America under President Trump

17 minutes ago, betsy said:

Ah this person called Silverman, cashing in on Trump!    Now some people know her name! Told ya.....a lot benefit from Trump!  :lol:

I must have missed that part.  Who holds Sarah Silverman to a higher standard?  Cite that again.

It was in the Impeachment thread. Someone was going on about how horrible Sarah Silverman is and how she represents everybody who ever voted for Hillary because she called for a "resistance" against Trump. Apparently this person thought "resistance' meant the same thing as "coup", and that she was calling for a coup against Trump. But even if she was, so what? She's a comedian. Then it was pointed out to the poster that Trump had called for a revolution against Obama. The poster refused to believe it until faced with irrefutable evidence. Then the poster went on a tantrum, using all sorts of coloured fonts, about how revolution doesn't really mean revolution and that they didn't want to talk about it anymore. It was hilarious. Made my day.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

It was in the Impeachment thread. Someone was going on about how horrible Sarah Silverman is and how she represents everybody who ever voted for Hillary because she called for a "resistance" against Trump. Apparently this person thought "resistance' meant the same thing as "coup", and that she was calling for a coup against Trump. But even if she was, so what? She's a comedian. Then it was pointed out to the poster that Trump had called for a revolution against Obama. The poster refused to believe it until faced with irrefutable evidence. Then the poster went on a tantrum, using all sorts of coloured fonts, about how revolution doesn't really mean revolution and that they didn't want to talk about it anymore. It was hilarious. Made my day.

You're imagining things.  :D

Nothing in that article says anything about anyone holding Silverman in high standard! 

More like that article exposes the loonies that had come unhinged by Trump's winning!  She and Whoopie are just some of them! :lol:

Edited by betsy

32 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

You're still on about your silly interpretation of military overthrow?  Refusing to accept it as a call for a coup?

Mind you,   I can understand where you're coming from - you refuse to be associated with the unhinged loonies - trying to defend your comrade -  so you try to give an "alternative fact" to what she's said. :)

Actress Sarah Silverman called for a military coup against President Trump on Wednesday night in the midst of violent riots in Berkeley, California.

In a screaming all-capital-letters tweet exhorted her almost 10 million followers to “wake up & join the resistance,” a term from World War II that anti-Trump rioters have used to define themselves.

She then outlined her preferred scenario for the violent overthrow of the legitimately elected government, still in all capital letters.

“Once the military is w us fascists get overthrown. Mad king & his handlers go bye bye,” Ms. Silverman posted.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/2/sarah-silverman-calls-military-overthrow-fascist-d/

There, Washington Times even explained it in details!  I suppose WT got it wrong too?  :D

Edited by betsy
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, betsy said:

More like that article exposes the loonies that had come unhinged by Trump's winning!

So you are saying that Trump is a loonie? He did far worse when Obama won, so by your logic he is a loonie. The difference however is I don't know anybody that would support Silverman for President. What does that say about those that did support a 'loonie' for President?

Here's what I said:

8 minutes ago, betsy said:

More like that article exposes the loonies that had come unhinged by Trump's winning!

So I'm baffled as to why you'd respond like this:

10 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

So you are saying that Trump is a loonie?

Impact, do you have any difficulties understanding English?  That's not meant as an insult - just curious. 

Edited by betsy

14 minutes ago, betsy said:

Impact, do you have any difficulties understanding English?

My point was not about the phrasing of your point, it was about the logic. You labeled those who didn't like Trump winning as unhinged loonies. Since Trump didn't like Obama winning, and responded just as those you are labeling, logic dictates that he is an unhinged loonie.

b.t.w. I avoided the other thread as it was getting way off track but to preempt some silly dialogue about the different words used we should look at the real definitions. First coup and coup d'état mean 100% the same thing, there is no difference, one is just shorthand. Both a coup d'état and a revolution can be violent or peaceful there is no difference there either. The only difference between the two is a coup d'état implies leadership from officials (could be a different branch like legislative or judicial or yes military as was suggested) and a revolution implies leadership from the people outside of the official government.

Edited by ?Impact
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

My point was not about the phrasing of your point, it was about the logic. You labeled those who didn't like Trump winning as unhinged loonies. Since Trump didn't like Obama winning, and responded just as those you are labeling, logic dictates that he is an unhinged loonie.

Lol.

You saying calling for a coup (Silverman) and martial law (Whoopie Goldberg)  in America, isn't insane?

Oh boy....visions of Ashley Judd's "nasty woman",  dance in my head......and Whoopie again, in that pink hat!  :lol:

He may've called for a revolution.  Like I've explained, "revolution" has various meanings and nuances.  But coup d'etat, is coup d'etat.  So,they're not the same. 

b.t.w. I avoided the other thread as it was getting way off track but to preempt some silly dialogue about the different words used we should look at the real definitions. First coup and coup d'état mean 100% the same thing, this is no difference, one is just shorthand. Both a coup d'état and a revolution can be violent or peaceful there is no difference there either. The only difference between the two is a coup d'état implies leadership from officials (could be military, could be a different branch like legislative or judicial or yes military as you suggested) and a revolution implies leadership from the people outside of the official government.

While there is only one def for coup d'etat, there are other kinds of revolution.

a :  a sudden, radical, or complete change

b :  a fundamental change in political organization; especially :  the overthrow or renunciation of one government or ruler and the substitution of another by the governed

c :  activity or movement designed to effect fundamental changes in the socioeconomic situation

d :  a fundamental change in the way of thinking about or visualizing something :  a change of paradigm <the Copernican revolution>

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/revolution

In one of his rallies, I heard Trump refer to the "movement" of his following , as a "revolution."  People wanting to make changes, particularly with the "establishment."

Edited by betsy

3 minutes ago, betsy said:

You saying calling for a coup (Silverman) and martial law (Whoopie Goldberg)  in America isn't insane?

No, I'm saying you seem to be the one with a problem understanding English. I already explained about coup, go back and reread it is not that difficult. I didn't know about Whoopie Goldberg but just looked it up and she did not call for martial law. She was saying that Trump's statements on Chicago sounded like he was calling for martial law.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, betsy said:

Lol.

You saying calling for a coup (Silverman) and martial law (Whoopie Goldberg)  in America, isn't insane?

No, I'm saying you don't understand what a resistance is and that you support having an "unhinged loonie" as president who tweets about revolution when he mistakenly thinks the president didn't win the popular vote.

Even if your alternative definitions of the English language were true and Silverman called for a coup and that makes her an unhinged loonie, what does that say about a person who would support a president who did the same thing?

Edited by BubberMiley

2 minutes ago, ?Impact said:

No, I'm saying you seem to be the one with a problem understanding English. I already explained about coup, go back and reread it is not that difficult. I didn't know about Whoopie Goldberg but just looked it up and she did not call for martial law. She was saying that Trump's statements on Chicago sounded like he was calling for martial law.

Oooops.  Not Whoopie Goldberg.  Sorry.  It was Rosie O'Donnell.

1 minute ago, ?Impact said:

Yes, Rosie O'Donnell certainly qualifies as unhinged. I promise you I will never vote for her.

Bubber has turned a deaf ear on me....maybe he'll listen to you.  Explain to him about the coup d'etat.  He's still going on about it.

Btw, I gave you a like!

Edited by betsy

1 minute ago, betsy said:

Bubber has turned a deaf ear on me....maybe he'll listen to you.  Explain to him about the coup d'etat.  He's still going on about it.

Btw, I gave you a like!

I'm not interested in telling you the difference between a resistance and a coup anymore because it doesn't matter because it's just a stupid comedian talking. I'm just delighting in reminding you that the standard to which you hold Sarah Silverman is higher than the standard to which you hold the president of the U.S.

Her call for resistance/coup/whatever is bad; Trump's call for revolution is not to be spoken of because there are no words to defend him. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, betsy said:

There, Washington Times even explained it in details!  I suppose WT got it wrong too?  :D

I suppose you can use this as a legitimate example of the MSM misrepresenting the facts. A military can take part in a non-violent resistance by refusing to obey the orders of the president. The moonie paper you cite was clearly trying to put words in her mouth, even though she's just some comedian that nobody cares about. Meanwhile, Donald called for people to storm Washington and take back the government through revolution. There is no reason to interpret that as anything but a violent overthrow of a legitimate government. He even got his butler so riled up the Secret Service had to visit him. :lol:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/us/politics/donald-trumps-longtime-butler-calls-for-violence-against-obama-secret-service-to-investigate.html?_r=0

Edited by BubberMiley

10 hours ago, Omni said:

A well proven theory. Perhaps you reckon going down the road Japan has gone would work better. We'd all be older than the hills if not already dead, but we'd be all the same color. Kind of a scary picture if you ask me.

The determination of Islam's supporters in Canada to portray this as racist is related to the fact they have no viable argument or evidence to counter the mountains of information the other side possesses. I've already suggested I'd be willing to double our intake from the middle east if they were Christians and not Muslims. 

10 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

However, if you're using your parents immigrant story to justify immigrants from the muslim culture, I can see where you're making your mistake.  

Why so hung up on Muslims? Around here Sikhs and Chinese seem to make up a large proportion of immigrants, not Muslims. How about them?

33 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Since this is a thread about Canada immigration now, I can say that Justin Trudeau is an open borders moron, right ? 

He isn't that bright to begin with, or so I've heard.

No, this thread is still about Trump, and I keep hearing him being referred to as a border wall moron. Right?

• Like 1

President Trump now has a higher approval rating in the U.S. than selfie king Justin Trudeau in Canada.  

I think it's because Trudeau lies more than Trump about important issues.   

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/CP3_2/filters/PD1:1/dates/20170101-20170207/type/smallest

42 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Why so hung up on Muslims? Around here Sikhs and Chinese seem to make up a large proportion of immigrants, not Muslims. How about them?

I'm not against immigration, you seem too think I should be against all immigration or should be against all non-whites, that's simply not the case.  I'm not even against people from the mid east, I'm against bringing in a bunch of people who have done nothing for the betterment of humanity, who's entire belief system is at odds with that of Canada.  Muslims (for the most part) have done nothing for anyone in this world including themselves.  

I don't agree with everything in regards to every culture, but with almost every culture, one can find some commonality or an appreciation of a different culture - one that adds to Canadian culture.  Not so with muslims, bringing in muslims is simply building entire communities of people who outright hate our way of life.  Muslims don't offer anything constructive to the society in which they live.  Muslims are about 2 steps out of the stone age - and that's just maybe.  As I said, have a look at France, Germany, Belgium, Sweden, England.

I've got daughters and I believe in equal rights, I believe in gay rights too - not a big fan of glitter, but I do believe in their rights. 

You're itching to call me a racist, well, go right Fkng ahead.   

19 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

President Trump now has a higher approval rating in the U.S. than selfie king Justin Trudeau in Canada.  

I think it's because Trudeau lies more than Trump about important issues.   

http://polling.reuters.com/#poll/CP3_2/filters/PD1:1/dates/20170101-20170207/type/smallest

According to this more Americans would prefer to have Trudeau as leader than Trump.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3231630/trudeau-over-trump-more-americans-prefer-pm-as-their-president-ipsos-poll/

It's hard to know when he is lying and when not when his story seems to flip flop almost daily.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/full-list-donald-trump-s-rapidly-changing-policy-positions-n547801

• Like 1