Darwin Strikes Again....

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

If you ever see a field of windmills and only 20% are turning, it’s because the operators are generating only what they need to consume.  As you probably don’t know, all power placed on the grid must be consumed by something. T

Which is why this hysteria about capacity due to EVs is pathetic. EVs are using electricity that's being generated of peak to create a baseload. 

The grid cannot store power. 

That's the next innovation required. Plenty of solutions are in development. 

7 minutes ago, Rebound said:

Easily.  
California has one or two blackout events a year during peak heat season. There’s no question that an additional 20 or 30% capacity would eliminate that problem.  And wind power is extremely granular. Individual windmills can be shut down on command, so production can be very finely tuned to consumption, which creates huge challenges with other forms of production. 

If you ever see a field of windmills and only 20% are turning, it’s because the operators are generating only what they need to consume.  As you probably don’t know, all power placed on the grid must be consumed by something. The grid cannot store power. 

And when the wind isn't blowing? Then what? Millions of windmills generating squat.

https://fortune.com/2020/02/05/wind-turbine-fiberglass-landfill-disposal-renewable-energy/

And then there's the solar panel farms...

https://electrek.co/2021/07/26/us-largest-solar-farm-is-scrapped-because-nevada-locals-dont-want-to-look-at-it/

https://hbr.org/2021/06/the-dark-side-of-solar-power

41 minutes ago, Boges said:

Canada's Natural Resources don't amount to only Fossil Fuels. Growth will be found elsewhere. 

Oh I forgot Mining for Lithium is the Devil. Unless it creates batteries for your phone. 

https://www.capp.ca/economy/canadian-economic-contribution/

Mine Lithium...hell mine everything that we have of value.

17 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Your articles have nothing to do with unavailability of wind. They have to do with blade recycling and a solar program that didn’t get a permit. You think a coal, nuclear or gas plant would have an easier time getting a permit? 

California is a massive state. There’s always wind blowing somewhere. America was discovered by wind powered ships. The Pilgrims came to America on wind powered ships. The America’s Cup is raced with wind powered boats. 

Edited by Rebound

1 minute ago, Rebound said:

California is a massive state. There’s always wind blowing somewhere. America was discovered by wind powered ships. The Pilgrims came to America on wind powered ships. The America’s Cup is raced with wind powered boats. 

Hilarious.

'The colonists came on wind powered ships so...we should use wind to power the entire nation.'

Can you be any more childish? Go ahead...try. I always enjoy a good giggle...

19 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Hilarious.

'The colonists came on wind powered ships so...we should use wind to power the entire nation.'

Can you be any more childish? Go ahead...try. I always enjoy a good giggle...

Wind makes up 6% of California’s power, and that number will grow and grow. And I see one farm after another building windmills. And Holland reclaimed 40% of their land using windmills. They work. They’re beautiful. And they don’t cause cancer. 

10 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Oh that's just so much BS.

"OH look! A storm! GLOBAL WARMING! AHHH...WE ALL GONNA DIIIEEE"

Get a grip on yourselves. This BS is trashing economies and nothing we have at our disposal today can come close to satisfying our energy needs right now.

Too bad your "argument" is SO WEAK you had to build a HUGE STRAWMAN.

Your country's TAR SANDS are going remain stranded in the ground where they belong because the world is going electric.

Edited by robosmith

2 hours ago, Boges said:

Which is why this hysteria about capacity due to EVs is pathetic. EVs are using electricity that's being generated of peak to create a baseload. 

That's the next innovation required. Plenty of solutions are in development. 

I’m surprised that I have to repeat this again.

The California Utilities were the ones warning the people not to charge their EV vehicles.  Because they were running out of capacity.  I think they would have a better grasp on the situation than you.

Here’s the link again.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/losangeles/news/flex-alert-extended-to-saturday-ev-owners-asked-to-not-charge-vehicles-during-peak-hours/

Here’s a quote from the link:

“Drivers might have to walk if they don't charge their vehicles strategically on the third day of an extended Flex Alert.“

Edited by sharkman

6 minutes ago, sharkman said:

The California Utilities were the ones warning the people not to charge their EV vehicles.  Because they were running out of capacity.  I think they would have a better grasp on the situation than you.

Here’s the link again.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/losangeles/news/flex-alert-extended-to-saturday-ev-owners-asked-to-not-charge-vehicles-during-peak-hours/

“Drivers might have to walk if they don't charge their vehicles strategically on the third day of an extended Flex Alert.“

And I have to keep reminding you that this was because of AC use. Because of how hot it was. . . you know cuz of Climate change.  

Most EV users don't charge their cars in the middle of the day. They simply asked if people can refrain from charging their cars during peak periods. Most don't anyway. It's no biggie. 

I'm also not propping up California as a model state for how to handle their grid. 

Edited by Boges

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

Wind makes up 6% of California’s power, and that number will grow and grow. And I see one farm after another building windmills. And Holland reclaimed 40% of their land using windmills. They work. They’re beautiful. And they don’t cause cancer. 

A whopping 6%? Well now...that changes everything...NOT.

37 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Too bad your "argument" is SO WEAK you had to build a HUGE STRAWMAN.

Your country's TAR SANDS are going the stranded in the ground where they belong because the world is going electric.

Did you shake your fist and go "So there!" after typing this drivel?

1 hour ago, sharkman said:

Here’s the link again.

You’re full of nonsense.  
They were ASKED not to charge their cars between 4 and 9pm… and most people don’t anyway… it’s better to charge at night. In fact, it’s best to charge right before you drive, so use a timer to top up starting at 2 or 3am for longest car life. 

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Says the guy who figures sailing across the ocean means wind can power the USA...giggle.

Wind can power the United States. It provides 9% of total electricity nationwide and there’s no reason why that 9% can’t become 20, 30, or 50 percent. Even a complete nimwit can understand that we won’t simply decommission every other electric plant at once, and we don’t need to reach zero carbon emissions, either. We just simply grow and grow the wind utilization and decommission the dirtiest plants (i.e., coal) as we bring more online.