SOCHI Winter Olympics 2014 Russia

jacee

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The old Canada-cup had best of three finals. The 1987 Canada-cup finals between canada and the Soviet Union were probably the most epic matches in hockey history. The old world still existed with the iron curtain and the Soviet players were still nominal amateurs though they did nothing else than practise.

Poor Widdle Puppies!

http://www.thestar.com/sports/sochi2014/2014/02/02/sochi_2014_stray_dog_cull_sparks_controversy.html

The local chapter of the World Society for the Protection of Animals has joined animal rights and citizens’ groups around the world in calling for an end to mass killings of stray dogsin Sochi, orchestrated by officials intent on “cleaning” up the city for the Olympics.

“We’re concerned to hear about the dog culls in Sochi . . . these mass killings are cruel, ineffective and unnecessary,” spokesperson Elizabeth Sharpe said from the WSPA’s Toronto office Sunday.

“Only formalized vaccination, sterilization and responsible pet ownership programs can effectively and humanely control dog populations in the long-term.”

Last year, Sochi authorities cancelled a program to kill off more than 2,000 stray dogs and cats, but reports including video clips have surfaced of stray dog killings in the city at night.

Why is that people, me included, get so upset about dead dogs?

It's called compassion. Either you have it or you don't.

But there's something about dogs. People love dogs.

Remember the scene in Independence Day where LA was being destroyed by the Alien Death Ray? Vivica A Foxes character was looking for cover. People didn't give a crap about her and her family. HER LAB WAS STILL IN THE CAR! Get the freakin' dog before you save your family. Am I wrong people? Everyone was thinking about the dog in that scene.

Anyway I understand this, if there's a dog problem a cull is needed, though it might have been better to deal with the problem a little earlier. I do think referring to stay dogs as "biological waste" is a bit much. But then again the Russians used Dogs as mobile bombs in WW2 so I guess it could be expected.

Edited by Boges

If it was me , I would want a mercury.

Clearly, you hate Canada and Canadian working people.

Mercury is an Amerikkkan company that builds its small outboards in Japan and China , assembled by cadres of slogan chanting foreigners.

Johnson outboard brand was acquired by Evinrude, a subsidiary of the the Mighty Bombardier Corp of Canuckistan.

i Have this feeling that Sochi, from both the participant and the attendees will be somewhat a bust judging on the lack of facilites being finished. The quality is typical Russian shite , cheap lazy construction.

The hotels aren't finished, the lack of any amenities or decor is apparent , hot water rads installed 10 feet up a wall, toilets with viewing chairs three feet in front of them.

Do they ban google in Russia? Cant anyone stop and think "lets google this to see what it should look like?'

Chances are most things were built by drunk russian men. And thats the Russian in my office telling me this.

Putin some pundit opined, could be the big loser in this. Lets hope so.

i Have this feeling that Sochi, from both the participant and the attendees will be somewhat a bust judging on the lack of facilites being finished. The quality is typical Russian shite , cheap lazy construction.

The hotels aren't finished, the lack of any amenities or decor is apparent ...

Oh noes, what ever will Olympic athletes do if there isn't a painting hanging in their hotel room? The horror! The tragedy!

You've seen the pictures, right?

Would you book one of those hotels?

There was a Rosie DiManno column yesterday that basically said "toughen up, buttercup".

Most Olympics are preceded by bitching from the media. Remember the British Media in the lead up to Vancouver?

There's obvious examples of rampant corruption here but it looks like the facilities are state-of-the-art for the most part. That's all we'll care about once the games start tomorrow.

As for all the hilarious toilet pics. Apparently it's common in many parts of the world to have really crappy plumbing.

That being said, I wouldn't want to be there.

Edited by Boges

Clearly, you hate Canada and Canadian working people.

Mercury is an Amerikkkan company that builds its small outboards in Japan and China , assembled by cadres of slogan chanting foreigners.

Johnson outboard brand was acquired by Evinrude, a subsidiary of the the Mighty Bombardier Corp of Canuckistan.

Clearly I hate rowing, I have owned johnson/rude, martin, chrysler and mercs, and the merc is the only one I have not rowed home.

I must respond and tell Bonam Russians are no different than people in Vancouver. Weird. No just joking. He knows I get nervous when I hear people make sweeping statements about people. :)

Ok on a serious note I have to agree with the curmudgeon Shady on this one. Look all kidding aside, I do not like Putin and his homophobic hatred. For me its just recycled Russian anti-Semitism only now its directed at gays not Jews. There is an unfortunate tendency in Russian politics to find a scapegoat and harass them, Before it was Jews now its gays. My grandparents fled Russian pogroms so for me replace the word jew for gay and I just hear the same

hatred coming out and so I admit I have a very strong bias against Putin's homophobic hatred institutionalized in law.

I also think he lives in a country that is in all intensive purposes a large organized black market. To me Putin is just a dirty cop, a thug hired to protect special interests in Russia. I believe he is a puppet hand picked by former Communist party officials who were young enough to grab their money and hide when their older top layer party bosses crumbled. I believe they just stashed as much money as they could and have now resurfaced and its the same nasty old Communist party members from the lower levels now in alliance with organized crime and Putin is just the dirty cop making sure no one moves in on their territories.

He is a product of the communist party-a vicious thug who rose in the ranks of the KGB because he knew how to kiss ass and he was willing to coldly and efficiently get rid of people.

Putin is much colder and psychotic than he looks and people under-estimate him and what he will do to keep power. The homophobic laws are a classic Russian tool focus on a scapegoat to keep the peoples' minds off their own failures.

Getting back to Shady, sure Putin is a thug. Shady is not defending him. What he is saying though and I agree is where do we start and end with these boycotts? They are two faced. He is dead on. What was anyone saying about China? No one said let's boycott China because they are illegally possessing Tibet. You didnn't see the same critics say of Israel on the West Bank rally to protest China's olympics. The same trendy darling leftists who now hate Putin because he'santi-gay sure were not peeping over China.

I am glad it takes hating gays to get trendy leftists on their feet but its a tad two faced.

The reality is dirty countries love to host the Olympics to gain credibility. Its an ego show.

I am not sure why the US or Canada or Britain bothers with the Olympics. For what reason? It costs a fortune in construction with illegal kickbacks and deliberately overcharged construction expenses and then the Olympics itself what is it now? Come on. Its not amateur sports, its a huge corrupted display of advertising. The athletes are paid only we call it sponsored. Don't get me wrong I think those athletes are still good people busting their humps off for all their lives for that one brief moment to achieve and I admire them for that and cheer them on but the advertising, the corrupt officials, the endorsement system, they all make me sick-its one bloated corrupt spectacle exploiting athletes.

I would love to see a genuinely amateur sports competition but in this day and age that can never happen at any level where countries get involved at high levels.

The Olympic officials running the show to me are corrupt sob's.So I am going to say, Putin is the least of the issues. He's just one little pawn in this whole friggin rotten spectacle.

On that note though, I will out of respect for those athletes who have bust their humps in genuine dedication to their countries, say, for two weeks I will hold my breath about all the political b.s. and support them all and this does not mean I approve what Putin does. To me the best thing that can happen is what happened in Berlin with Jesse Owens. I hope some gay person wins a Gold and wiggles their ass in his direction on the podium. To me that is the best revenge. Better still have all the athletes winning medals wiggle their collective butts at him and blow him kisses.

I have a funny feeling a lot of athletes are going to display their true feelings and maybe that is what gay people need to see, straight people and straight athletes not just gay people at the Olympics giving Putin the finger in the true spirit of the Olympics.

You've seen the pictures, right?

Would you book one of those hotels?

Whenever I go anywhere I stay in the cheapest lodging possible. Leaves more money for the things I'm actually going there for... like heli-skiing, mountain climbing, etc. My typical travel accommodations are a cold room with a bunch of bunk beds and a pit toilet outside, or a tent. So yes, I'd have no problem staying in one of those hotels. As Boges said... "toughen up".

Oh noes, what ever will Olympic athletes do if there isn't a painting hanging in their hotel room? The horror! The tragedy!

It's not about paintings. It's about yellow water coming out of the taps. It's also about being asked not to flush toilet paper, but to leave in in the bucket beside the door to be thrown out later.

Whenever I go anywhere I stay in the cheapest lodging possible. Leaves more money for the things I'm actually going there for... like heli-skiing, mountain climbing, etc. My typical travel accommodations are a cold room with a bunch of bunk beds and a pit toilet outside, or a tent. So yes, I'd have no problem staying in one of those hotels. As Boges said... "toughen up".

Oh yeah? Do your accommodations typically look anything like the pictures here:

http://thechive.com/2014/02/06/conditions-at-the-sochi-olympics-are-badhilarious-32-photos/

A real World Class event their hosting here. If our accommodations in Vancouver were like this, it would have been an embarrassment to our entire country. Here you are defending it.

Edited by cybercoma