Why our mindsets are so different

He's known as "the King who lost America."

He may well be. However, he couldn't have overruled his parliament (the majority of which favoured quelling the rebellion; favouritism that was necessary for the conflict to continue, since no moneys were made available to fund the military without parliament's approval).

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
Not really related to his condition, but whatever makes you feel good.

According to the "Official Website of the British Monarchy:"

The American war, its political aftermath and family anxieties placed great strain on George in the 1780s. After serious bouts of illness in 1788-89 and again in 1801, George became permanently deranged in 1810.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/historyofthemonarchy/kingsandqueensoftheunitedkingdom/thehanoverians/georgeiii.aspx

But yeah, it's about "what makes [me] feel good." rolleyes.gif

George III was no dummy...he had the vision to see that a growing and powerful America....
With time, I have come to view the obvious fact that history is context. To understand my point (and understand better the future), put yourself as a blogger/forum participant in, say, 1755.

What would you say about George II or George III and Frederick the Great? America was distant, irrelevant and noisy, like Waziristan today. Canada was a few acres of snow.

----

Now, imagine yourself a person in 2355, looking back on history.

According to the "Official Website of the British Monarchy:"

The American war, its political aftermath and family anxieties placed great strain on George in the 1780s. After serious bouts of illness in 1788-89 and again in 1801, George became permanently deranged in 1810.

http://www.royal.gov.../georgeiii.aspx

But yeah, it's about "what makes [me] feel good." rolleyes.gif

Yes, losing the United States gave him a rare hereditary blood disease. laugh.png

I never realized how different we are, until I read this thread. We are basically speaking a different language, and there may be no way to cross that divide.

Also I should like to point out, the conservatives in Canada stand for preserving its traditions and heritage, by resisting unnecessary change whereas the Liberals think change is good, as in "modernization" and in doing so, they risk the inevitable "Americanization".

Guest American Woman

Yes, losing the United States gave him a rare hereditary blood disease. laugh.png

You do realize that that's just a hypothesis, right? Disputed by many? Sure, you know that - after all, you're a worldly Canadian. ;)

You do realize that that's just a hypothesis, right? Disputed by many? Sure, you know that - after all, you're a worldly Canadian. wink.png

Another hypothesis is arsenic. Another is syphilis. Of course he could have just been mentally ill. But there's no evidence he was driven mad by losing the colonies as much as you may wish it so.

Guest American Woman

Another hypothesis is arsenic. Another is syphilis. Of course he could have just been mentally ill. But there's no evidence he was driven mad by losing the colonies as much as you may wish it so.

Yes, I "wish it so." rolleyes.gif Good Lord, get a grip. laugh.png

There are other hypothesis as well, and in case you're unaware, stress can be a factor/play a part.

Yes, I "wish it so." rolleyes.gif Good Lord, get a grip. laugh.png

I'm assuming your wacky and unsubstantiated theory is based on your belief in America's intrinsic superiority. It fits your MO and your general attitude as half of our resident "USA! USA"" troll tag team.

There are other hypothesis as well, and in case you're unaware, stress can be a factor/play a part.

Do you have any actual evidence that his mental state was affected by the rebellion beyond simple correlation between the events?

Guest American Woman

I'm assuming your wacky and unsubstantiated theory is based on your belief in America's intrinsic superiority. It fits your MO and your general attitude as half of our resident "USA! USA"" troll tag team.

And I'm assuming your ignorant belief about my beliefs is based on your own feelings of inferiority. It fits your MO and general attitude as part of the 'Penis Envy' troll tag team. wink.png

Do you have any actual evidence that his mental state was affected by the rebellion beyond simple correlation between the events?

Do you have any actual evidence that it doesn't? As I said, there is evidence that stress is a factor/plays into such things.

Edited by American Woman

And I'm assuming your ignorant belief about my beliefs is based on your own feelings of inferiority. It fits your MO and general attitude as part of the 'Penis Envy' troll tag team. wink.png

It's based on experience. Mine and pretty much everyone else on this board who has any sort of interaction with you. At least your buddy is forthright in his schtick. You, sadly, seem to actually be sincere.

Do you have any actual evidence that it doesn't? As I said, there is evidence that stress is a factor/plays into such things.

So your answer is "no, I don't have any evidence." That wasn't so hard, was it?

Guest American Woman

It's based on experience. Mine and pretty much everyone else on this board who has any sort of interaction with you. At least your buddy is forthright in his schtick. You, sadly, seem to actually be sincere.

Your "experience" = your opinion, which is affected by your attitude. Just as I said. The fact that you think everyone who engages in discussion with me feels the same way you do speaks of your delusional beliefs.

But do continue to see Americans who have " belief in America's intrinsic superiority" around every corner, even though they've never said any such thing - and have, in fact, said just the opposite. It just confirms my beliefs about yours.

So your answer is "no, I don't have any evidence." That wasn't so hard, was it?

I don't know. You tell me. Was is hard? I have to assume it was, since you seemed hellbent on saying I was wrong, even as you can't prove that you do have proof. You might want to try engaging in a discussion without the 'omg, she's an American!' attitude. How hard would that be?

In the meantime, have a great day! smile.png

Edited by American Woman

Your "experience" = your opinion, which is affected by your attitude. Just as I said. The fact that you think everyone who engages in discussion with me feels the same way you do speaks of your delusional beliefs.

Except it's not a delusion. See, I've been paying attention and have seen enough people write you off after these types of discussions to know where the problem lies.

But do continue to see Americans who have " belief in America's intrinsic superiority" around every corner, even though they've never said any such thing - and have, in fact, said just the opposite. It just confirms my beliefs about yours.

No, I see two: one an admitted troll and you. And you don't have to say it (though you have): it comes through loud and clear.

I don't know. You tell me. Was is hard? I have to assume it was, since you seemed hellbent on saying I was wrong, even as you can't prove that you do have proof.

Of what do I need proof? Again, most theories point to a medical issue that may have exacerbated a pre-existing psychological issue. What do you offer? A throwaway line from a website mentioning how the American war stressed him out (as it would have) and the suggestion that this led to his falling into madness some decades later. This isn't even a debate anymore.

You might want to try engaging in a discussion without the 'omg, she's an American!' attitude. How hard would that be?

Just playing off your shtick.

Edited by Black Dog

Guest American Woman

Except it's not a delusion. See, I've been paying attention and have seen enough people write you off after these types of discussions to know where the problem lies.

Your "attention" is clearly one sided, and speaks for your ignorant conclusions, just as I've said; it's your delusion - and once again, it supports my beliefs. That you fail to understand that just supports it even more. Think what you will - or more the the point, think what you need to think.

And with that, I'm done with this line of 'discussion,' as your accusations of "troll" speak of you. :)

Your "attention" is clearly one sided, and speaks for your ignorant conclusions, just as I've said; it's your delusion - and once again, it supports my beliefs. That you fail to understand that just supports it even more. Think what you will - or more the the point, think what you need to think.

This is barely English. Is it American?

And with that, I'm done with this line of 'discussion,' as your accusations of "troll" speak of you. smile.png

FTR I don't think you are a troll in the sense of it being a gimmick. I think you are genuinely as gormless as you play at.

Guest American Woman

FTR I don't think you are a troll in the sense of it being a gimmick. I think you are genuinely as gormless as you play at.

Excellent. Then exercise some self control - and don't respond to me. Every time you do, it's along this line - the 'you are a stupid troll who thinks America is the best country on earth - die!' mindset. I've ignored you for months on end. Could you please return the favor? Thank you in advance.

Excellent. Then exercise some self control - and don't respond to me. Every time you do, it's along this line - the 'you are a stupid troll who thinks America is the best country on earth - die!' mindset. I've ignored you for months on end. Could you please return the favor? Thank you in advance.

You've ignored me? You have a funny way of showing it by constantly responding to me. laugh.png

As for the rest: I'll do as I like.

Guest American Woman
You've ignored me? You have a funny way of showing it by constantly responding to me. laugh.png

As for the rest: I'll do as I like.

I didn't respond to you for months, which shows just how impressive your observations skills are, since I only "constantly responded to you" in your head. Now once again. Please try showing me the same restraint. In the event that you are unable to do so, I won't be surprised.

Black demonstrates some kind of anger just under the surface. It's never a bad decision to avoid those types.

Edited by sharkman