Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?

Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, Shady said:

I don’t understand how his comments are automatically related to immigrants.  From what I read of his comments, they could pretty much apply to most people.

"I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”

"Everybody" clearly means only immigrants now, according to the Woke Outrage Cancel Culture Mob.

Edited by Yzermandius19

You can’t paint a whole group of people with the same brush.  There is high culture and crudeness among all ethnicities.  Some cultures are historically more progressive or sophisticated than others, but everyone is unique and accountable for their own merits.  Nevertheless we need to cut each other some slack and not be so quick to condemn.  Some are more privileged than others, but that doesn’t mean people can be or should be made equal through social engineering.  Differences aren’t a bad thing unless we start creating false dichotomies and turning some people into angels and others into demons.  Yes sometimes we have to separate people from society through the prison system and sometimes people cross lines and require discipline.  

Do I think Cherry crossed a line?  Yes.  Do I think he should be fired for it?  No.  I’ll bet you the man who pulled the trigger on Cherry is half the man Don Cherry is.  Meanwhile our Prime Minister has been caught in blackface at least three different times, but he apologizes so well...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PPC2019 said:

No the guy has freedom of speech, we don't fire people, just because we find one thing the day was offensive. 

Imagine if we had that kind of Tyranny on MapleleafWeb... Most of use would be kicked out, and this site would collapse.

You know what makes this a great place? Freedom of expression.

You can't fire people because they say something offensive. This is a democracy.

We do have exceptions for hate speech. 

So if he said something like "We should have the KKK teach them a lesson". I think that would be a strong enough case. If you promote the physical harm of minority, that can be grounds for hate speech.

What Don Cheery said isn't even close to meeting the threshold of hate speech. I hope Don Cheery sues, because going against free speech is a slippery slope.

If they go after him, what stops them from going after one of us next?

Wrong. You are very naive. 

Free speech only means you won't go to jail. It doesn't protect you from getting fired. Your employer can fire you for many reasons, and racist comments that reflect on your employer are certainly one of them. 

Guest PPC2019
Just now, Teena said:

No I have not. It's about two years that I've been to a local game and a year for a NHL game ... never seen one? Not that there would be anything wrong with that, but the tweets and people on the news against Cherry, many are in Turbans or Muslim. So I just think it's funny. How can you appreciate Don Cherry? 

Have you seen one? Where?

I don't mind people with persian decent. Just show your face and your hair... Show some solitary with Canadians.

I actually go to a few Take out places, and the women don't even have headscarf on... They serve great from from Iran, but they're trying to become Canadian.

I see veils like once a week, when I go to No Frils or Dollarama. I'm talking full blown veils, with nothing but their eyes showing. I find it really offensive that they don't compromise, but I just walk by. If you give them a dirty look, someone will accuse you of a hate crime...

So I just walk on by... I've seen others walk by and shake their shoulders, they were so mad.

Guest PPC2019
5 minutes ago, jacee said:

Wrong. You are very naive. 

Free speech only means you won't go to jail. It doesn't protect you from getting fired. Your employer can fire you for many reasons, and racist comments that reflect on your employer are certainly one of them. 

So It's ok to destroy someones entire reputation and career, just because they said something that didn't sound classy for 30 seconds?

The damage that been done to his Honor, is far greater than the damage that's been done to a broadcaster.

Guest PPC2019
Just now, Dougie93 said:

My American friends are reaching out, shaking their heads "WTF, Canada?"

Even they are sad to see Canadians throw their icons under the bus for the Fake Country.

You were just having a conservation with some of your American friends?

3 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

You were just having a conservation with some of your American friends?

Indeed. This isn't the only forum we post on, and some of the Americans we talk to are laughing at the post-national state being a complete joke, using Don Cherry to make the point.

Fake Country For The Fail.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Guest PPC2019

I stand up for the Chinese in Markham... Well at least when I was a kid. They were first generation immigrants... Extremely hard working. Extremely disciplined.. They didn't go crime. They helped turn Markham into an economic superpower.

I get people from other parts of the cities... Saying how can I put up with all the Chinese...They make fun of their accents, and I put them in their place. I'm like how can you put up with all the crime you got in Scarborough? The Chinese are creating jobs, and helping lower crime. I've never had a Chinese client rip me off in Business.

Edited by PPC2019

Guest PPC2019
7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Yeah, I mostly hang out with Americans online,  many ex-US military,  this is the only "Canadian" forum I post on.

It depends where they are. I absolutely hate Ocean City Maryland, and Delaware.

I remember being in Deleware and paid in cash... Some guy complained because I didn't have a credit card for a refund. He was like... We're only authorized to give refunds on your credit card, so will mail you a Cheque.

I felt like saying "No wonder why you're 23 Trillion in debt".

If ya take me to Arizona or Wyoming, I love it.

I went to Michigan and all the highways are falling apart. Potholes everywhere, uneven surfaces...

Edited by PPC2019

Just now, PPC2019 said:

It depends where they are. I absolutely hate Ocean City Maryland, and Delaware.

If ya take me to Wyoming or Arizona, I love it.

These guy's are from all over,  my buddy from Tennessee is a big Preds fan, my buddy from Seattle doesn't watch hockey, but he still knows who Don Cherry is.

18 hours ago, Argus said:

He wasn't fired because he offended hockey fans. He was fired because the network honchos were terrified that THEY would be attacked for being less than woke if they didn't fire him. And for the most party you can't work in the mainstream media in Canada, even behind the scenes, if you're accused of being anything other than desperately progressive. Callout culture now, as implemented by the authoritarian Left, does not tolerate the slightest utterance of politically incorrect thoughts. Anyone they catch doing so gets mobbed, and if they're immune to it then the mob goes after their employer.

Most of the people who are bothered by what he said never watch hockey and never will anyway. Nor do they wear poppies. Nor are they immigrants. They're entitled, relatively well-off white liberals wallowing in their own smug sense of moral superiority.

They're entitled to fire someone who's bad for business.

I'm pretty sure there are some Conservatives who are not racist.

Edited by jacee
And=bad

Guest PPC2019
1 minute ago, jacee said:

They're entitled to fire someone who's and for business.

I'm pretty sure there are some Conservatives who are not racist.

Maybe you live in a part of Canada that does have mass immigration replacing your entire race. So you have the luxury of blaming others for problems you're not experiencing.

28 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

I don't mind people with persian decent. Just show your face and your hair... Show some solitary with Canadians.

I actually go to a few Take out places, and the women don't even have headscarf on... They serve great from from Iran, but they're trying to become Canadian.

I see veils like once a week, when I go to No Frils or Dollarama. I'm talking full blown veils, with nothing but their eyes showing. I find it really offensive that they don't compromise, but I just walk by. If you give them a dirty look, someone will accuse you of a hate crime...

So I just walk on by... I've seen others walk by and shake their shoulders, they were so mad.

Sorry PPC ... have you at a hockey game? If your into hockey?

19 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

I stand up for the Chinese in Markham... Well at least when I was a kid. They were first generation immigrants... Extremely hard working. Extremely disciplined.. They didn't go crime. They helped turn Markham into an economic superpower.

I get people from other parts of the cities... Saying how can I put up with all the Chinese...They make fun of their accents, and I put them in their place. I'm like how can you put up with all the crime you got in Scarborough? The Chinese are creating jobs, and helping lower crime. I've never had a Chinese client rip me off in Business.

The hard working immigrants aren't the ones who demanded Cherry's head, they're too busy trying do business. this is all about the Woke white guilt Liberal elitists.

11 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

You're free to give an opinion, but when it sounds retarded, no one is going to care about it.

Cherry is an obnoxious ignoramus who should have been put out to pasture years ago. How about that? Nobody has to wear a poppy. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland