Again the soft-on-crime justice system results in multiple stabbing attacks in a Vancouver Park

However, Global News has learned Ham has a history of being arrested and charged with assault.

He was charged in February 2021 with assault and resisting a police officer in connection with an incident in Vancouver. He was released on court-ordered conditions.

Following his release from that charge, he was then arrested and charged again in March 2022 with allegedly assaulting a security guard at the food court in Vancouver’s Harbour Centre.

He was released again, and three warrants have been issued for his arrest since last month alone — the most recent of them issued just Monday.

Global News

This time it cost a police officer her life.

Wonder if the judges who released this guy are feeling any remorse these days.

54 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Something in the water out there in BC I guess. Definitely screwed up bleeding heart justice system

https://www.tricitynews.com/highlights/surrey-man-who-killed-girlfriend-burned-body-gets-seven-years-5973449

You’ve compared it to other parts of the country?  Or is this just an assumption based on some headlines?

1 hour ago, I am Groot said:

Something in the water out there in BC I guess. Definitely screwed up bleeding heart justice system

https://www.tricitynews.com/highlights/surrey-man-who-killed-girlfriend-burned-body-gets-seven-years-5973449

BC has a bleeding heart NDP government.  Combine that with the federal liberal's soft-on-crime laws and courts explains the mess in B.C.  This is a big issue for the new incoming Premier in B.C. who has recently made a disastrous decision while he was attorney general.  He heard the complaints from mayors of B.C. cities about the widespread numbers of repeat offenders being arrested and immediately released and decided to send the matter to a committee for investigation months ago, further shirking his responsibility to take real action.  I don't hold out much hope that he will take real action when he becomes Premier shortly.  Vancouver threw out it's mayor recently because of the daily crime and assaults and elected a tougher-on-crime mayor, Ken Sim.  He will hire 100 more police plus a large number of mental health workers.  But it takes the provincial government to make meaningful changes such as keeping offenders behind bars or placed in mental institutions if there are any.  Cities cannot do that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, blackbird said:

BC has a bleeding heart NDP government.  Combine that with the federal liberal's soft-on-crime laws and courts explains the mess in B.C.  This is a big issue for the new incoming Premier in B.C. who has recently made a disastrous decision while he was attorney general.  He heard the complaints from mayors of B.C. cities about the widespread numbers of repeat offenders being arrested and immediately released and decided to send the matter to a committee for investigation months ago, further shirking his responsibility to take real action.  I don't hold out much hope that he will take real action when he becomes Premier shortly.  Vancouver threw out it's mayor recently because of the daily crime and assaults and elected a tougher-on-crime mayor, Ken Sim.  He will hire 100 more police plus a large number of mental health workers.  But it takes the provincial government to make meaningful changes such as keeping offenders behind bars or placed in mental institutions if there are any.  Cities cannot do that.

The criminal code is federal, it's time they got their ass in gear on this issue.

13 minutes ago, Aristides said:

The criminal code is federal, it's time they got their ass in gear on this issue.

But the people who enforce it are provincial. Provincial crowns appointed by the provincial justice minister working for the provincial ministry of justice. Most criminal cases, 95%, are heard by provincial court judges appointed by the province. 

Edited by I am Groot

8 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

But the people who enforce it are provincial. Provincial crowns appointed by the provincial justice minister working for the provincial ministry of justice. Most criminal cases, 95%, are heard by provincial court judges appointed by the province. 

True but Bill C-75 which states incarceration is to be avoided is federal legislation.

At some point Canada became the most extreme example of all the dystopian experiments we used to mock in parts of Europe: the most permissive euthanasia, the most permissive hard drug tolerance, the most permissive abortion laws, the most permissive gender surgery laws, the making illegal and “against human rights” of anyone who questions these radical and reckless policies.  Our compelled speech laws and banning of unpleasant protests are especially Orwellian.  Canada is becoming a dystopia.   

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

The BC NDP is 100% responsible for Canadian Law and the Supreme Court of Canada's ruling. Also for the weather and if the hard drive in your Chinese computer dies.

Just like Trudeau is for if your pancakes rise; so say the ill informed and Kevin Falcon.

Of course no one wants violent repeat offenders released like this, but they're already doing premiers-feds talks. Should get fixed sometime this century.

In the meantime, they need to stop yakking and re-OPEN the Institutions for these wackos. Get them off the damn streets! Quit pretending they're all just hard on luck and deal with the mental patients first.

• Like 1

Canada’s decline on full display in Vancouver, where hard drugs are free.  I’m sure once the addictions multiply the Mexican drug cartels will be back on top and the killings will grow.  The borders will be open of course, brought to you by the same left wing radicals who permitted all hard drugs in Vancouver.

7 hours ago, herbie said:

Haven't heard an Archie Bunker ignorant opinion like that since Dad passed 15 years ago.

But when he said bullshit like that it was to goad someone into their view on the subject.

Vice News is mostly on the left in its news coverage, but you’re so lost and ill-informed that you don’t understand why these crimes are happening.  How could it have anything to do with perhaps the most lax drug policy in the developed world, right?   Your mentality is exactly why BC cities are now unable to reel in violence and self-harm.

You also won’t make the connection to the most permissive medically assisted suicide laws in the world, which is I’m sure what some of these lost people will be seeking.  The rest of the world doesn’t have these reckless policies for good reasons, but of course the BC and Canadian political leaders know better.  There’s no connection between these “progressive” drug policies and the opioid, fentanyl, and methamphetamine epidemic that has taken so many lives.  How could there be, right?  We went from Just say no policies, which I opposed at the time, to anything goes.  You reap what you sow.

Edited by Zeitgeist

11 hours ago, I am Groot said:

BC cops are RCMP.... they have to apply federal laws too.

11 hours ago, Aristides said:

True but Bill C-75 which states incarceration is to be avoided is federal legislation.

Are there a lot of cases where crowns asked for remand, or high bail, particularly for violent offenders, and judges are denying it due to this bill? I have not heard it mentioned as any part of the issue involved.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

It's fascinating, watching Libbies try to defend this garbage. It's always someone else's fault.

Canadian society is being flushed...and BC is the sewer.

Well the Herbies of the world have been allowed into the control room and the adults have left.  I hope Canadians start asking themselves, after several years of the lunatics running the asylum, whether they think Canada is a better place now.  I’ve never seen such a rapid decline. I thought the early 90’s debt crisis and recession were bad. I thought the late 70’s were bad.  What he have now is not just economic decline, but the deterioration of our social moral fabric, culture, and democratic rights on an unprecedented scale.  Canada is becoming China with a woke-green activist face.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Well the Herbies of the world have been allowed into the control room and the adults have left.  I hope Canadians start asking themselves, after several years of the lunatics running the asylum, whether they think Canada is a better place now.  I’ve never seen such a rapid decline. I thought the early 90’s debt crisis and recession were bad. I thought the late 70’s were bad.  What he have now is not just economic decline, but the deterioration of our social moral fabric, culture, and democratic rights on an unprecedented scale.  Canada is becoming China with a woke-green activist face.  

Like this you mean?

Edited by Nationalist
  • Haha 1

Oh FFS you quasi-fascists have no idea how gov't works, no idea how law works but wanna rant and blame everything on anyone else. Must miss your heydays of the Harper era where they passed a new Crime Bill every 24 hours only to see them struck down one by one. Sorry, the Charter of Rights applies to people you don't like as well as just you.

There's never gonna be some strongman that decries 'do it my way, to hell with anything else' and people all jump to follow.

Your blockhead 'lock them up' attitude makes me wonder who's more insane, these creeps or you who want to do the same thing over and over for another 100 years, expecting different results.

The ones that attack a random stranger are obviously loonie, they should be committed to a psych assessment until their trial. Then they can't just not show up, and the Judge has some useable details on what they're dealing with.

36 minutes ago, herbie said:

The ones that attack a random stranger are obviously loonie, they should be committed to a psych assessment until their trial. Then they can't just not show up, and the Judge has some useable details on what they're dealing with.

The problem for too many people is that mental health issues might lead to treatment instead of punishment. /sarc off

I think the problem and solution is largely economic.  I'm encouraged that David Eby is talking about building housing for homeless people but a place to live is only one part of the solution.  There will always be people that will need support their entire life which means free stuff on top of free housing. Unfortunately there will also always be those for whom giving people free stuff is the ultimate collective public sin.

That's the hard place that's opposite to the rock society is trapped between.  Some would argue the hard place is the stupider one. /sarc on again

Edited by eyeball

What? Someone who doesn't think PUNISH PUNISH PUNISH more jails, privatized ones that give kickbacks to Judges who fill them is a solution - on THIS website?

My kid was a junkie. Abcesses from dirty needles. Hepatitis from shared needles. Street person, thief. Revolving door, busted, put on the street, didn't show for court, no one looks, find him at random, let him out again. Social workers trying to pawn him off, no money, no help, no one interviews him says 'you're good at this, try a job in that', no work leads. Hit bottom, goes to jail, let out - tolerance is down, ODs, walks out of rehab, hospital. Rinse and repeat.
Strokes out from fentanyl OD - walks out. Rinse and repeat until he ODs inside the hospital (someone must've brought the drugs in) and dies at 40.

If they'd locked him up forever he'd be alive and these same butt holes would be bitching about how much of their tax dollars it cost to feed him. So excuse my intolerance for ignorant pig-head attitudes, especially their objections to the barely lip service starter steps being made to actually do something about it.

And of course it's a big problem in BC, cuz if you couldn't afford heat let alone rent you'd be bat-shit nuts to winter in Winnipeg.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

The problem for too many people is that mental health issues might lead to treatment instead of punishment. /sarc off

Oh is that all? They just need mental health support? Well that's not a problem! We've got so many doctors sitting around doing nothing, after all! 

My best friend's daughter wanted to commit suicide at seventeen. Lilly white, middle-class, straight-A student from suburbia. They put her in hospital for a few weeks, gave her some drugs, then told her to get lost. A psychiatrist? Nope, none available. Especially those who deal with youths because they're overwhelmed. Maybe in a couple of years? Until then they decided her school would see to her. Her school didn't. Nobody got the forms. Now because she had capable parents they were able to yell at the school and at the hospital enough to figure out what happened, and get her off the drugs she was only supposed to take for a couple of months - after almost a year, and pay for private therapy.

But the system is a hot mess. Okay. Even for pretty, middle-class white girls who are straight-A students. Now what do you think the system is going to do for some street addict on the lower east side? There are no doctors. There are no psychiatrists, psychologists or therapists. End of story. Every province in this country dropped the ball on training new doctors and is only now sluggishly starting to approve a few more seats in medical schools, a few more residency positions in hospitals. 

Mental health support? Why don't you just suggest they all be given a castle in Spain while you're at it?

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

I think the problem and solution is largely economic.  I'm encouraged that David Eby is talking about building housing for homeless people but a place to live is only one part of the solution.

Yeah, because that's never been done before. Building housing for homeless people!? What an idea!

Edited by I am Groot

So what;s your point? That we don't have enough doctors so we shouldn't offer more mental health support or that we don't have enough mental health support so we need more doctors?

We all know we need more doctors. Only those personally affected know we need more mental health services.

My buddy's ex went bipolar. They put her in for a bit, send her home. She decides the meds are evil and goes back to steaming her vag, drinking herbal teas and unpasteurized honey... back in again. For the last 15 years...

41 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Oh is that all? They just need mental health support? Well that's not a problem! We've got so many doctors sitting around doing nothing, after all! 

My best friend's daughter wanted to commit suicide at seventeen. Lilly white, middle-class, straight-A student from suburbia. They put her in hospital for a few weeks, gave her some drugs, then told her to get lost. A psychiatrist? Nope, none available. Especially those who deal with youths because they're overwhelmed. Maybe in a couple of years? Until then they decided her school would see to her. Her school didn't. Nobody got the forms. Now because she had capable parents they were able to yell at the school and at the hospital enough to figure out what happened, and get her off the drugs she was only supposed to take for a couple of months - after almost a year, and pay for private therapy.

21 years ago my kid won every scholarship his school gave out.  2 months later I had to bail him out of a psych ward that it took 6 cops to get him into.  He's lucky he wasn't killed outright given he went nuts in the US.  We had a crash course in how badly the system sucks not to mention how shitty so many people's attitudes are towards the mentally ill.

The only solution then as it probably is now is to be an advocate and get in the system's face. Nowadays my kid produces educational software for autistic kids for his living and volunteers to help people in Vancouver's DTES.

But the system is a hot mess. Okay. Even for pretty, middle-class white girls who are straight-A students. Now what do you think the system is going to do for some street addict on the lower east side? There are no doctors. There are no psychiatrists, psychologists or therapists. End of story. Every province in this country dropped the ball on training new doctors and is only now sluggishly starting to approve a few more seats in medical schools, a few more residency positions in hospitals. 

Mental health support? Why don't you just suggest they all be given a castle in Spain while you're at it?

BC has been softer on mental health than crime forever. Why? Because people like you who jump 10 feet in the air at the thought that someone might be getting free stuff.

Yeah, because that's never been done before. Building housing for homeless people!? What an idea!

I'm not just suggesting a piece of crap housing project like you're probably imagining. I mean something nice with lots of free stuff including good drugs.  You need to get in the system's face for that but first you'll probably need to adjust your own attitudes.

Good luck.