Compensating Khadr

I knew something like this will be happening, when the narrative was about Canada "letting down Khadr" to rot in Guantanamo! 

The federal government is not obliged to make a public announcement, but the news outlet are saying Omar Khadr is likely to receive 10 millllion dollars and an apology.  He's apparently seeking 20 million (and if I'm not mistaken, there's also a civil suit).   It could be more - we won't know, unless the government decides to divulge it.

Here is the family background:

Ahmed Said Khadr -- Family patriarch, alleged al Qaeda financier

The late Khadr fought the Soviets in Afghanistan during the 1980s and it was there that U.S. authorities say he befriended Osama bin Laden and became a “founding member” and financial backer of al Qaeda.

His ties to the former al Qaeda militant made him the target of intense scrutiny from intelligence officials.

Khadr was arrested in connection with the 1995 bombing of the Egyptian embassy in Pakistan, but was released a year later with the help of Prime Minister Jean Chretien.

Khadr was killed in a gun battle with Pakistani forces near the Afghanistan border in 2003.

Maha Elsamnah -- Family matriarch

Known as the female head of the Khadr family, Maha Elsamnah was born in Palestine but eventually moved to Canada where she married her husband.

She’s been quoted as saying that she didn’t want to raise her children in Canada because they would have become involved in “drugs and homosexual relationships.”

When the Khadr family moved to Afghanistan in the 1980s, Elsamnah and her husband reportedly enrolled their sons in an al Qaeda training camp.

Elsamnah eventually returned to Canada in 2004 to seek medical treatment for her son Karim, who was injured in the same gun battle that killed her husband.

She has argued that her son Omar is innocent of all charges.

Abdullah Khadr -- The eldest Khadr brother

Born in Ottawa, Abdullah Khadr is the eldest of his brothers and has been embroiled in several legal battles.

Abdullah returned to Toronto in December 2005 after spending a year in Pakistani custody, where he says he was tortured.

Currently, U.S. authorities want Abdullah extradited so he can stand trial for allegedly buying weapons for al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

But Washington’s efforts were foiled in November 2011, when the Supreme Court of Canada rejected an appeal that may have allowed Abdullah to be handed over to American authorities.

The 30-year-old Abdullah has also been accused of running an al Qaeda training camp in the 1990s -- a charge he denies. It’s also been alleged that he’s conspired to kill Americans overseas. He lives in Toronto.

Abdurahman Khadr -- Claims to have worked as a CIA/FBI informant

Abdurahman Khadr, the second oldest Khadr son, often calls himself the “black sheep” of the family and says he separated from his family after 9-11.

He has admitted to spending much of his childhood attending an al Qaeda training camp.

There are conflicting accounts of his life story, the details of which became muddled after he was arrested as a suspected member of al Qaeda in 2001. Various media outlets have reported that Abdurahman spent a year at the U.S. military prison in Guantanamo Bay before returning to Toronto.

Shortly after his return, Khadr claimed to have worked for the CIA and FBI in Afghanistan. He said he also worked as a mole in Guantanamo Bay in 2003.

Abdurahman admitted during a televised interview that he was “raised to become a suicide bomber.”

He currently lives in Toronto and is a father.

Abdul Karim Khadr -- The youngest Khadr son

Abdul Karim, 22, is the youngest son in the Khadr family. Eight years ago, he was paralyzed during a gun battle in Pakistan -- the same firefight in which his father died.

He returned to Toronto in 2004, where he reportedly still lives with his family.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/keeping-up-with-the-khadrs-a-family-tree-1.976666

Take note that the patriarch was already helped by Prime Minister Chretien! 

I don't understand why Canada has to issue an apology - and compensation to Omar Khadr.

Edited by betsy

Excuse me, but this leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth.  Canada had given haven to a family of terrorists - and now, we're paying?

Whose fault was it that Omar Khadr ended up in Guantanamo?

Edited by betsy

How many among you Canadians, had the Prime Minister of Canada personally involved in helping you with your affairs?  The patriarch was involved in bombing!

Canada seems to be more allied with terrorists than being an ally of  the USA!

Edited by betsy

The USA must be silently fuming over this.   They had a deal with Canada (from what I hear), that's why Khadr was given back to Canada.

What are the chances that in the future, America will have the unspoken policy of "Take No Prisoners," when it comes to Canadian terrorists?

Edited by betsy

14 minutes ago, betsy said:

The USA must be silently fuming over this.

Sad that the terms of the negotiations were released on July 4, US Independence Day. A slap in the face to the widow of Sargent Christopher Speer, the American medic Khadr confessed to killing.

Edited by capricorn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, capricorn said:

Sad that the terms of the negotiations were released on July 4, US Independence Day. A slap in the face to the widow of Sargent Christopher Speer, the American medic Khadr confessed to killing.

I think there is an undercurrent of tension between Canada and the USA now......I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose.

15 minutes ago, capricorn said:

She should be ashamed of herself for expecting closure as a result of a confession extracted through torture.

Love how this is rubbing so many noses in so much shit all at once.

7 minutes ago, betsy said:

.I wouldn't be surprised if it was done on purpose.

It has been an ongoing court case for years now. Or do you suppose that JT just woke up this am and decided 'hey it's the 4th of July, I'm gonna cut Khadr a check just upset the US? sheesh!

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

She should be ashamed of herself for expecting closure as a result of a confession extracted through torture.

Here we witness a Canadian suffering the effects of deep seated guilt. Keep paying those taxes eyeball as more lawsuits coming soon for our soft touch Liberals.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

Or do you suppose that JT just woke up this am and decided 'hey it's the 4th of July, I'm gonna cut Khadr a check just upset the US? sheesh!

It appears to me the terms of the agreement were leaked by some anonymous, unthinking public servant. It does not minimize the fact that the timing is quite unfortunate.

The whole Khadr family should have been stripped of their Canadian citizenship and expelled years ago. None of them are Canadians in anything but name. They've lived on welfare their entire time here, which has only been after their men were shot down fighting for allah abroad and they needed welfare and free medical care. But given the current state of Canada's government I wouldn't be surprised if Trudeau presented the cheque in person, on his knees, tears in his eyes as he issued a heartfelt apology, then calls a press conference to tell us what fine, upstanding people the Khadrs are and that he's agreed to bring their entire extended family over.

• Like 1

What happens to our military over there, what about their rights? What about the tortures they endure everyday? And now they are fighting for a terrorist"s rights because he was Canadian born and mistreated as a convicted terrorist? Where are their payouts, where is their justice? What is the point of countless men and women leaving behind everything they love to go fight in a war torn country, living in a hell beyond anything we can imagine, everyday, to see their own government handing over 10.5 million dollars to one  man who pleaded victim after being imprisoned for being a terrorist. I couldn't imagine waking up one day to find the scum that killed my husband gets paid 10.5 million dollars from my own government. He has his freedom, he has his life, he exists in one of the best countries in the world, and yet that just wasn't enough. I shake my head to this nonsense.

To all the humans rights activists and legal teams who fought ever so hard for this, and to the Canadian government - put your energy, time, and money towards the men and woman who fought, and still fight, for this country. Who don't see a sliver of handouts from their government, compared to what this murderer has. Who deal day in and day out with PTSD, who are unable to work due to the injuries they received whilst fighting for you, who lose their lives, whose children grow up without a parent, whose parents lose a child, whose widows have to work twice as hard to take on two roles.  When it comes to rights, 10.5 million isn't right to apologize to a terrorist for "mistreating him" during his imprisonment when our own who are mistreated daily don't even see a Thank You for your service and a pat on the back.

Thanks to you, a terrorist's voice rang louder then any of the Canadian soldiers fighting them ever did.

If he was truly sorry for what he did, he would give every penny to that soldier's widow and children.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DogOnPorch said:

I think we should release Manson and force the California tax payers to give the old coot 10 million bucks.

Wait...that would be insane.

If Manson were in a Canadian jail for the crimes that he committed he would probably be out on parole by now. Hey, we let out on the streets a cannibal that killed an innocent person on a bus, and started to munch on him for lunch. Hey, this is Canada don't you know. We like to give crazy people another chance to go out and maybe kill again. And let there be no doubt about it that the Canadian taxpayer's are going to be paying this guys board, food and other expenses for the rest of his life. Canadians are so forgiving, eh?  

10 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Should have been nothing.  They should have shot him properly.

They did shoot him-during a firefight-in a war zone. People do get killed in firefights in war zones. He was sent to Gitmo at 15 years old, a place where 3 separate USSC decisions claimed that methods of interrogation were illegal.  He was tortured and then confessed to a bogus US military commission, and kept for 10 years total without access to any proper court. Bush said that was OK because HE decided that habeas corpus did not exist at Gitmo. It's not hard to find a strong basis for a court case amongst all that.

Canada signed on to the child soldier treaty (OPAC) and then ignored it...  nay...  not ignored...  broke it completely with Khadr.  Of course he's going to get compensation.   That has been obvious for years.

The previous Conservative gov't pandered to right-wing bigots (like on this site) and just ignored the issue and left it for the next gov't to clean up.

Edited by The_Squid