Michael Sam; homosexual NFL football player

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's splitting hairs since gay people are defined to some extent by their propensity for dude-kissing. I mostly think it's amusing that a (presumably) grown man in 2014 is grossed out by something like this. It's a juvenile response.

This is Shady's stance, from the OP:

For the record, him being gay isn't an issue for me. I don't care.

I'm glad he was drafted.

I'm glad, if he decides to, to marry his partner.

I also think guys kissing is sort of gross.

He doesn't like seeing dude's kiss. He's also not saying (in this thread, I haven't read other things he may have said) that he doesn't want them to kiss, just that it's gross to him to watch. Big deal. Unless you live downtown in a major metro city you're not going to see a lot of guys kissing. Give people 20 years, they might come around, if not then whatever. Sometimes I don't like seeing straight people kiss, sometimes PDA's are gross.

Oh, it's not about them being gay? So he's just as disgusted by the pic above, since it's about the act right? SMH.

You're confusing the act of 2 men kissing versus a man & a woman kissing. 2 different acts. I don't think a heterosexual male thinking 2 guys kissing is "gross" is that abnormal. But once Shady says "it's gross", people then make the leap that he's anti-gay or something. If people accuse somebody of something that serious they better be darn sure and able to back it up.

If people accuse somebody of something that serious they better be darn sure and able to back it up.

Why do you think his feelings of discomfort were deserving of a thread? I don't see any threads about ugly people kissing or old people kissing, which he stated in his status update he found equally disgusting.

Why do you suppose that is?

Edited by BubberMiley

Facetiously

I'm totally grossed out when I turn on BET and Soul Train is on. Just a bunch of African-American women dressed the way they are dancing like that against those men......disgusting.

e-lynch anyone? Or everything kosher with that I'm just talking 'bout a behaviour, nothing personal.

This event is a historic event for gay rights and freedom for the USA. Remember that gay marriage is not legal in all US states.

Michael Sam made a huge sacrifice to accomplish this event. He has and will endure more criticism than most could handle. Thankfully, he has received mostly positive support. This was a big barrier he just overcome, clearing the way for others.

I am surprised that Shady is the poster here to start a thread on this break through for the LGBT community. I do enjoy his baiting others who usually oppose his views. I to find it unusual to see 2 guys kissing, but figure that I will desensitized to it as I have with heterosexual kissing.

I remember when Ellen Degeneres first gay prime time kiss was a major break through. Cleared the way for your HBO shows.

....I remember when Ellen Degeneres first gay prime time kiss was a major break through. Cleared the way for your HBO shows.

Certainly made news, but these were usually prime time ploys for ratings sweeps instead of serious exploration of LGBT issues. Degeneres was hardly the first to do it in prime time television in the USA or other nations. Here is one from L.A. Law in 1991, years before Ellen:

220px-C.J._and_Abby_kiss_%28screencap_of

I respect Shady's right to be uncomfortable with watching two men kiss. I also respect his right to say "ewwww! Gross!" although it seems like a somewhat juvenile thing to do.

However, I think many others who felt uncomfortable watching it are not just expressing their feelings, but also demanding that Michael Sam change his behavior to avoid causing discomfort to them, or that ESPN had some moral obligation to avoid causing them discomfort.

To those people, I say "life's tough. wear a helmet."

-k

Are lip locking male lovers common fare in Canadian media productions intended for wide public viewing ? Do sponsors jump at the chance to champion same sex male tonsil hockey ? Back in the day, any display of affection in public (PDA) was a no-no for members of the military.

But displaying pictures of enemy war criminals was apparently kosher. :)

You just wanted to bring up an irrelevant aside about Canada again. Ok. Troll on.

Some see 'trolls' everywhere...tough bounce. Another (Canadian) member here has been challenged on perceptions that may or may not be common in Canada concerning this topic. So I will ask again, not really expecting an answer: How common is male kissing in "mainstream" Canadian media production intended for broadcast television distribution ? Did Canadians have to wait for ESPN, an American sports network ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Some see 'trolls' everywhere...tough bounce. Another (Canadian) member here has been challenged on perceptions that may or may not be common in Canada concerning this topic. So I will ask again, not really expecting an answer: How common is male kissing in "mainstream" Canadian media production intended for broadcast television distribution ? Did Canadians have to wait for ESPN, an American sports network ?

We have the NFL Network up here, so I suspect it was shown live here too.

Haven't shows like Glee mostly made homosexual PDAs socially acceptable?

Edited by Boges

About as common as it is in the States. Not very.

We have the NFL Network up here, so I suspect it was shown live here too.

Haven't shows like Glee mostly made homosexual PDAs socially acceptable?

No, I still think American networks remain in sweeps week ratings mode for such PDAs, otherwise it wouldn't be such a big deal. "Society" still struggles with full frontal PDA, breastfeeding, nudity, etc. Film producers and other media outlets have been way past this for years, but they don't have to sell laundry detergent or new pickup trucks (see 2005's Brokeback Mountain).

I respect Shady's right to be uncomfortable with watching two men kiss. I also respect his right to say "ewwww! Gross!" although it seems like a somewhat juvenile thing to do.

However, I think many others who felt uncomfortable watching it are not just expressing their feelings, but also demanding that Michael Sam change his behavior to avoid causing discomfort to them, or that ESPN had some moral obligation to avoid causing them discomfort.

To those people, I say "life's tough. wear a helmet."

-k

Yep, I'm occasionally juvenile from time to time. But thanks for respecting my opinion. For some reason it's really shocked people that a heterosexual male, that doesn't find other males attractive, would not find two males kissing, with cake on their faces, all that attractive. Unbelievable huh!? The next thing I need to do, I'm guessing, is find a really fat woman in a bikini also attractive. And then after that, maybe a child with snot dripping out of their nose. Who knows.

Michael Sam made a huge sacrifice to accomplish this event. He has and will endure more criticism than most could handle.

Complete nonsense. He's endured more praise than most, if not anyone ever drafted into the NFL.

Yep, I'm occasionally juvenile from time to time. But thanks for respecting my opinion. For some reason it's really shocked people that a heterosexual male, that doesn't find other males attractive, would not find two males kissing, with cake on their faces, all that attractive. Unbelievable huh!? The next thing I need to do, I'm guessing, is find a really fat woman in a bikini also attractive. And then after that, maybe a child with snot dripping out of their nose. Who knows.

Are you going to start a thread about how grossed out you are about "fatties"? I'm guessing not, as its childish.....but you've proven me wrong before. I say gross yourself out....just don't throw your feces when people call you out for it.......quid pro quo.

Not really. Unbelievable, however, that someone would create a thread about it...unless, of course, they were hoping for criticism in order to feed their victimhood complex.

No, the thread is about him being drafted as much as the kiss. It's just the kiss is what you and your ilk are transfixed by. Because g-dammit, everybody NEEDS to love it! And if they don't, you and your ilk get a serious case of the vapors.

Are you going to start a thread about how grossed out you are about "fatties"? I'm guessing not, as its childish.....but you've proven me wrong before. I say gross yourself out....just don't throw your feces when people call you out for it.......quid pro quo.

Not at all. I find it the same way I found Al Gore and Tipper Gore's kiss from the presidential convention back a while ago. Except I think I was even more grossed out. It was actually fairly big news for a while.