What improvements would you like to see in this discussion forum?

Greg

I want to see sub-titles again for threads.

Everybody should be encouraged to create tags with all of their Opening Posts. Just in case it is unclear, the tags for this thread discussion are improvements, discussion, forum, Canada, politics and members.

I want to see the option to tag individual posts also.

Not a bad idea to lock the edit function after a certain amount of time. I can get behind that. Just found out I can edit my posts on Youtube now thanks to the horrible google+ integration.

I do look over my post after I post it and then correct grammar, spelling if I can. And those quotes.

Nah I don't like edit time-limits

• Forum Admin

I dream of an extra template that looks like Reddit or My Little Forum while still retaining the motif and functionality of the current forum for those who like it the way it is.

Multiple forum themes (and the ability to select your default) is possible with IPB and one option that I am open to. I'll add it to the list of good ideas come out of this thread.

• Forum Admin

Nah I don't like edit time-limits

I personally agree. Originally i was hesitant to let people edit a posting [x] number of days after posting - because I thought it would be abused; i.e. someone changing their position and confusing everyone. But that hasn't really happened. People seem to edit to fix spelling and grammatical errors - which I believe is, in the long run, good for the forum and good for the individual contributor.

I want to see sub-titles again for threads.

Everybody should be encouraged to create tags with all of their Opening Posts. Just in case it is unclear, the tags for this thread discussion are improvements, discussion, forum, Canada, politics and members.

I want to see the option to tag individual posts also.

You guys should consider making a stuck announcement explaining tags and how to use them, whilst encouraging posters to do so every time they make a thread. I began using them when they were first implemented, but they weren't adopted by the membership so I stopped.

Come to think of it, a New Posters forum would be an excellent idea. In there you could stick a few important threads that they should read before posting, e.g., forum rules & guidelines, how to use tags, how-to guide for the forum software.

If you want to be particularly stringent in dealing with spammers, you could force new posters into a read-only state for the rest of the forum until they've started a thread introducing themselves in the New Posters Forum. This can make damage control for spambots a bit easier, as well as getting important information out to new posters before letting them loose on the forum.

• Forum Admin

You guys should consider making a stuck announcement explaining tags and how to use them, whilst encouraging posters to do so every time they make a thread. I began using them when they were first implemented, but they weren't adopted by the membership so I stopped.

That is also a good idea. I think I mentioned before, I'm planning on doing short video tutorials on basic functionality on the forums. This will certainly be covered. It's not just good for new members, we all could use a refresher on neat or useful functionality.

If you want to be particularly stringent in dealing with spammers, you could force new posters into a read-only state for the rest of the forum until they've started a thread introducing themselves in the New Posters Forum. This can make damage control for spambots a bit easier, as well as getting important information out to new posters before letting them loose on the forum.

New members are forced to post in an existing thread, before posting a new topic - that's to stop spammers and over-eager members from posting to quickly before getting a feel for the forums. However, I've always wondered if that discouraged new members...

I personally agree. Originally i was hesitant to let people edit a posting [x] number of days after posting - because I thought it would be abused; i.e. someone changing their position and confusing everyone. But that hasn't really happened. People seem to edit to fix spelling and grammatical errors - which I believe is, in the long run, good for the forum and good for the individual contributor.

the 'edit time limit' reference was not to suggest preventing the editing of a post after some period of time; rather, the reference was in regards to a 'short' period of time (a minute or so), before the notification of an edit being made is attached to a post... to allow exactly what you speak of (grammar, spelling... and format/alignment type changes), to be applied before edit notification is attached to the post.

provide the time delay option before edit notification is applied to a post. Most/many edits are simply a result of format change/spelling corrections being applied. Some forums I'm aware of allow one to edit a post after it's submitted... for a 'minute or so'... before the edit notification is applied to a post.

Greg,

As mods, is there any way we could insert tags ourselves into OPs? I do not see that capability right now. I have encountered this feature in a different forum where we would assign relevant tags to posts/OPs where the member left them blank. If we had that capability, we could take suggestions from other members.

rather, the reference was in regards to a 'short' period of time (a minute or so), before the notification of an edit being made is attached to a post...

Yeah, that is how I read it too.

Nevertheless, I have a different idea on how to deal with this issue: remove TIME as the variable and let people edit their post as many times as they want until somebody attempts to reply directly to the post in question. Once somebody clicks on REPLY to that post or thread, the previous posts are locked and everybody involved is notified that they have to wake up a bit earlier next time!

Yeah, that is how I read it too.

Nevertheless, I have a different idea on how to deal with this issue: remove TIME as the variable and let people edit their post as many times as they want until somebody attempts to reply directly to the post in question. Once somebody clicks on REPLY to that post or thread, the previous posts are locked and everybody involved is notified that they have to wake up a bit earlier next time!

that would work to; as an aside, the recent change to provide a visual notification that a post has been quoted is a welcome addition... going beyond email notification setup/capability.

the 'edit time limit' reference was not to suggest preventing the editing of a post after some period of time; rather, the reference was in regards to a 'short' period of time (a minute or so), before the notification of an edit being made is attached to a post... to allow exactly what you speak of (grammar, spelling... and format/alignment type changes), to be applied before edit notification is attached to the post.

Most forums that I've posted at do as waldo is saying here. There's usually a 2 minute window or so to edit a post for typos. Other forums won't show the "edited" tag as long as no one has replied after you in the thread. This gives people enough time to make quick changes, but will notify people to changes if there's already been follow-up responses.

Greg,

As mods, is there any way we could insert tags ourselves into OPs? I do not see that capability right now. I have encountered this feature in a different forum where we would assign relevant tags to posts/OPs where the member left them blank. If we had that capability, we could take suggestions from other members.

This is a good idea that would make the tags more consistent as well.

That's exactly what I meant in post #133.

It suspect that I am being misunderstood. Scratch everything I wrote about my suggestion. Replace it with: "I dream of an extra template that looks like Reddit or My Little Forum while still retaining the motif and functionality of the current forum for those who like it the way it is."

Speaking of which, I would love to include links to the above sites sending you directly to see what I mean. Alas, my computer is on the blink. I have the misfortune of using a Microsoft box and what-MS-passes-off-as-a-browser just to scrape by and post this. I feel the pain of all you Microsoft clients.

Not made the jump for Firefox? With some of the add ons, it's great.

I'd like to have a sincere discussion about what type of improvements we can make to the MLW forums. I want to attract more members, and I think the best way to do that is to appeal to the existing membership for ideas and opinions on what we could do to make this forum the best in class.

I'm not just interested in new forum features, but modifications to existing forum features. This is an open thread, so lets hear from everyone, but PLEASE keep it on topic. The sky is the limit, I'm interested in all suggestions.

I feel you and Charles go above and beyond the call of duty. You are volunteers, and I respect that.

I would like a closer reading of posts before deciding on bans or suspensions. I am sincere when I say that most of my posts are meant to be serious. I apologize for sometimes being over the top.

I think a distinction should be made on whether a poster is, overall, constructive and a contributor, or is here looking for a fight.

I recently edited posts that some found offensive

Get rid of the trolls... this would make it more likely that new members who check out the site will stay. Also would make it a better place to have debates for current membership.

Edited by The_Squid

The best way to get rid of trolls is to deprive them of an audience. Some trolls are so bothered by this that they might even say this is an attempt to silence them. If you're typing up a reply and it's not related to the topic at the top of the page, just don't hit submit.

Good point.... You're right.

However, the mods do have the power to make the nuissances disappear immediately.

The best way to get rid of trolls is to deprive them of an audience. Some trolls are so bothered by this that they might even say this is an attempt to silence them. If you're typing up a reply and it's not related to the topic at the top of the page, just don't hit submit.

Sometimes I will quote a post and use that quote and my response as a thread-starter if I think it is off-topic or will derail a good discussion.

If you're typing up a reply and it's not related to the topic at the top of the page, just don't hit submit.

If anything, it's the opposite. Penalizing thread drift is a sure fire way to drive new people out. Conversations go where they go, and people should be able to respond to the discussion where it is without fear of a moderator acting like third grade hall monitor and giving "warning points". It's the most childish thing I've seen in a long time, and it's a big reason why I don't bother to participate here nearly as much as I used to.

If anything, it's the opposite. Penalizing thread drift is a sure fire way to drive new people out. Conversations go where they go, and people should be able to respond to the discussion where it is without fear of a moderator acting like third grade hall monitor and giving "warning points". It's the most childish thing I've seen in a long time, and it's a big reason why I don't bother to participate here nearly as much as I used to.

I agree with Bryan. Conversations will inevitably go off in another direction and I personally don't see what is wrong with that. Inevitably, they do come back to the topic at hand and branching out into other areas just makes for a more lively conversation. I do think that warning points for something so silly is not really conducive to an engaging and informative forum.

Nah...some members here just don't like to be pushed out of their comfort zones. Typical example: mentioning Canada in a "US Politics" thread is considered "trolling" by these folks, while referencing the USA in "Federal Politics" is not only acceptable, but consistently encouraged as the natural Canadian way of framing and communicating with each other about any issue.

WestCoastRunner... watch & learn! :lol:

Nah...some members here just don't like to be pushed out of their comfort zones. Typical example: mentioning Canada in a "US Politics" thread is considered "trolling" by these folks, while referencing the USA in "Federal Politics" is not only acceptable, but consistently encouraged as the natural Canadian way of framing and communicating with each other about any issue.

no - mentioning either country in the other country's 'Politics Forum', when relevant and associated with the topic in-hand, is completely legit and encouraged. You're confusing this legitimate practice with what you do... you know, like exactly what you did in the currently running/topical Fox News thread by deflecting with your CBC derail.

no - mentioning either country in the other country's 'Politics Forum', when relevant and associated with the topic in-hand, is completely legit and encouraged.

Thank you for agreeing with my point of view, and I look forward to many more spirited discussions. It is refreshing to have such enlightened members here at MLW. All nations are fair game as we compare and contrast national approaches to such meaty issues here at MLW.

Happy Valentines Day !

Edited by bush_cheney2004