NAFTA negotiations.

I'm surprised there has been no threads on this topic yet so I thought I'd start the pot boiling :D

So far we are a couple meetings into negotiations and all has been eerily quiet from the American side, Canada is confident, Mexico is confident , Canada/Mexico have sort of a preliminary agreement started, everything is calm.

Here's what I think is going to happen...

1. Trump is suddenly going to find the time to participate and he is going to blow the whole deal wide open and everyone is going to have to start from square one

2. Chrystia Freeland will go from being a respected foreign diplomat to the lowest form of life on earth faster than feminists can scream  MISOGYNIST!!!!! in Trump's opinion when she starts standing up to him. After her reaction to the Belgian state of Walloon during the CETA giveaway this will be a thousand times worse., I wouldn't be surprised she quits politics over this. 

3. From what I've seen of Trudeau's track record so far it wouldn't be a stretch we are singing the American national anthem when the smoke clears.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

3. From what I've seen of Trudeau's track record so far it wouldn't be a stretch we are singing the American national anthem when the smoke clears.

I'll take the knee..

14 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I'll keep this post handy. I'm curious to see how the outcome compares with your prediction.

I thought I'd give it a shot -_- , I can't believe so many didn't see Trump's election victories coming.

We are in the calm before the storm, as you should be able to see Trump isn't going to sit on his laurels. Making deals is what he claims is his specialty.

Oh! And #4, this deal is going to go on well past the deadline if Canada and Mexico stand  our ground...

We have allot to lose, taking on Trump is going to cost us dearly if our politicians think they can win. It's starting already, our only hope is American law holding him up until he eventually leaves office.

3 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

A LOT more than you and the press admit, he doesn't win all his battles but he's getting richer and he is president... 

Well it's true I rely a lot on the press since he stopped sending me personal updates, but given the mess he's made of travel bans, and Obamacare repeal, and the Wall and quite possibly tax reform, being President and getting richer might be all he has.  I hope his riches aren't coming through nefarious means. 

4 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

A LOT more than you and the press admit, he doesn't win all his battles but he's getting richer and he is president... 

Funny that you think public service is all about getting richer. Such is the sad state of democracy in western nations, the sheep are duped into thinking they have some sort of say, and then they further dupe themselves.

19 hours ago, hot enough said:

Funny that you think public service is all about getting richer. Such is the sad state of democracy in western nations, the sheep are duped into thinking they have some sort of say, and then they further dupe themselves.

That's not what I meant, his personal goals are building wealth and power, to that end he's an overwhelming success. 

20 hours ago, bcsapper said:

Well it's true I rely a lot on the press since he stopped sending me personal updates, but given the mess he's made of travel bans, and Obamacare repeal, and the Wall and quite possibly tax reform, being President and getting richer might be all he has.  I hope his riches aren't coming through nefarious means. 

People like yourself and the vast majority of the press refuse to see his successes through your pure hatred of him. I'm not saying his presidential run so far has been an overwhelming success. The man is the biggest joke in US history but he's making MSM and his neysayers look like a bunch of middle school kids. There is simply no unbiased reporting or opinions on this guy or what he achieves (although the press is starting to back down a bit).

PS, I'm not a fan of him either but I am mature enough to see he's achieved many of the goals he's set for himself. 

54 minutes ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

That's not what I meant, his personal goals are building wealth and power, to that end he's an overwhelming success. 

He is a dishonest crook in all his business dealings. 

Trump, the Bad, Bad Businessman - The New York Times

Aug 5, 2016 - In reality, Mr. Trump was a walking disaster as a businessman for much of his life. This is not just my opinion. Warren Buffett said as much this ...

Businessmen Against Trump - The Atlantic

Jul 13, 2015 - I admire Mitt Romney as a businessman. I loathe Donald Trump as a shyster dishonestdeal huckster. He deserves no respect in the business ...

Trump has been a reckless, dishonest businessman | Leader ...

www.leaderpub.com/2016/07/07/trump-has-been-a-reckless-dishonest-businessman/
Jul 7, 2016 - Donald Trump has been a reckless, dishonest businessman. His economic policies would be a disaster for our country. Please remember ...

Bad Businessman | The Briefing - YouTube

Jun 21, 2016 - Uploaded by The Briefing
Bad Businessman | The Briefing. The Briefing ... Hillary Clinton: "Donald Trumpis running a cynical campaign ...

Donald Trump's Business Record -- He Bullied Ordinary Citizens ...

www.nationalreview.com/.../donald-trumps-business-record-he-bullied-ordinary-citiz...
Feb 1, 2016 - Donald J. Trump's vaunted “business” career is marked less by innovative, hard-charging business acumen, and more by good old-fashioned ...

Criticism Of Donald Trump, The Businessman: 'You Didn't Build That ...

Nov 1, 2015 - Criticism of Donald Trump the businessman is overdone, confused, and rather left wing.

Donald Trump Wins Through Intimidation - Forbes

Aug 7, 2015 - Trump's leadership strategy is ill-suited to politics. ... Basically, Ringer says, everyone else is dishonest. Because people are insecure, they fear ...

The Many Business Failures of Donald Trump | Rolling Stone

www.rollingstone.com/politics/.../the-many-business-failures-of-donald-trump-20110...
May 11, 2011 - When they get around to talking about Trump's presidential aspirations, the Donald barks, 'We need a businessman, and I've been successful.

2 hours ago, Thinkinoutsidethebox said:

People like yourself and the vast majority of the press refuse to see his successes through your pure hatred of him. I'm not saying his presidential run so far has been an overwhelming success. The man is the biggest joke in US history but he's making MSM and his neysayers look like a bunch of middle school kids. There is simply no unbiased reporting or opinions on this guy or what he achieves (although the press is starting to back down a bit).

PS, I'm not a fan of him either but I am mature enough to see he's achieved many of the goals he's set for himself. 

I don't hate him.  I think he's hilarious.  I was stunned to see him get to the White House, I admit.  What have been his successes so far?  I don't follow him with a microscope, it's true...

54 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

I don't hate him.  I think he's hilarious.  I was stunned to see him get to the White House, I admit.  What have been his successes so far?  I don't follow him with a microscope, it's true...

Dow Jones Industrial Average
INDEXDJX: .DJI - Sep 29, 4:37 PM EDT
22,405.09 ^^^ 23.89 (0.11%)
Edited by DogOnPorch

28 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:
Dow Jones Industrial Average
INDEXDJX: .DJI - Sep 29, 4:37 PM EDT
22,405.09 ^^^ 23.89 (0.11%)

I have to be honest.  I don't know if a 0.11% increase is good or bad.  Economics has always been a blind dead end for me. 

3 hours ago, bcsapper said:

1) Removed the United States from the "globalist" Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal

2) Canceled Obama era regulations for coal mining

3) Initiated the re-negotiation of NAFTA with Canada and Mexico

4) Approved Keystone XL pipeline

5) Nominated Supreme Court justice....confirmed by Senate

6) Started withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement

7) Reduced illegal border crossings and federal funding to "sanctuary cities"; illegals running to Canada

8) Implemented travel ban as permitted/restricted by courts

9) Increased military actions against ISIS; nudged NATO deadbeats to spend more on defense

10) Stock markets at all time highs (see above), unemployment reduced to lows

President Trump has so far failed to achieve his stated domestic policy objectives for the ACA (Obamacare),  tax reform, enhanced border wall, and DACA deportations (which has been punted to Congress where it belongs).

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

On 9/30/2017 at 7:35 AM, hot enough said:

He is a dishonest crook in all his business dealings. 

Trump, the Bad, Bad Businessman - The New York Times

Aug 5, 2016 - In reality, Mr. Trump was a walking disaster as a businessman for much of his life. This is not just my opinion. Warren Buffett said as much this ...

Businessmen Against Trump - The Atlantic

Jul 13, 2015 - I admire Mitt Romney as a businessman. I loathe Donald Trump as a shyster dishonestdeal huckster. He deserves no respect in the business ...

Trump has been a reckless, dishonest businessman | Leader ...

www.leaderpub.com/2016/07/07/trump-has-been-a-reckless-dishonest-businessman/
Jul 7, 2016 - Donald Trump has been a reckless, dishonest businessman. His economic policies would be a disaster for our country. Please remember ...

Bad Businessman | The Briefing - YouTube

Jun 21, 2016 - Uploaded by The Briefing
Bad Businessman | The Briefing. The Briefing ... Hillary Clinton: "Donald Trumpis running a cynical campaign ...

Donald Trump's Business Record -- He Bullied Ordinary Citizens ...

www.nationalreview.com/.../donald-trumps-business-record-he-bullied-ordinary-citiz...
Feb 1, 2016 - Donald J. Trump's vaunted “business” career is marked less by innovative, hard-charging business acumen, and more by good old-fashioned ...

Criticism Of Donald Trump, The Businessman: 'You Didn't Build That ...

Nov 1, 2015 - Criticism of Donald Trump the businessman is overdone, confused, and rather left wing.

Donald Trump Wins Through Intimidation - Forbes

Aug 7, 2015 - Trump's leadership strategy is ill-suited to politics. ... Basically, Ringer says, everyone else is dishonest. Because people are insecure, they fear ...

The Many Business Failures of Donald Trump | Rolling Stone

www.rollingstone.com/politics/.../the-many-business-failures-of-donald-trump-20110...
May 11, 2011 - When they get around to talking about Trump's presidential aspirations, the Donald barks, 'We need a businessman, and I've been successful.

I didn't say he wasn't a crook or a bully, he also isn't running his empire or the US from a prison cell...

He will use as many of the tactics you've listed above he can get away with to achieve his new NAFTA agreement and we are going to pay for it, I think Canada is going to get hit harder than Mexico because we have have a woman in charge of our portion (we all know Trump's dealings with women) and Trudeau is a pushover. 

Trump couldn't care less about the majority of demands Canada has on our side of the negotiations (pay equity, native rights, dispute resolution, the environment etc), he will be there to benefit the US and all he sees are dollars and cents and what it's going to take to put Americans to work. The ironic thing about this he will probably do more for some of what Canada wants if he gets his way then if he signs the agreement as it sits now.

• 3 weeks later...

Trump has very little to do with NAFTA.

It comes down to are mega-national companies and businesses through governors,  senators and congressmen/women on lobbying for their interests not what Trump wants. 

Trump is basically a figure head who farts loudly at specific times thinking farting is an effective way into pressuring people into doing his bidding. All its done is have people clear the room and leave him isolated.

He's farted so many times now no one is in the same room as him.

Politics is about networking,. Trump is about shock farting-he farts to get attention. In so doing he alienates and with no network, with no allies, he can not get a thing done.

Bush gave a speech this week. Make no mistake. It was written by the big wigs in the Republican party warning Trump to shut the phack up. The Republicans realize they are all going to lose their seats and that Trump is  in self destruct alienating his best allies.

76% of Canada's economy is dependent on the US. If Trump blows up NAFTA all that happens is Canada will be forced to look elsewhere for trade and it should anyways. Its unacceptable 76% of our economy is US captive. It makes us a colony. We need o increase trade with the EU, Britain leaving the EU, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, South America. We can and should set up free trade deals with other countries just as we did with Chile.

Canada should have in my opinion set up a joint aero industry program with SAAB in Sweden and explore military, air and shipping agreements with France, Britain, Holland, Sweden. Why we do not have a free trade deal with Argentina and Brazil is anyone's guess. We should have free trade deals with South Korea, Israel,  India and Japan.

We are lazy. We are lazy because US Senators, congressmen and women and Governors not Trump set up mutually beneficial relationships with us. If Trump wants to sabotage that so be it.

I personally think he's just a pathetic fool who farts and the senators, governors, congress reps and mega nationals in the US will not allow NAFTA to be blown up. This notion of isolationism Trump has may be worked in the 1920's but not today where the internet has made borders an anachronism to business and a hinderance.

Trump is a sad self destructing toad on his way out. He's been given one final Republican warning via the Bush speech. Nefore NAFTA blows up or Korea or Iran blows up the Republicans will oust him.

My prediction is in the next two years the Donald has a heart attack or a stroke and dies of natural causes.

Or he's removed by a sex scandal similar to Harvey Weinstein. These days taking down a loud farting baboon is not hard. No one thought Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein were capable of being brought down. Donald is easier to take down. He has no inner network protecting him and dependent on him. Trump's power comes from being able to use his powers to influence decisions ifavour of businesses. He's not doing that.  He in fact has a lot of contempt for big businesses because he himself is no businessman. He compensates trying to act like he was and still is one. He was and remains a salesman.

Someone who stands up in Peurto Rico and describes it as an island surrounded by big water is in no position to do anything. He's a pathetic idiot whose retardation can no longer be covered up..

Trudeau and his minions are now in a full on panic over NAFTA.   They see Trump as an economic existential threat to Canada's comfy arrangement with the world's largest economy.    Even Mexico has better post-NAFTA options than Canada.

How many Canadian trade reps can fit in an airliner ?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/u-s-not-dictatorship-time-for-congress-to-commit-on-nafta-liberal-mp-1.4366906

Edited by bush_cheney2004