New TV season... anything good on?

kimmy

Shows like True Detective are the type of show you really need to binge watch. But I'm already invested and want to see the show as it comes out.

Present day Rust comes to Marty's car and say they need to go for a drink. Marty checks to see how many bullets he has in his gun, then follows Rust to wherever he's going. Fade to Black.

COME ON!!!!!!!!

We found out that Marty's ex wife bleeped Rust to get back to him for cheating on her again. Cursed selfies!

We know that there's some weird cultish pedophilia thing going on that started with Christian private schools. We know that Rust was essentially dismissed as he was trying to figure out who this "Yellow King" is. Clearly he's ruffled some feathers in his investigation.

We don't know what Marty has been doing in the 10 years since his marriage fell a part. We do know that Rust has been off the radar and when he shows up again the Religious leader he suspects is masterminding this pedophilia cult dies. 2 more episodes left.

Fantastic Show. It'll sweep the Emmy's later this year. Sorry Mad Men.

I'm already planning on re-watching the thing in a chunk when it wraps. It's a show where you can miss a lot.

You read up on any of the background mythology it is drawing from?

I'm already planning on re-watching the thing in a chunk when it wraps. It's a show where you can miss a lot.

You read up on any of the background mythology it is drawing from?

It's from an 1895 book written by Robert W. Chambers called "The King in Yellow". Apparently it's topped the Amazon list in recent weeks.

Apparently, if you read it, it provides some spoilers on how the series might play out. If the show provides a satisfying ending on who the Yellow King actually is, I might take a look at the source material myself.

My only complaint with TD is the way it handles its female characters. It could be argued that it's using well worn tropes to highlight the ugly misogyny prevalent in the genre, but that would be at odds with all the gratuitous T&A shots.

Or how horrible men can be to women. I read an article about it this morning.

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/television/2014/02/true_detective_the_women_on_the_show_are_treated_badly_but_there_s_a_good.html

The irony of the scene where Marty gives the young prostitute money to get out of the bidness only to get her in bed 7 years later is hilarious. Especially the way it was foreshadowed.

Marty's wife thoroughly owned him. I think her character turned out to be fairly strong. You got a few mistresses thrown in there, one being one of the hottest women I've seen on TV. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1275259/

I think people are just nitpicking here. Rust seem to care a great deal about women. Except ones that kill her kids obviously. Marty on the otherhand is obviously a misogynist and is exposed as such.

People want to bitch about treatment of women in TV all the time. Everyone hated Lori in Walking Dead, Skylar in Breaking Bad, Margaret in Boardwalk Empires, but the women characters that do resonate with the public never seen to get as much pub.

Edited by Boges

I think people are just nitpicking here. Rust seem to care a great deal about women. Except ones that kill her kids obviously. Marty on the otherhand is obviously a misogynist and is exposed as such.

I think that can be shown without the gratuitous T&A, no? Seems like they want to have their cheescake and to eat it too.

People want to bitch about treatment of women in TV all the time..

I think they should. We've had decades of silence on this stuff, why not point out where the medium can improve?

Everyone hated Lori in Walking Dead, Skylar in Breaking Bad, Margaret in Boardwalk Empires, but the women characters that do resonate with the public never seen to get as much pub

Lori was a great example of a typical female character: a one-dimensional scold who busts the male protagonists balls. Skylar was regarded as a scold/harpy such by dumb people, but was actually a great character who really rounded out as the series progressed. her abject terror and revulsion of Walt, the husband who became her de facto captor in the final season was outstanding. Margaret was ok, but never given much to do. Who are the characters you think "resonate with the public"?

The best female characters on TV today, IMO, are the women of Mad Men (ironic, given the milieu in which it is set). Girls, obviously. Orange is the New Black for sure. Game of Thrones has done better as its gone on, probably in response to early criticisms. It's probably a pretty good time for depictions of women on screen overall to be honest, which is why I think it matters to point out instances where they get short shrift.

I think that can be shown without the gratuitous T&A, no? Seems like they want to have their cheescake and to eat it too.

It's HBO. Game of Thrones doesn't need to show boobies either, but they can and do. Did Lena Dunham need to show herself nude to make Girls funny?

I think they should. We've had decades of silence on this stuff, why not point out where the medium can improve?

Sure, but a show so great as TD doesn't need to be called sexist. I think the examples of sexism are done for a reason.

Margaret was ok, but never given much to do. Who are the characters you think "resonate with the public"?

You'll probably snicker but I'm a big fan of Michonne from Walking Dead. The best characters, other than Tyrion, on Game of Thrones are women/girls. I watch Comedies where women play strongly, 2 Broke Girls for example. I'm one of the few people that still watch CSI, The women on that show are all good characters.

I'll be honest I find most of the characters on Girls regrettable people, Especially the lead. Lena Dunham's character is rage-inducing. Once they gave her OCD, I checked out of the show.

I don't like the lead of OitNB she's rather smug. Many of the other characters on that show are terrific. Looking forward to season 2 in June.

Edited by Boges

It's HBO. Game of Thrones doesn't need to show boobies either, but they can and do. Did Lena Dunham need to show herself nude to make Girls funny?

It's a bit different when Dunham does it, no?

Sure, but a show so great as TD doesn't need to be called sexist. I think the examples of sexism are done for a reason.

I think you can question a shows treatment of female characters without out and out calling it sexist.

You'll probably snicker but I'm a big fan of Michonne from Walking Dead. The best characters, other than Tyrion, on Game of Thrones are women/girls. I watch Comedies where women play strongly, 2 Broke Girls for example. I'm one of the few people that still watch CSI, The women on that show are all good characters.

I don't watch the WD anymore, so I'm not sure how they manage that. I think that show is pretty equal opportunity in crafting dull, flat characters.

I'll be honest I find most of the characters on Girls regrettable people, Especially the lead. Lena Dunham's character is rage-inducing. Once they gave her OCD, I checked out of the show.

That's what makes Girls so groundbreaking. Traditionally, women could be sexpots, they could be scolds, but they could never be real detestable people. Dunham et al's unlikeability is kinda the point.

I don't like the lead of OitNB she's rather smug. Many of the other characters on that show are terrific. Looking forward to season 2 in June.

Again: that's the point, no?

It's a bit different when Dunham does it, no?

Why because she's objectively not as attractive as the naked women you see in GoT, Banshee or TD? Is she making a point by this?

I think you can question a shows treatment of female characters without out and out calling it sexist.

Sure, in the case of TD I think the treatment of women is pretty much the point of the show though. It's not like the writers have something against women.

I don't watch the WD anymore, so I'm not sure how they manage that. I think that show is pretty equal opportunity in crafting dull, flat characters.

Black women with dreadlocks that has a sword. When it comes down to it, Walking Dead is first and foremost, a comic book.

That's what makes Girls so groundbreaking. Traditionally, women could be sexpots, they could be scolds, but they could never be real detestable people. Dunham et al's unlikeability is kinda the point.

Good point, I guess with Girls there were just too many heels to handle.

Again: that's the point, no?

Sure, and unlike Girls there's still enough there to keep me engaged in the show.

Why because she's objectively not as attractive as the naked women you see in GoT, Banshee or TD? Is she making a point by this?

Yes and yes and also that it's her show.

Sure, in the case of TD I think the treatment of women is pretty much the point of the show though. It's not like the writers have something against women.

And my point is the gratuitous tits and ass don't really serve that end.

Black women with dreadlocks that has a sword. When it comes down to it, Walking Dead is first and foremost, a comic book.

Having read the series, I think you do it a disservice. The comic book is way better done with way more fleshed out characters than the show.

Good point, I guess with Girls there were just too many heels to handle.

Yeah, even I took some time away from it for that reason. It was getting a little too deep into Curb Your Enthusiasm territory.

Sure, and unlike Girls there's still enough there to keep me engaged in the show.

All I'm saying is, Piper's smugness and privilege are central to the plot.

And my point is the gratuitous tits and ass don't really serve that end.

T&A does sell. Sure the show stands on its merits but it's not like True Blood would be a vastly different show if it didn't show T&A either. I'm not sure why shows feel the need to include it but as a hetro male, I'm not going to have issues with it.

Having read the series, I think you do it a disservice. The comic book is way better done with way more fleshed out characters than the show.

The show got me into the comics. I really love the comics. It's a different medium though, can't do the same stuff. The comic got pretty boring for awhile until they introduced a new bad guy though.

All I'm saying is, Piper's smugness and privilege are central to the plot.

Certainly. You sort of root against her though. Except when some Fundamentalist Christian Meth-head wants her dead of course.

Edited by Boges

T&A does sell. Sure the show stands on its merits but it's not like True Blood would be a vastly different show if it didn't show T&A either. I'm not sure why shows feel the need to include it but as a hetro male, I'm not going to have issues with it.

I trust you mean True Detective. True Blood without T&A would be a blank screen. :)

I have some agreement with the criticism you link (which is extremely harsh...and I don't think it is just the sex that bugs this reviewer). But I think she goes too far.

I think it's a fantastic show, as I've said. And if the female characters aren't terribly fleshed out....well, might we not point out that no one on the show, outside the two leads, is given much characterization...female or male?

I thought her pretty weak as a character, but yes, in the last episode she has become more interesting.

At any rate, as I said, I'm not 100% keen on the critique anyway; I think Black Dog and others have made a decent point with the "cheesecake" factor; but as for women not being sufficiently characterized....like I said, no one is, beyond the two leads; so it's not clear to me that this is a weakness in the show....

Is that what you got from the piece? Strange reading IMO.

Among other things. I found the piece is just trying to be contrarian.

Don’t get me wrong: I love a nice bouncy rack. And if a show has something smart to say about sex, bring it on. But, after years of watching “Boardwalk Empire,” “Ray Donovan,” “House of Lies,” and so on, I’ve turned prickly, and tired of trying to be, in the novelist Gillian Flynn’s useful phrase, the Cool Girl: a good sport when something smells like macho nonsense. And, frankly, “True Detective” reeks of the stuff. The series, for all its good looks and its movie-star charisma, isn’t just using dorm-room deep talk as a come-on: it has fallen for its own sales pitch.

Among other things. I found the piece is just trying to be contrarian.

It had some good points though. Lost me a bit when it praised Top of The Lake (which was a mess, a beautiful to look at cypher), but overall I can see where she's coming from and why.

The part you quoted? Spot-on AFAIC, though Trie Detective is head and shoulders above those other shows mentioned.

SPOILER!!!!

TD went with a typical trope of revealing the killer to be someone we saw earlier not thinking he was anyone worth remembering.

The lawnmower driver was the killer!!!

This entire series needs a re-visit after next season. So much stuff earlier in the series will likely make much more sense after we know how the series ends up playing out.

Edited by Boges