Why our mindsets are so different

Canada is far less religious than the US, no matter what slogans may be plastered in our respective documents. You'd have to be blind and or deaf not to realize that.
Smallc, you know nothing of Canadian "histry".
"V. And, for the more perfect Security and Ease of the Minds of the Inhabitants of the said Province," it is hereby declared, That his Majesty's Subjects, professing the Religion of the Church of Rome of and in the said Province of Quebec. may have, hold, and enjoy, the free Exercise of the Religion of the Church of Rome, subject to the King's Supremacy, declared and established by an Act, made in the first Year of the Reign of Queen Elizabeth, over all the Dominions and Countries which then did, or thereafter should belong, to the Imperial Crown of this Realm; and that the Clergy of the said Church may hold, receive, and enjoy, their accustomed Dues and Rights, with respect to such Persons only as shall profess the said Religion.
"... in our respective documents."
How sad. Edited by August1991

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US news isn't international news here either. It's US news.

Yes, and therein lies the distinction. Many Canadians morph in and out of an American consciousness and frame of mind when it suits their purpose, becoming "North Americans" but curiously ignoring Mexico.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I know a great deal about Canadian history. Canada is a far more secular nation. I don't know what's so hard for you to grasp about that.
Then why, Smallc, has religion been so important in the historical documents of Canada?

And why are so many federal PMs Catholic? (Joe Clark, John Turner, Paul Martin, John Thompson... )

Having lived in both Vancouver and Seattle extensively, I can say I've detected no discernible difference in "mindset" whatsoever. Now Montreal on the other hand... that was like living on an alien planet.

You work in Seattle is why. If you worked in Alabama I bet youd notice a difference.

The coastal and northern states have a mindset a lot like ours. Its not that the US and Canada have radically different mindsets is that the southern states that lost the civil war have a different mindset than the rest of the US and Canadians as well.

My guess is someone from the pink area on this map will notice a difference in the general mindset if they visit the green area.

jland.jpg

Guest Derek L

...and to be "accurate", the map would have some "green" in parts of Alberta and Quebec.

But you could divide said map up even further……..After living in Texas for near two years, coupled with Halifax and Canada’s West Coast urban centers, Vancouver and Victoria, you could find more similarities in terms of psyche between Vancouver and Houston or Dallas (Or Calgary and Amarillo), then Vancouver and Halifax……….

Guest Derek L

Works for me...most people, whether they be Canadian or American, are quite pragmatic about such things. Albertans and Texans certainly understand each other when it comes to an oil patch.

Or an Asian born Computer programmer living in Houston or Vancouver……..The only real difference are the licence plates……….And I have no idea why Alaska would be included in “Jesusland”……Juneau Alaska reminds me of North Vancouver……..A clean, wealthy city on the side of a mountain……..With perhaps the Alaskans being a little more friendly and a lot less snooty…..

Guest American Woman

You work in Seattle is why. If you worked in Alabama I bet youd notice a difference.

The coastal and northern states have a mindset a lot like ours. Its not that the US and Canada have radically different mindsets is that the southern states that lost the civil war have a different mindset than the rest of the US and Canadians as well.

My guess is someone from the pink area on this map will notice a difference in the general mindset if they visit the green area.

jland.jpg

Here's another map that perhaps represents "Jesusland" at least a little more accurately:

JESUSLAND%202011.JPG

-----------------------------------------

I don't understand the need by some Canadians to present Canada as secular, especially as if it's somehow better for it.

-----------------------------------------

I spend quite a bit of time on both sides of the border. I'm speaking in generalities of course. There are Americans who are very well informed and Canadians who are clueless.

Of course there are well informed Americans and clueless Canadians - and vice versa - so I don't understand your claim that Americans are less knowledgeable. Sounds like a bias to me. No matter how much time you spend in the U.S., you don't run into but the smallest fraction of the 310+ million Americans, and I doubt you have a legitimate basis to judge the knowledge of the ones you do run into. I've run into Canadians while in Canada who were lacking in knowledge of their own country, so I'm assuming they wouldn't fare much better in foreign affairs, but I've never judged Canadians as less knowledgeable than Americans because of it.

This seems to be another difference - the apparent need by some to present Americans in a less favorable light than Canadians. Also, many Canadians have no problem bashing Americans - as they claim to be more tolerant. I just don't see that in the U.S. regarding Canadians.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman
I thought this was about how we are different, not who is better. I said I think Americans are more inward looking and I stand by that.

And I said I think that mindset is based on a bias, and I stand by that.

AW, you raise a broader question. Canadians have the benefit that most people around the world know nothing about us. We're like Icelanders. Individual Americans abroad, OTOH, bear the burden of everything their country has ever done: from jazz, Mickey Mouse to Hiroshima.

Agreed; and I think that's bound to have an effect on our mindset in some ways.

Edited by American Woman

And I said I think that mindset is based on a bias, and I stand by that.

Call it what you want, it is an opinion based on personal experience and observation. It wasn't meant to give offense although you seem to have taken it that way. As BC said, Americans are less likely to leave their own country because they don't feel they have a need to. If our circumstances were the same, I have no reason to think we would be very different.

Guest American Woman
Call it what you want, it is an opinion based on personal experience and observation. It wasn't meant to give offense although you seem to have taken it that way. As BC said, Americans are less likely to leave their own country because they don't feel they have a need to. If our circumstances were the same, I have no reason to think we would be very different.

I will call it as I see it; and of course a statement such as "one would think they [Americans] should be better informed about what goes on outside their universe" isn't meant to give offense at all. What was I thinking? dry.png As for leaving one's own country - that's a different topic.

Many Europeans ridicule the Americans because so relatively few Americans as a percentage of the population own a passport. However, it needs to be remembered that the USA is larger than Western-Europe in geographical size and travelling to Europe can be very costly.

Canada is far less religious than the US, no matter what slogans may be plastered in our respective documents. You'd have to be blind and or deaf not to realize that.

Probably more accurate to say religion plays less of a role in the public discourse in Canada than the U.S. Perhaps that would satisfy the pedants.

The United States is considered one of the most religious countries in the world while Canada has become more secular. Studies have shown that 43% of Americans go to a religious service at least once a week while in Canada it is about 20%. In America, 50% of teens go once a week; in Canada, it is 21%.
http://americanturba...us-than-canada/

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

BC is very non-religious if by that you mean identifying as an adherent of an organized religion.

Edited by Canuckistani