Penile Pumps: Men face gender bias

After men have had surgical removal of the prostate (to fight off cancer), around 10% do not respond to drugs to treat erectile dysfunction. Their only recourse is to have a penile prosthesis.

Most provinces will cover breast reconstruction for female cancer survivors, but do not cover costs for an internal penile pump.

This doesn't seem fair to me. If women are entitled to breast reconstruction, why can't men have access to a fully-funded prosthesis.

Wait, WestCoastRunner is showing concern for a male issue? What upsidedown alternate reality have I entered?

The issues of penile-prosthesis and breast-reconstruction seem like unnecessary cosmetic surgery.

Arguably, encouraging men to obtain penile-prostheses probably reinforces rape culture or something.

Don't think this even makes the top 100 list of ways in which men face gender bias. But thanks for trying.

Tell that to the close to 2000 men who could use this surgery but may not be s me to afford it? You add in their partners that comes to 4000 Canadians being treated unfairly on an annual basis with this gender bias.

Thanks for trying to dismiss this as a non issue.

Edited by WestCoastRunner

He/she just likes to troll my posts.

These pronouns are immensely offensive to me! I suggest you educate yourself about gender neutral pronouns and use Xe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender-specific_and_gender-neutral_pronouns

At least I'm getting some kind of a reaction.

I gave you lots of 'reactions'. But many of them were too long for you to take the time to read and respond to.

Breast reconstruction is purely cosmetic, but the penis pump implant has a sexual function since it allows men to have an erection (thus, have sex) when they otherwise can't.

Ability to have erections is an unnecessary luxury. Does it make sense to spend public money on this as opposed to helping first nations children that don't have good access to food or education?

You add in their partners that comes to 4000 Canadians being treated unfairly on an annual basis with this gender bias.

Oh I see how it is. You only care about this issue because it affects women and reduces the ability of women to be sexually pleasured by their partners. Why are you treating men like sex objects?

Oh I see how it is. You only care about this issue because it affects women and reduces the ability of women to be sexually pleasured by their partners. Why are you treating men like sex objects?

That's hilarious!

What if the partner is a man? And most men I know would love to be treated as a sex object.

Edited by WestCoastRunner