Donald vs Hillary

Who will American voters choose: Clinton or Trump?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, kimmy said:

Throwing some red meat social conservatism on the table would keep his "fans" happy for a while.

That's devoid or reality.........already Trump is clawing back his most egregious proposals.........from day one he will be planning his reelection.....when his election required centrists (and people not to vote) to get into office, he's not going to alienate them.

9 hours ago, kimmy said:

You say he needs to avoid offending the "Reagan Democrats" and swing voters and so-on, but on the other hand he also got the support of the evangelicals, who had grave misgivings about his personal life and his character but supported him anyway, because they expect action on abortion and traditional marriage.  They only got on board the Trumpwagon because they expect him to keep his commitment to their social conservative goals.

We'll see how this turns out.

The bible thumpers and bead rubbers aren't going to support a socially liberal-Democrat.....full stop......As I said, I've no doubt every group will get something, for the Religious Right I've no doubt some form of Religious Freedoms bill and defunding Planned Parenthood........but in the Rust Belt and important down ballot races, what gave Trump/ the GOP the election, was the NRA and scared gun owners.

(Image: NRA funding of candidates.)

Edited by kimmy
Changed image to link-- Kimmy.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 hours ago, Derek 2.0 said:

Huh? Their 2016 platform.......and whats more, its no different then it was a decade ago, you know, when they held both Houses, the majority of the Supreme Court and the White House.....yet they didn't ban abortion then. :rolleyes:

Because they can't do it without the Supreme Court. What the SC giveth, only the SC can take away. That's why they are jumping with joy at the possibility of stacking the court.

9 hours ago, Derek 2.0 said:

....but in the Rust Belt and important down ballot races, what gave Trump/ the GOP the election, was the NRA and scared gun owners.

Well, that and the promise of jobs.

-k

6 minutes ago, kimmy said:

Well, that and the promise of jobs.

-k

Yeah but...........the pitchfork populists on both sides never explained to the out-of-work rust belt workers that of the ~7 million jobs lost over the last several decades, ~6 million of them were replaced by robots and other forms of automation....not Mexicans.....

1 minute ago, Derek 2.0 said:

They held the majority in the Supreme Court.........through the Bush and Obama administrations.

Not a majority that would support getting rid of it. I'm not saying they will try but the way will be open within the next few years depending on who is nominated. What amazes me is the way Trump supporters discount everything he has said that doesn't fit their view. Hillary lies but Trump just doesn't mean it. Weird.

It's funny actually that a multi-billionaire is viewed as a candidate of the "forgotten people" or of those of the ordinary man. The same thing happened in 1992 when another mega-rich candidate Ross Perot stood as a third-party candidate and practically destroyed Bush sr chances of being re-elected. It can be said that the vast majority of those who voted Perot would have voted Bush had there not been Perot.

13 minutes ago, Derek 2.0 said:

There is currently 1 Justice to replace........

Correction, there has been an appointment to confirm for months, but the rabid right wing corrupt Republicans in the Senate sat on their fat assets for the past year and did nothing. Over the next 4 years there will likely be several additional justices to replace.

14 minutes ago, Derek 2.0 said:

Yeah but...........the pitchfork populists on both sides never explained to the out-of-work rust belt workers that of the ~7 million jobs lost over the last several decades, ~6 million of them were replaced by robots and other forms of automation....not Mexicans.....

I think we both agree that those Rust Belt workers expecting jobs are going to be left disappointed, which leaves me wondering what he's going to do to make up for it that disappointment.

While some are suggesting this was a resounding win by Trump, the truth is that it's anything but. His electoral college win actually hinges on just a few thousand votes in each of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania... less than 100,000 votes total between the 3 states.  It's very easy to picture those states flipping back to blue next election if Trump isn't running against the most unpopular woman in America, or just a small number of independents and Reagan Democrats say "I was willing to give him a chance, but this just hasn't worked out the way he promised", or evangelicals say "he promised us all these things and he just didn't deliver, I'm staying home."

He's going to need some YUGE wins to put on his resume, and I'm wondering where they'll come from.

-k

9 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I think we both agree that those Rust Belt workers expecting jobs are going to be left disappointed, which leaves me wondering what he's going to do to make up for it that disappointment.

Not at all. There will be a surge in demand for hands-on skilled labourers in the next few years... wall builders.

There already is a wall in many easier-to-cross regions. Just it has been breached and damaged...not very effective.

The 'wall' for those wondering is far more likely to be in the form of a row of blimps with very good heat imaging cameras or some other form of modern security...plus a fence.

43 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Ginsburg is 83 and two others are in their late seventies. Breyer, a Clinton appointee is 78.

I know the numbers, the last Reagan appointment and both of Clintons are in their late 70s and early 80s.....Clearance Thomas (Bush the elder) is also in his late 60s.........leaving the two Bush the younger and two Obama appointments......

Trump has two years to appoint anyone he wants, assume the GOP retains the Senate in 2018, he would have four years....after that, its a crap shoot......Now its not too much of a stretch to assume Reagan's appointment (maybe even Clarence  Thomas) might retire in the next four years, giving Trump two more appointments.........inversely, its not much of a stretch to assume the two oldest Democrats try to hang on.

Without sounding too much like BC 2004, It's rich hearing a Hillary supporting millennial from Canada talk about what Trump needs to do to keep his support, what the congress, senate and Supreme court think and will obviously do in the coming years, when she can't quite acknowledge the reasons why the US voted for Trump in the first place.

1 minute ago, Hal 9000 said:

Without sounding too much like BC 2004, It's rich hearing a Hillary supporting millennial from Canada talk about what Trump needs to do to keep his support, what the congress, senate and Supreme court think and will obviously do in the coming years, when she can't quite acknowledge the reasons why the US voted for Trump in the first place.

The Hillbubble is the coined word...not mine.

40 minutes ago, kimmy said:

which leaves me wondering what he's going to do to make up for it that disappointment.

That's easy, well Canada brings in a national carbon tax, and increasing corporate and personal tax rates (also by the Ontario government), Trump cuts rates, has no carbon tax, decreased energy costs and tears up the Canada-US Auto-Pact...the threat of levies and tariffs wouldn't hurt either........Without a doubt Trump will peel off Canadian jobs...that should be a given.......and is why Ottawa and Toronto are "rumored" to be freaking out......

The same can easily apply to BC and Quebec's forestry and power generation industries.......Alberta and Sask. O&G industries....etc

29 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I'm hearing rumors that the Wall will be located in Texas and New Mexico and Arizona, not Ohio and Michigan and Wisconsin.

-k

By happenstance, two of the larger producers of cement in the United States are in Pennsylvania....likewise rebar production......Without a doubt the "Great Wall of Trump" will touch every important State ;) 

1 hour ago, Wilber said:

Because they can't do it without the Supreme Court. What the SC giveth, only the SC can take away. That's why they are jumping with joy at the possibility of stacking the court.

Plus, any chance of appointing a judge who will revisit the decisions which allowed unlimited election spending is gone. The Republicans sold their souls to their big donors long ago.

33 minutes ago, kimmy said:

I'm hearing rumors that the Wall will be located in Texas and New Mexico and Arizona, not Ohio and Michigan and Wisconsin.

-k

Parts will be made elsewhere, for example the steel rods, for support and bracing. Share the work and wealth fairly. That's how a Trump economy works!  ;)