown locally.

Edited by TreeBeard

3 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You’re simply wrong.  

USA has a much larger network of railways, which is significantly more efficient than trucks.  
The USA produces food in some regions in the winter.  Canada has to import more in the winter.

One source says the average meal in USA travels 1500mi  https://foodwise.org/learn/how-far-does-your-food-travel-to-get-to-your-plate/#:~:text=It is estimated that the,large quantities of fossil fuels.

For Canada, it’s 3000km (1875mi)  https://foodwise.org/learn/how-far-does-your-food-travel-to-get-to-your-plate/#:~:text=It is estimated that the,large quantities of fossil fuels.

Excuses from the Marxist-Nihilist.  So weak.  

11 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You- food doesn’t travel further in Canada than USA.
Me - cites fact that food travels further in Canada than USA.
You - Marxist!

Me - :huh:

You’re referring to the small population of people in the far north who pay high prices because of the exceptionally large distances and lack of road/train access. What does that have to do with 90% of the population’s goods that flow within 100 miles of the border?   

Edited by Zeitgeist

27 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You’re referring to the small population of people in the far north who pay high prices because of the exceptionally large distances and lack of road/train access. What does that have to do with 90% of the population’s goods that flow within 100 miles of the border?   

No…. On average, Canadian food travels further.  

55 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

You’re simply wrong.  

For Canada, it’s 3000km (1875mi)  https://foodwise.org/learn/how-far-does-your-food-travel-to-get-to-your-plate/#:~:text=It is estimated that the,large quantities of fossil fuels.

The word 'canada' does not appear in the sources you cite as 'proof' of the canadian number.

And in fact - the source severely questions your 1500 mile number, specifically noting that the trend in local farmers markets is changing that.  And  in fact it doesn't even give the source or timeline for the 1500 mile figure.

Nor does it say WHAT food.  For example if they say a jar of bean paste travels 3000 miles and a fresh chicken travels 2 so we'll average it at 1500 that ignores the fact that a) bean paste has stayed stable while chicken has shot up in price and b) i eat a lot more chicken than bean paste.

The numbers you provided are completely and utterly useless.  And - even if they were accurate at roughly 2 percent difference in travel should not explain a 100 percent difference in price.

Very dishonest of you

12 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

No…. On average, Canadian food travels further.  

YOu cannot make that statement with the information you provided.

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

You’re factoring in the extremes.  Most of the population of Canada is within a three hour drive of the US border.  

The extremes won’t bring the average up much because a lot less food travels to the extremes due to the lack of population.  But, USA includes extreme North too.  And their extreme North would skew the numbers more than ours as they need to ship food to Alaska for 700,000+ people, while we ship food to 120,000 people in all 3 territories.  

If 10lbs of food has to go to the extremes and 1,000lbs stays near the border, the 10lbs won’t affect the average much   

But, you are arguing against the study when you don’t know the methodology of the study.  The numbers don’t conform to your preconceived notions, so you just say it isn’t correct.  And  call people “Marxist” if they would dare present facts to this forum!

Edited by TreeBeard

18 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

The extremes won’t bring the average up much because a lot less food travels to the extremes due to the lack of population.  But, USA includes extreme North too.  And their extreme North would skew the numbers more than ours as they need to ship food to Alaska for 700,000+ people, while we ship food to 120,000 people in all 3 territories.  

If 10lbs of food has to go to the extremes and 1,000lbs stays near the border, the 10lbs won’t affect the average much   

But, you are arguing against the study when you don’t know the methodology of the study.  The numbers don’t conform to your preconceived notions, so you just say it isn’t correct.  And  call people “Marxist” if they would dare present facts to this forum!

Excuses for higher cost of living.  Let me guess, it’s because we have better policies, so it’s worth paying more.  Lol

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Excuses for higher cost of living.  Let me guess, it’s because we have better policies, so it’s worth paying more.  Lol

No.  Our food travels greater distances to less people, hence, that at least partly (or maybe wholly) explains why our food costs more.  Your argument seems to be that our food costs more cuz Canada sucks.  I asked if our food has always cost more than the UK, and you couldn’t be bothered to answer.  I asked what other factors would make our food cost more, and you didn’t answer.  Your reasons are ideological, rather than fact based.  

17 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

No.  Our food travels greater distances to less people, hence, that at least partly (or maybe wholly) explains why our food costs more.  Your argument seems to be that our food costs more cuz Canada sucks.  I asked if our food has always cost more than the UK, and you couldn’t be bothered to answer.  I asked what other factors would make our food cost more, and you didn’t answer.  Your reasons are ideological, rather than fact based.  

Lower dollar.

Gas is highly taxed, causing it to cost about 60% more than in the US.  

Those are big reasons.  Why is our dollar lower?  Low productivity, over-regulation, lower value add in manufacturing, expensive programs, French language stuff, etc.

More can be said and much is arguable.

Distance and smaller economies of scale are also factors.  

40 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

No, you just make that claim with no evidence to back it up.

Typical leftie - demands their facts be accepted without proof but if anyone says anything they don't like they demand sources.

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Excuses from the Marxist-Nihilist.  So weak.  

things have simply reached the tipping point

Canadian Nationalism is fundamentally left wing & Marxist

Anti-British, Anti-American, Pro-China, Pro-Cuba

the majority of Canadians have now been raised by the state to be communists in essence

so they literally want to live in a dreary authoritarian pseudo communist police state

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Lower dollar.

Gas is highly taxed, causing it to cost about 60% more than in the US.  

Those are big reasons.  Why is our dollar lower?  Low productivity, over-regulation, lower value add in manufacturing, expensive programs, French language stuff, etc.

More can be said and much is arguable.

Distance and smaller economies of scale are also factors.  

You don’t even remember the country!  LOL

You were comparing the UK.   You only mentioned the USA when you tried to make a point about landmass and a spread out population.  

1 hour ago, TreeBeard said:

You don’t even remember the country!  LOL

You were comparing the UK.   You only mentioned the USA when you tried to make a point about landmass and a spread out population.  

I lived in the UK.  It’s more expensive there because their system is even more tax and spend.  Fuel is heavily taxed.  I don’t want to live in Britain.  

On 5/22/2023 at 10:15 AM, Dougie93 said:

pretty much nails it, to a tee

Thanks for posting those videos Dougie !

I like that guy in the first video, although I am not a big fan of tattoos. (This might be his way of expressing his "I don't care"  though)

The way I see it, the standard of life has come down dramatically since the time I first came to this continent 20 years ago.   When I made $43K in 2003 that had a way higher buying power than the 80K or 100K I might make now - taxes were lower, based on the figure of 43, now taxes are higher based on the number of whatever, but food is probably 4 or 5 times higher than what I paid back then  (I remember apples at 65 cents/ lb ; now it is $2.99/lb for the same apples.  Gas was also about 66 cents/liter.  Now it is $1.80/liter .    Accommodation - what you could buy for $60K to $80K then is now $300K and more.

Of course the government did not adjust the personal tax exempt amounts accordingly, as this was going to further reduce their tax revenues in addition to the money being devalued already.  Final result:  middle class being pushed further down into poverty or forced to borrow more and take the real risk of bankruptcy.

Then you have the constant environment degradation with the government overriding its own protection rules and when it becomes completely ridiculous they change the rules to allow for unabated development.

And you can call nobody as their phones are no longer tended by people.  If you find a way to speak with someone , they will give you some jack-ass  reply, whatever they were instructed to provide to the general public.

Yeah, the country is turning into a boring prison with retarded security guards.

Maybe it has always been this type of a country?

Edited by cougar

7 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I lived in the UK.  It’s more expensive there because their system is even more tax and spend.  Fuel is heavily taxed.  I don’t want to live in Britain.  

Their population is ridiculously high for the land they have.  Soon the island may sink into the Atlantic under its weight.

And they do not have much natural resources to sustain this population, except for shale oil and gas , as far as I know, and this is a resource under question now.

9 hours ago, cougar said:

Yeah, the country is turning into a boring prison with retarded security guards.

overbearing totalitarian nanny state writing laws to dictate every aspect of life to the absurd

Canada is the fun police

not even a free country anymore therein

Edited by Dougie93

9 hours ago, cougar said:

The way I see it, the standard of life has come down dramatically since the time I first came to this continent 20 years ago.  

I can't say that my quality of life has degraded

I've spent my entire adult life preparing for this degradation of Canada

I saw it coming, I predicted this trajectory

I planned everything for this moment, and I did very well for myself therein

none the less, the civil society that I was raised in is still breaking down all around me

so at best I have achieved a Pyrrhic victory in the end

I have it all, yet my once beloved country has been taken from me

I am a stranger in my own land, so there is no triumph

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cougar said:

Thanks for posting those videos Dougie !

I just happened upon them by accident

but when you click on one, there dozens more just like that, then hundreds more

they are all saying the same things, tho they are completely isolated from each other

I've never seen anything like it

so many Canadians saying that Canada sucks now, all invoking the same reasons

the eerie ones are where the Canadian says that they will get "cancelled" for saying so

they are afraid of the totalitarianism which stalks the land

that says it all

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

It’s not double the price, but groceries are substantially more expensive in Canada than the UK. 

Has this changed over the years?  Did we used to be cheaper?   Can the difference be explained by things like transportation costs being more in Canada?  We have a much more spread out population than in the UK, and less people.  If we jammed our entire population into a space the size of Saskatchewan, I bet we’d find some efficiencies.  

But, it doesn’t tell the story you want to spread when we put it into some context, does it?

I spoke to a man who was just there a few days ago. Are you in the UK? 

Otherwise your comments are not worth much.

The fact is that most countries are facing the same challenges as we, but some have taken steps to stop the steep rise in prices through certain economic controls. They may increase their national debt in doing so, but that is just a numbers game.

Hunt pushes for supermarkets to curb soaring prices
May 22 2023

With UK food price inflation at 46-year high, lawmakers launch probe
May 12, 2023

Europe’s politicians impose price caps to address soaring food costs
May 21 2023

Canada's government does nothing. Mr. Trudeau likes this situation we're in, because for one he likes high gas prices. Also higher food costs and higher prices on all products means higher taxes. A windfall for the Trudeau government.

And I can show you links where they have been accused of this, but all we get from them is shrugs.

• Like 1