Do we still have moderation?

betsy

Yeah....it seemed to have improved a great deal here with lightening up on moderation.

However, when someone starts doing personal attacks, moderation would be helpful, otherwise the board will spiral downhill.

To have a sense that there is still moderation is helpful.  The other forum posts a "warning sign" in the thread, including what the warning is all about (personal attack, thread drift, etc.)  To persist will earn a private message from the mod, along with a warning to stop. 

Edited by betsy

1 hour ago, The_Squid said:

I used to drink in moderation....   but I got rid of that a while ago!

Hey that gives me an idea. I'm gonna open a bar called "moderation". Then I'll hang a flashing neon sign out front saying "drink in moderation"  with an arrow pointing to the door. What d'ya think?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Omni said:

Hey that gives me an idea. I'm gonna open a bar called "moderation". Then I'll hang a flashing neon sign out front saying "drink in moderation"  with an arrow pointing to the door. What d'ya think?

You'd need an area called "excess" if I'm going to frequent it.  I could drink to that...

On 7/9/2017 at 5:20 PM, betsy said:

Do we still have moderation?

Yes. 

I'm just wondering if mods are still responding to reports. 

Yes. 

On 7/10/2017 at 7:28 PM, capricorn said:

It's summer, perhaps the mods have gone fishing. Maybe the hammer will fall more heavily come September.

My whelp caught more fish (by jigging a rubber lure) last week than I have ever caught in my life. 

On 7/15/2017 at 10:41 AM, Charles Anthony said:

Yes. 

Yes. 

Is it possible to have a reported out-of-topic comment, or personal attack to be removed?  

Trolling comment that are out-of-topic,  or that aims to derail the discussion, or personal attack should be removed.  Leaving them posted on the board does not discourage those behaviours.  Just my 2 cents.

Edited by betsy

I'm really starting to enjoy this whole thing...

Go back (not that long ago) and check the thread that is all bitching about moderation and read it.  Posters complained that moderators were using too heavy a hand when giving out suspensions.  Then the whining continued that moderators were removing "improper" posts and comments without warning.  Then the ever-present sniveling about moderators not having a rock solid definition of "trolling".

Then what happens?  Moderators take a new approach - they are hands off except for extreme cases on the board....and posters bitch and whine about "no moderation" and "not taking down bad posts" and "not handing out suspensions to trolls".  Well, which is it people?  What exactly do you want on MLW?  Moderation?  No moderation?  Suspensions?  Free reign to post whatever?  Make up your friggin minds for once.

I happen to think the board is regulating itself just fine.  "Trolls" are being sniped back at a little and then ignored by everyone for the most part.  Isn't that what everyone was crying for in the first place - to do whatever is within the rules and not have The Hands of Greg come smashing down?

Grow up or go home.

/rant

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong. I like the lack of moderation.

However,  I  think it hurts the board  when the post of someone bent on derailing a topic, is allowed to clutter the thread.  It's up to the moderator to judge whether a post has to be removed, or moved where appropriate.  

What reader won't get fed up sifting and wading through pages of clutters? Especially when a poster keeps bringing up the same issue everywhere!  How is this going to attract any new members?

That's what they do in busy, high-traffic  forums! 

They don't let loose "children" to have their fit however they please all over the board......mods  guard the board so it won't eventually become dead!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 11:52 AM, betsy said:

Don't get me wrong. I like the lack of moderation.

However,  I  think it hurts the board  when the post of someone bent on derailing a topic, is allowed to clutter the thread.  It's up to the moderator to judge whether a post has to be removed, or moved where appropriate. ..............

They don't let loose "children" to have their fit however they please all over the board......mods  guard the board so it won't eventually become dead!

I like it too for the most part but I do agree about someone continually cluttering threads with nutwing conspiracy theories but the worst part is the name calling.   I don't know why people give him the time of day or respond to anything.   Ignore is best IMO.

• Like 2