Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?

Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest PPC2019

It doesn't matter if your feelings were hurt. The guys worked for decades. No one should get fired for giving an opinion, even if it's racist.

If they can take away his free speech, they can take away yours.

You have to have checks and balances.

We force the police to get a search warrant, before they enter your home.

Why don't we make corporations get authorization from a judge, before they decide to fire someone for being offensive?

8 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

It doesn't matter if your feelings were hurt. The guys worked for decades. No one should get fired for giving an opinion, even if it's racist.

If they can take away his free speech, they can take away yours.

You have to have checks and balances.

We force the police to get a search warrant, before they enter your home.

Why don't we make corporations get authorization from a judge, before they decide to fire someone for being offensive?

The individual can claim a wrongful dismissal if they want to, but I dont think Cherry wants to.  

Also:

Guest PPC2019
1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

The courts would just throw it back to the owners, if you want to sue, you can sue, but the bench would not impose prior restraint.

This is happening far too often... I remember back to the time an off duty Hydro One employee got fired for telling a reporter he thought the FHRITP phrase was funny. He didn't even say the praze. He just said he personally found it funny.

Apparently he sued and got his job back. The idiot lefties cheered the decisions, not realizing that there tax dollars would go towards the settlement.

5 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

This is happening far too often... I remember back to the time an off duty Hydro One employee got fired for telling a reporter he thought the FHRITP phrase was funny. He didn't even say the praze. He just said he personally found it funny.

Apparently he sued and got his job back. The idiot lefties cheered the decisions, not realizing that there tax dollars would go towards the settlement.

Don is a millionaire several times over, he doesn't need the money.

HNIC is sponsored by the People's Communist Party of Huawei who are murdering people in the streets of Hong Kong.

Best for Don to get out, HNIC is run by the commies naow.   For all you know he wanted to blow it up, and this is just how he chose to do it.

It's not like he is apologizing, he doubled down.

Edited by Dougie93

Guest PPC2019
Just now, Dougie93 said:

Don is a millionaire several times over, HNIC is sponsored by the People's Communist Party of Hawuei who are murdering people in the streets of Hing Kong.

Best for Don to get out, HNIC is run by the commies naow.   For all you know he wanted to blow it up, and this is just how he chose to do it.

It's not like he is apologizing, he doubled down.

I hope he sues for everything they got.

Unless he sues, it will set a bad president... and what happens when the fire some blue collar worker because of something somebody didn't like on Facebook.

I don't like revenge politics.

Just now, PPC2019 said:

I hope he sues for everything they got.

Unless he sues, it will set a bad president... and what happens when the fire some blue collar worker because of something somebody didn't like on Facebook.

I don't like revenge politics.

He wouldn't win,  the contract would give them license, he has no case.

But in recent years, Cherry has come to seem more and more a relic of a hockey world, and even a Canada, that no longer exists. “He is a Canadian icon who has done a lot of good things, but they should have never let him stay that long on the air,” said Chris “Knuckles” Nilan, a retired player who Cherry once publicly attacked for being insufficiently pro-fighting. “Honestly, I think they set him up to fail. They could have let him go a little earlier, maybe when he was 80.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/coachs-corner-don-cherry-fired

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Guest PPC2019
5 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Shitting on immigrants on a national sportscast is dumb move.  He should know better.  Keep that stuff for personal convo.

Look. I'm white and I hate wearing poppies.

I'll respect the dead, but I still hate wearing poppies.

I don't like making pinholes through my clothes, and when I was a kid I had the pin pop out and stab me.

Sounded like an old guy trying to be bossy. Who cares let it go.

Edited by PPC2019

Just now, PPC2019 said:

I don't like making pinholes through my clothes, and when I was a kid I had the pip pop out and stab me.

You bend the pin so that it doesn't stick you nor fall off. 

I don't hate the poppy, it has simply been rendered meaningless by the farcical Canadian zeitgeist.

I chose not to wear it, to express my contempt for Canadian lip service.

1 minute ago, PPC2019 said:

I don't like making pinholes through my clothes, and when I was a kid I had the pin pop out and stab me.

Ok who cares.  Shitting on immigrants on national tv is still bad career move that your employer isn't going to like.  Sometimes you gotta check yourself before you wreck yourself.

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't think it was a mistake, I think he well knew that this was going to be the result, he prolly knew they weren't going to bring him back, so he decided to go out with a bang.

Well he's 85 years old, getting fired means nothing to him anyways. This was a cross he could afford to die on.  Suing would be pointless for many reasons, including he's 85 years old and who needs that aggravation at that age.

Just now, Moonlight Graham said:

Well he's 85 years old, getting fired means nothing to him anyways. This was a cross he could afford to die on.  Suing would be pointless for many reasons, including he's 85 years old and who needs that aggravation at that age.

He's not gonna sue, he' a martyr for the cause, he's thrown gasoline on the fire, and it seems to me deliberate.

Don knows, the guys and gals who are Rockem' Sockem' are going to stand by him,  this will have an Obi-Wan effect, he's more beloved by his fans than before.

It's not like I agree with Don on everything, nor have I ever,  to include that the poppy still has any meaning beyond social convention lip service.

But he's always been down for the troops, and when I met him, he was extremely nice and gracious towards me, so I like the guy personally, even when I disagree with him.

Guest PPC2019
11 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

He's not gonna sue, he' a martyr for the cause, he's thrown gasoline on the fire, and it seems to me deliberate.

Don knows, the guys and gals who are Rockem' Sockem' are going to stand by him,  this will have an Obi-Wan effect, he's more beloved by his fans than before.

I once we to a stupid bar in a hick town called Parry Sound. It's called Don Cherry's. Went upstairs to have a beer. It was like 3 girls on the dance floor and 5 dudes learning against the wall. I didn't even order the beer. I just walked out.

So whenever I think of Don Cherry, I think of that stupid bar.

Edited by PPC2019

1 minute ago, PPC2019 said:

I once we to a stupid bar in a hick town called Parry Sound. It's called Don Cherry's. Went upstairs to have a beer. It was like 3 girls on the dance floor and 5 dudes learning against the wall. I didn't even order the beer. I just walked out.

So whenever I think of Don Cherry, I think of that stupid bar.

When I met him, we were in uniform, and he basically made sure we had the run of the place, he took us around, told the staff that we were with him, it was VIP behind the curtain at the ACC.  That's how I remember him.