Islamophobia in Canada

let's face it, as a vocal anti-theist, you don't care that it's Islam. You're happy to show disdain for anyone holding religious beliefs.

Incorrect. As long as your religion remains in its church, I don't care what insanity you believe in.

But, that's not what Islam is about.

So just change racist and insert xenophobic.

Calling me names simply won't work. You can support any religion you want to. I'm free to NOT support any religion I want to. Perhaps get to work on enforcing those blasphemy laws if you seek to shut folks like myself up.

Calling me names simply won't work. You can support any religion you want to. I'm free to NOT support any religion I want to. Perhaps get to work on enforcing those blasphemy laws if you seek to shut folks like myself up.

I don't support any religion. Not supporting a religion is a bit different than hurling one size fits all insults at people who may.

Leaving the question of Islam completely out of it... if you were a single, non-Jewish woman, would you willingly choose to live in a Hasidic area of Jerusalem, or even a Hasidic enclave like Williamsburg New York?

-k

Leaving the question of Islam completely out of it... if you were a single, non-Jewish woman, would you willingly choose to live in a Hasidic area of Jerusalem, or even a Hasidic enclave like Williamsburg New York?

Yes, at least for Williamsburg, especially if I was a young male or female artisan, musician, or performer. The opportunities and access to the larger NYC area are would be very appealing.

Not sure what this has to do with Islamophobia in Canada.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Kimmy why just ask a single non Jewish woman? You would probably find anyone, single or married, Jewish or not, unless they were Hasidic interested in living in a Hasidic ghetto.

This Jew had rocks thrown at him trying to get back to my dormitory at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Problem? You bet, the sun was coming down on a Friday and the female student I was with had short pants and a tight t shirt and I might add bushy arm pits but that's another issue for another day.

I was attacked by a swarm of Yeshiva boys and Hasidics like wasps (get it ) swarming out of a hive trying to protect her from rocks, stones, spit. screaming, telling, tongue clucking.

Here's the point I believe you wish to have made-anyone, many of us who are not fundamentalist would not be comfortable with anyone who is-its not so much the particular religion, but the rules people in that sect of the religion might follow we are not comfortable with. Most Jews want nothing to do with Hasidics and vice versa no different then most people feel about living with the Amish or Hari Kirshna or Scientologists.

In your example, rest assured you will find we Jews very upfront about not being comfortable with ultra orthodox Jewish lifestyle and in our religion open criticism of its extremist forms is prevalent. The very purpose of the Talmud is to serve as a code to challenge the religion's interpretations on a constant, never ending basis. The religion must remain fluid and constantly change not stay fixed and rigid in meaning and context. The Talmud is a code to encourage open criticism of it.

In Islam, progressive Muslims who challenge the current status quo and fundamentalist Islam are in danger. Fatwas are issued against them and they are arrested and beaten, tortured, killed for questioning, challenging, daring argue women are equal or that gays have rights. 20,000 students were killed in Iran for daring challenge the Islamic council's edicts.

You think free discussion goes on in mosques around the world encouraging debate and seeking new approaches to reading the Koran? Yah right. Go on then, go sit with ISIL, Hamas, Hezbollah, the Iranian Supreme Council, Al Quaeda, Taliban., go on sit with them and get into debate and see how long you neck remains.

Hell no I am not wearing a Russian bear fur hat in the summer or any time. No I do not want a beard, curly side burns, and I don't want to wear the black hat. I mean ok, Boy George seemed to like the hat, but I don't.

The point is those Hasidic Jews who I find to be wing nuts think the same of me but they won't chop my head off or engage in war or terrorize and neither will I.

No I do not want to live in a society where we chop peoples heads off for disagreeing, segregate women and cover their faces and engage in rigid inflexible repetitive prayer rituals that are done blindly. I believe such worlds spew out pathetic men, small men with tiny little pee pees trying to compensate by growing beards, being smelly, disagreeable and terrorist.

They need haircuts, a shave, a shower and be told, they try kill or have a tantrum, they will be contained.

No I will not have anyone tell me how to pray, what is God, how to dress, or tell me I have to believe in certain beliefs otherwise I go to hell.

Anyone of any belief process who tells me how I must behave to get to heaven or be righteous will here this from me-kiss my buttox.

Edited by Rue

Not sure what this has to do with Islamophobia in Canada.

My intention was to address the people who reflexively defend Islam with an example that illustrates my concern without engaging their instinct to frame such concerns as "racist".

edit to add: Rue's message makes the point I was trying to get at.

-k

Edited by kimmy

Anti-Semitism is a much bigger problem in North America and Europe than any so-called Islamophobia.

There's supposed to be a wave of attacks on Muslims caused by this Islamophobia. There have been a couple of dubious incidents....woman attacked by 'white men' who mugged her and found time to leave anti-Muslim graffiti. Plus an arson on a mosque where the congregation walked all over the crime scene pulling items from the ashes...with no witnesses to the arson. But sure...it was a nasty Islamophobe who did it. Will we find out what happened? Or will it go unanswered in the media as a given?

Edited by DogOnPorch

Attacks on Jews by Muslims in North America and Europe dwarf any so called Islamophobia. Islamophobia is just a made up term by the left to silence critics of Islam, they're favourite religion. Which ironically happens to be the most hostile to their progressive beliefs.

It's a different kind of killing Hudson, when it's christians killing christians. The killing from the Muslims that we are targeting is "Muslims killing every other group or culture they come in contact with specifically because they aren't Muslims."

Where you find evidence of Christians all over the world going around and killing men, women and children just because they aren't christian you have found a good comparison.

You know how many Muslims ISIS has killed? Thousands more Muslims than non-Muslims.

Which again, goes back to the point that some people are unable grasp, for some reason; You cannot equate the ideology and beliefs of everyone, because they are called Muslim. It's ridiculous to do so.

"It's a different kind of killing" - C'mon. The reason the killer has created for the killing makes no difference. At the end of the day, a person has been killed. At the end of the day, the person who has been killed has left a son, daughter, sister, brother, father, mother behind.

Taking the life of another person is an unnatural act. It cannot be explained away, no matter what the motive is.

"It's a different kind of killing" - C'mon. The reason the killer has created for the killing makes no difference. At the end of the day, a person has been killed. At the end of the day, the person who has been killed has left a son, daughter, sister, brother, father, mother behind.

Taking the life of another person is an unnatural act. It cannot be explained away, no matter what the motive is.

Reminds of some posters saying an 'honour killing' is different than 'a death resulting from domestic violence'. Dead is dead.

My first post here so bear with me.

I do not condone violence on people because of what they believe. Having said that we are at a cross roads here in Canada where many are getting frustrated with people becoming citizens in Canada and then trying to change the values to what they left behind. I have a chance to talk with many people across 3 provinces and I hear the same stories.

Canada has a history going back a long long while , and it may not all be good it is our history . Now being we are talking about Islam let us look at seperate Islamic schools here in Canada where they do not have to teach Canadian history or much of anything about Canada but it is more focused on the middle east and their past religious occurances . I will remind folks that Islam is not a race of people but a religion which has gone terribly wrong and a lot of innocent people are being killed because of that religion. That conflict in Isalmic states has been going on long before there was a US or Canada so the blame does not fall squarely on that block. In the conversations I mentioned earlier one thing shocked me many times , many people from that part of the world , even though they have Canadian citizenship , do not think of themselves as Canadians. That is a huge problem being as we are all Canadians first and then whatever else after but Canada is number ONE. I do not blame the immigrants I blame multiculturism which is a failed experiment plus our politicians who pander to special interest groups, Trudeau , both senior and junior , are no different. Now after reading this you can play the ,he is a racist card , or we can do what needs to be done and that is have an open conversation about it without the posturing because if we do not we will have more and more attacks like this because that is the only way to be heard and I am not agreeing with that kind of action but this has all happened before if you read history at all.

In closing I would like to tell a story which happened last June when we were invited out to our neighbors for supper. They are Muslim and are now Canadian citizens who have been here 15 years. We were talking about my life in the Yukon where I trapped and knew many First Natons people. Her father is a holyman for their Mosque and she asked me a question that nearly floored me , she asked why they practiced black magic and if they could talk english.

That is when a light went on and I asked if she had ever met anyone from First Nations and she answered , we do not associate with those kind of people .

Edited by tworivers

Attacks on Jews by Muslims in North America and Europe dwarf any so called Islamophobia. Islamophobia is just a made up term by the left to silence critics of Islam, they're favourite religion. Which ironically happens to be the most hostile to their progressive beliefs.

Don't think so shady.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/paris-attacks-muslims-america-trump/417069/