What a stupid, stupid, stupid debate.  Flawed logic stacked on top of false information, all based on faulty premises.

First off, North Korea has no reason to attack Canada.  Unlike the US, we don't pose a threat to them and never have.

Second, ballistic missile defence is expensive to build and cheap to overwhelm.  It didn't work in the 80s when Ronnie Raygun was trying to put it into space and it won't work now.  If you really think that North Korea is a threat to Canada, you should be lobbying the government for Canada to build it's own nuclear arsenal and ICBMs.  Mutually assured destruction is madness from a standpoint of humanity but at least it has logic in terms of a country's selfish interests.

Finally, almost nobody asks why an impoverished country is isolating itself from the rest of the world by spending its limited resources on nuclear weapons.  The answer is actually pretty simple.  The NK leadership has learned lessons from observing how the US treated Noriega, Saddam and countless other regimes it didn't like.  It learned that the only way to survive is to have nukes.  And not to show any weakness in the face of international threats.

So, the people who think that we need to beg the US to save us from the threat, as usual, have it 100% backwards.  To the extent the threat exists, the US (helped by other western countries) created it.

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

No.  I'm afraid you have a misunderstanding of how our system in Canada works.  It's not a dictatorship at all.  You would have to do some studying and talk to people to see how it works here.  I was involved in a political party in a local electoral district or riding.  Each party in an electoral district has annual meetings where they elect their board of directors and executive.  Anyone who wishes may put his name forward to become a candidate for a party in that district.  Then the party members choose which contender they wish to be their candidate.  It is done by having a campaign and then an election in that district.  Then when a general election is held, each party's candidate runs to be the member of parliament for that district. There are 338 electoral districts in Canada and 338 members must be elected to fill the seats in Parliament.  It is an involved process that is governed by a department of government called Elections Canada.  There are certain rules about financing parties, riding (district) associations, and campaigns that must be followed.  It is done democratically by the Elections Canada laws.  It has nothing to do with Britain which is far away on the other side of the ocean and has no interest in our elections and how we choose our government.

I am afraid you dont want to face with facts and want to believe in these stories forever. Please forget all these story parts that you are chosing someones. 

Why symbolic persons has such huge powers ? They should not have powers, even they should not exist. 

When the last Canadian governor was  "chosen" by Canadian PM, he went to Britain to take approval from the Queen. So Queen allowed PM to choose the person which was also determined by Queen before. Such a stupid story :lol: but you still dont want to face with it.

Edited by Altai

1 hour ago, Altai said:

I am afraid you dont want to face with facts and want to believe in these stories forever. Please forget all these story parts that you are chosing someones. 

Why symbolic persons has such huge powers ? They should not have powers, even they should not exist. 

When the last Canadian governor was  "chosen" by Canadian PM, he went to Britain to take approval from the Queen. So Queen allowed PM to choose the person which was also determined by Queen before. Such a stupid story :lol: but you still dont want to face with it.

I have been involved in watching everything for years and I can tell you nothing is decided or chosen from Britain.  The Governor General goes to England to be sworn in.  That's all.  Yes he is chosen by PM.  It is because the Queen is still the Queen of Canada.  We have what is called a Constitutional monarchy.  It means we have a Queen as head of state and a Governor General who represents the Queen in Canada.  We also have a Constitution which gives us all the rights to self-government.  The Queen is only a figurehead.  She visits Canada occasionally and may perform a ceremony.  But that's about all she does with Canada.   The system with a governor general and a Queen is a good one because the Armed Forces and RCM Police swear allegiance to the Queen and the people largely support the Queen.  This means it would be very difficult for someone to come in and take over the government like a dictator.    I am not criticizing other systems such as republics, but we are satisfied with our system.

Edited by blackbird

7 hours ago, blackbird said:

I have been involved in watching everything for years and I can tell you nothing is decided or chosen from Britain.  The Governor General goes to England to be sworn in.  That's all.  Yes he is chosen by PM.  It is because the Queen is still the Queen of Canada.  We have what is called a Constitutional monarchy.  It means we have a Queen as head of state and a Governor General who represents the Queen in Canada.  We also have a Constitution which gives us all the rights to self-government.  The Queen is only a figurehead.  She visits Canada occasionally and may perform a ceremony.  But that's about all she does with Canada.   The system with a governor general and a Queen is a good one because the Armed Forces and RCM Police swear allegiance to the Queen and the people largely support the Queen.  This means it would be very difficult for someone to come in and take over the government like a dictator.    I am not criticizing other systems such as republics, but we are satisfied with our system.

You dont want to see, do you think they will do these things openly in front of all the people ? I am asking a simple question, why these "figureheads" has such huge authorization powers ? Can you guarantee me that PM or other parliamentarians are not calling Queen or her represantives before making a decision ? Are you making a public vote for anything ? Ofcourse NO. So statesmen are making decisions for you. You are just voting to decide whom to be a statesmen and all of candidates are also pre-determined by Queen. So if you dont obey Queen, you will probably crash with your car in a tunnel or your plane will have some technical failures at 30.000 feet. 

• Haha 1