• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Canada's side...

That is certainly a feel good answer and one that I would agree with, however the OP stated that there were sides. Eyeball has recently agreed with the OP so I wanted to see which side he thinks OP is on.

Again...for the record....I agree with your answer.

When I hear western premiers issue thinly veiled threats to Montreal mayors who object to their communities being used as a conduit for toxic sludge, I can't help but think of western alienation. Again, this "western" alienation has always been mostly about Alberta.

Really? Obviously, you have never heard of the Crow rates or ever realized what the Canadian Wheat Board did or was.

You can bet your Eastern Ass that Western alienation goes a hell of a lot deeper than just Alberta.

Really? Obviously, you have never heard of the Crow rates or ever realized what the Canadian Wheat Board did or was.

You can bet your Eastern Ass that Western alienation goes a hell of a lot deeper than just Alberta.

Wheat Board??? That doesn't really run too deep! Harper didn't even touch the Wheat Board, so how bad is it really?? LOL

Oh really, how much deeper do you think it goes? Only people I hear blathering on about the concept are a few pissed off Albertan's who have been pretty much dismissed long ago. Especially those who have a knowledge of Canadian history. I'm a BC guy and I don't see a lot of this attitude out here.

http://www.truckspeaker.com/index_files/canadianmilchcow.html

100 years later and still the same. I once saw a similar cartoon as in the link that included the maritimes at the back end shovelling the crap away to make a more inclusive picture.

And it should be noted that westerners should not be considered as having sole right to claim alienation as there are rural people in Ontario that make claims of alienation also. As do other regions of Canada. So "western" alienation is not the correct term but does the needed job of redirection.

---SNIP---

Why are most of the leaders of the Liberal Party always come from Quebec? When did they have a Liberal Party leader from the West? Is the Liberal Party showing discrimination here towards Westerners? It is hard to understand as to why Westerners will vote for a party that never hires a westerner as their leader. Westerners have to become more pro-West and less pro-East. The East could careless about the West. I know this as fact because I was born and raised there. We use to call Westerners a bunch of yahoo cowboys. Westerners need to wake up.

Edited by Charles Anthony
excessive quoting; deleted re-copied Opening Post

No...we expect Ottawa to do its job and make a decision that not just helps one of its provinces but helps many. Furthermore, we just wish to have a logical discussion and have these pipelines go through a proper process that will objectively allow or not allow them. At this point all we have are illogical ramblings about how we shouldn't use oil in the first place. Oil is going to be used. Plain and simple....so do you want it by train/older pipelines or by a new pipeline. That's the argument. At the end of the day, the final decision is about money....always is.

Proper process, like gutting environmental protection for the fish habitat the pipeline has to cross. Nobody has ever pulled off a mega project of this scale in BC without killing a whole of fish along the way not even British Columbians so waving Clark in my face isn't going to faze me bit. I have as much use for shitty governance from Victoria as I do Ottawa.

Nope...I just want what's fair. Not based on your unsubstantiated opinions but based on a formal, objective process.

Let me guess an Accountable process right? :rolleyes:

Again...your opinion. An opinion that you share all the time even when its not required thus suggesting its not just an opinion but a biased fascination with anti-government rhetoric which therefore makes any logical conversation involving the government impossible.

I have to contend with your near fanatic trust and infallibility in our governance so that's definitely a two way street you're trucking down.

My problem with it is that you have to play the game by the rules. If Natural Resources fall under provincial jurisdiction then that's where they remain. If you want to shift oil to federal hands then you must shift ALL resources to federal hands. For this to happen we need to rewrite the constitution, not just mandate a program that changes it for one sector which largely affected one province.

Rewrite the god damn thing then. Make Alberta's oil the same as BC's salmon or BC's salmon the same as Alberta's oil or separate. Crap or get off the pot, it's not complicated.

Disingenuous? Hey pal...its you that entered this conversation by issuing a bold statement but dressing it up as a question. It then took multiple requests to have you actually come out with what you wanted to say. That to me is the epitome of dis-ingenuity. I have no problem have a logical conversation based on objective facts. If something is an opinion then it should and will remain as such. At this point you have done nothing of the former and a whole lot of the latter.

First you complain about me always saying the same thing yet you need me to repeat it anyway. Make up your mind.

What about BC? Why did you leave them out?

I probably should have said Edmonton, Ottawa and Victoria. They're all cut from the same ancient constitutional rag.

I now understand why you are so ornery with this thread. The thread is titled Western Alienation but BC wasn't even mentioned in the picture! Oh my....how you must feel left out and isolated within the alienation. Would you like me to re-draw the photo and add BC in?

No, you eastern bastards can go freeze in the dark for all I care.

Now that's a good question....if we were to draw BC in to this picture....what side would they be on?

They'd be on the other side of the Salish Sea if I had anything to say about it.

Why are most of the leaders of the Liberal Party always come from Quebec? When did they have a Liberal Party leader from the West? Is the Liberal Party showing discrimination here towards Westerners? It is hard to understand as to why Westerners will vote for a party that never hires a westerner as their leader. Westerners have to become more pro-West and less pro-East. The East could careless about the West. I know this as fact because I was born and raised there. We use to call Westerners a bunch of yahoo cowboys. Westerners need to wake up.

Trudeau spent part of his life in Ontario, part in BC and part in Quebec. You're seeing what you want to see when you characterize him as just being another Liberal leader from Quebec. BTW, Harper grew up in Toronto.

Your whole schtick about dividing the country between east and west is tiresome and artificial.

Nobody has ever pulled off a mega project of this scale in BC without killing a whole of fish along the way not even British Columbians so waving Clark in my face isn't going to faze me bit.

Please show me how many fish were killed on a similar pipeline in BC.

I have to contend with your near fanatic trust and infallibility in our governance so that's definitely a two way street you're trucking down.

If by fanatic you mean normal...then yes. I think its fairly clear that your conspiracy theory, anti-government approach is unique and quite frankly a little over dramatic. You keep talking about crapping or getting off the pot....how about you take your own advice?

Rewrite the god damn thing then. Make Alberta's oil the same as BC's salmon or BC's salmon the same as Alberta's oil or separate. Crap or get off the pot, it's not complicated.

I never said it should be changed at all. I said you can't just go and change one part. Perhaps you don't comprehend the all or none argument? In regards to your saying, I would gladly stay on the pot...the pot is just fine the way it is and doesn't need to be changed which is why Trudeau Sr sticking his nose in our pot was a piss off to Albertans.

First you complain about me always saying the same thing yet you need me to repeat it anyway. Make up your mind.

I pointed out your misguided and insincere approach as a reminder of who was in fact being dis-ingenuous.

I probably should have said Edmonton, Ottawa and Victoria. They're all cut from the same ancient constitutional rag.

C'mon...throw in Toronto, Washington, Russia and Australia too....every other government while you're at it...because they are all on some sort of 'constitutional rag'. LOL

No, you eastern bastards can go freeze in the dark for all I care.

We have lots of oil here, so not worried about freezing here but thanks for your kind words.

They'd be on the other side of the Salish Sea if I had anything to say about it.

Well...crap or get off the pot and get your separation going. Having said that, I trust once you do separate you will complain about your new government. Victims always do.

Trudeau spent part of his life in Ontario, part in BC and part in Quebec. You're seeing what you want to see when you characterize him as just being another Liberal leader from Quebec.

Don't forget about Trudeau's famous interview where he states all the good leaders come from Quebec and how Canada belongs to Quebec.

BTW, Harper grew up in Toronto.

This is why I never understood why there was so much emphasis on him being a 'Western' leader. With roots like that he clearly had an east-west thing going.

I said cut from the same rag not on a rag.

You do that deliberately don't you?

You want a different rag? Go live in China, Syria or Nigeria. Perhaps then you wouldn't be so ungrateful for the fact you're even allowed to say the asinine things you are saying in this country

Why go there when we're importing their values here?

These are exactly the sorts of governments Alberta needs in Ottawa to get things done. Even Trudeau has said he admires China for it's ability to get what it wants. Harper obviously come to the same conclusion.

Did you know Canada actually helped China build it's Great Firewall?

Of course you probably thought it was a good way to showcase our high tech prowess on the global catwalk.

Ya...try and spew some of that same anti-government hatred over there like you do here and see where you get.

Hey you can always hope Ottawa brings some of that can-do attitude over here so you can get your money and rid of people like me at the same time. Edited by eyeball

• 1 month later...

BC , Alberta , Saskatchewan and Manitoba should leave confederation. Just look at the East and tell me why we should hold out hope ? They have racked up massive amounts of debt and with their Liberal love affair they have no chance of changing for the better. With the West on it's own all the decisions regarding our resources and how they will make it to market will be made by us and us alone. If Eastern Canada chooses to get their oil from Venezuela or Saudi Arabia that is fine by me but finally we will no longer be paying the price for their lousy decisions at the ballet box . Remember Tuesday is budget day , hang on to your wallets and purses my fellow Canadians , the Liberals will need new revenue streams to keep up this spending spree. This is why it's a bad idea to give a Trust Fund Kid a no limit credit card !