Justin Trudeau the Worst PM Since Pierre Trudeau?

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Definitely not. MP's work hard, many for a quarter of the income they received in the private sector. I'm not sure how many you know personally, but I suspect, from what you say, not many.

MPs generally work hard at ingratiating themselves with their superiors. They work hard at politicking but not so much at governing. The current salary of an MP is $170k. I doubt many of them were pulling in anything remotely near $680k per year prior to their time in the House.

My mother worked in the House and I'm quite familiar with a lot of the sordid goings on there, as well as how self-serving a lot of them are.

• Like 1

I'll concede your salary estimate. I confess I don't know what top lawyers and doctors earn in Canada, but I would have thought 600K-700K is not out of reason. 

I never got to know Jim MacFarlane when I worked in his campaign office. I was only 14 years old. I did get to know Don Munro, Allan MacKinnon, Don Ravis, Fr. Bob Ogilvy, Erik Neilsen, David Anderson,  Bill McKnight, Scott Wallace, and Darril Warren. I worked on Joe Clark's Leadership campaign. Every one of these people were hard working and dedicated. 

Were Bob Stanfield, Ed Broadbent, Joe Clark, Jim Gillies, Davie Fulton, or Frank Howard self-serving?

We have all heard of the few bad ones but I've yet to meet one.

Edited by Queenmandy85

In answer to the OP, the worst Prime Ministers since Pierre Trudeau was Prime minister were John Turner and Kim Campbell. PET was not a bad PM, but Standfield would have been far better. I would include in the worst Prime Ministers Mike Pearson, but he doesn't fall in the arbitrary time frame allotted.

5 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

In answer to the OP, the worst Prime Ministers since Pierre Trudeau was Prime minister were John Turner and Kim Campbell. PET was not a bad PM, but Standfield would have been far better. I would include in the worst Prime Ministers Mike Pearson, but he doesn't fall in the arbitrary time frame allotted.

That's a pretty subjective assessment. Turner and Campbell each held the office for such short periods that it's impossible to assess their records. When a PM has little or no legislative record to speak of, how can he or she be rated or ranked? 

4 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I'll concede your salary estimate. I confess I don't know what top lawyers and doctors earn in Canada, but I would have thought 600K-700K is not out of reason. 

I never got to know Jim MacFarlane when I worked in his campaign office. I was only 14 years old. I did get to know Don Munro, Allan MacKinnon, Don Ravis, Fr. Bob Ogilvy, Erik Neilsen, David Anderson,  Bill McKnight, Scott Wallace, and Darril Warren. I worked on Joe Clark's Leadership campaign. Every one of these people were hard working and dedicated. 

Were Bob Stanfield, Ed Broadbent, Joe Clark, Jim Gillies, Davie Fulton, or Frank Howard self-serving?

We have all heard of the few bad ones but I've yet to meet one.

Not to be insulting, but a 14 year old's assessment of people is not terribly valid. I'm not suggesting every politician is a self-serving wanker, but a lot seem to be. My mother worked in an MP (later cabinet minister's) office for about eighteen years, and the kinds of things her boss got up to would make you shake your head in disgust. The politicizing and elbowing among cabinet ministers and MPs to gain favorable attention from those who could do their career good wasn't much better.  Joe Clark seems to be a fairly nice guy, and not as soft as he was portrayed, but he was, in the end, an idiot who invariably chose the wrong path every time. Never heard anything of the others, but I can only go by what I read and see and hear now. My mayor is a slimy guy, and my premier is a big goof (who is still preferable to the last two slimy, incompetent, self-serving premiers he's replaced). The PM is a shallow, narcissistic idiot. The NDP leader is worse. A guy portraying himself as the saviour of the working class buy has not one but two Rolex watches he likes to show off. I had some respect for Harper, but he was so pragmatic that in the end he really didn't accomplish anything. Chretien was a venal, nasty, self-serving asshole who may or may not have been a crook. Mulroney WAS a crook. Trudeau senior was an arrogant elitist twit. Sorry, but as someone who has followed politics closely for forty years I'm finding it hard to think of anyone I respected.

8 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Paul Martin?

I had considerable respect for him up until he took over. Remember the nickname he earned for himself? Mr. Dithers.

He also shot his whole reputation as a stern minder of the public purse because, unlike Chretien, he did not face a divided right, and had a real fight for re-election. He opened the spending taps wide and made all sorts of grand liberal promises which would have put us right back into deficit.

12 hours ago, Argus said:

. Sorry, but as someone who has followed politics closely for forty years I'm finding it hard to think of anyone I respected.

For me, federally, only one:  Erik Nielsen.  I know most of Queen Mandy's list quite well, some are even friends,  but only Nielesn hit the respect thing bang on the head.  Provincially, it would be the late Bill Neudorf.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:21 PM, Queenmandy85 said:

Definitely not. MP's work hard, many for a quarter of the income they received in the private sector. I'm not sure how many you know personally, but I suspect, from what you say, not many.

The only thing they work hard at is sucking their leader's schlong and shoving their head up his ass. They do nothing for the people who elected them other than the ones who fill their pockets with money

16 hours ago, Argus said:

I had considerable respect for him up until he took over. Remember the nickname he earned for himself? Mr. Dithers.

He also shot his whole reputation as a stern minder of the public purse because, unlike Chretien, he did not face a divided right, and had a real fight for re-election. He opened the spending taps wide and made all sorts of grand liberal promises which would have put us right back into deficit.

The guy who registered his ships offshore to avoid taxes while bleeding the rest of us dry.

16 hours ago, Argus said:

Not to be insulting, but a 14 year old's assessment of people is not terribly valid. I'm not suggesting every politician is a self-serving wanker, but a lot seem to be. My mother worked in an MP (later cabinet minister's) office for about eighteen years, and the kinds of things her boss got up to would make you shake your head in disgust. The politicizing and elbowing among cabinet ministers and MPs to gain favorable attention from those who could do their career good wasn't much better.  Joe Clark seems to be a fairly nice guy, and not as soft as he was portrayed, but he was, in the end, an idiot who invariably chose the wrong path every time. Never heard anything of the others, but I can only go by what I read and see and hear now. My mayor is a slimy guy, and my premier is a big goof (who is still preferable to the last two slimy, incompetent, self-serving premiers he's replaced). The PM is a shallow, narcissistic idiot. The NDP leader is worse. A guy portraying himself as the saviour of the working class buy has not one but two Rolex watches he likes to show off. I had some respect for Harper, but he was so pragmatic that in the end he really didn't accomplish anything. Chretien was a venal, nasty, self-serving asshole who may or may not have been a crook. Mulroney WAS a crook. Trudeau senior was an arrogant elitist twit. Sorry, but as someone who has followed politics closely for forty years I'm finding it hard to think of anyone I respected.

Well put cretin was a criminal as well, but they all get away with it because they're above the law. The cops won't do what's necessary to put them in prison where they belong

On 12/27/2018 at 3:12 PM, Argus said:

The point remains that you have to be able to communicate with your representatives when you feel something is affecting you or your business. Suppose foreign steel is being dumped here and nothing is being done? Can you not complain to your MP and the minister? Suppose you think your business and the economy itself would be much improved if a bridge was placed over a river, or a road fixed, or a port upgraded. Should you not be able to communicate that?

Subsidies ie bombardier. Roads fixed bridges put in are'nt subsidies

On 12/29/2018 at 8:33 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Those backbenchers hold the power of confidence, without which, the cabinet cannot govern. If the MP's are not up to scratch, it is the fault of the voters. It is a thankless job. How many jobs require you to exhaust your savings in the application process, cost more money to serve than it pays and your boss, the voters, all presume you are a liar and a thief, that you are the lowest form of life, all without even knowing anything about you. You work 70 - 100 hours a week, spend a horrendous amount of time away from your family, and every voter has their hand out. These are very special people who serve in spite of the abuse they are subjected to by the voters.

Oh boo hoo. They get well paid for doing nothing. I work long hours away from home for sometimes months at a time. My employer does'nt fly me or my family around the country, world. Politicians are slime. They don't get into it for fun its about power and money

8 hours ago, Hates politicians said:

Oh boo hoo. They get well paid for doing nothing. I work long hours away from home for sometimes months at a time. My employer does'nt fly me or my family around the country, world. Politicians are slime. They don't get into it for fun its about power and money

Sounds like you think it is a good gig. Why don't you run and get paid for doing nothing? 

On 12/29/2018 at 9:40 AM, Tribal_wayz said:

Our inclusive PM at work again, insouciantly virtue signalling his cultural Marxism shite again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAITVaZfhSo

This guy is an embarrassment.

Our guy only needs to stand beside the extreme right psychopath the US has elected as their president to see the contrast!

Don't mistake socially responsibility in government with Marxism. Many have tried to make it into the same thing but now we have the happiest countries in the world, the socially responsible Scandinavian countries, showing how to move forward for their people. As compared to the disaster the US, land of the gun has become.

1 hour ago, montgomery said:

Our guy only needs to stand beside the extreme right psychopath the US has elected as their president to see the contrast!

Don't mistake socially responsibility in government with Marxism. Many have tried to make it into the same thing but now we have the happiest countries in the world, the socially responsible Scandinavian countries, showing how to move forward for their people. As compared to the disaster the US, land of the gun has become.

Well, don't look now but those 'socially responsible' Scandinavian countries are starting to come apart at the seams due to uncontrolled migration. The Swedish PM just had to resign due to the rise of the extreme right, and the presence of large numbers of Muslims is roiling their societies.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

Well, don't look now but those 'socially responsible' Scandinavian countries are starting to come apart at the seams due to uncontrolled migration. The Swedish PM just had to resign due to the rise of the extreme right, and the presence of large numbers of Muslims is roiling their societies.

No, they're not coming apart at the seams. They're experiencing some problems which can be expected. You see I'm not a bigot or a racist so I can see the good in helping out people that need help, mostly because the US has caused huge migration problems and they are not helping. Did you know that the US has started nearly 40 wars of aggression since WW2 alone? Canadians back our Liberal government in wanting to help.

Conservatives in the US are falling for the same old trick Hitler used against the Jews to turn the German people against them, and that was to fix all their problems. In the US Trump is using the same tactic with migrants and it's hugely successful in bringing the people together because half of that country were already closet racists anyway. It's extreme rightist tactics! It's fascism! And Canada's Conservatives are more than willing to try it in Canada too. Stop the migrants right? Especially the Muslim ones, right?

5 minutes ago, montgomery said:

No, they're not coming apart at the seams. They're experiencing some problems which can be expected. You see I'm not a bigot or a racist so I can see the good in helping out people that need help, mostly because the US has caused huge migration problems and they are not helping. Did you know that the US has started nearly 40 wars of aggression since WW2 alone? Canadians back our Liberal government in wanting to help.

Nonsense....the United States has far more landed immigrants (legal and illegal) than any other nation in the world....been that way for generations.

24 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nonsense....the United States has far more landed immigrants (legal and illegal) than any other nation in the world....been that way for generations.

Yeah, been that way since the first white man stepped ashore in the 14th. century. Now the numbers speak loudly to reveal American lies. While Canada with a tenth the population rescues the migrants that Americans hate. That would be the ones with a little colour in their skins or the ones that don't believe in the Kristyun sky fairy. What's to be expected from a country ruled by a psychopath as president and in which half believe the earth is about 6000 years old?

Should we doubt you Americans just a little bit? LOL