CTV Political Coverage

I am less than amused by what the CTV and presumably the CBC (I stopped watching a long time ago so I admit that I'm just guessing) consider newsworthy.

We had to hear about Duffy's dastardly $90k for 3 full years while the PC's ran a balanced budget. To put that into perspective, that's enough money to build a couple of blocks of a city sidewalk. Now Trudeau is putting us in the hole to the tune of $130 Billion+, his flunkies are claiming $220K moving expenses, he accepted a private flight to the Bahamas in clear violation of ethics, he's continuing his father's crusade to kill the Alberta economy, and we are still hearing about Donald Trump's refusal to release his tax returns?

Why is it that nothing Trudeau does is getting any coverage at all from mainstream media? He is running a complete gong show and CTV is blatantly looking elsewhere.

We don't have any money in this massively overspending gov't to help the first nations deal with their suicide crisis. There's nothing for members of our military dealing with PTSD. Just a few hundred million to throw around to other countries here and there. 

The CTV considers it their divine purpose to be watchful of the Trump administration and they are completely missing the epic failure of this country's own government. It's unbelievable.

It's just too bad we can't outlaw in-camera lobbying of a politician.

Besides nipping corruption in the bud it would probably put 1/2 the media and political pundits out of business.

Pile them up on the ocean floor beside all the lawyers.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

I have to respectfully AGREE. I find both CTV and CBC have lowered their news standards significantly and I have these specific complaints:

1-cut backs mean no one in the field any more and puppets standing in designated cities doing nothing but recite scripts given tot hem-no first hand eye witness in the field news reporting, simply taking heads;

2-the news is completely pro Justin Trudeau on both channels;

3- there is no reporting on international news, we get maybe one story outside Canada about the US President which is passed of as the international news segment, the only other time there is any international event reported is a terrorist attack or say major catastrophe and then the media focuses only on that for a week then presto its gone;

4-the actual scripts are 10 second sound bites with no substance.

News on t.v. is designed for a generation with 10 seconds of attention span and no desire for detail.

Its basically a hasty news summary if that of select issues jammed between commercials.

If you were to compare today's news with the National back in the 70's with Lloyd Robertson and Peter Kent you'd never know its the same. I can pin point its down fall as when Knowlton Knash took over during a strike and stayed-cuts at that point decimated it.

As for CTV it coasted for years on Lloyd Robertson as it systematically cut its funding and cut all field reporting to what it is today.

Today on c.t.v. you have one major story for  5 minutes, one US news story for 5 minutes, then the rest are 30 second briefs between commercials and always a segment from Montreal with no real news for 3 minutes and another report from Ottawa with Joyce Napier with nothing but fluff no analysis. No offence to Genevieves Beauchemins in Montreal but what the phack do they have her for? Why does there have to be one report from Montreal each day? I come from Montreal. I love the City but to have her always on in between sending her now and then to a major event she does nothing. Now and then we also get the anorexic in Calgary I forget her name with two eyes that don't focus and God bless her and her glass eye and weight issues but she never has anything to say other than its cold in Alberta.

Now on the CBC they have this rather plump reporter I believe in Ottawa who looks like she can't stop eating. Hey one channel as a rib cage, the other a weather balloon. They cover both extremes in body types, that's nice but I am sorry while I appreciate how politically appropriate it is to have a large heavy news reporter, it detracts as it distorts the camera angles trying to avoid her stomach which they do. Chincy stuff.

Peter Mansbridge with due respect is full of himself. His interviews are drippy. Rex Murphy is still an example of how to speak proper English, Chantal Hebert although she looks like Elvis Presely on crack cocaine is a great analyst. I like her panel discussions although she really should wash herself now and then. Wendy Mesley who sounds like she is on helium is a great interviewer when given the chance. Otherwise that news channel is a joke and the CBC and CTV 2's are ridiculous sound bites.

BBC is the last of the news stations with true international news stories.

As for neutrality hah.

4 minutes ago, Newfoundlander said:

And while they're covering Trudeau possibly breaking the law I hear people complain about how foolish it is that the media are focusing too much attention on it. 

So you don't want to wait for the Parliamentary ethics commissioner to actually finish investigating? 

IMO a state-funded public broadcaster should be as objective as it can be.  It should include the voices and viewpoints of all Canadians, and both left and rightwing coverage, not just a concentration of views from well-educated liberals of the GTA.  The CBC isn't biased as much for what it reports, but for what it doesn't report & the views left on the sidelines.

I honestly don't watch CTV news.

19 hours ago, ?Impact said:

So you don't want to wait for the Parliamentary ethics commissioner to actually finish investigating? 

I never said that at all. I think it's quite important that she investigates. What I said was that there are a lot of people who think the whole thing is foolish and have criticized the media for paying attention to it. I don't agree with those people. 

19 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Just curious, but if the ethics commissioner finds trudeau guilty what is the maximum penalty he can impose. 

$500 per charge. And he must have known he was going to be in trouble, by giving a 6 month extension to the ethics comish, which I understand was never done before. And now he is hanging a 7 yr extension over her head.

52 minutes ago, PIK said:

$500 per charge. And he must have known he was going to be in trouble, by giving a 6 month extension to the ethics comish, which I understand was never done before. And now he is hanging a 7 yr extension over her head.

Ah no, most he could face is a "notice of violation" Fines don't apply to the sections involved.

19 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

IMO a state-funded public broadcaster should be as objective as it can be. 

Should be, but pretty much every place that has one sees it plant its flag decidedly on the left side of centre.

In some ways, I almost wonder if it's a good idea for a state broadcaster to be reporting on politics at all. The guy you expose today could be your boss tomorrow, not a great idea to give people incentive to cut your budget or shut you down.

5 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Should be, but pretty much every place that has one sees it plant its flag decidedly on the left side of centre.

In some ways, I almost wonder if it's a good idea for a state broadcaster to be reporting on politics at all. The guy you expose today could be your boss tomorrow, not a great idea to give people incentive to cut your budget or shut you down.

Don't worry, Harper's gone and CBC will be fine. Plus you might actually hear the PM taking questions.

On 1/22/2017 at 10:25 PM, WestCanMan said:

I am less than amused by what the CTV and presumably the CBC (I stopped watching a long time ago so I admit that I'm just guessing) consider newsworthy.

We had to hear about Duffy's dastardly $90k for 3 full years while the PC's ran a balanced budget. To put that into perspective, that's enough money to build a couple of blocks of a city sidewalk. Now Trudeau is putting us in the hole to the tune of $130 Billion+, his flunkies are claiming $220K moving expenses, he accepted a private flight to the Bahamas in clear violation of ethics, he's continuing his father's crusade to kill the Alberta economy, and we are still hearing about Donald Trump's refusal to release his tax returns?

Why is it that nothing Trudeau does is getting any coverage at all from mainstream media? He is running a complete gong show and CTV is blatantly looking elsewhere.

We don't have any money in this massively overspending gov't to help the first nations deal with their suicide crisis. There's nothing for members of our military dealing with PTSD. Just a few hundred million to throw around to other countries here and there. 

The CTV considers it their divine purpose to be watchful of the Trump administration and they are completely missing the epic failure of this country's own government. It's unbelievable.

It is sad that the media party(CTV/CBC/Global)are all in cahoots with the Trudeau liberals. We all should know by now that the liberals will never be attacked with such vigor like Harper and the conservatives were. In Canada we do not have one conservative radio or TV station to listen too like they have in America. We did have The Sun News Network but that didn't last too long. TV and radio in Canada are now all controlled by the media party.

Indeed it is a joke to have to continually listen to the Canadian fake and phony media party, and their constant attacks against Trump. All we get everyday and every hour of the day is Trump-Trump and more Trump bashing. The election is over so shut the hell up about Trump and get lost media party. There is plenty to go after in Canada, so do your job, and quit with what goes on in America. If I want to know as to what is going on in America I will go to one of their TV news channels. I don't need the media party. 

23 minutes ago, taxme said:

In Canada we do not have one conservative radio or TV station to listen too like they have in America. We did have The Sun News Network but that didn't last too long. TV and radio in Canada are now all controlled by the media party.

I have yet to find a single Canadian talk radio channel, from anywhere across the country, that is not Conservative. I've spent a lot of time driving from coast to coast, and other than the odd phone-in show on CBC which are rare, this country is dominated by Conservative talk radio.