Canadians FEAR Trump...Big Time

No, the problem is countries like China that cheat on trade and manipulate their currency.

Which is why so many companies like moving there, it's easy to break, ignore and evade rules they're used to back home.

Now they're bringing those values home and a lot of the usual suspects here can't adopt then fast enough.

Even Trudeau admires China's efficiency and Harper's flip flop on China from unfair rogue traders to trade BFF's is the stuff of legend.

Maybe it doesn't make sense to you, but to many Americans, it makes lot a sense to them as to what Trump says he is going to do. If he says he will make Mexico build and pay for the wall, he means it. And if Mexico says no, well Mexico may be in deep doo-doo for not listening to the Donald.

We all know that if Canada were to want to build a wall across Mexico, to stop illegal immigration, our politicians would build the wall and make Canadian taxpayer's pay for it. Probably hire Mexican illegals to help build the wall, and pay them to do the job. But coming back to reality that wall would never get built. After all, that would not be Canadian, denying illegals to enter the country illegally. We have become experts at that these days.

But does America need Mexico? I don't think so. Mexico needs America and if you want to stay friends with America than Mexico better get it's labor force out there and get ready to build and pay for that wall. I don't believe that Trump is fooling around. Why would he say such a thing and than back down after he becomes President, if he becomes President? You have to admit that Trump is not as wishy-washy like most of our politicians are.

Apparently it makes sense to about 35% of the brain dead part of the Republican party. If Trump tries to build his ridiculous wall, in true Trump fashion he will likely hire illegal Mexicans to do it. Or maybe have the wall panels built in Mexico like he does with his clothing line.

North American companies no longer feel a loyalty to their respective countries. This has to change even if it eats into their profits.

No it doesn't...cheap labour is almost as portable as cheap capital now. Canada has already priced itself out of the "North American" game, while Mexico, some lower cost U.S. states, and China will see more jobs growth. China is now the USA's #1 trading partner, and Donald Trump knows the power of The Deal.

Another reason to FEAR Trump.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

No it doesn't...cheap labour is almost as portable as cheap capital now. Canada has already priced itself out of the "North American" game, while Mexico, some lower cost U.S. states, and China will see more jobs growth. China is now the USA's #1 trading partner, and Donald Trump knows the power of The Deal.

I guess those "lower cost" US states you refer to would be the mostly republican, poorly educated, southern states? Maybe Trump won't have to move offshore to do business anymore.

I'm sure my statements are very broad based but trump is an idiot. When I listen to him, I think of a psychiatrist analyzing him as a patient.

Hey! Me too!

I like the reality TV that American politics has become with the Republican Party race. Very entertaining!

But don't worry, we won't have a say because Americans apparently don't care what we think, but yet some of them feel the need to tell us constantly that Canadians don't matter in American elections. But yet this post exists. Seems to counter the argument that they don't care. I mean if that is not the case, then maybe this whole thread has been nothing but a trolling attempt. I can't tell anymore, and I don't really f'n care anymore.

Go Trump!!! So why do American's fear trump? Maybe they don't since he has been doing very well in the polls and won some critical caucus polls. I am still waiting to hear why Canadians fear trump.

[....]

Go Trump!!! So why do American's fear trump? [...] I am still waiting to hear why Canadians fear trump.

A complete nut without a grasp of reality in charge of the country might be scaring people.... but , hey! More entertainment!

But don't worry, we won't have a say because Americans apparently don't care what we think, but yet some of them feel the need to tell us constantly that Canadians don't matter in American elections. But yet this post exists. Seems to counter the argument that they don't care. I mean if that is not the case, then maybe this whole thread has been nothing but a trolling attempt. I can't tell anymore, and I don't really f'n care anymore.

Go Trump!!! So why do American's fear trump? Maybe they don't since he has been doing very well in the polls and won some critical caucus polls. I am still waiting to hear why Canadians fear trump.

You could very well have a point re your trolling comment.

I'm sure my statements are very broad based but trump is an idiot. When I listen to him, I think of a psychiatrist analyzing him as a patient.

That's OK...even U.S. presidents have analysts.

What's crazy is for some Canadians to speak of missing job growth in "North America" while it is happening right now in Mexico and the United States. A president Trump would not owe any "loyalty" jobs to Canada, something it should be able to do for itself.

President Obama openly supported the repatriation of American job and industry from Canada....was he an "idiot" too ? Shut down Keystone XL too. Crazy president !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Apparently it makes sense to about 35% of the brain dead part of the Republican party. If Trump tries to build his ridiculous wall, in true Trump fashion he will likely hire illegal Mexicans to do it. Or maybe have the wall panels built in Mexico like he does with his clothing line.

(X)Mexico will have to hire Mexicans to build the wall. They won't be to afford to pay American wages. And whatever it takes Trump to build the wall with, the wall will go up, and it won't be built with wall paneling or paper.

A complete nut without a grasp of reality in charge of the country might be scaring people.... but , hey! More entertainment!

He's no better than any of the other candidates. I had hopes for Christie, but that failed. Guess the next 4-8 years is gonna be even more problematic for the USA no matter who is elected.

Now if I really wanted the USA to go down the crapper, I'd put Hillary Clinton in there. Her shady track record is perfect for the top job in the nation.

Trump claims he "knows nothing" about David Duke or the KKK. I doubt he's quite that stupid, so all that leaves is he is that big a liar. Take your pick for President.

Actually, back in 2000, Trump directly referred to David Duke as a racist. So back then he knew his name and knew at least a little of his history.

So, for him to now say he "doesn't know who David Duke" is (someone that he considered significant enough back then that he made political decisions because of him) means that he is either 1) lying, 2) has the memory retention of a gold fish.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/28/politics/donald-trump-white-supremacists/

Now, Trump is trying to complain he had a 'faulty ear piece' that lead to his confusion, but that makes no sense, since he specifically repeated Duke's name himself, so its not like he misheard who the interviewer was talking about.

Actually, back in 2000, Trump directly referred to David Duke as a racist. So back then he knew his name and knew at least a little of his history.

So, for him to now say he "doesn't know who David Duke" is (someone that he considered significant enough back then that he made political decisions because of him) means that he is either 1) lying, 2) has the memory retention of a gold fish.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/28/politics/donald-trump-white-supremacists/

Now, Trump is trying to complain he had a 'faulty ear piece' that lead to his confusion, but that makes no sense, since he specifically repeated Duke's name himself, so its not like he misheard who the interviewer was talking about.

It is kinda fun to watch the Donald having to squirm over something his own big mouth got him into. Finally.

The wall already exists in some areas, Trump would/could expand it.

He could, but by the time he was done dealing with the EPA, native reservations, private land, state land, not to mention the various rivers and mountain ranges that wall would have to cross, the bill would be so big it would keep the Mexican president a good while tearing it up. Great TV shot though.

At this point I do seriously believe that Trump is being honest in what he says. He has not said anything that would appear to be a lie.

Actually he's said many things that are lies... For example:

- His claim that a general used bullets dipped in pigs blood to stop muslim unrest.

- As another poster brought up, that he doesn't know who David Duke is, despite directly referencing him (and his reputation) a few years ago

- His claim that he 'witnessed' thousands celebrating on 9/11, despite the fact nobody else can recall that happening

- The claim that Vaccines and autism are linked

Politifact is a non-partisan (they point out falsehoods made by both Republicans and Democrats) and well respected source has a list of statements made by Trump that are of various truthfullness. May are classified as outright lies.

Of course, I guess it depends on your definition of "lie". If something is completely false, but Trump still believes it, can you still consider it a "lie"?

If Trump says that he has proof that Obama is not an American citizen than I can believe him. Why would he put his neck in the noose if he didn't believe so? But Obama being the President it would be an exercise in futility to try and continue on with it. He knows it will go nowhere with the media.

First of all, the claim that Trump had evidence of Obama not being a citizen came during Obama's first term.

Secondly, if he really had such evidence, it would be an issue for the legal system, not for the media. So if he truly had such evidence, he should have brought it forward and let the courts figure it out, regardless of what the media thought.

Lastly, your argument makes absolutely no sense. Trump was the one who brought up the citizenship issue on multiple occasions, so he had already put his "neck in the noose". Actually bringing forward real evidence would not have harmed his reputation any more than it was already harmed.

Whether Trump will build a wall is up for grabs but I do believe that he will do something about all the illegal immigration that is going on which he wants stopped.

You see, here's the problem...

There may be a valid discussion that could be had on the issue of immigration reform. But, Trump's rhretoric is counter productive. Talk of building a wall (which would largely be ineffective) and getting Mexico to pay for it (something likely not possible) is silly, as is talking about mexicans being rapists (and only after saying "some I assume are good people". It takes what could be a valid topic for discussion and turns it into a 3 ring circus.

It is kinda fun to watch the Donald having to squirm over something his own big mouth got him into. Finally.

That's the problem though... he's not 'squirming'.

Trump has made multiple statements that are outright wrong, that either contradict known facts, or contradict things that he himself has said. A normal politician should be embarrassed. But trump is not.

That's the problem though... he's not 'squirming'.

Trump has made multiple statements that are outright wrong, that either contradict known facts, or contradict things that he himself has said. A normal politician should be embarrassed. But trump is not.

He's squirming now over his comment about knowing nothing about David Duke. Trying to blame it on his earpiece is pretty weak.

In my initial posting, I pointed to multiple deficiencies in Trump as a candidate and as a businessman. Now, it is true that no candidate is perfect, but the sheer magnitude of Trump's faults dwarf those of his competitors. I may not like many of the policies of (for example) Cruz or Rubio. But, I recognize them as accomplished politicians who are at least partly rational in the way that they present themselves.

Have you looked into Cruz's positions? He scares me far more than Trump. Trump is all bombast but there is no indication that he wants to turn America into a theocracy. Cruz, on the other hand...

Yes, I have looked at the positions of Cruz, Rubio, etc.. I can't really think of any that I like, and if I were in the states I probably wouldn't vote for any of the Republican candidates.

The difference between them is that while Cruz may try to implement religious-based reforms (restricting abortion, gay marriage, etc.) for the most part those changes would mostly impact the U.S. Relations with other countries would largely be unaffected. On the other hand, I don't think a bombastic Trump (running around accusing other countries of being rapists and talking about using pigs-blood bullets, and running the country like he ran his businesses when he declared bankruptcy) will be beneficial with the world as a whole.

In addition, there are limits on what Cruz can do as president. (Any laws that are passed must pass constitutional muster.) On the other hand, Trump as president can say almost anything (regardless of how stupid it is) and cause serious harm in world relations and there is no way to reign him in.

Remember, the opening post was questioning why Canadians fear Trump.

Also, the fact that Trump is leading in the Republican polls suggests he quite likely is rational in the way he presents himself. The way he presents himself is working for him, so why would he do it differently?

The problem is, doing things the way he is is incredibly polarizing. He may win the republican nomination, but being bombastic may make it harder to win centrist voters, and it might just cause non-trump republicans to stay home on election day. So, he wins the battle but looses the war.

My responses only draw parallels to the existing and previous president actions that do/did not invite fear, hence fear of Trump is inconsistent and irrational.

I don't think you understand what the word 'inconsistent' means.

For a fear of Trump to be 'inconsistent', trump would have to be similar to other candidates. However, I have gone to great lengths to explain why trump is different than both the other candidates in this election cycle, and with candidates in previous elections. The fact that Trump is so different, in his inability to engage in reasonable debate, his bombast, his reputation as a businessman, and even his outright lies, means that viewing him differently than other candidates (even having some fear over his presidency) is not inconsistent.

I am not saying that other politicians don't have their faults. Every politician has probably lied at some point, or gotten caught in some scandal of some type. With Trump however, the degree of his faults dwarfs the other candidates.

Because the fear is not what the U.S. may do, but what Canada's role may/would be in any such military intervention. This is actually a fear of Canada's own foreign policy, not Trump.

Uhhh.... no, you are assuming things without support, and (probably for many) is outright wrong.

I have told you the exact reason I fear a trump presidency. Full stop. It has nothing to do with what military conflicts Canada might be dragged into (since we always have the ability to opt out). For you to assume that it is is to assume you are reading my mind and picking up thoughts that aren't there.

Once again... Trumps current bombast, his questionable grasp of the facts, and his failures as a businessman suggest that a Trump presidency will lead to significant harm of the U.S. (and eventually the world) economy, and also global politics, as a reasonable set of actions in the middle east and elsewhere is replaced by pigs-blood bullets and double-speak.

It's standard procedure for a GOP or Democrat party nomination....get far right/left during primary season and get centered for the general. If Trump really wants to win, he will have to dial it back after July.

Except of course I doubt that many undecided voters will believe him if he "dials it back".

The border issue with Mexico and millions of illegals from many nations is not a Trump fabrication, nor is the idea of a fence on the border...

Nobody is complaining that there aren't valid issues to discuss regarding illegal immigration, or that at least some border fence exists. But the overall rhetoric (get Mexico to pay! Oh, and they're mostly rapists although some I assume are nice people) takes what could be a valid political discussion and turns it into a 3-ring circus.

Anyone who enjoys good satire should watch the recent episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver on YouTube.

Completely destroys Trump, pointing out many of his lies and hypocritical statements. They also reveal that the Trump name used to actually be Drumph, but was changed by one of Trump's ancestors. So, they've started selling baseball caps with the logo Make Donald Drumph again.

CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO LINK

Edited by Michael Hardner
added video link