http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/north-korea-commons-1.4289866

U.S. not obliged to defend Canada in event of North Korean missile attack, MPs told

"The extent of the U.S. policy is not to defend Canada," said St-Amand, who is the deputy commander of the North American Aerospace Defence Command, which is responsible for defending the skies and maritime approaches to North America. "That's the fact I can bring to the table."

Surprised that this didn't get more press.  The meaning I got from it is that the US may break a treaty like NATO which it itself engineered.  Maybe so, but why is this person telling parliament this and why isn't there more discussion ?

I can't imagine a situation where any missile threatening Canada isn't doing so incidentally on its way to the US.  They will have enough on their minds.

I would hope they think of us when they wipe out whatever country launched them in the first place.

12 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Perhaps because if they launch a missile from NK towards continental USA, it will cross over Canada on its way. The US would try to destroy the missile before it reaches its target. It might detonate over Canada.

It would still be very high though, wouldn't it?  Still better than having it land on New York.  And then there's the wiping out to look forward to.

Edited by bcsapper

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

I can't imagine a situation where any missile threatening Canada isn't doing so incidentally on its way to the US.  They will have enough on their minds.

I would hope they think of us when they wipe out whatever country launched them in the first place.

You mean declaring "And this one is for Canada!" as they drop the MOAB on the offender?   

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/north-korea-commons-1.4289866

U.S. not obliged to defend Canada in event of North Korean missile attack, MPs told

Surprised that this didn't get more press.  The meaning I got from it is that the US may break a treaty like NATO which it itself engineered.  Maybe so, but why is this person telling parliament this and why isn't there more discussion ?

Conservative defence critic James Bezan said he was shocked to hear that North Korea doesn't consider Canada a potential enemy, particularly in light of the country's participation in the Korean War between 1950-53.

I guess I'd be a little miffed too given the political investment his party made when repeatedly reminding Canadians that Canada sticks by its biggest ally in the War On Terror no matter what.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Canada isn't obliged to stop missile attacks on the U.S. either.

Couldn't do so even if Canada wanted to.

No we couldn't...and I for one recall Canada REJECTING missile defense when it was being developed by the US/Israel. 

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Indeed...like immigrants and refugees, Trudeau welcomes all missiles with open arms just to spite those EVIL 'muricans.

Not to mention The Soda Stream Effect, me thinks....at least in part.

Israel...also very, very, very...you know...evil.

Wouldn't want to offend the offend-able.

On 9/17/2017 at 7:52 AM, Altai said:

Because Canada is a British satellite and US and Britain hates each other.

No, not true.  Canada is an independent country and has been for a long time.  We share the same Queen and belong to the Commonwealth of Nations.  But we are completely independent.

Edited by blackbird

58 minutes ago, blackbird said:

No, not true.  Canada is an independent country and has been for a long time.  We share the same Queen and belong to the Commonwealth of Nations.  But we are completely independent.

This is just a story told by granmas to make you Canadians sleep. You are directly ruled by British Loyal family as many other British colonies. There is a governor assigned by Queen in Canada. Did you ever think about it ? What is the duty of a governor assigned by Britain in Canada ? His duty is to shape and guide Canadian politics according to British interests. 

1 hour ago, Altai said:

This is just a story told by granmas to make you Canadians sleep. You are directly ruled by British Loyal family as many other British colonies. There is a governor assigned by Queen in Canada. Did you ever think about it ? What is the duty of a governor assigned by Britain in Canada ? His duty is to shape and guide Canadian politics according to British interests. 

Actually the British royal family has nothing to do with governing Canada.  Neither does the governor general in Canada.  He is not involved in the political process.   Canadians have different political parties and elect the members of parliament.  The party that gets the most members of parliament elected becomes the government of Canada.  The governor general is chosen by the Prime MInister who was chosen by his party and elected to be a member of parliament.   The governor general is mainly an official representative of the Queen but was not chosen by the Queen.  His function is to attend official ceremonies, give out the Order of Canada awards in a little ceremony.  But he has nothing to do with the executive branch of government which introduces laws in Parliament which must be passed by a majority of the 338 members of Parliament.  The governor general is more of a figurehead.  The only time he does something to do with the government is if the government is defeated and falls.  Then he can call an election or if there are enough members of the opposition parties, he can appoint an interim government to govern.  But he never makes laws.  We know this because we have studied it for years and follow what the governor general does.  Is is sometimes interviewed on the news.  I was fortunate to have met three prime ministers and met one of them twice.  Before he became PM, he came to our town to campaign, I was fortunate to have lunch with him and about eight people and talk with him for about half an hour.  I am just an ordinary person; not a politician. That was a a number of years ago.  That was a big blessing.   Canada became mainly independent from Britain in Confederation which we celebrate this year as it is the 150th anniversary since 1867.  Canada became more independent over the years until now we are completely independent.

Edited by blackbird

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Actually the British royal family has nothing to do with governing Canada.  Neither does the governor general in Canada.  He is not involved in the political process.   Canadians have different political parties and elect the members of parliament.  The party that gets the most members of parliament elected becomes the government of Canada.  The governor general is chosen by the Prime MInister who was chosen by his party and elected to be a member of parliament.   The governor general is mainly an official representative of the Queen but was not chosen by the Queen.  His function is to attend official ceremonies, give out the Order of Canada awards in a little ceremony.  But he has nothing to do with the executive branch of government which introduces laws in Parliament which must be passed by a majority of the 338 members of Parliament.  The governor general is more of a figurehead.  The only time he does something to do with the government is if the government is defeated and falls.  Then he can call an election or if there are enough members of the opposition parties, he can appoint an interim government to govern.  But he never makes laws.  We know this because we have studied it for years and follow what the governor general does.  Is is sometimes interviewed on the news.  I was fortunate to have met three prime ministers and met one of them twice.  Before he became PM, he came to our town to campaign, I was fortunate to have lunch with him and about eight people and talk with him for about half an hour.  I am just an ordinary person; not a politician. That was a a number of years ago.  That was a big blessing.   Canada became mainly independent from Britain in Confederation which we celebrate this year as it is the 150th anniversary since 1867.  Canada became more independent over the years until now we are completely independent.

As I said before in another topic. Democracy is also a kind of dictatorship. You are choosing the candidates which were also previously determined by Royal Family. So does not matter which one you choose. The same goes for Canadian governor too, they are choosen by Queen and Prime Minister is choosing one of them which is also determined by Queen. Does not matter which one he choose. Governor generals has almost all the powers Prime Minister or Parliament has. He dont have to use his powers most of the time because Canadian officials obeys Royal Family most of the time. A phone talk would be enough. 

12 minutes ago, Altai said:

As I said before in another topic. Democracy is also a kind of dictatorship. You are choosing the candidates which were also previously determined by Royal Family. So does not matter which one you choose. The same goes for Canadian governor too, they are choosen by Queen and Prime Minister is choosing one of them which is also determined by Queen. Does not matter which one he choose. Governor generals has almost all the powers Prime Minister or Parliament has. He dont have to use his powers most of the time because Canadian officials obeys Royal Family most of the time. A phone talk would be enough. 

No.  I'm afraid you have a misunderstanding of how our system in Canada works.  It's not a dictatorship at all.  You would have to do some studying and talk to people to see how it works here.  I was involved in a political party in a local electoral district or riding.  Each party in an electoral district has annual meetings where they elect their board of directors and executive.  Anyone who wishes may put his name forward to become a candidate for a party in that district.  Then the party members choose which contender they wish to be their candidate.  It is done by having a campaign and then an election in that district.  Then when a general election is held, each party's candidate runs to be the member of parliament for that district. There are 338 electoral districts in Canada and 338 members must be elected to fill the seats in Parliament.  It is an involved process that is governed by a department of government called Elections Canada.  There are certain rules about financing parties, riding (district) associations, and campaigns that must be followed.  It is done democratically by the Elections Canada laws.  It has nothing to do with Britain which is far away on the other side of the ocean and has no interest in our elections and how we choose our government.

Edited by blackbird