Moderating Mapleafweb's Moderation

Argus

"Ike Softner"? Riiiiiiight.

I wonder if he has a friend named "Gnarles Manthony"?

Anybody want to start a pool on how long it takes our crack moderators to figure out they're being pranked?

Mark me down for 7 months.

-k

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had a situation many years ago where there was an opening for a pricipalship at a particular school. The school in a very low income community had a long history of problems with the students, parents and especially the staff. The job was advertised. A good friend at that time had the capability, ruthlessness, dedication, experience and knowledge to be able to do that job. He also understood the problems and consequently did not apply for the position. His reputation was well known around the board.

The hiring team interviewed 6 applicants and no candidate was chosen. The position was advertised again. Again 6 more candidates were interviewed with no one found appropriate. Finally my friend was approached by the head of the interview committee. He was asked why he did not apply and in detail described the problems in that school and the resources that were available and added he would be a fool to apply under those conditions. He was asked what was needed. He stated, "about 1 million in special technical support, the right to transfer certain teachers, bring a certain VP with him ...." and another 20 support mechanisms.

He was asked to apply, was interviewed, offered assurances he would get his requests and offered the position.

He accepted the position and did eventually turn that school around. Unfortunately, it cost him his health.

The reason I used this example is that there are positions for which merely applying for it indicates that you do not understand the job and are therefore unqualified to do the job.

The position of moderator here may be one of those.

Sounds a bit like the 1989 movie "Lean on Me."

I'm trying to figure out the heavy handed approach to deleting posts. It seems to me posts are being deleted when the mods are reviewing them in isolation of the entire thread. I know the mods don't have time to follow an entire thread so how on earth can they determine what should be deleted?

I know, I know. Charles has explained if they don't add substance to a thread, but really?? How would he know?

And to add. I do understand the need to raise the bar and I think this is being successful thanks to the diligence being applied. However, deleting so many posts seems a tad unreasonable and removes the character of many posters here. In the end, it becomes a clinical site.

If it's not obvious then you should get a message explaining why something was deleted. We were guilty of (sometimes) not messaging people when the reasons were obvious to us but maybe not the poster, and this has resulted in some people being unsure if their posts have been deleted or not. If in doubt, feel free to message Charles or myself to ask but really there should be no examples where you are wondering where your post went.

A post that quotes another and says only "ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha" doesn't add anything and so you should be surprised if it gets deleted.

No...I was refering to the e-mails that accompany MH's & CA's new found sense of editorial morality.

Are the mods trolling or being trolled?

I'm reminded of that picture of the frog with his hands around the throat of the heron that's trying to swallow him.

I trust everyone knows what I'm referring to. I'd post the picture but it would probably just get deleted.

I get the feeling that there are posters here who feel certain "entitlements" as volunteer participants.

My understanding is that this is a "convenience" that some individuals have created for their own personal reasons. It is a venue for enjoyment for any individuals who so choose. I doubt it is financial since I see no advertising here.

Consequently I see no restrictions on the moderators to set their own standards, remove anybody they want to with no explanation required and/or set whatever rules they want.

This site has over a million posts - they must be doing something right.

Consequently I see no restrictions on the moderators to set their own standards, remove anybody they want to with no explanation required and/or set whatever rules they want.

The tradition of this web site has been to come down on the side of freedom of speech, regardless of the fascist sensibilities of some easily offended posters. As well, the participants are the content. Without them the site dies, and the site has already lost far too many good participants in the last couple of years, gaining instead a series of conspiracy buffs, loonies, and low intellect ignoramuses who contribute nothing to discussions but their own bile.

The tradition of this web site has been to come down on the side of freedom of speech, regardless of the fascist sensibilities of some easily offended posters. As well, the participants are the content. Without them the site dies, and the site has already lost far too many good participants in the last couple of years, gaining instead a series of conspiracy buffs, loonies, and low intellect ignoramuses who contribute nothing to discussions but their own bile.

Thank you for volunteering to be a self appointed spokesperson but those are only your views and you will have to take full responsibility for your personal views. Nobody asked you to speak for them and each participant is quite capable of speaking their own opinions. As a self appointed expert on Internet sites you seem more than capable to create your own - with your own standards and others who want to read your opinions.

There is a very easy solution to your difficulties with this site - create your own and take all of those "good participants" with you. You can be your own administrator/moderator and set up a site that would draw only the intellectuals, political pundits, morality judges and experts in all fields - like yourself. You could leave all the "conspiracy buffs, loonies, and low intellect ignoramuses who contribute nothing to discussions but their own bile." here.

I do agree that "participants are the content" and since you are the main participant your new site would automatically draw the "good participants" from this site and others.

If you end up taking my advice, please post the address here so that your fans and others can react accordingly.

Thank you for volunteering to be a self appointed spokesperson but those are only your views and you will have to take full responsibility for your personal views.

Well gee. I hope I can take the pressure. :rolleyes:

Nobody asked you to speak for them

I was, am and always will speak for myself. I don't assume some glorious mantle of nobly representing the many, as you so often do, when pontificating on something or other.

There is a very easy solution to your difficulties with this site

My only problem with this site are some of the cretins on it.

. Without them the site dies, and the site has already lost far too many good participants in the last couple of years, gaining instead a series of conspiracy buffs, loonies, and low intellect ignoramuses who contribute nothing to discussions but their own bile.

Considering there are only a handful of active posters, you have basically insulted most everyone except yourself. Do you see that anywhere in your statement?

Why not delete this post too?