New TV season... anything good on?

kimmy

Now why would you spoil that less than a day after the show ran?

I did last week an no one seemed to mind. I'll re-edit to include SPOILER!!!!!!!

I sort of saw this thread as the unofficial TD discussion thread anyway. My bad.

Edited by Boges

Yeah I'm usually ok with minor spoilers whatever, but the damn thing ran like 12 hours ago and that's a pretty big one to drop. Now I'll have to watch it tonight for sure.

It was a quick reveal at the end. The entire episode was pretty much Rust and Marty getting the band back together. I don't really think the spoiler ruins the effectiveness of the episode.

I'm amused by the description Flying Spaghetti Monster with Green ears. In a show where most things are symbolic they use an atheist meme to describe their antagonist.

I wonder if we're actually going to see him again. I wouldn't put it past the show to wrap things up with the core mystery unresolved.

I wonder if we're actually going to see him again. I wouldn't put it past the show to wrap things up with the core mystery unresolved.

I think they pretty much know the masterminds behind this whole cultish thing. It's the Tuttle family. They're more interested in what public officials are complicit in the cover-up. Which is why they appear to be about to torture a small town sheriff.

I was wondering if the boat they showed at the end of the episode was the one that Rust Marty and the Sheriff are on.

I've noted that the show likes to make its "reveals" in relatively anti-climactic ways....which I think a pointed and deliberate choice.

So when Rust's monologue about meeting "the monster" is met by an end-image of Reggie LeDoux, it is dramatic and frightening. But when we meet LeDoux he is--while certainly a "monster"--undramatic, a mere criminal, in the old "banality of evil" way.

Now we've got the same thing with scar-faced guy--a multi-episode build-up of dramatic terror surrounding this almost otherworldly creature...and then the anti-climax of actually meeting him.

I've noted that the show likes to make its "reveals" in relatively anti-climactic ways....which I think a pointed and deliberate choice.

So when Rust's monologue about meeting "the monster" is met by an end-image of Reggie LeDoux, it is dramatic and frightening. But when we meet LeDoux he is--while certainly a "monster"--undramatic, a mere criminal, in the old "banality of evil" way.

Now we've got the same thing with scar-faced guy--a multi-episode build-up of dramatic terror surrounding this almost otherworldly creature...and then the anti-climax of actually meeting him.

Scarface man is actually quite polite. I was thinking, gee that guy gives great directions. Wait they're closing in on his face, he's the guy!!!

Goes back to what Marty said about the Detective's Curse. The key to the case is always right underneath your nose but you don't know it when you see it. (paraphrasing)

Yes, it's really an old Detective Story theme, going at least as far back as Edgar Allen Poe.

Speaking of old detective story themes...I had been wondering (well, a little) why the show was called "True Detective." Seems odd, or even trite, when you think on it.

but the other day I read a little piece about the show...and yes, of course, it's an homage to the old "True Crime" salacious stories and novels: such stories always had police detectives who were dedicated, even zealous...but were also deeply troubled men, awash in inebriation and bad sexual experiences.

And as if to underline this, Marty even told the other cop (not truthfully, no) that he was writing "true crime" stories.

The True Detective series isn't a serialized drama like say Breaking Bad. This Sunday will be the end of the Rust and Marty arc.

So a comparison to a magazine is apt.

It's cool because we'll get closure and not be given some cliffhanger that'll just end up being frustrating. But bad because I'm not sure how they'll be able to repeat the success of this series unless they splurge on more A List actors.

Edited by Boges

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/02/how-true-detective-will-end-what-we-know-up-to-episode-7-after-you-ve-gone.html

Really good synopsis and predictions for True Detective.

I'm going to have to watch this series again to get all the different Tuttle's figured out.

A speculation in this story is that Marty's older daughter was being molested by her grandfather. (Maggie's Dad)

The True Detective series isn't a serialized drama like say Breaking Bad. This Sunday will be the end of the Rust and Marty arc.

So a comparison to a magazine is apt.

It's cool because we'll get closure and not be given some cliffhanger that'll just end up being frustrating. But bad because I'm not sure how they'll be able to repeat the success of this series unless they splurge on more A List actors.

That's one of the best things about this series. No "freak of the week" business, no dragging it on, no building up a web of complicated threads that can never be adequately unspooled (hi "Lost"!). Simple storytelling with a beginning, middle and end.

Well I won't delve too much into the finale of TD's first season yet, as it appears the people I was discussing the show with have been given a Rob Ford thread induced hiatus. :-/

It was interesting reading the predictions of how the finale would go from people who have combed over every detail of the first 7 episodes like it was a book report trying to find symbolism in everything. A lot of the predictions not bearing much fruit.

In the end people, I'm wondering if people will end up feeling disappointed at the ending because it turned into a philosophy class. I feel that it was a good ending to these character. (as far as I know)

The first 3/4's of the finale was perhaps the most gripping an intense things I've ever seen on TV. This one season might trump Breaking Bad as my favourite TV experiences of all time.

Anyone catch the firsr episode of Neil Tysons update of Sagan's Cosmos? Pretty good. Looking forward to the rest of it.

Yes..I watched it on Sunday. I am hoping that the re-introduction first episode is not indicative of all future shows. The history was necessary, but the animation (of Giordano Bruno) was distracting. Calendar time scale...got it...we've seen it before. Tyson's homage and personal dealings with Sagan were a nice touch. With intros over for a new and younger audience, now let's see some mind blowing cosmology...."billions and billions".

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm up to Episode 6 of True Detective. I think that this goes into the drawer of 'traditional TV procedurals juiced up for cable'. To see such things done with more depth and texture, watch Top of the Lake.

I find that even the best of the new breed of cable TV series struggles with whether they're TV or a long movie.

I'm up to Episode 6 of True Detective. I think that this goes into the drawer of 'traditional TV procedurals juiced up for cable'. To see such things done with more depth and texture, watch Top of the Lake.

I find that even the best of the new breed of cable TV series struggles with whether they're TV or a long movie.

Wow! first you bang on Breaking Bad and now TD? What type of TV do you like?

TD is anything but a procedural, if anything it's a Mini-series.

Yes..I watched it on Sunday. I am hoping that the re-introduction first episode is not indicative of all future shows. The history was necessary, but the animation (of Giordano Bruno) was distracting. Calendar time scale...got it...we've seen it before. Tyson's homage and personal dealings with Sagan were a nice touch. With intros over for a new and younger audience, now let's see some mind blowing cosmology...."billions and billions".

I agree on the Bruno animation but think this series is intended to be an updated version of Sagan's for those who didn't see or weren't even alive when the original came out. The original blew me away in 1980 and is a tough act to follow.

Edited by Wilber

Wow! first you bang on Breaking Bad and now TD? What type of TV do you like?

They're not *bad*, but they're just TV... spiced up a bit with swearing, violence and sex - the fat, salt, and sugar of the cable TV diet.

TD is anything but a procedural, if anything it's a Mini-series.

It's a procedural by definition, ie. crime, investigation, arrest... etc.