Widow suing Khadr

So let me get this straight: An American signs up for the military, a very dangerous occupation, then his country invades another, and then the soldier goes and points guns at a 15 y/o kid living in that invaded country, and then that kid allegedly throws a grenade and kills the soldier....and the widow wants to sue? :lol:

Haha good luck getting a dime! Next you're going to tell me the families of the 3 million or so Vietnamese killed by Americans in Vietnam are going to be suing those soldiers. Or the families of the many thousands of killed Iraqis will sue US soldiers and expect any kind of payment. Good luck everyone!

Not really, the US court finding could be upheld in Canada (they often are) but an application would have to be filed and accepted with a Canadian court. It is unlikely it would be in this case since Khadr had essentially no opportunity to defend himself. And of course even if it were, there's the old blood from a stone situation here big time.

I see it a kind of differently.

In order for the ruling to be binding, Khadr must have the opportunity to counter sue! This aspect is slightly different from being only given the opportunity to defend.

Also, can Khadr sue the US government?

What if he claims he suffered loses due to the US?

As well, having money has no bearing on weather or not the widow can get money in this case.

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

So let me get this straight: An American signs up for the military, a very dangerous occupation, then his country invades another, and then the soldier goes and points guns at a 15 y/o kid living in that invaded country, and then that kid allegedly throws a grenade and kills the soldier....and the widow wants to sue? :lol:

Haha good luck getting a dime! Next you're going to tell me the families of the 3 million or so Vietnamese killed by Americans in Vietnam are going to be suing those soldiers. Or the families of the many thousands of killed Iraqis will sue US soldiers and expect any kind of payment. Good luck everyone!

It's called a "kangaroo court".

WWWTT

I see it a kind of differently.

In order for the ruling to be binding, Khadr must have the opportunity to counter sue! This aspect is slightly different from being only given the opportunity to defend.

Also, can Khadr sue the US government?

What if he claims he suffered loses due to the US?

As well, having money has no bearing on weather or not the widow can get money in this case.

WWWTT

He doesn't have to counter sue in order for the suit against him to fail. He does need the chance to defend. The Utah court claimed he made no response to the suit, and we see the outcome. Again, I suspect a Canadian court would see it differently. Could he sue the US gov., I suppose he could, but he is obviously being advised by his lawyers and has chosen instead to sue the Canadian government for compliance. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

He doesn't have to counter sue in order for the suit against him to fail. He does need the chance to defend. The Utah court claimed he made no response to the suit, and we see the outcome. Again, I suspect a Canadian court would see it differently. Could he sue the US gov., I suppose he could, but he is obviously being advised by his lawyers and has chosen instead to sue the Canadian government for compliance. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

No I didn't say he needs to counter sue, just have the opportunity to do so. I'm aware about defending.

This is why I say that this court is a kangaroo court because they should have known that Khadr would not be able to enter the US to defend. Not even sure how the papers were filed to Khadr? In Canadian courts, they have to be handed over to Khadr in person.

But I'm sure the courts in the US give a ratt's ass about being legit and just took this woman's money fully aware it was a waste of time.

WWWTT

No I didn't say he needs to counter sue, just have the opportunity to do so. I'm aware about defending.

This is why I say that this court is a kangaroo court because they should have known that Khadr would not be able to enter the US to defend. Not even sure how the papers were filed to Khadr? In Canadian courts, they have to be handed over to Khadr in person.

But I'm sure the courts in the US give a ratt's ass about being legit and just took this woman's money fully aware it was a waste of time.

WWWTT

He wouldn't have actually had to enter into the US to offer a defense. Apparently attempts were made to obtain representation but didnt come to fruition before the trial.

Money well spent to sue a convicted war criminal and terrorist. He might be a war hero in Canada, but he sure ain't "south of the border".

To be fair,I would say Omar Khadr is a war hero to the Canadian left.People with a moral compass rightfully despise him.

To be fair,I would say Omar Khadr is a war hero to the Canadian left.People with a moral compass rightfully despise him.

to be fair... your comment is indicative of a right-wing moral compass posturing ideologue; one who broadly generalizes for self-serving partisan aggrandisation!

to be fair... your comment is indicative of a right-wing moral compass posturing ideologue; one who broadly generalizes for self-serving partisan aggrandisation!

To be even fairer, you are a terrorist apologist posturing as someone with a social conscience whilst espousing your apologue to further promote the malefaction committed against your arch nemesis, our allies, the USA while condoning and supporting terrorist activities.

Kadr killed as a terrorist not a conventional soldier a soldier and blinded another.

At the tie he was engaged in an illegal act of terrorism.He was in a terror cell engaged in terror attacks against the sovereign nation of Afghanistan and the US soldiers under international law had a mandate fro the UN to protect Afghani citizens from terrorists.

What I now see are people who apologize for Kadr.They quote international law to defend his rights but ignore the international rights he violated and the maiming of people sent to enforce the very same international rights Kadr rejected which include the rights of the soldiers and the families.

One poster provides what I consider a half assed poorly thought out comment that the soldier should have expected to die and not get compensation.-yet believes Kadr should get compensation. Yep there's logic.

On the other hand these same apologists who say the soldier is not entitled to compensation whine and get their pants in a knot claiing Kadr is a victim and should sue.

The victims here were an remain the families of the dead soldier and the blinded soldier and his family not Kadr.

This ignoring of these soldiers and their families and puffing up Kadr as some martyr for the left is pathetic.

The attempt by Guard to suggest there is no evidence a grenade was thrown is past laughable. Yah the shrapnel fell from heaven.

Edited by Rue

To be even fairer, you are a terrorist apologist posturing as someone with a social conscience whilst espousing your apologue to further promote the malefaction committed against your arch nemesis, our allies, the USA while condoning and supporting terrorist activities.

to be fairest, unlike you, I didn't directly assign the statement to the member; rather, I specifically used the words "indicative of". Clearly, you're so frighteningly maligned as to label me a "terrorist apologist... condoning and supporting terrorist activities"... and yet, I said not word one about Khadr himself. Rather, I focused on the broad-based hyper-partisan attachment of "lacking a moral compass to the left"! The only exaggerated fable here appears to be yours as you endeavour to promote your fantasy of a 'child soldier' current-day terrorist... notwithstanding his purposeful and designed manipulation through the ranks of U.S. military "justice", all in the name of "FREEDOM"!

to be fairest, unlike you, I didn't directly assign the statement to the member; rather, I specifically used the words "indicative of". Clearly, you're so frighteningly maligned as to label me a "terrorist apologist... condoning and supporting terrorist activities"... and yet, I said not word one about Khadr himself. Rather, I focused on the broad-based hyper-partisan attachment of "lacking a moral compass to the left"! The only exaggerated fable here appears to be yours as you endeavour to promote your fantasy of a 'child soldier' current-day terrorist... notwithstanding his purposeful and designed manipulation through the ranks of U.S. military "justice", all in the name of "FREEDOM"!

To be the most fair in the land, your comment is indicative of

" a terrorist apologist posturing as someone with a social conscience whilst espousing your apologue to further promote the malefaction committed against your arch nemesis, our allies, the USA while condoning and supporting terrorist activities".

I gotta be honest Waldo, I've seen many comments indicative of the Liberal bent to never take responsibility for one's actions and to be soft on criminals as well as terrorists, but now your comment is indicatively indicting the whole US military system , which has constructed a conspiracy of thousands to malign your uberkind Khadr.

"notwithstanding his purposeful and designed manipulation through the ranks of U.S. military "justice", all in the name of "FREEDOM"!

I gotta be honest Waldo, I've seen many comments indicative of the Liberal bent to never take responsibility for one's actions and to be soft on criminals as well as terrorists, but now your comment is indicatively indicting the whole US military system , which has constructed a conspiracy of thousands to malign your uberkind Khadr.

"notwithstanding his purposeful and designed manipulation through the ranks of U.S. military "justice", all in the name of "FREEDOM"!

I gotta be honest, you clearly have a self-serving agenda driven view of that particular U.S. military tribunal kangaroo court. Notwithstanding your apparent disdain for and unwillingness to accept the SCC multiple rulings against the Harper Conservative government in regards the rights of Khadr.

I gotta be honest, you clearly have a self-serving agenda driven view of that particular U.S. military tribunal kangaroo court. Notwithstanding your apparent disdain for and unwillingness to accept the SCC multiple rulings against the Harper Conservative government in regards the rights of Khadr.

Surprise, the Canadian SCC upholds the rights of convicted terrorists.

Just like they uphold the rights of convicted pedophiles and murderers like Clifford Olsen and Paul Bernardo.

Is that really what you want to base your argument on?

Surprise, the Canadian SCC upholds the rights of convicted terrorists.

Just like they uphold the rights of convicted pedophiles and murderers like Clifford Olsen and Paul Bernardo.

Is that really what you want to base your argument on?

Ummmm..Clifford Olsen died in jail, Paul Bernardo likely will as well. Not sure where you are trying to go with those examples.