Academy Awards 2015

August1991

I haven't seen Birdman. In fact, I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees. I think Michael Keaton is a good, intrigung actor but I'm not certain that he alone makes a "Best Picture". I plan to see American Sniper, and Birdman, out of curiousity. But I'll probably watch them at home.

Note to advertisers: I did watch the end of the Academy Awards TV show (and I rarely watch TV).

The annual Academy Awards ceremony, increasingly to me, is an occasion to see how progressive American liberals think. Well, this year, I got the distinct impression that they were uncomfortable. They want to defend individual artistic freedom but fall back on a reliable plea to "racial justice" in America.

IOW, America's limousine Left has an elephant in the room: how to describe this threat to artistic expression while remaining polite (or politically correct).

Edited by August1991

Jimmy Kimmel addressed this topic head on with a no apologies congratulation to "white people" for winning again. Except for those talented but pesky Mexican directors.

It's not about "white people" or Mexican directors. Indeed, Americans always think that it's about them, even indirectly. Rather, it's about the elephant in the room. The knowable unknown: "the what were we thinking"? Edited by August1991

Despite his faults, even Neville Chamberlain didn't think that it was about him.

He didn't have his own national / international television audience. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) is an American institution with membership by invitation only. Maybe someday Moscow will host the self indulgent exercise that is...The Oscars.

I still find it surprising that people bother watching the Academy Awards. It's a long, boring circlejerk. Fawning over absurd gowns. Lavishing praise on the kinds of movies that most moviegoers don't pay much attention to. Self-congratulation for their supposed contributions to social justice. This sort of thing. Blech.

I sometimes watch the highlights on Youtube afterward. One year I watched Adele performing the theme from Skyfall; it gave me goosebumps. Last year, I watched the clip of John Travolta introducing Idina Menzel as "Adele Dazeem" about 62 times; it gets funnier each time you watch it.

This year perhaps I'll watch Lady Gaga's musical performance, based on BC's comment.

-k

Now more than ever, The Oscars generates lots of promotable content. It is the perfect storm of celebs, fashion, glamour, politics, drama...maybe even film production ! Last night's show will generate weeks of secondary and tertiary television programming, boost ticket sales, move more DVDs, and sell more hair removers.

Lady Gaga reprised Julie Andrews' Sound of Music numbers....50th anniversary....she nailed it.

http://oscar.go.com/video/oscar-music-moments/_m_VDKA0_x67787nx?cid=google_rapidvod_oscars_2015

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I still find it surprising that people bother watching the Academy Awards.

Julianne Moore deserved her award, her moment in the sun. Maybe not for this film, but for her acting. Actors need a stage, and many of us want to watch.

My fear is that others will stop actors, and audience, from enjoying this simple human pleasure.

====

When I was in Saudi Arabia, DVDs of "The Sound of Music" were sold with a broad black swab through the leg of Julie Andrews. Maybe such DVDs are no longer sold at all.

There are no concerts of Mozart in Riyadh, and any concerts in Tehran are nonsensical.

Not just the part about white people - Zach Galifianakis was given a song that included a diatribe about Hollywood's other shortfalls.

In the opening? That was Jack Black.

It's very telling that the two movies that I imagine many people did watch American Sniper and Imitation Game were largely snubbed. Anti War sentiment?

I still don't understand why so many people love the Grand Budapest Hotel. I caught it on Netflix. It's charming, but like everything Wes Anderson, VERY weird.

Edited by Boges

In the opening? That was Jack Black.

Riiight...

It's very telling that the two movies that I imagine many people did watch American Sniper and Imitation Game were largely snubbed. Anti War sentiment?

Yes, it could be.

I still don't understand why so many people love the Grand Budapest Hotel. I caught it on Netflix. It's charming, but like everything Wes Anderson, VERY weird.

I don't think it's big box office that's for sure.

Never watch the Oscars, who has that kind of time? I've seen all the Best Picture Oscar Nominated movies.

Jimmy Kimmel addressed this topic head on with a no apologies congratulation to "white people" for winning again. Except for those talented but pesky Mexican directors.

Unfortunately, anything that Jimmy says is tarnished by the reality that Jimmy himself has nothing to offer except self centered wankery. He is a vapid airhead. You can discard every word he says before he says it. Just saying.

I still don't understand why so many people love the Grand Budapest Hotel.

Anderson is very much a love-em or hate-em kind of director. All his movies have a gentle, quirky context and style. His most approachable movie is probably The Royal Tennebaums.

With AS, I think it was simply recognition that it is just not a very good movie. They had to nominate it because it is making so much money, and it is about the most mainstream American style movie of the bunch- no homosexuals, a hero of sorts, and plenty of brown people getting shot in the head.

Now more than ever, The Oscars generates lots of promotable content. It is the perfect storm of celebs, fashion, glamour, politics, drama...maybe even film production ! Last night's show will generate weeks of secondary and tertiary television programming, boost ticket sales, move more DVDs, and sell more hair removers.

Bingo. Hollywood is about money. Every director, actor,studio, tech person will benefit enormously from a nomination or win last night.

The Oscars are what they are. No need taking award shows for subjective art as serious as "The Academy" wants you to take them. Nonetheless, the show itself can be pretty entertaining. I wish they waited to have the show until all the best picture nominees were released on home video for a month or 2 so I could see most people (and moi) could see most of them.

The Oscars are what they are. No need taking award shows for subjective art as serious as "The Academy" wants you to take them. Nonetheless, the show itself can be pretty entertaining. I wish they waited to have the show until all the best picture nominees were released on home video for a month or 2 so I could see most people (and moi) could see most of them.

I think you've missed the point of the four hour ad that is the Oscars. . The whole idea is to dazzle you with sequins and cleavage and get you to go to the theater and/or buy the DVD or pay for on demand video for all those movies.

....Unfortunately, anything that Jimmy says is tarnished by the reality that Jimmy himself has nothing to offer except self centered wankery. He is a vapid airhead. You can discard every word he says before he says it. Just saying.

Nope...he delivered a line written by somebody who was paying attention to this year's Oscars vibe. Nothing wrong with Kimmel compared to his competition.

Was napping in front of the TV as my bride was watching the telecast. She elbowed me and as I regained focus this brilliant young lady was singing a wonderful medley from The Sound Of Music. I had to rewind to find out who it was and was gaga to find out that it was Lady Gaga.

Who would have known?

She puts on her meat dress one pork-chop at a time, just like the rest of us. Except, once her meat dress is on, she makes gold records, baby!

With some pop performers, there's not much substance behind the gimmicks, so it was easy to assume that she was just a product of hype and marketing too. I assumed there wasn't much to her, but started to change my mind when I saw a clip of her on Howard Stern performing with just her piano, where Stern was almost moved to tears. Then she did these duets with Tony Bennett that really showed off her voice. People who liked the Julie Andrews tribute might like this:

-k

My fear is that others will stop actors, and audience, from enjoying this simple human pleasure.

====

When I was in Saudi Arabia, DVDs of "The Sound of Music" were sold with a broad black swab through the leg of Julie Andrews. Maybe such DVDs are no longer sold at all.

There are no concerts of Mozart in Riyadh, and any concerts in Tehran are nonsensical.

Well, luckily for us, neither the Saudi Morality Police, nor the Moral Majority, nor the Politically Correct Social Justice Police have managed to shut down the entertainment business yet. I don't worry much about the first two, but I think the latter does pose a bit of a danger.

Julianne Moore deserved her award, her moment in the sun. Maybe not for this film, but for her acting. Actors need a stage, and many of us want to watch.

Well, you make a fair point. I wrote about the moment I first realized that Julianne Moore is incredible in this review I posted about 5 years ago. "Chloe" was an otherwise crappy film, but Julianne Moore was just spellbinding. I felt like I could feel everything she was feeling as I watched her, which is incredibly rare. She brought the same sort of quality to "Game Change", creating a portrait of Sarah Palin that (while not very flattering) was very human-- rather than Tina Fey's cartoony shtick, Moore gave us a Palin who was increasingly stressed and overwhelmed by the demands of the role she'd been thrust into.

I confess that I hadn't even heard of "Still Alice" until yesterday. And perhaps that's a good enough reason for there to be an Academy Awards.

-k