New TV season... anything good on?

kimmy

Just watched first episode of Bitten. It has potential (female werewolf living in Toronto). Chicago PD also seems like it might be decent, even though it's by the same people who make Chicago Fire, which is a joke of a show. At least the cops on PD aren't all underwear models like the firefighters. Orphan Black should be starting its second season soon. The first one was way too short, and very good. Killer Women is almost laugh-out-loud stupid but not quite enough to be worth watching. I've recently started watching Person of Interest. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Saw the 3rd Episode of True Detective.

Other than Harrelson's character beating up his mistresses boy toy we still haven't seen a nano-second of real pulse-pounding action.

But Damn, hearing the present day character say to the investigators "Have you ever been in a gun fight?" and the other character say there's usually a monster at the end of your nightmares, then to see some serial killer looking guy walking down a field at some sort of compound only to go to black. BRILLIANT!!! I guess this is why people binge watch TV shows these days.

I can hear all the atheists going Hell Yeah! to McConaughey's character constantly trashing religion. But for someone who sees self-awareness as a mutation he does seem to think about religion an awful lot.

Edited by Boges

Saw the 3rd Episode of True Detective.

Other than Harrelson's character beating up his mistresses boy toy we still haven't seen a nano-second of real pulse-pounding action.

But Damn, hearing the present day character say to the investigators "Have you ever been in a gun fight?" and the other character say there's usually a monster at the end of your nightmares, then to see some serial killer looking guy walking down a field at some sort of compound only to go to black. BRILLIANT!!! I guess this is why people binge watch TV shows these days.

I can hear all the atheists going Hell Yeah! to McConaughey's character constantly trashing religion. But for someone who sees self-awareness as a mutation he does seem to think about religion an awful lot.

I say 'Hell Yeah' to the quality of the writing, acting and direction. Good vs Evil is at the heart of the evangelical Christianity that is the center of this story, so good on them for having the spine to produce something that makes us think a bit. I'm sure there is some splatter coming , and soon, to satisfy everybody.

I will definitely give Agents more time. The first episode of many shows can be clunky. (I gave the first episode of Game Of Thrones a solid "meh" as well, but luckily gave it some time.)

I have been meaning to check out The Blacklist.

As for Sleepy Hollow... it sounds like the sort of thing I would like, but the reviews have been so terrible that I haven't watched it.

-k

AGENTS is not bad, have to take it in the context and style of the show. Superheroes!! Shows like Arrow are purposefully cheezed up with some cliches and overacting. However, once you understand that, it becomes a pretty damn good show. It's based on comic book graphic novel format, so I approach AGENTS the same way and find it enjoyable.

True Detective is my favourite at the moment. I think the slow burn is working extremely well.

The tension between Belief and Disbelief--as well as the internal battles within each--is really good, and matched by the characters' own internal struggles. This is high quality stuff. Also, the constant mood of...dread, as I see it. Outstanding.

In my view, this is the best police procedural ever on tv. The three existing episodes are worth more than all the Law and Order franchises combined.

In my view, this is the best police procedural ever on tv. The three existing episodes are worth more than all the Law and Order franchises combined.

A little early for that... but it is very good indeed so far.

I heard somewhere that this is an eight episode arc. If they do another or more of the series , it will have different actors.

Have you seen The Killing? The first story line is a bit overlong, but it is also quite dark and unvarnished. Recommended.

Oh, and let us not forget The Wire in any 'best ever' contest.

Edited by overthere

It's true there are a few goodies to be enjoyed (though I maintain that Law and Order is a little on the "meh" side.)

But for my money, I still think True Detective has them all beat...at only three episodes.

Sure, it could get worse...and any possible subsequent seasons might or might not live up to my subjective love affair with it.

But so far, I think it's the best yet.

The best years of Law and Order were the Sam Waterston era.

They had a tried and true formula, and one reason it ran for so very long was that they could -ann frequently did- plug new characters into ongoing roles without losing their audience. That is unusual in TV dramas.

Often the reason they did it was more mundane: money. When actors get exposed in a successful series like Law and Order, they soon want more money. Sometimes everybody wants lots more. It had killed quite a few, the producers cannot keep a cast together and it crumbles from within. L and O avoided all that while remaining profitable and spinning off a few other moneymakers.

True Detective fans were finally treated to some action! It was kind of unbelievable that a person could actually do what Rust did there but it was still freakin' awesome.

His description of what a Mexican cartel does to kill people (face removal and genital chocking was horrifying)

BTW Walking Dead started up again last night. Pretty good start the the second half of the season. It appears they'll show all the characters separated and they'll slowly meet up again but in the mean time we get to see how, what's happened, has affected each mentally. Excellent strategy IMHO.

I have been watching the new "Intelligence" show. It's about a US government agent who has a computer planted in his brain that allows him to access information, hack computers and security systems, and this sort of thing. He can also create 3d renderings of scenes in his head that allow him to investigate them. It's pretty high-concept and the technological stuff seems awfully far-fetched, but I find the show enjoyable because of the cast. It stars Josh Holloway ("Sawyer", from Lost) as the agent, Meghan Ory ("Ruby"/"Red Riding Hood" from Once Upon A Time) as a Secret Service agent assigned to protect him, and Marg Helgenberger ("Catherine Willows" from CSI, obviously) as their overseer.

Their weekly espionage capers are somewhat far fetched but entertaining. What makes it work is the interaction of Holloway and Ory. Each week their working and personal relationship develops a little more, in a way that seems authentic. I think the show would probably still work if their characters were Josh from Marketing and Meg from Accounting.

-k

I'm going to start watching a new (to me) series and have heard good things about both Weeds and House of Cards. Any thoughts on either show?

Weeds is a blast until it jumps the shark near or in the last season or two.

Also has one the funniest lines ever. Watch for the Mayor and the brother smoking a joint and asking the housekeeper a question.

I still laught thinking abouit it

Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson just keep raising the ante on quality acting with every episode of True Detective, And now they have gone from procedure and philosophy to hardcore action. Awesome show.

Speaking of Intelligence, does anybody remember the CBC crime drama that ran several years ago? I really liked that show, which ended abruptly after 2 seasons and left the plot hanging.

Sure they're both deeply flawed but it's Rust that is suspected of the 2012 killing. He's the on searching that school.

If you remember Marty was interviewing a grounds keeper there and Rust cut it short.

Of course I'm sure it's not that simple.

BTW like with any good show this one has some source material.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_King_in_Yellow

Edited by Boges

Shows like True Detective are the type of show you really need to binge watch. But I'm already invested and want to see the show as it comes out.

Present day Rust comes to Marty's car and say they need to go for a drink. Marty checks to see how many bullets he has in his gun, then follows Rust to wherever he's going. Fade to Black.

COME ON!!!!!!!!

We found out that Marty's ex wife bleeped Rust to get back to him for cheating on her again. Cursed selfies!

We know that there's some weird cultish pedophilia thing going on that started with Christian private schools. We know that Rust was essentially dismissed as he was trying to figure out who this "Yellow King" is. Clearly he's ruffled some feathers in his investigation.

We don't know what Marty has been doing in the 10 years since his marriage fell a part. We do know that Rust has been off the radar and when he shows up again the Religious leader he suspects is masterminding this pedophilia cult dies. 2 more episodes left.

Fantastic Show. It'll sweep the Emmy's later this year. Sorry Mad Men.

Edited by Boges