Michael Sam; homosexual NFL football player

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I just heard the Cowboys cut Michael Sam.

Kind of sucks for him that they're having an excellent season, they don't really need him.

In all honesty the Ray Rice/AP stories kind of buried his and now people are just wanting to talk football.

Ray Rice has an appeal hearing soon and he might be re-instated.

Edited by Boges

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

And he played for them this weekend. Apparently his teammates don't like him .

Problems started during the preseason when Sam left the team for "personal reasons." At the time, Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette wrote Sam was not expected to return and floated a rumor that Sam left simply because he wasn't good enough.

“The latest theory concerning Sam’s departure was that he simply wasn’t good enough to make the roster, sensed this and left to save himself and the organization embarrassment. This particular scenario is gaining steam throughout the Als dressing room and, for that matter, the CFL.”

However, Sam did return two weeks later, just prior to the start of the regular season. That is when the problems really started. Even though Sam did not dress for the first five regular season games, he was kept on the active roster which meant he received a full game check each week, according to Zurkowsky, and his teammates are not happy.

The anger is likely fueled at least in part by Sam's $100,000 salary (~$76,000 US). While that is peanuts compared to the NFL, that is huge in a league with a $5.0 million (~$3.8 million US) salary cap where most rookies make half that, the average salary is about $80,000 (~$61,000 US), and about 10% of players work a second job in the offseason.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-sam-montreal-alouettes-cfl-2015-8#ixzz3iR6Gogn8
Edited by Boges

I watched the game... He didn't look out of place. The CFL is a different game and he'll need to adjust. He's still a young player, so there's lots to learn. Most rookies don't make an instant impact... but because of his salary, people are going to set their expectations accordingly.

I'm not sure how much stock I put into the "Business Insider" article.

I watched the game... He didn't look out of place. The CFL is a different game and he'll need to adjust. He's still a young player, so there's lots to learn. Most rookies don't make an instant impact... but because of his salary, people are going to set their expectations accordingly.

I'm not sure how much stock I put into the "Business Insider" article.

That was just an American perspective.

Here's a Canadian one.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2015/08/08/sams-100k-salary-raises-eyebrows

He's a rookie that's making way more than a rookie salary.

Absolutely... Montreal may have hurt themselves by doing that... but that's not Sam's fault... What's he supposed to say? "No, don't give me THAT much..."

AND He's done.

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/cfl/michael-sams-montreal-alouettes-tenure-a-sad-story-in-more-ways-than-one

The Canadian Football League chapter of the Michael Sam story is sad on so many levels.

Sad in that the Montreal Alouettes held a lavish news conference for a guy with so-so game film and little chance, on paper, of making a difference in the three-down game.

Sad in that his teammates — the majority making significantly less than the $100,000 Sam reportedly signed for — watched helplessly as the roster spot of a worthy player went to a guy with a bigger name and a splashier backstory.

But the guy we worry about the most in this soap opera is the one considering coming out of the closet — the player who reads about the Sam situation and decides, understandably, that it’s not worth the bother.

It is unfortunate that this will give some ammunition to those who view homosexuality as a mental illness. From what I saw in the news, Sam is a sensitive and polite gentleman who ceratinly does not fit the preconception of the dumb jock. It is difficult enough to try to play professional football without carrying all that baggage of a lifestyle and an inflated salary (for a rookie trying to make a Canadian team).

I hope he has a backup career through his University graduation.