Compensating Khadr

9 hours ago, cannuck said:

Yes, his rights as a citizen were violated, I do not contest that.  What I contest is that the government and the courts had no business in rewarding him to any extent beyond being allowed the incredible privilege and good fortune to remain in Canada as a free man.

If there are no consequences for our governments violating the rights of ANY citizen, then none of us have any enforcable rights.

They don't get to pick and choose which Canadians' rights will be respected. 

10 minutes ago, cannuck said:

You don't think Omar did anything wrong???????   WOW!!!!

That's quite the non sequiter.

And irrelevant since he was a child under the control of adults who threatened him with death if he didn't do what he was told.

1 minute ago, jacee said:

If there are no consequences for our governments violating the rights of ANY citizen, then none of us have any enforcable rights.

They don't get to pick and choose which Canadians' rights will be respected. 

Yes, you got that right.   Problem is: our governments do exactly that:  choose which person's "rights" make the best political hay to either support or suppress.  You just had to live through the experience of watching Ralph Goodale and our courts lock up a Canadian farmer for the egregious crime of legally selling his own crop to fully appreciate what I mean, and then be told daily that he could walk out of his cell at any time if he would just declare his separation from Farmers For Justice.

Goodale and the little Trudeau did this once more by supporting Khadr - except this time they pissed off 71% of the entire country.

Just now, cannuck said:

Yes, you got that right.   Problem is: our governments do exactly that:  choose which person's "rights" make the best political hay to either support or suppress.  You just had to live through the experience of watching Ralph Goodale and our courts lock up a Canadian farmer for the egregious crime of legally selling his own crop to fully appreciate what I mean, and then be told daily that he could walk out of his cell at any time if he would just declare his separation from Farmers For Justice.

Goodale and the little Trudeau did this once more by supporting Khadr - except this time they pissed off 71% of the entire country.

And isn't that convenient for the Conservative party who push the lie that Khadr is being rewarded for being a terrorist instead of the truth ... Which is that Canada - led by Chretien and then Harper - screwed up, and now we're paying that piper.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Canadians do protest by breaking laws in order to change laws.

But you are wandering into derailing territory now. This thread isn't about the Wheat Board.

2 minutes ago, jacee said:

And irrelevant since he was a child under the control of adults who threatened him with death if he didn't do what he was told.

Can tell you have probably had NO exposure to young offenders either before or in those years right after their coming of age.

Secondly:  to a jihadist, death is the reward, not the punishment.  So you are saying it was one thing for him to do what he did because he should have feared death, but what he was trained and compelled to do was 100% likely to result in his death and that was obviously NOT a deterrent to his criminal activity.

In my interesting times, I have had the tremendous privilege and pleasure of getting to know many Vietnamese refugees who came to Canada three + decades ago.  A child raised under war conditions does not mature at the same rate that a molly-coddled suburbanite who's greatest fear is losing his cell phone text privileges for a day.  It was common practice for Vietnamese boys EXACTLY at the age of Omar to amputate their own trigger finger to avoid conscription and thus being forced to  kill their countrymen.  IF Khadr had any moral compass at all, he probably had many opportunities to escape from his situation, but he did not.  He instead by all reports enthusiastically went forward to potentially kill his countrymen and fellow citizens. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Can tell you have probably had NO exposure to young offenders either before or in those years right after their coming of age.

Secondly:  to a jihadist, death is the reward, not the punishment.  So you are saying it was one thing for him to do what he did because he should have feared death, but what he was trained and compelled to do was 100% likely to result in his death and that was obviously NOT a deterrent to his criminal activity.

In my interesting times, I have had the tremendous privilege and pleasure of getting to know many Vietnamese refugees who came to Canada three + decades ago.  A child raised under war conditions does not mature at the same rate that a molly-coddled suburbanite who's greatest fear is losing his cell phone text privileges for a day.  It was common practice for Vietnamese boys EXACTLY at the age of Omar to amputate their own trigger finger to avoid conscription and thus being forced to  kill their countrymen.  IF Khadr had any moral compass at all, he probably had many opportunities to escape from his situation, but he did not.  He instead by all reports enthusiastically went forward to potentially kill his countrymen and fellow citizens. 

Do you think those children come up with the idea of amputating their fingers alone, or do you think their parents came up with that idea and did that for them?

You have no legal grounds for demanding that a kid  'escape' from their parents. That's ridiculous. Omar wasn't a crazed jihadist seeking death. He was trying hard to live.

Your verbal gymnastics are impressive only because they are completely nonsensical, outlandish and entirely irrelevant.

Edited by jacee
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jacee said:

BS.

A week after 9/11, Omar turned 15. It would be his last birthday with his family.
In June 2002, as coalition forces hunted for bin Laden and his associates, Ahmed Khadr sent his teenaged son to serve as a translator for members of the Libyan Islamic Fighting Group, a terrorist organization linked to al-Qaeda. (Omar is fluent in English, Arabic, Pashto and Dari, and can also speak some French.) But he did much more than talk. Khadr was trained to fire rocket-propelled grenades, assault rifles and pistols, and was soon assigned to a cell that built and planted powerful IEDs. A home video released by prosecutors shows a grinning Omar Khadr constructing his homemade bombs and holding the Quran.

His duties also included undercover reconnaissance. “On at least one occasion,” says the agreed statement of facts, he “clandestinely spied upon U.S. troop movements near the airport in Khowst, Afghanistan. Omar Khadr did not wear a uniform and attempted to blend in with the civilian population in order to gain as much actionable intelligence as possible.”

On July 27, 2002, less than two months after his father dispatched him to the front lines, Khadr found himself holed up in a mud compound in the village of Ayub Kheil, surrounded by dozens of U.S. troops. Women and children were allowed to leave, and everyone else inside was offered multiple chances to surrender. Khadr stayed put.

http://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/who-is-the-real-omar-khadr/

This traitor had plenty of opportunities to escape the grip of his father but he repeatedly failed to do so. He preferred to continue his jihadist errands unsupervised and failed to surrender when he could have on many occasions.

This is BS at its stinkiest that he was threatened with death if he defied his father.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacee said:

Your verbal gymnastics are impressive only because they are completely nonsensical, outlandish and entirely irrelevant.

I very much like cannuck`s take on this matter. Too bad you chose to insult cannuck who is merely trying to have an adult discussion with you.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jacee said:

Link that crap please? The left wing media just loves people like you that believes everything they say. Can people not think for themselves and not see a scam when it is in front of them.

Edited by PIK

3 hours ago, Omni said:

I don't consider our charter rights as crap.

It is now if it allows terrorists to be paid off. Just imagine if he was not hurt ot caught,how much blood would be on his hands and how many women would he have abused?

Just now, PIK said:

It is now if it allows terrorists to be paid off. Just imagine if he was not hurt ot caught,how much blood would be on his hands and how many women would he have abused?

You deal with the speculative thoughts, I'll stick with the facts.

3 minutes ago, Omni said:

You deal with the speculative thoughts, I'll stick with the facts.

The facts are there if you want to read them, but you don't want to know, you are all about blaming the government. Everybody is a victim these days.

1 minute ago, PIK said:

The facts are there if you want to read them, but you don't want to know, you are all about blaming the government. Everybody is a victim these days.

I have read them, that's why I know what they are, and why the SC's on both sides of the border came to the decisions they did.