Saudi Arabia expells Canadian ambassador

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

The PM you loathe so much has made indigenous rights a priority, to the extent of adding a holiday recognizing its importance. It doesn’t matter to you because you’ll criticize Canada for any measures it takes to address the problems on reserves as giving into special interests. You contradict yourself all over the map.  Mining by companies from western countries has always been contentious.  Canada can stack up its excesses and sins beside the U.S.’s and other countries.  Question is, what are you doing about it?  I’ll tell you, nothing, because you represent strengthening the haves and letting the have nots fall further into decline, but if a government you disagree with on some issues takes an important stance to right a wrong, you simply call them hypocritical to undermine any positive actions.  Not cool. 

So, just what did the white British/french settlers do that made the native Indians feel as though they have been so hard done by the British/french settlers?

1. The settlers stopped them from killing each other. That was good. 

2. They forced them into residential schools to teach them how to read and write. That was good. 

3. Started to introduce them to civilization that eventually would make their lives easier for them. That was good. 

4. They don't even have to pay taxes, but I do. That is not so good. 

The native Indians of today have nothing to whine and cry about. They have it good. They just do not know how to go about using the hundreds of millions of Taxpayer's tax dollars that are being given to them freely in a proper manner. If they did they should all be millionaires by now. Indians have more rights than non-Indians have. Why they keep whining and crying about how they are always being mistreated by the taxpayer's of Canada is beyond me. If there ever was anyone in this country that should have a new holiday named after them it should be the Canadian taxpayer's of this country for all the theft and waste that has been done to their tax dollars by our fearless dear leaders called politicians. Now that would be good. :D 

32 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

If you think that Trump, fascists and racists are better supporters of indigenous people, I fear for you. 

I fear for you that you are totally clueless about Trump. The real fascists and racists are the liberals and democrats. Those two pretty much haters of all things decent and moral want to make everyone believe that they care about and are all for they the American people when in reality they were just the opposite and the ones who despise they the American people. You need to get your head out of that liberal lying CNN and CBC sand box. You have no idea what Hillary had ready for they the American people if she became president. They dodged a bullet. Hillary wanted a war with Russia and by now America would be having a war with Russia. Trump is trying to avoid a war with Russia. Believe it or not. 

Edited by taxme

With regard to your comments on indigenous people, I would say that there’s a failure to look at context. Some want to vilify our first PM Sir John A MacDonald and remove his statues because of anti-aboriginal comments and policies that relate to very different attitudes and times.  Granted, the Indian Act needs major revision. Some will point to MacDonald’s remarks that Canada should not feed or fund indigenous people as horrible remarks, but I think he was trying to avoid the situation we’re in now of a segment of society that believes government should build its homes and provide services without asking for taxation or anything in return. It basically created a dependent class of welfare recipients.  Yes, there are some successful reserves, especially the ones out west that have capitalized on resources.  There are many decaying reserves that need major infrastructure upgrades and that depend on the government to provide them.  We need to provide the important things right now to protect the vulnerable, but then we need a better long term plan. Indigenous people need to come to a consensus on whether preserving the reserve system or doing something else is better.  It’s a no win for the government as every failure will be blamed on it for past sins.  Some (most) of the most successful indigenous people left the reserve.

It’s terrible how many missing and murdered indigenous women there are, but when Trudeau launched his costly inquiry, the process fell apart because of lack of consensus and support among indigenous leaders and protesters. Harper knew this and avoided such a process for that reason.  And how many victims were victimized within their own communities?  Many, sadly, though we’re afraid to be honest about this  

Real reform means not just blaming government and throwing more taxpayer money at the issues.  Ultimately, people have to learn to fish for themselves, but we have to provide reasonable and targeted support to help make this possible. Making demands like asking for millions in compensation for every individual who attended a residential school will never fly because indigenous concerns are one set of concerns among many to be born by taxpayers, who are working to cover their own bills as well as solve these problems outside the communities where they live and work. 

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Such pablum works for many, but not all Canadians.

You're just a troll whose as happy shitting on either when it suits...

...any opportunity to point out Canadian embrace of American culture, especially at the highest levels of government, will be exploited.

...ditto when Canadians reject that embrace. Especially in fact.

3 hours ago, marcus said:

Who saw the day when Saudi Arabia, one of the most extreme Muslim countries, where most terrorist comes from, with a vile human rights record is being defended by BC2004, betsy, DogOnPorch, et al?

They probably started a couple days after 9/11 actually. Their ilk have been ignoring Saudis and attacking anyone who doesn't for decades.  Because...you know...commies, Clinton, Trudeau et al.

21 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Sure we do.  BTW what's your standard for rejection so people know when its being illustrated? 

Same as yours....

• $15 billion for LAVs manufactured by General Dynamics Land Systems in Ontariario, Canada.
  • $100 million from Saudi medical students and residents.
  • $6 billion for SNC-Lavalin oil services contracts in Saudi Arabia (2017)

Money.....get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack
Money....it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good (human rights) bullshit

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I'm not giving it to you, my government is. Clearly I reject it all but still the shit rains down as if I were with it.

So what's the real standard, is it something 2nd Amendment in nature perhaps?

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm not giving it to you, my government is. Clearly I reject it all but still the shit rains down as if I were with it.

So what's the real standard, is it something 2nd Amendment in nature perhaps?

It's not about you or me....or even the Saudi earthlings.

The real standard is about revenue....and votes.

Another testament to the importance of "human rights" in Saudi-Canadian relations:

Montreal April 18, 2018

SNC-Lavalin (TSX: SNC) has been appointed by Saudi Aramco to install additional facilities for a major gas processing facility in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province. 

“SNC-Lavalin has an impressive track record of successful project delivery during our 40-years of working with Saudi Aramco and we are pleased to continue our long-term relationship on another important project,” said Christian Brown, President, Oil & Gas, SNC-Lavalin. “Not only does this contract further demonstrate our industry-recognized onshore construction solutions, it also emphasizes our commitment to supporting Saudi Aramco’s IKTVA localization program to increase the employment and skills development of local Saudi talent.” 

http://www.snclavalin.com/en/media/press-releases/2018/snc-lavalin-awarded-wasit-gas-plant-installation-contract-saudi-aramco.aspx

39 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It's not about you or me....or even the Saudi earthlings.

The real standard is about revenue....and votes.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

They probably started a couple days after 9/11 actually. Their ilk have been ignoring Saudis and attacking anyone who doesn't for decades.  Because...you know...commies, Clinton, Trudeau et al.

If we celebrate the misfortune of others it is called schadenfreude...shameful joy...and my parents told not to engage in it. It's bad. Robert McNamara also detailed that empathy is the key to understanding any conflict...which I believe is true.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

If we celebrate the misfortune of others it is called schadenfreude...shameful joy...and my parents told not to engage in it. It's bad. Robert McNamara also detailed that empathy is the key to understanding any conflict...which I believe is true.

Bullshit you believe that :lol:

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Same as yours....

• $15 billion for LAVs manufactured by General Dynamics Land Systems in Ontariario, Canada.
  • $100 million from Saudi medical students and residents.
  • $6 billion for SNC-Lavalin oil services contracts in Saudi Arabia (2017)

Money.....get back
I'm all right Jack keep your hands off of my stack
Money....it's a hit

Your moniker @ work. 

Saudis, I note, WANT the F-35 bad...along with the Gulf States...Canadian pilots at Oshkosh seemed a bit envious in some interviews...lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, betsy said:

Sorry.  Cant' take that site seriously. 

Heh. That was quite convenient. There are numerous other sites and reports that support the fact that there have been close to two times as many terrorist acts committed by far right whites than any other groups.

8 hours ago, betsy said:

Yooo-hoooo?     Am I DoP or BC?

Anyway, I'm not going to rely on your words alone. Lol.   You're the one who mostly misunderstand what's being said.

I didn't misunderstand you saying that Saudi and Canada are equals when it comes to human rights violations.

If you're going to stand by that ridiculous statement, then you're pretty much making yourself irrelevant in discussions.

8 hours ago, betsy said:

FYI, I don't care whether KSA looked like a spoiled brat.   That undiplomatic tweet  still costs us - that's what matters.  

Canada has been using backdoor channels communicating their concerns about the jailed blogger and others for a few years now. Also, of all people, why are you suddenly concerned about "undiplomatic" tweets, considering your big support for El Presidento Tweet? You can't go a day without showing your double standards.

7 hours ago, marcus said:

Canada has been using backdoor channels communicating their concerns about the jailed blogger and others for a few years now.

Now we know why backdoor channels were being used!  The previous government knew well enough.

So....why the sudden tweet?   Have they tweeted about China? 

Also, of all people, why are you suddenly concerned about "undiplomatic" tweets, considering your big support for El Presidento Tweet? You can't go a day without showing your double standards.

We're not talking about Trump. 

Speaking of double standard.....what about how Trudeau deals with China - whose government he'd said to  admire?   

Like I said - you don't understand. :)

Edited by betsy

22 hours ago, betsy said:

EH?    Who's inviting these Saudis to stay?

You are. You sure are not rooting for them to leave.

On 8/15/2018 at 3:10 PM, betsy said:

With me, it's not about the Saudis leaving.   It's about the economic impact that this undiplomatic tweet had caused us.

That's what you are worried about?

Edited by GostHacked

it cost Bils, have you not been reading the news , one could start with the Medical side of the House with over 800 Saudis interns imbedded into our health care and now leaving will leave a huge gap in an already brittle medical system. It is said that each intern or student cost approx. 130 to 140 k per. Not to mention other students in the numerous universities across the country, all of it has a price tag.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2018/08/08/the-loss-of-hundreds-of-saudi-medical-residents-will-put-a-lot-of-strain-on-canadian-patients-experts-say.html

It also blocked imports of Canadian grain, and other products, not a big deal as none have been delivered this year any ways.

Saudi Arabia and Canada do about $4 billion a year in bilateral trade. In 2017, Canadian exports to Saudi Arabia totaled $1.1 billion, a fraction of a percent of Canada’s total exports.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/08/world/middleeast/saudi-arabia-canada-rights.html

A few countries, including Bahrain and Egypt, have stated their support for Saudi Arabia’s position, but without announcing concrete steps of their own.

The Egyptian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on its Facebook page that it was “concerned” about the split between Canada and Saudi Arabia. It blamed international powers “meddling in the internal affairs of countries in the region” for the tensions.

This could lead to other issues if not resolved. like more loss of trade and valuable sources of income for our nation....