Politicians Squandering Tax Payers Money

So the leftist Attorney General apparently rang up a 100k catering bill aboard an airplane to the UAE. This while we just announced here in Saskatchewan that they'll be cutting school lunch programs for underprivileged children. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/gov-gen-guests-rack-up-100k-in-flight-catering-bill-during-dubai-trip

Why do we even pay for this nonsense anyway?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, West said:

So the leftist Attorney General apparently rang up a 100k catering bill aboard an airplane to the UAE. This while we just announced here in Saskatchewan that they'll be cutting school lunch programs for underprivileged children. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/gov-gen-guests-rack-up-100k-in-flight-catering-bill-during-dubai-trip

Why do we even pay for this nonsense anyway?

Probably because that's what these things cost. Are you suggesting that if the Governor General and all the other hoity-toities using these services were rightists that they'd be paying for these themselves?

No doubt they're all boarding flights to Saskatchewan as we speak to undo the great humanitarian tragedy you've mentioned that's unfolding under your right-wing...hoity-toity.

It's not the amount of money being spent or wasted. The important thing is, who is the one doing the spending?

We all remember the outrage over the $17 glass of orange juice but that was a Conservative member that was responsible. As usual, anyone on the left side of the political spectrum get's a pass.

And those in the GG position should not get that extremely generous pension for such a short period of service nor should they be able to continually keep billing taxpayers for expenses. Remember Adrien Clarkson.

33 minutes ago, ironstone said:

It's not the amount of money being spent or wasted. The important thing is, who is the one doing the spending?

This would be more important to me if the context of the focus on privilege was oriented vertically on the axis between governments and the governed. 

We all remember the outrage over the $17 glass of orange juice but that was a Conservative member that was responsible. As usual, anyone on the left side of the political spectrum get's a pass.

And those in the GG position should not get that extremely generous pension for such a short period of service nor should they be able to continually keep billing taxpayers for expenses. Remember Adrien Clarkson.

Sure we remember these things it's just that not all of us buy into the idea that ideological differences on a horizontal spectrum are the more important consideration in the scheme of things.

You know all this stuff I say about sousveillance and subjecting politicians to the sort of monitoring they'd subject us to?  I'd sic it the hardest on the representatives I pick to minimize the chance they'd cause some scandal that drags them along my hopes down the toilet in their struggle to cover it up. 

Edited by eyeball

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Probably because that's what these things cost. Are you suggesting that if the Governor General and all the other hoity-toities using these services were rightists that they'd be paying for these themselves?

No doubt they're all boarding flights to Saskatchewan as we speak to undo the great humanitarian tragedy you've mentioned that's unfolding under your right-wing...hoity-toity.

You support a 100k drunk fest on the tax payer? 

1 hour ago, ironstone said:

I have first hand experience with this. I can say, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the government and its bureaucracies spend money thoughtlessly. Why? Its not their money. I've seen them when they're on their own dime too. Completely different story.

Our entire federal and provincial governments and every department within it has no regard for taxpayers' dollars, Our budget system is designed around "use it or lose", the more you use the more you get and vice versa. The federal government fiscal year is from May 1 st until 30 Apr, come March or April, and everyone losses their minds to find ways to spend their budgets every cent of them, they will spend millions upon millions of taxpayers funds on some of the stupidest items you can imagine. there are budgets for everything, training, traveling, supplies, repair parts, fuel, and all of it needs to be spent...And when 30 April arrives everything that is not spent gets given back to Ottawa, DND has a nasty habit of returning billions upon billions of unspent funding. 

If I have calculated correctly the difference between the litre and the gallon and the exchange rate between the euro and the dollar I come to the outcome that the average price of petrol in the USA is 1.70 euros/litre and that is unprecedented and considered outrageously expensive and likely to lead to a crushing defeat for the Democrats in the mid-terms.

In Finland the price of petrol is laready above 2.50/litre and our salaries are much lower. Everything is relative.