Majority of Canadians are in favour of our current immigration system

marcus

8 hours ago, dialamah said:

So ... it's ok if people beat-up (progressive) "air head protesters", but not right-wing demonstrators?

When was the last 'right wing' demonstration you can recall which blocked bridges and roads without permits?

5 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

The problem with our immigration system is not how many we let in, it's the point system we have in place, that attracts those with higher education to get here and have their credentials (education, work experience) not recognized.

First, it's more like 17% come in under the points system. Second, no one interviews them to ascertain whether their language skills are up to par (there has been a lot of corruption at the language schools Canada uses to test them), nor that their degree is real (massive numbers of false degrees and cheating in our major source countries). Third, even when their degree is real their institution often provides a very inferior education to what is required in Canada.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Argus said:

...and plenty of evidence it causes trouble. 

Well said Argus! Crime and poverty increasing in Canada. 

The crime in Brampton, Ontario -

Brampton

“Browntown,” “Bramladesh”or “Singhdale” – is just like the nicknames imply: mostly brown. On our street of new semi-detached houses, I see brown and black families, mostly immigrants.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/brampton-a-story-of-political-importance-power-and-ethnic-enclaves/article30273820/

Here's Why Violent Crime Is On The Rise in Brampton :

https://www.inbrampton.com/heres-why-violent-crime-is-on-the-rise-in-brampton

here are the results of 3 polls which show that in most cases Canadians do not favor higher immigration numbers , many feel they are to high... I think Marcus is being dishonest here with this post....or putting to much faith in them...

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/what-do-canadians-think-about-immigration-levels-three-poll-results

7 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

As if 24% of the population really had that as a top priority. Yeah right.

And you don't doubt that for a second.

I'm not sure what rock you are living under, but yes, I definitely believe that 24% of Canadians see the environment as a top priority.

2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

here are the results of 3 polls which show that in most cases Canadians do not favor higher immigration numbers , many feel they are to high... I think Marcus is being dishonest here with this post....or putting to much faith in them...

https://vancouversun.com/news/staff-blogs/what-do-canadians-think-about-immigration-levels-three-poll-results

You should check the dates of your articles and surveys:

image.thumb.png.d719d2d5eb7c1a5401f713371d045ac1.png

November 2018.

The survey in the OP is from October of 2019, right in the middle of the elections. The results show why the party with immigration as its central issue won 0 seats and very little support countrywide. 

I think you're lazy by not paying attention to what you're sharing and reading.

5 hours ago, Teena said:

Brampton

“Browntown,” “Bramladesh”or “Singhdale” – is just like the nicknames imply: mostly brown. On our street of new semi-detached houses, I see brown and black families, mostly immigrants.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/toronto/brampton-a-story-of-political-importance-power-and-ethnic-enclaves/article30273820/

Those brown people eh?

From your own article, you scared little person:

And, though Brampton may seem worse than other cities in regards to crime, that may not be the case.

According to Statistics Canada, Peel's violent crime rate is at a rate of 620 per 100,000; however, this falls below the provincial rate of 899 and the national rate of 1,144. Peel continues to show a violent crime rate below a number of other Canadian cities including Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, Calgary, Vancouver and Edmonton.   

5 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Lol that's absolutely preposterous.

Canadians like to fecklessly virtue signal about the environment, what's so preposterous about that? The poll isn't evaluating how much they care about an issue based on their actions, but based on their virtue signaling opinions.

Edited by Yzermandius19

8 hours ago, Teena said:

Brampton

Lol I grew up in Malton, a stones throw from Brampton.  Believe me, nothings changed. 

4 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Lol that's absolutely preposterous.

Why?  The survey tells us that barely 1 in 4 people thought the environment was of significant importance.  Are you suggesting that barely 1/4 of the population is "too many"?

4 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Canadians like to fecklessly virtue signal about the environment, what's so preposterous about that? The poll isn't evaluating how much they care about an issue based on their actions, but based on their virtue signaling opinions.

76% of people did not identify the environment as their top concern; if Canadians like to "fecklessly" virtue signal environmental concern, why did so many fail to take part in this fecklessness?

You guys busily denying the results of the poll based on nothing more than your "feels" are pretty hilarious.

8 minutes ago, dialamah said:

76% of people did not identify the environment as their top concern; if Canadians like to "fecklessly" virtue signal environmental concern, why did so many fail to take part in this fecklessness?

You guys busily denying the results of the poll based on nothing more than your "feels" are pretty hilarious.

I am not denying the results of the poll, in fact, I was pointing out that QuebecOverCanada was doing that, so how you are lumping me in with him on this one is beyond me.

Many of those who like to fecklessly virtue signal about the environment like to fecklessly virtue signal about other issues as well, who knew?

Edited by Yzermandius19

16 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You have a legal right to peacefully protest.  You have no legal right to interfere with traffic.  Peaceful protestors should be allowed a voice.  People holding up traffic should move for be arrested.  It's disturbing the peace. 

And the cops did disperse the protesters, whilst still treating them with respect.  Yes, some commuters were inconvenienced, but consider that a 45 minute traffic blockage could also occur due to a traffic accident or a jumper.  Cops going into a peaceful protest with tasers drawn and handcuffs out merely makes the protesters martyrs to their supporters.  Peaceful negotiation to end it was the civilized and adult way of dealing with it.  Violence, whether from protesters or police, would not be.

16 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Your freedom to protest should not interfere with someone's right to use a public road.

Maybe people using those public roads are the ones who need to have the message front and center.  The upcoming inconvenience as a result of climate change is going to make protesters on a bridge inconsequential.

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

Why?  The survey tells us that barely 1 in 4 people thought the environment was of significant importance.  Are you suggesting that barely 1/4 of the population is "too many"?

Not of significant importance. Their top 1 priority.

e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x

11 hours ago, marcus said:

Where did you get 17%?

In fact, only about 15 to 17 per cent of the annual flow consists of immigrants selected because they have skills, education and experience. Because of the pressure to get high numbers, few of these workers are seen or interviewed by visa officers. The selection is done by a paper review. The remainder of the movement is made up of the spouses and children accompanying the workers, family members sponsored by relatives in Canada, immigrants selected by the provinces (who do not have to meet federal selection criteria ), refugees and humanitarian cases.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/columnists/bissett-immigration-policy-is-out-of-control-and-needs-an-overhaul

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

Maybe people using those public roads are the ones who need to have the message front and center.  The upcoming inconvenience as a result of climate change is going to make protesters on a bridge inconsequential.

There is unlikely to be much significant change in Canada's climate for decades. People like to attribute every storm and change in the weather to climate change, but it's just not so. Trudeau blamed western forest fires on climate change and the cause was actually arson.

39 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Not of significant importance. Their top 1 priority.

Well, for young people I wouldn't doubt it. They don't care about health care because they don't use it. They know little or nothing about the economy or the international situation, or how government operates. Besides, a lot of people care about Co2. They're just not willing to pay to do anything about it.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

And the cops did disperse the protesters, whilst still treating them with respect.  Yes, some commuters were inconvenienced, but consider that a 45 minute traffic blockage could also occur due to a traffic accident or a jumper.  Cops going into a peaceful protest with tasers drawn and handcuffs out merely makes the protesters martyrs to their supporters.  Peaceful negotiation to end it was the civilized and adult way of dealing with it.  Violence, whether from protesters or police, would not be.

Blocking traffic because you got in a car accident isn't illegal, blocking traffic because you want to force people to listen to your activism is illegal.  The message of the activism is irrelevant.  There were no negotiations, the cops told the protestors if they didn't leave they'd be arrested and so they left.  No good cop is going to start arresting and tasing pedestrians without giving them a warning first.  Forcing people to listen to your message by blocking their freedom of movement is the height of arrogance.  Stand on the public sidewalk wherever you want and do it like everyone else.

9 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Blocking traffic because you got in a car accident isn't illegal, blocking traffic because you want to force people to listen to your activism is illegal.  The message of the activism is irrelevant.  There were no negotiations, the cops told the protestors if they didn't leave they'd be arrested and so they left.  No good cop is going to start arresting and tasing pedestrians without giving them a warning first.  Forcing people to listen to your message by blocking their freedom of movement is the height of arrogance.  Stand on the public sidewalk wherever you want and do it like everyone else.

I actually got blocked by a union strike when I was a contractor.  The company called me in for some estimates but I had to wait 10 minutes before they let me pass.  

9 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

A little civil disobedience is not a bad thing, imo, particularly when it comes to important issues like climate change - the protesters call themselves "Extinction Rebellion" for a reason you know.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

A little civil disobedience is not a bad thing, imo, particularly when it comes to important issues like climate change - the protesters call themselves "Extinction Rebellion" for a reason you know.   

Because they are radicals who are hysterical.

On 11/6/2019 at 11:01 PM, QuebecOverCanada said:

LOL as if the number 1 priority for most Canadians was the environment. Are you dumb?

Why do I never get any of these calls, and what I think about immigration?  I have never received a call from any of these survey takers since I was born. And just where were these surveys taken? In Northern Alberta or multicultural Toronto? I can bet you dollars to donuts that the survey was taken in the latter by a bunch of partisan Marxist liberals in Toronto. What a joke Canada has become. It's bloody sad what the Marxists liberals have been allowed to get away with for so many, many decades. And we must never forget that questions can be poised in such a way as to get an answer that the pollster wants to hear and get. That is why surveys or polls can never be trusted or relied on. Some people will agree with a poll just to look politically correct. Aw well. 

On 11/6/2019 at 9:46 PM, marcus said:

A growing majority of Canadians reject the idea that their country is accepting too many immigrants. This view is due in part because eight in ten believe that immigration is helping Canada’s economy.

According to a recent survey by Environics Institute, done in October 2019 on Canadians' attitude towards immigration, there are some interesting findings, which I thought was important to post considering that it contradicts some of the participants on this forum. Here are some of the findings:

---
Most important issues facing Canada today

Environment: 24
Economy: 22
Healthcare: 9
Poor Government/Leadership: 8
Unemployment: 4
Taxes: 4
Crime/law and order: 2
Immigration/Refugees: 2

---
Agree-Disagree: “Overall, there is too much immigration in Canada.”

Agree: 34%
Disagree: 63%

A positive view of current immigration levels is most widely expressed by Liberal Party (74%) and NDP (79%) supporters, followed by those who say they will vote for the Green Party (69%) or Bloc Quebecois (64%). Conservative Party supporters are more divided, with 51 percent agreeing that immigration levels are too high, compared with 45 percent who disagree.

---
Agree-Disagree: “Overall, immigration has a positive impact on the economy of Canada.”

Agree: 80%
Disagree: 16%

As on past surveys, attitudes about immigration and refugees differ across the population. Positive sentiments are most prevalent among younger Canadians and those with a university education. Negative views are most evident in Alberta, among Canadians ages 60 and older, and those without a high school diploma. In Quebec, despite the recent controversy over its new legislation banning religious dress, public opinion about immigrants is as positive if not more so than in other parts of the country.

---
Agree-Disagree: “There are too many immigrants coming into this country who are not adopting Canadian values.”

Agree: 50%
Disagree: 43%

---
Agree-Disagree: “Canada accepts too many immigrants from racial minority groups.”

Agree: 29%
Disagree: 64%

Some portion of public resistance to immigration stems from negative attitudes towards newcomers with specific racial and ethnic backgrounds (predominantly non-white or racialized). This continues to be evident in current public sentiment, but much less so than in previous generations.

Agreement with the statement is the minority view across the country, but most notably among Canadians 18 to 29 (21%), those with a university degree (19%) and supporters of the Federal NDP (13%). The view that Canada accepts too many immigrants from racial minorities is most evident among Canadians without a high school diploma (42%) and household incomes of less than $30,000 (40%).

I have never been polled once in my life. Hello, I live in Canada too, hello! LOL. So, just where was this survey taken anyway? In Northern Alberta or multicultural Toronto? I say that the survey was no doubt taken in the latter where the pollsters will get the favorable immigration response that they are looking for which is, yes, most Canadians have no problem with our present day immigration policy of bringing in hundreds of thousands of foreign born incompatible cultures into Canada. Come on, eh? Who are they trying to fool here? 

Immigration is having an impact on Canada today alright. Because of all of this mass immigration going on today in Canada we now will need more infrastructure/more new roads, more housing/businesses, a major assault on our medicare and social services system, and of course more of an attack on the environment, and the animals that live in the environment.

And besides, if more immigration has been so great for Canada, why then is there approx. two million Canadians out there looking for work and a job. There should be no one looking for work in Canada today, or very few.doing so. I see plenty of new businesses in BC being bought up by Pakastanis here in BC. and just about all of their employees are East Indian. They appear to be hiring only their own people, with a few other non-East Indians thrown in the mix to make it appear as though they are not being racist but do appear and prefer to hire one of their own, rather than someone who is not of their own. Go ahead if you have an answer for those two that I mentioned above, fella? 

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

Because they're overly dramatic neurotics?