Do we still have moderation?

betsy

If a poster is "cluttering" threads with, say, conspiracy theories - you know Charles would just tell you to "ignore and report".  For the longer term members, think back on your time here....there have been so many people like this on here over the years that you can't count them all....

Lictor666 - everything was "why whites are superior"

Norman Chateau - everything was "Harper is evil"

The "Mohawk Warrior" guy - everything was "Mohawks of Six Nations will take back their land"

MikeDavid (and all of his subsequent incarnations) - everything was "don't Tax Me" and "homosexuals are what's wrong with this country"

Me! - everything is "Alberta rocks - everything else sucks, especially Notley and Trudeau"

I know the best way to "deal with" posters like this are to completely ignore them, but even if everyone did, they would just come back in one form or another.  It can be too much fun poking the bear in these cases - I just try not to do it too much.  And are these people really breaking any forum rules (any more than the rest of us)?  If someone calls a past US politician a war criminal, is that technically incorrect?  Imagine if you were living in the country where the "war action" took place - maybe they DO refer to that person as a war criminal.

• Like 1

Well with the push back I got from that thread about Israel terror tourism I got so much hatred from Rue, when I reported Rue, Mike H essentially sanctioned Rue's trolling and bitching and slandering. That is NOT moderation. He admittedly WON'T take action. So fuck him.

I report, moderation ignores.   THAT's how it is around here.

Well, there's still some moderation.  I just got a warning point for giving a guy a link because he forgot to put it in his post.  Thought I was doing the right thing...   Maybe we should have a contest to see who can get the most warning points.   After all, we have been told they are meaningless, just ignore them. 

Edited by scribblet

8 minutes ago, scribblet said:

Well, there's still some moderation.  I just got a warning point for giving a guy a link because he forgot to put it in his post.  Thought I was doing the right thing...   Maybe we should have a contest to see who can get the most warning points.   After all, we have been told they are meaningless, just ignore them. 

That's very asinine, that you get shit for trying to help.

Just now, scribblet said:

No wonder people are leaving the forum.  I remember how active and fairly well balanced it was many years ago.

You and I know that has not been the case for a few years now. And in light of Mike H's stance in another thread where I got raked over the coals, for posting something Israel, I am automatically lumped in with the Jew haters. Mike H is actually perpetuating the problem by defending Rue's slandering asshattery while saying 'ya know those jew haters are gonna hate ''...  That's counter productive as a 'facilitator' , which he is not anymore. He is an instigator. Put someone else in charge.

But I'll get banned or a warning point  for calling HIM out on that. I'll post screenshots when that happens.

2 minutes ago, scribblet said:

I found it weird that a moderator was actually trolling a poster, I don't think I've seen such weird moderating anywhere else.   

It's not common, well I would hope not. Another forum I am actively on, trolls are taken care of instantly and with extreme prejudice. I don't agree with everything that is posted, but the membership there is at least respectful regardless of beliefs.

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

It's not common, well I would hope not. Another forum I am actively on, trolls are taken care of instantly and with extreme prejudice. I don't agree with everything that is posted, but the membership there is at least respectful regardless of beliefs.

I'm surprised that a member here can call another member a 'sorely disjointed mess of claptrap'   Can't post a link for someone but can sure call names...

16 hours ago, GostHacked said:

when I reported Rue, Mike H essentially sanctioned Rue's trolling and bitching and slandering

The way I read that exchange (you and Michael) was that he wasn't responsible for moderating that particular section of the forum.  My guess is that the team has split up responsibilities for moderation (like in other forums I've been in).  If I had to take a completely uneducated guess (based on other forum policies), a moderator can only post as a member on sections of the forum that they do not moderate themselves.  I actually have always liked that idea as it keeps them from posting with any bias when involved in a thread.

Of course, like normal, I'm probably wrong.

15 hours ago, scribblet said:

I'm surprised that a member here can call another member a 'sorely disjointed mess of claptrap

I'm absolutely fine with the name calling, etc as long as it's evenly enforced.  Don't much care what the rules are as long as they apply to everyone the same way.  This place was getting way, way too politically correct for a long time.  Glad to see a little "life" being brought back.

1 minute ago, Hydraboss said:

I'm absolutely fine with the name calling, etc as long as it's evenly enforced.  Don't much care what the rules are as long as they apply to everyone the same way.  This place was getting way, way too politically correct for a long time.  Glad to see a little "life" being brought back.

The thing is I would take to task your position, and not you personally unless you did that first.  The only reason to go after a person is to take part in trolling and thread derailing and public slandering of MLW members.  We see it way to often and by the same people.

BUT when you call that out, you are the one that will most likely feel the repercussions.  Seems .. odd does it not?

'Person A' - You are a dick

'Person B' - I am reporting you

Moderation bans or gives warning point to Person B.  

• Like 1

Yup, that's stupid alright.

What I mean is when there's banter going on in a thread:

A - "Trudeau is good for the country and all Canadians stand 100% behind him!"

B - "FFS, quit being an idiot - the guy is a fiscal nightmare."

The "idiot" comment being reported and whined about is where I take issue.  Are people really that frickin sensitive?  Maybe they need to go back in their safe space and hide if that's the case.

16 hours ago, GostHacked said:

And in light of Mike H's stance in another thread where I got raked over the coals, for posting something Israel, I am automatically lumped in with the Jew haters. Mike H is actually perpetuating the problem by defending Rue's slandering asshattery while saying 'ya know those jew haters are gonna hate ''...  That's counter productive as a 'facilitator' , which he is not anymore. He is an instigator. Put someone else in charge.

But I'll get banned or a warning point  for calling HIM out on that. I'll post screenshots when that happens.

As I explained, I am not the moderator here.  Just report it and Charles will review.

And I did not lump you in with anything, you took that comment onto yourself of your own accord.

16 hours ago, scribblet said:

I found it weird that a moderator was actually trolling a poster, I don't think I've seen such weird moderating anywhere else.   

As I said, I called out the general trend of anti-Semites attacking Israel under cover of human rights issues.  GH put his hand up and basically said I was talking about him.  How this could constitute 'trolling' is a mystery to me.  But please go ahead and report the posts in question and Charles can look at it.

37 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

As I said, I called out the general trend of anti-Semites attacking Israel under cover of human rights issues.  GH put his hand up and basically said I was talking about him.  How this could constitute 'trolling' is a mystery to me.  But please go ahead and report the posts in question and Charles can look at it.

In this case you are calling me out because I made the OP. Or did that slip by you?  And you are calling me (along with others) by clearly backing Rue on that matter and I feel very insulted by that fact.

It's like continually calling you a fag when you are not one.

Edited by GostHacked

17 minutes ago, GostHacked said:

In this case you are calling me out because I made the OP. Or did that slip by you? 

That wasn't my intention.  I specifically was thinking about the 'Zionist media' trope.  That said, Rue has responded to the OP with his comments so you should engage with him and discuss your intentions, clarify your comments etc.  

56 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I was referring to your calling a thread boring

Just now, scribblet said:

I was referring to your calling a thread boring

I don't agree that that is trolling at all, as it's speaking to the content of the discussion.  I don't remember the thread clearly, but I think Argus started it.  I respect Argus' role here and think he can come up with better topics for discussion is all.  I'm pretty sure Argus and I are pretty clear on where we stand, and I doubt I'm even capable of raising his ire at this point.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

That wasn't my intention.  I specifically was thinking about the 'Zionist media' trope.  That said, Rue has responded to the OP with his comments so you should engage with him and discuss your intentions, clarify your comments etc.  

Well, when you posted and said things like 'yeah those damn anti-semites and their agenda', you clearly put yourself in the line of fire to protect Rue. So I have taken him to task, but you got your own comments in the way and backed him up. That's kind of the problem when I address another persons comments as completely abrasive and you sanction that abrasive behaviour. As you said you won't take action on reported posts. So what is the point of having you as a 'facilitator'.

1 minute ago, GostHacked said:

1) Well, when you posted and said things like 'yeah those damn anti-semites and their agenda', you clearly put yourself in the line of fire to protect Rue.

2) So I have taken him to task, but you got your own comments in the way and backed him up. That's kind of the problem when I address another persons comments as completely abrasive and you sanction that abrasive behaviour.

3) As you said you won't take action on reported posts. So what is the point of having you as a 'facilitator'.

1) I'm unfamiliar with the concept of 'protect'.  I agree/disagree with posters on various things.  That's it.

2) I don't sanction anything any more than you do.  I have repeatedly demarcated myself from the moderation and you keep going back to that.

3) Facilitators don't act on posts.  Moderators do.

If you can just focus on discussion and follow the report & ignore process then I'm sure the moderator will give you due attention.