Compensating Khadr

3 minutes ago, jacee said:

The Supreme Court ruled that Khadr's Charter rights were violated by our governments.

In response to Khadr's lawsuit for damages, the government settled out of court.

Nothing out of line there.

I am not expert at the laws in question, so I can't really refute that statement.  The vast majority of Canadians are aghast at what was done by the courts (and I can tell you with some certainty - at the behest of government) as well as government.  If indeed there was a law that required him to be compensated (and there is not - it ALLOWS him to seek compensation) it would be horribly wrong and as it stands, allowing this particular award is seen to be wrong by most Canadians.   The law is there to serve the citizens, and in this case (as in so many others) it is not doing that, so IMHO, it is wrong - or at least deeply flawed.

1 minute ago, Omni said:

And had various governments handled the law appropriately there would have been no valid claim for compensation.

Yes, his rights as a citizen were violated, I do not contest that.  What I contest is that the government and the courts had no business in rewarding him to any extent beyond being allowed the incredible privilege and good fortune to remain in Canada as a free man.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:30 AM, PIK said:

That has to bee one of the dumbest post ever. I guess you are to young to know about the nazi's. The most feared of them all was the nazi youth. Mean lean killers. Trained form birth just like Omar.

Come on get real will you? Stalin, Mao and Pol Pot's red guards have to be the worst of them all, and were on par with Ghengis Khan. The Nazi's were pussy cats compared to those communist scum bag batards. Hitler did not go around and murder millions of his own people like those there sick psycho murdering assholes did. Hitler did wonders for his people, and for Germany itself, and told the Rothchild Zionists to go take a hike. A big mistake. Now Hitler has become the bad guy because he lost the war. If Canada, Britain, the USA and the Russians lost the war against the Nazi's they would have been the bad guys because they lost the war. The Rothchilds would probably have become history. To the victors goes the spoils, and the right to demonize and hate your enemy loser for life. The German people after the war have always been treated like chit by the Zionists.   

7 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Yes, his rights as a citizen were violated, I do not contest that.  What I contest is that the government and the courts had no business in rewarding him to any extent beyond being allowed the incredible privilege and good fortune to remain in Canada as a free man.

Now he is 10 million dollars richer and a free terrorist to run around freely in Canada. What a country Canada has become, eh? 

5 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Yeah but he was held illegally for 10 + years, and our government colluded. Hence a valid claim to restitution. 

9 minutes ago, Omni said:

Yeah but he was held illegally for 10 + years, and our government colluded. Hence a valid claim to restitution. 

I had nothing to do with it, so why did I have to pay this moron anything for what happened to this misfit? He kills an American soldier, and I have to pay him money for doing so? Only those who give a chit about him should be the ones paying the terrorist for his crime if they are that so concerned about him. I am always being forced to pay out or apologize for what others have done. It's not fair. Mumble-grumble. 

1 minute ago, taxme said:

I had nothing to do with it, so why did I have to pay this moron anything for what happened to this misfit? He kills an American soldier, and I have to pay him money for doing so? Only those who give a chit about him should be the ones paying the terrorist for his crime if they are that so concerned about him. I am always being forced to pay out or apologize for what others have done. It's not fair. Mumble-grumble. 

I guess you need to study Canadian law a bit.

6 minutes ago, Omni said:

I guess you need to study Canadian law a bit.

Canadian law can be such an ass at times. In case you have not figured this one out yet, not all Canadian laws are good laws. Some Canadian laws are bad laws. Why don't you try and study that question put to you for awhile? 

1 minute ago, taxme said:

Canadian law can be such an ass at times. In case you have not figured this one out yet, not all Canadian laws are good laws. Some Canadian laws are bad laws. Why don't you try and study that question put to you for awhile? 

You don'tm't like the charter of rights? Well you could always emigrate.

Canada's state broadcaster (CBC) is now going after opposition critics of the huge Omar Khadr war criminal payout by labeling them as disloyal traitors.

They don't need encouraging by politicians who claim to speak for Canadians. Conservatives might try to keep in mind that it's supposed to be the Loyal Opposition.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canadian-mps-on-khadr-1.4218915

7 hours ago, Omni said:

Hmmm. you mean he was held for about the same length of time many residential school victims were subject to physical and mental abuse while forcibly removed from their homes and family?   IMHO, that has already set a precedent of how much award should be - around $25,000 IIRC.

Where this whole affair is so far off track, is that anyone with any sense at all can see what the Kadhr family was...and probably IS to this very day.  Omar wasn't plucked out of his peaceful, safe home by the government and spirited away to a church, he was taken BY HIS PARENTS into the darkest place on Earth these days.  The reason we are having this discussion is that our government let them stay here when they had already become widely known as actively and deeply involved in funding, promoting and prosecuting terrorism.

Giving him a pass because he was a dependent minor might have flown with Canadians, but rewarding him for what he did to such a ridiculous extent is so far over the top - it clearly demonstrates just how broken our government and our courts have become.

Yes, lest anyone else wants to go there:  David Milgaard received $10mm for being wrongfully imprisoned for 23 years - but let's make this one thing very, very clear:  Milgaard was completely innocent of any wrongdoing - whereas Kadhr had already been training and preparing to be a terrorist and acting out fully the crimes of same potentially against Canadian citizens (who were in Afganistan of course).  If nothing else, Kadhr should be compensating Canada and the USA for removing him from his parents' influence that would likely have resulted in a far worse outcome for him and his victims.   Take a look at reality:  he is a free man enjoying the benefits  of living in the greatest country on Earth.   Do you think he would enjoy this status if left to his parents until he was 18?????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trudeau's huge payout to convicted war criminal and Al Qaeda terrorist Omar Khadr is roundly condemned by a majority of Canadians.    Individual and class action lawsuits for "aboriginals" who were routinely abused and killed in government sponsored residential schools dragged on for decades and were settled for far less per victim and/or remain unresolved to this day.   

Omar Khadr got express service for political reasons...."aboriginals" got more of the same Canadian shaft.

Have it your way then, aboriginals deserve much better.

8 hours ago, Omni said:

And had various governments handled the law appropriately there would have been no valid claim for compensation.

Again crap. What laws. There are no laws as to how to treat terrorists while they are overseas engaging in terrorism.Thus the vacuum that led to the attempt by Bush to create a law to address that vacuum that was found unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court. Had there been an international convention as to how to treat terrorists none of this would have happened.

The reason none exists internationally has nothing to do with our government. It has to do with the member nations of the UN the majority of which engage in human rights violations.

Canada has an existing framework of criminal law regarding treason and Trudeau has chosen not to charge Kadr with treason because he is considered a "youth" at the time of  such crimes.

The Youth Offender laws did not contemplate and were never drafted for terrorist behaviour and treason,

Sow hat friggin law do you refer to or is this another one of your fabricated legal concepts?

Various governments. Yah spit it out. Iran? Afghanistan? Iraq?  The entire UN has failed to address terrorism because its corrupted by human rights violating regimes. 

In the interim with this legal vacuum of NON EXISTING LAWS which created this current fiasco,  we have a genius who when not marching in pride parades and posing for feel good photo ops sets a precedent that terrorists can rely on our Charter of Rights to get compensation when they are apprehended. Oh Canada WE stand on guard for terrorists. True Patriot Love in All Our Terrorists' demands. With cowardly hearts WE see thee cower.. etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cannuck said:

I am not expert at the laws in question, so I can't really refute that statement.  The vast majority of Canadians are aghast at what was done by the courts (and I can tell you with some certainty - at the behest of government) as well as government.  If indeed there was a law that required him to be compensated (and there is not - it ALLOWS him to seek compensation) it would be horribly wrong and as it stands, allowing this particular award is seen to be wrong by most Canadians.   The law is there to serve the citizens, and in this case (as in so many others) it is not doing that, so IMHO, it is wrong - or at least deeply flawed.

The courts, specifically the Supreme Court, ruled that Khadr's Charter rights were violated. Most Canadians agree with that, are not "aghast" at that.

$10m, the negotiated settlement,  sounds like a lot of money, but he was reimbursed enough to cover his lawyer's bills, possibly also for his appeal.

He hopes to just live a normal life but he's having difficulty getting a job, and hopes someday to be able to be out in public without being noticed. 

He lost 10 years of his life because Canadian governments refused to do their job of protecting the rights of a Canadian citizen and a minor at that.

The law is there to serve ALL citizens.

Canadians will get over it ... except partisan Conservatives who will pathetically and disingenuously continue to milk it for political gain.

Edited by jacee
Add

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Again crap. What laws. There are no laws as to how to treat terrorists while they are overseas engaging in terrorism.Thus the vacuum that led to the attempt by Bush to create a law to address that vacuum that was found unconstitutional by the US Supreme Court. Had there been an international convention as to how to treat terrorists none of this would have happened.

The reason none exists internationally has nothing to do with our government. It has to do with the member nations of the UN the majority of which engage in human rights violations.

Canada has an existing framework of criminal law regarding treason and Trudeau has chosen not to charge Kadr with treason because he is considered a "youth" at the time of  such crimes.

The Youth Offender laws did not contemplate and were never drafted for terrorist behaviour and treason,

Sow hat friggin law do you refer to or is this another one of your fabricated legal concepts?

Various governments. Yah spit it out. Iran? Afghanistan? Iraq?  The entire UN has failed to address terrorism because its corrupted by human rights violating regimes. 

In the interim with this legal vacuum of NON EXISTING LAWS which created this current fiasco,  we have a genius who when not marching in pride parades and posing for feel good photo ops sets a precedent that terrorists can rely on our Charter of Rights to get compensation when they are apprehended. Oh Canada WE stand on guard for terrorists. True Patriot Love in All Our Terrorists' demands. With cowardly hearts WE see thee cower.. etc.

Umm ... pretty sure Omni meant various Canadian governments - Chretien, Martin, Harper.

1 minute ago, jacee said:

$10m sounds like a lot of money, but he was reimbursed enough to cover his lawyer's bills, possibly also for his appeal.

He hopes to just live a normal life but he's having difficulty getting a job, and hopes someday to be able to be out in public without being noticed. 

He lost 10 years of his life because Canadian governments refused to do their job of protecting the rights of a Canadian citizen and a minor at that.

The law is there to serve ALL citizens.

Canadians will get over it ... except partisan Conservatives who will continue to milk it for political gain.

I think Rue`s post just before yours hits the nail on the head.  Our legal system just was not designed to deal with the issues of terrorism left undefined by the UN and the rest of the world.  You would think that with the Zealots setting the benchmark over 2 centuries ago we would have had the time to figure it out.

1 minute ago, jacee said:

He hopes to just live a normal life but he's having difficulty getting a job,

Unless he gets extensive plastic surgery on his face, fat chance anyone who is not a jihadist will hire him.

partisan Conservatives who will continue to milk it for political gain.

Just like Chretien when he intervened to have the elder Khadr jihadist released from a Pakistani prison. Good for a few Muslim votes back home.

1 minute ago, capricorn said:

Unless he gets extensive plastic surgery on his face, fat chance anyone who is not a jihadist will hire him.

Just like Chretien when he intervened to have the elder Khadr jihadist released from a Pakistani prison. Good for a few Muslim votes back home.

Again, we do not punish children for the crimes of the father or other family members.

Do you not get that yet?

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

All Canadians and the widow of Sgt. Speers deserve better.

Just about the entire world still has a lot to learn about how to do unto others.

The ability of our laws to reflect new awareness as it evolves is integral to this process. Without it we're doomed.

7 minutes ago, cannuck said:

I think Rue`s post just before yours hits the nail on the head.  Our legal system just was not designed to deal with the issues of terrorism left undefined by the UN and the rest of the world.  You would think that with the Zealots setting the benchmark over 2 centuries ago we would have had the time to figure it out.

What's this about?

No idea. ^_^

Just now, cannuck said:

BTW: just listening to some bleeding heart Liberal on Global whining that Kadhr claims to be on `team human` or some other nonsense.   Really?   REALLY!!

Yeah, cause nobody can regret past actions or change or anything, eh?  Especially not a kid of 15:  they never change as they mature.