US Supreme Court strikes down Roe V. Wade

6 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

No what bullshit. Clearly this SCOTUS is made up of partisan hacks, by the way the Republican majority is ramming through partisan Republican decisions one after another. You really think they’re non-partisan?  Hilarious. 

Even RBG said your Roe ruling was problematic. 

1 minute ago, BeaverFever said:

So what, she didn’t say it was invalid. 

It is invalid and has been overturned. 

S. 14 doesn't even discuss "reproductive rights". It does, however, discuss due process which Democrats have been attacking profusely by raiding law offices of attorneys of political opponents, bogus investigations into political adversaries, imprisonment without trial dates (people have been sitting in jail for a year for alleged participation in Jan 6 without access to lawyers and no trial dates) etc

They love to cry about "rights" that aren't in the constitution while trampling on rights that actually are in the constitution

24 minutes ago, BeaverFever said:

No what bullshit. Clearly this SCOTUS is made up of partisan hacks, by the way the Republican majority is ramming through partisan Republican decisions one after another. You really think they’re non-partisan?  Hilarious. 

never said they were non-partisan

but far less partisan than the court that made Roe v Wade law

Edited by Yzermandius19

9 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

I’lll keep saying it:  A fertilized egg is not a child 

Nowhere in the constitution does it say that fertilized egg is a human with rights. Even your partisan right wing Supreme Court isn’t saying that which is why they ruled states can still choose to allow abortion, which would not be the case if the considered it a human being. 

So as you say, states can decide how to proceed. So...why are you arguing here?

11 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

never said they were non-partisan

but far less partisan than the court that made Roe v Wade law

Public confidence in the Supreme Court is at a record low. 

https://news.yahoo.com/poll-confidence-in-supreme-court-has-collapsed-since-conservatives-took-control-122402500.html

75% of Americans disagree.

10 minutes ago, Aristides said:

It isn't just a matter of disagreeing with a decision, the majority of Americans have lost confidence in their supreme court. That is very unhealthy for a democracy. 

the Supreme Court is not subject to public opinion

that is as it should be

and what it was designed to be

the SCOTUS is the best it's been in decades

it's not supposed to be democratic

they are supposed to hold the legislative and executive branch in check when they go astray

and they are for the first time in a long time

rule of law > democracy

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the Supreme Court is not subject to public opinion

that is as it should be

and what it was designed to be

the SCOTUS is the best it's been in decades

it's not supposed to be democratic

they are supposed to hold the legislative and executive branch in check when they go astray

and they are for the first time in a long time

rule of law > democracy

This supreme court is totally out of touch with the people. They don't want to return to the 18th century.

A supreme court is not supposed to have an agenda of its own. This one clearly does and that is why people have lost confidence in it. 

When a society loses confidence in its institutions, the way is opened for dictatorships.

3 minutes ago, Aristides said:

This supreme court is totally out of touch with the people. They don't want to return to the 18th century.

A supreme court is not supposed to have an agenda of its own. This one clearly does and that is why people have lost confidence in it. 

When a society loses confidence in its institutions, the way is opened for dictatorships.

Roe v Wade is 1973, not the 18th century

the Supreme Court is supposed uphold the rule of law

not give the people what they want

not upholding the rule of law is the stuff dictatorships are made of

the people very often support dictatorships in contravention of the rule of law

it is the rule of law that is the bulwark against dictatorship not democracy

Edited by Yzermandius19

27 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Roe v Wade is 1973, not the 18th century

the Supreme Court is supposed uphold the rule of law

not give the people what they want

not upholding the rule of law is the stuff dictatorships are made of

the people very often support dictatorships in contravention of the rule of law

it is the rule of law that is the bulwark against dictatorship not democracy

Overturning R v W was using an 18th century interpretation to overturn a right granted in the 20th century. 

A majority of Americans do not want to return to the 18th century.

Rome became a dictatorship because the people lost confidence in the Republic.

Edited by Aristides

16 hours ago, Aristides said:

Pro choice is not pro abortion. That has been explained to you multiple times but seems to be beyond your comprehension. 

WTF is it you don't understand about the word, CHOICE.

You're pro-abortion by definition

You can re-brand it however you like within your echo chamber, but people who are more interested in accuracy and the truth are 100% correct to call you pro-abortion, because your liberal use of abortion is what differentiates you from healthy members of society. It just is what it is.

Just now, WestCanMan said:

You're pro-abortion by definition

You can re-brand it however you like within your echo chamber, but people who are more interested in accuracy and the truth are 100% correct to call you pro-abortion, because your liberal use of abortion is what differentiates you from healthy members of society. It just is what it is.

Oh fuck off. In my opinion, abortion is the worst form of birth control but that doesn't mean I have the right to impose my views on anyone else or deny others something they may need because of any personal ideology. You really don't understand the meaning of choice and the right of others to make choices you don't like.

14 hours ago, BeaverFever said:

Uh no YOUR reading comprehension is failing you, dropout. Re-read my post and the article again.  You don’t get it. 

You're obviously the dropout here, you're posting articles which you don't even understand. 

eliminating conscience exemptions — for example, the right of medical professionals not to kill babies.

That's a political litmus test - if you don't know what it means then you're so stupid that you have no hope of being anything but a leftist. I hope you enjoyed eating those paint chips when you were a kid because this is the end result.  

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

Oh fuck off. In my opinion, abortion is the worst form of birth control but that doesn't mean I have the right to impose my views on anyone else or deny others something they may need because of any personal ideology. You really don't understand the meaning of choice and the right of others to make choices you don't like.

People make choices that I would never make and that I don't respect all the time, but not all of them are worth bitching about. 

The "choice" to kill healthy post-viability fetuses is worth more than just bitching about. It abhorrent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

People make choices that I would never make and that I don't respect all the time, but not all of them are worth bitching about. 

The "choice" to kill healthy post-viability fetuses is worth more than just bitching about. It abhorrent. 

At 22 weeks a foetus is only considered 5 % viable and 0% without extreme medical intervention. 1% of abortions are done after 20 weeks. That 1% would easily fit in the category of abortions done because the women's life is in danger or the foetus is not viable or even already dead.

17 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Yes exactly. It's only not abhorrent to some as they've been conditioned to believe the baby in the womb is not an actual baby and have a very low view of the sanctity of life. 

They try to make it an attack on religion when you don't need to be religious to see its disgusting

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

At 22 weeks a foetus is only considered 5 % viable and 0% without extreme medical intervention. 1% of abortions are done after 20 weeks. That 1% would easily fit in the category of abortions done because the women's life is in danger or the foetus is not viable or even already dead.

At around week 16 the fetus is making choices. It can taste what the mother recently ingested, and if they like it, they drink more amniotic fluid. If she eats something they don't like, or she smokes or drinks alcohol, it drinks less. That's how smoking causes low birth weight. 

It's not viable at that point, but it's no longer just a blob of proteins. At ~ 7 months it can survive outside the womb. It's a 'baby', i.e. a 'human', it's just not born yet. Killing it is sickening.

Abortions are not done at 7 months unless it is an emergency and a baby certainly cannot survive outside the womb without extensive life support in a NICU.

I have a beautiful 8 yr old grand daughter who was born 6 weeks premature. She spent several weeks in a NICU before she could come home.

Just now, Aristides said:

Abortions are not done at 7 months unless it is an emergency and a baby certainly cannot survive outside the womb without extensive life support in a NICU.

I have a beautiful 8 yr old grand daughter who was born 6 weeks premature. She spent several weeks in a NICU before she could come home.

And you think the mother could just kill her at any time in the womb?

10 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

At around week 16 the fetus is making choices. It can taste what the mother recently ingested, and if they like it, they drink more amniotic fluid. If she eats something they don't like, or she smokes or drinks alcohol, it drinks less. That's how smoking causes low birth weight. 

It's not viable at that point, but it's no longer just a blob of proteins. At ~ 7 months it can survive outside the womb. It's a 'baby', i.e. a 'human', it's just not born yet. Killing it is sickening.

It can most likely feel pain very early into the pregnancy.. don't think people get that

1 hour ago, Aristides said:

Overturning R v W was using an 18th century interpretation to overturn a right granted in the 20th century. 

A majority of Americans do not want to return to the 18th century.

Rome became a dictatorship because the people lost confidence in the Republic.

Rome became a dictatorship because there was no rule of law because the generals wouldn't abide by it

and the people supported that

argument ad populum was as stupid to invoke this time as it was the last time you invoked it

popularity does not determine constitutional law

Edited by Yzermandius19

24 minutes ago, Aristides said:

this is untrue

some states allow late term abortions regardless of the health of the mother

Edited by Yzermandius19